What next for Ryan Giggs?

ExoduS

Needs to work on himself. Some very, very serious work. Probably has to quit booze for good - that is a start. Then needs anger management training.

Yeah, long recovery ahead of him if he wants to recover. If he doesn't, he is gonna end up doing something extreme and then his life will be forever ruined.

Was at times my favorite United player. I will never understand how behind such calm and collected footballer is a very problematic person.

Ladron de redcafe

Needs to work on himself. Some very, very serious work. Probably has to quit booze for good - that is a start. Then needs anger management training.

Yeah, long recovery ahead of him if he wants to recover. If he doesn't, he is gonna end up doing something extreme and then his life will be forever ruined.

Was at times my favorite United player. I will never understand how behind such calm and collected footballer is a very problematic person.
I agree with most of this but I don't think his behaviour is necessarily all driven by anger or that he has shown that he has a booze problem. This isn't George Best. It's just a pretty selfish human being who seems to have flimsy morals.

ExoduS

I agree with most of this but I don't think his behaviour is necessarily all driven by anger or that he has shown that he has a booze problem. This isn't George Best. It's just a pretty selfish human being who seems to have flimsy morals.
It doesn't appear that Giggs is a chronic alcoholic, it appears that when he drinks he makes extremely poor decisions. Basically he loses ability to control unacceptable urges when he drinks.

I've seen people in my life who drink occasionally - once a month - and very often make fool of themselves each time they drink. One doesn't need to be killing themselves with booze daily in order to have an alcohol problem.

redmanx

We have a statue of George Best outside the stadium.
And? Best was an alchoholic which is an illness and it killed him. Yes he did some foolish things when he was drunk. Giggs is a bully who likes controlling women, though Im sure some would say thats an illness too; but his behaviour was reprehensible and cannot be forgiven.

Tyrion

And? Best was an alchoholic which is an illness and it killed him. Yes he did some foolish things when he was drunk. Giggs is a bully who likes controlling women, though Im sure some would say thats an illness too; but his behaviour was reprehensible and cannot be forgiven.
Afaik, Best was a massive womaniser but I never heard of him abusing any of them. If that did happen, then I'd be fine with them removing the statue. Otherwise, I don’t get why anyone would judge him for a lot of consensual relationships.

acnumber9

What’s the cut off for what is acceptable?

acnumber9

Afaik, Best was a massive womaniser but I never heard of him abusing any of them. If that did happen, then I'd be fine with them removing the statue. Otherwise, I don’t get why anyone would judge him for a lot of consensual relationships.
Because it happened a long time ago.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I have bad news for you…

Abraxas

Couldn't care less.

Not the best fella is he? But he's a free man and able to resume his career in some capacity. But he's not going to be plying his trade at the top end of coaching anytime soon. Not good enough and all this stuff has completely taken the wind out of the sails for career development.

If I was him I'd disappear off abroad and learn my trade out there.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yep just looked into it. Bollix. I learned about him when I was a kid and didn't really care about the details of what he got up to away from football.
It would be interesting to know when Best's behaviour changed. From looking at documentaries/books, it feels like things changed for the worst when Sir Matt Busby retired. I got the impression that if he'd had some stronger positive influences around him, things may have turned out very different for him. He played with the likes of Crerard, Charlton, Law who were all coming to the end when he was arguably about to approach his prime age and there probably wasn't the energy to look out for him and stop him from going down that very dark path.

By all accounts, his behaviour and attitude was absolutely appalling throughout the 70s and 80s. He was also very much a product of the time where that kind of behaviour was tolerated far too often. Had he been around now and doing that, he would have been called out and fans relationship with him would have been very different. He also probably wouldn't have a statue outside the ground.

Giggs did his bad things (whether that's morally wrong or potentially criminally wrong) at a time when social media is everything and it's a lot more difficult to hide from your bad deeds.

MegadrivePerson

I don't see any way back in to a major football role for Giggs.

He's too toxic and in 2023 most teams will decide that he's not worth the hassle.

RVN1991

If there was ever anyone perfectly suited for Saudi Arabia it's this fecking guy right here.

Moriarty

Yep just looked into it. Bollix. I learned about him when I was a kid and didn't really care about the details of what he got up to away from football.
I loved watching him play but his later life, especially after his liver transplant, was a train wreck. Arrested for allegedly indecently assaulting a 13 year old, accused of punching women, and going after anything in a skirt, married or not, were stories that followed him around.

stepic

he's not exactly shown himself to be an elite manager or anything. he won't get any major jobs now, and nor he should. feck him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't see any way back in to a major football role for Giggs.

