Film What old movie or TV series could do with a remake / reboot?

hungrywing

Sadly, I've little faith in my ability these days, mate. Recently, I discovered that I'd ordered (and subsequently read) the same book four times in the past year or so, and had forgotten...everything. And this despite the small message Amazon leaves on previous purchases, to remind you that you'd already ordered the item. This is beyond mere absent-mindedness, and I'm not sure what the cause is. So, in-depth writing and thinking is rather out of the question for me at present.
I'm assuming you've been to the doctor(s). Take care of yourself. Get plenty of sleep. Rootin' for ya.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yes I have, mate, but haven't mentioned it because I've enough symptoms to mention as it is.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone remember Event Horizon starring Sam Neil?
Thought the premise was great but is was rushed out to make up for a delay to their big budget movie at the time. Can't remember which movie that was though.

In before the edit stamp. Titanic was their baby at the time.
This was also my shout earlier in the thread, I think it would be great. Great minds and all that :D

Oldyella

V - Cheesy enough that a serious redo would bang. Imagine giving lizard people the bsg treatment.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Big Trouble in Little China
Nooooo, it's perfect!

Why would you want to remake that ?
Exactly, it's perfect!

I loved the original and I think it could be redone. It is difficult to argue for the remake of any great film, but it happens and sometimes they do a good job.
Yes but no, it's perfect!

feck off..it's perfect.
It is!

They are making a sequel already with Dwayne Johnson.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
He's going to play Duncan Idaho, a man that ladies fawn over, who's a good fighter and doesn't talk too much so this role might actually fit him well.
Idaho is slender and graceful though....

Ramos

Sci-fi movies that had great concepts but failed. With the effects that we have now they can let their imagination run wild.

So i'm thinking: Waterworld. So much went wrong there and could be done better. Also ties in perfectly with the whole climate change thing, could work.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sci-fi movies that had great concepts but failed. With the effects that we have now they can let their imagination run wild.

So i'm thinking: Waterworld. So much went wrong there and could be done better. Also ties in perfectly with the whole climate change thing, could work.
Why did he drink his own piss? I never understood that part. He pissed in a jar and then sticks it through a water filtration system before drinking it so why did he not just use sea water?

That's really bugged me for years.

vidic blood & sand

I'd like to see mission impossible revert back to the old format with Jim Phelps leading the team properly again. Ethan hunt is annoying.

Reiver

I'd like to see a remake of Highlander. Love the central premise. But this time they could fix the accents.

Devil77

(Not old, but)

Just on a personal level, I think a streaming series of the Harry Potter books would go over quite well in about a decade or so. As much as I generally like the films, sticking so rigidly to the details in the books gave Chris Columbus' films a bit of a problem because they were so bloody long, and then moving away from the details in the books during later films gave David Yates a bit of a problem because he felt compelled to cut things down when they didn't need to be. Seven seasons of seven episodes each (eight episodes for the Order of the Phoenix, ten episodes for the Deathly Hallows) would be ideal.
Good shout!

Eric's Seagull

They are making a sequel already with Dwayne Johnson.
Hoped you were joking when you mentioned Dwayne Johnson and Big Trouble in Little China. But then I realised you were serious :eek: It was one of my favourite films when I was growing up and the only thing they could improve on in my opinion was Special Effects. I've heard it's not a remake but a continuation. I've just found out there are 3 books so expect to see Dwayne Johnson as Jack Burton again unless it flops badly.

Reiver

Would love to see Highlander for the special effects but who would you cast?
Good question. I'm not insisting the actor playing McLeod actually be Scottish but at least have a passable accent.
Updated special effects are one of the main reasons I'd like to see a remake. Better sequels too hopefully.

Reiver

Give it a few years it could be shot as a documentary.

Eric's Seagull

Good question. I'm not insisting the actor playing McLeod actually be Scottish but at least have a passable accent.
Updated special effects are one of the main reasons I'd like to see a remake. Better sequels too hopefully.
I agree he should have had a better Scottish accent but there could be a point made that his accent isn't going to sound fully Scottish as he says he is "from lots of different places" I totally agree about the special effects and think they would be spectacular.

After how much I enjoyed the original I was disappointed by the sequels. I think it would be hard to find anybody to play The Kurgen as good as Clancy Brown, so if it did happen I think they might have to take the character out.

Art Vandelay

I'd like to see a remake of Highlander. Love the central premise. But this time they could fix the accents.
But the accents are part of the charm. Plus you couldn't change the soundtrack. There really wasn't that much in the way of special effects to be had in it anyway. My only complaint with the film was The Kurgen's sword being hilariously bad. It's too gimmicky.

Hoped you were joking when you mentioned Dwayne Johnson and Big Trouble in Little China. But then I realised you were serious :eek: It was one of my favourite films when I was growing up and the only thing they could improve on in my opinion was Special Effects. I've heard it's not a remake but a continuation. I've just found out there are 3 books so expect to see Dwayne Johnson as Jack Burton again unless it flops badly.
Yeah apparently he pitched the idea himself and I think I heard he is producing it. I do not like this, the original is perfect, it does not need a remake or sequel and no one but Kurt Russell can play Jack Burton. Part of what made Burton work was that he was a bumbling idiot that kept lucking his way out of things while firing off one liners that didn't make any sense. The Rock throwing people around and raising his eyebrow is not the same thing.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
There can only be one jack burton dude!

Eric's Seagull

Yeah apparently he pitched the idea himself and I think I heard he is producing it. I do not like this, the original is perfect, it does not need a remake or sequel and no one but Kurt Russell can play Jack Burton. Part of what made Burton work was that he was a bumbling idiot that kept lucking his way out of things while firing off one liners that didn't make any sense. The Rock throwing people around and raising his eyebrow is not the same thing.
I hope to feck he doesn't spoil it. Your totally right Kurt Russel is Jack Burton. Some things like this
I couldn't see the Rock pulling off and think they would seem terrible. I think the character only worked because of Kurt Russell and he seems to be the only one who fits the role.

Ramos

Speaking of Kurt Russel, there were plans to remake Escape From NY.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Maybe it could work as Jackman has got the presence and toughness but Popeye Doyle is one of my favourite Gene Hackman roles and I'm a big Gene Hackman fan.
I too love Gene Hackman. I think Jackman's got lot of presence as seen in Logan. Loved him in that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Agree totally. I once read about the training he did to put himself into Wolverine mode and it was extreme but really made admire his dedication.
I also liked him in prisoners. Seems like decent bloke too.