Film What old movie or TV series could do with a remake / reboot?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I actually liked the rather maligned remake of Solaris but wonder what someone else could do with the original story.
Stanislow Lem's book or Tarkovsky's adaption ?
From what I recall Tarkovsky focused more on the human relations being effected by Solaris while Lem's book concentrated more on the planet of Solaris's history and its oceanic formations.

Tarkovsky still kept relatively faithful to Lem's book,though,minor a few character situations and traits ,its just he went down a different avenue.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Typical me - my suggestion of new things for the Solaris story is a non-starter due to the fact that it doesn't require new things. :D

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
(Not old, but)

Just on a personal level, I think a streaming series of the Harry Potter books would go over quite well in about a decade or so. As much as I generally like the films, sticking so rigidly to the details in the books gave Chris Columbus' films a bit of a problem because they were so bloody long, and then moving away from the details in the books during later films gave David Yates a bit of a problem because he felt compelled to cut things down when they didn't need to be. Seven seasons of seven episodes each (eight episodes for the Order of the Phoenix, ten episodes for the Deathly Hallows) would be ideal.

And if George R. R. Martin ever gets around to finishing the A Song of Ice and Fire series I'd love for there to be an animated show that follows the path of his books a little more than Game of Thrones ever could - you know, considering the last two books don't exist. That way you'd be able to have things that wouldn't have worked in the HBO show - things like Lady Stonehart, the face-swapping magic with Rattleshirt/Mance Rayder, Tyrion only having half a nose after Blackwater, etc. - and you'd be able to get down to the bare essence of A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons without slogging through the unwieldy extraneous details.

hungrywing

Stanislow Lem's book or Tarkovsky's adaption ?
From what I recall Tarkovsky focused more on the human relations being effected by Solaris while Lem's book concentrated more on the planet of Solaris's history and its oceanic formations.

Tarkovsky still kept relatively faithful to Lem's book,though,minor a few character situations and traits ,its just he went down a different avenue.
As far as the general impasse between the two mediums goes, the movie was an earnest attempt at a 'faithful' adaptation of the spirit of the novel. He was just limited to visual metaphor and timing. The novel also has a lot of overlap with the story of the Garden of Eden and I presume a lot of other man-comes-before-God (limited vs infinite intelligence) explorations of other cultures. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it during his 'struggles' with atheism and disconnect with the anthropocentric image of a God-figure. He has some pretty key passages of neurological/botanical overlays and Lem has those shots in the movie.

Typical me - my suggestion of new things for the Solaris story is a non-starter due to the fact that it doesn't require new things. :D
Nothing new under the sun anyways. I'm pretty sure Michael Crichton's Sphere is a direct riff on Solaris. As is Arrival, in which case the short story author approached it from the very specific angle of his field of expertise which was linguistics heuristics. And that's just two mass-market examples. I'd bet there are like eighty Star Trek abyss-also... episodes that Star Trek fans would smugly - and rightly - point out.

I am bereft of ideas, mate.
I did wonder, though, if another remake might ramp up the spookiness - for instance, I found Natascha McElhone creepy, despite her charms & her status as an innocent victim of circumstance. She unsettled me, even if that wasn't the director's intention.
Mirror-shows-your-worst-nightmare stories are fun. Also, her eyes are kind of weird. Just a tad bit sleepy, you know?

It'd be a great story with something that granted such powerful physical manifestations and a spectrum of characters utilizing it with varying degrees of awareness and intent and maybe a grand old good vs evil showdown at the end. Plenty of room to play around in and you could really let your imagination run wild with the manifestations, subtle and nuanced to outlandish. Maybe one of those your-worst-nightmares-are-actually-the-good-creatures-that-have-to-destroy-the-real-bad-guys'-monsters type ending. Actually no, that's too Hollywood. You could do a lot with that setup. People being forced to go in front of it for some reason, etc.

Hell, write a fictionalized biography of Lem as he subsists on a tattered partial copy of Jules Verne and navigates WWII Europe as a Jew disillusioned with God, chatting with weird imaginary figures in cafes half-bombed to rubble.

SteveJ

Scout
You win, chief. Those are lot better than my idea about casting Dylan Moran.