He's too toxic and in 2023 most teams will decide that he's not worth the hassle.
He's less toxic than some that have already gotten back into football.

Having said that he's still a bellend and I think he won't get big jobs purely because he's not that good of a manager.

acnumber9

he's not exactly shown himself to be an elite manager or anything. he won't get any major jobs now, and nor he should. feck him.
He’s had one job and qualified for the Euros in it. Not elite but then other things got in the way of proving anything further.

wolvored

Dont know if his reputation off the pitch will affect teams hiring him. Has he now gone past his sell by date?

Chairman Steve

I don’t think he’s that great a coach or manager, so fade into punditry probably. I’ve always felt that a lot of the Fergie disciples probably weren’t destined for the elite level of management considering they spent most (if not all) of their playing days under one guy at club level. It gives them a really limited insight into coaching and management regardless of whether the manager they worked for may have been the greatest ever.

redmanx

Was he ever accused of anything.
Bestie was arrested for drunk driving and spent some time inside for assaulting a policeman while drunk. I dont condone Bests behaviour but his crimes pale into insignificance when compared to the crime of beating and bullying women. Most people who rteally knew Best say he had his demons but only when drunk, and usually he was a "good" drunk, not violent at all, but no doubt he didnt like being man handled by the copper so he hit him. Again, what he did wasnt right but it was hardly the act of a violent thug.

Member 127762

Great player my favourite for years but I would not hire him as he is a bit of a scum bag sorry, but it is true.

lower league management.

LInkash

To people saying Saudi, isn't the whole point of sports washing to improve their image?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Bestie was arrested for drunk driving and spent some time inside for assaulting a policeman while drunk. I dont condone Bests behaviour but his crimes pale into insignificance when compared to the crime of beating and bullying women. Most people who rteally knew Best say he had his demons but only when drunk, and usually he was a "good" drunk, not violent at all, but no doubt he didnt like being man handled by the copper so he hit him. Again, what he did wasnt right but it was hardly the act of a violent thug.
Hmm I think you are missing some of his later behavior there.

TrueRed79

Surprised someone made an effort to ask whats next for a horrible cnut.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Getting the Salford job! :lol:

"Give it to Giggsy until the end of the season" indeed.

Bobski

Wonder if he is ever going to get in to that PL hall of fame now?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Him, Suarez, Barton and Terry are going to be the first inductees into the Premier League Rogues Gallery.

Bobski

Him, Suarez, Barton and Terry are going to be the first inductees into the Premier League Rogues Gallery.
Just think if you hold Giggs out for "Moral reasons", can't be legal given the outcome of his trial, then how do the likes of Tony Adams, who spent 2 months inside for drink driving get in?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Just think if you hold Giggs out for "Moral reasons", can't be legal given the outcome of his trial, then how do the likes of Tony Adams, who spent 2 months inside for drink driving get in?
Tony Adams by all accounts has owned up to his mistakes and now runs a successful rehab centre. The others I listed are still cnuts.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I loved watching him play but his later life, especially after his liver transplant, was a train wreck. Arrested for allegedly indecently assaulting a 13 year old, accused of punching women, and going after anything in a skirt, married or not, were stories that followed him around.
You shouldn't even mention that 13 year old one, it was dropped immediately after and Best strongly maintains it never ever happened, and in view of his character and mistakes, I believe him strongly on that. In this era where an allegation is enough for a lot of people to assume guilt, that shouldn't even be brought up.

freddie the red

Let's be honest, without all the stuff going on around him he would have been nailed on the first inductee for his 13 PL titles alone.
Suffice to say his personal behaviour has rightly made him a persona non grata as far as that HOF stuff is concerned.

Moriarty

You shouldn't even mention that 13 year old one, it was dropped immediately after and Best strongly maintains it never ever happened, and in view of his character and mistakes, I believe him strongly on that. In this era where an allegation is enough for a lot of people to assume guilt, that shouldn't even be brought up.
I was merely pointing out that wherever Best went, there were always people trying to get a piece of him. I met him in a betting shop near Green Park tube in 1981 or so. I walked up to him and smiled and told him I was there on the night he scored the winner against Real and how it was one of the greatest nights of my young life. We chatted for a few minutes about football and United and then he left. He asked if I wanted an autograph but I told him I still had the one he signed for me when I was 11.