SteveJ

Scout
Lem, Tarkovsky & co were intellectuals though, mate. In contrast, my highest exam grade was O Level English.

SteveJ

Scout
Wow! Every day is a school day. I thought the original was pretty and never knew it had been remade. Cool, thanks.
I've watched & enjoyed it a few times, mate, but it's an acquired taste.

Last edited:

hungrywing

Lem, Tarkovsky & co were intellectuals though, mate. In contrast, my highest exam grade was O Level English.
Yeah and those two never got an O Level in English. Not going to blow smoke up your ass but if that's a middling grade then you're good at pretending to be above middling or at least when it comes to Gothic-dripping-with-velvet.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've been watching the Phantasm films. They did a reasonable job of keeping things interesting over the decades.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've been watching the Phantasm films. They did a reasonable job of keeping things interesting over the decades.
The first 2 were quite interesting. After that,though, the films were abit creepy in the Reggie is a pervert way.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The first 2 were quite interesting. After that,though, the films were abit creepy in the Reggie is a pervert way.

Yeah Reggie doesn't bode well for single women on the road. I just like the general atmosphere of Phantasm films. Creepy and uncomplicated.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah Reggie doesn't bode well for single women on the road. I just like the general atmosphere of Phantasm films. Creepy and uncomplicated.
Think it was the 3rd film where Reggie,clearly in his 40's,was hitting on a 17 year old black girl. F*cking creepy shit.

Still,the films concept itself is interesting to some degree and could be up for a good remake.
There's enough decent horror writers and Directors out there today who could make a good film out of its potential.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Think it was the 3rd film where Reggie,clearly in his 40's,was hitting on a 17 year old black girl. F*cking creepy shit.

Still,the films concept itself is interesting to some degree and could be up for a good remake.
There's enough decent horror writers and Directors out there today who could make a good film out of its potential.

Reggie was always an old-looking slaphead!

hungrywing

:lol:

Very kind but the truth is that writing quality, high-level sci-fi is beyond my abilities.
Yeah but this isn't high-level sci-fi. This is a fog/mirror/lake/haunted object that somehow manifests extremely creepy things whether one is conscious of it or not. You could set it in a small town in Wales. Look you could be putting all this effort deflecting into working on the first chapter you know!

Anyways. Banter aside, that post with the McElhone mention pinged on my radar loud enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. Solaris reskinned with a serious horror angle. Does something like that take a lot of work to properly set up? Yes. But is it also the kernel of something that could have some heft? Also yes.

SteveJ

Scout
Sadly, I've little faith in my ability these days, mate. Recently, I discovered that I'd ordered (and subsequently read) the same book four times in the past year or so, and had forgotten...everything. And this despite the small message Amazon leaves on previous purchases, to remind you that you'd already ordered the item. This is beyond mere absent-mindedness, and I'm not sure what the cause is. So, in-depth writing and thinking is rather out of the question for me at present.

0le

I'd like to see a War of the Worlds remake as a film and/or TV series, because the recent TV series and the movie were shit. No whiny kids please.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Why would you want to remake that ?
I loved the original and I think it could be redone. It is difficult to argue for the remake of any great film, but it happens and sometimes they do a good job.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Anyone remember Event Horizon starring Sam Neil?
Thought the premise was great but is was rushed out to make up for a delay to their big budget movie at the time. Can't remember which movie that was though.

In before the edit stamp. Titanic was their baby at the time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It’s going to be fantastic. A two part film directed by Dennis Villeneuve. Along with Alex Garland, he has to be the best sci-fi director out there right now. Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 a wonderful sci-fi films for true fans of the genre. Plus his other work, on Prisoners and Sicario, was bloody terrific. Added to that a cast that includes Timothy Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Charlotte Rampling, Stellan Sarskgard, and Dave Bautista, and this film looks like it’ll be fantastic.

Unfortunately it also has Jason Momoa, who might be the most clueless wooden lump ever put in front of a camera; but you can’t win everything.
oh feck, yeah Momoa is awful. His face annoys me every time I see him, which is a lot these days.
He's going to play Duncan Idaho, a man that ladies fawn over, who's a good fighter and doesn't talk too much so this role might actually fit him well.