g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What players would Mourinho target?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Stones and Griezmann would be his first signings. He'd probably have a good look at Mane too.

Mata and Fellaini would be out the door. Herrera would probably get a shot in the no.10 role. Januzaj might come back into the mix.
Could see Herrera being his Oscar.

hobbers

Could see Herrera being his Oscar.
Yeah and I think he could be a revelation there if given a run of games. He's never had the chance there under LVG because he's always favoured Rooney, Fellaini and, if neither of those two, Mata.

The off the ball work of a midfield of Schneiderlin, Schwein and Herrera would be phenomenal, while Herrera is more direct and much less risk averse in possession than Mata.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Under Mourinho.. without any club politics involved I think we'd see the following. ..

Mata, Carrick, Januzaj, Fellaini, and Rooney sold.

Bring in a new right back if Darmian can't cut it.

Bring in English talent like Barkley and Stones. His new Terry and Lampard.. I think he genuinely admires English players but sadly hasn't been able to sign the big names I.e. Rooney and Gerrard.

I think he'd definitely beef up the midfield and bring in another CM and a DM. Ruben Nevez, or someone of that ilk who can control the midfield I'm not sure who is a good shout to compete with Schneiderlin but one is definitely needed.

Alternate Barkley and Herrera as 10s and use Herrera as a CM too.

He could bring in Bale/Greizmann and a backup striker to compete with Martial. Lucas Moura as well to add some depth and competition out wide.

JANUARY 2016:

DDG
Valencia Smalling Stones Blind
Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger
Herrera
Lucas Martial Depay​

SUMMER 2016

DDG
Carvajal Smalling Stones Shaw
Schneiderlin
Herrera Barkley
Bale Martial Depay​

peridigm

I think we'll need Jose to lure some of the names touted in this thread given the brand of football we've been playing under LVG. With Moyes, we got Fellaini on the 11th hour and Mata in January after Jose most likely said you're going to United if you want to play again this season. Our style is now known and unless LVG changes it we won't be a destination players are jizzing to get to. Whatever happens, we need to replace Rooney, Carrick, and Jones at minimum.

RedRover

Exactly! If a player like say Barkley emerged at Chelsea when they had Lampard and Essien at their peak (which is when Mourinho managed them the first time around), how many chances would he get despite his talent? Or Stones who would be up against Terry and Carvalho. Even Gallas had trouble making appearances in their presence and had to play fullback as a consequence, and he was a full French international who already had almost 100 appearances for Chelsea. All these details get lost in the narrative. Apart from the facilities, and the coaches, a big reason why Southampton and Everton produce all these players quite regularly is that they can give a lot of opportunities to the likes of Barkley, Chambers, Stones, Ward-Prowse because there aren't a lot of very good players blocking their way, plus the pressure of expectations is relatively lower (Top 6 at best), as opposed to United or Madrid or Chelsea who are normally among the title challengers.
United's reputation seems to be based on the class of 92. Before that Fergie invested heavily and since then we've produced a few half decent squad players and nothing more.

The suggestion that we have some kind of conveyer belt of quality players that Mourinho would ignore and ruin just isn't based in fact.

Frankly, any manager would rather promote youth players with an understanding of and love for the club rather than buy - they'd be mad not to, providing said players are good enough.

If you think about it few top sides regularly bring in young players who make the grade. Bayern and Barca are held out as obvious examples yet they both spend big transfer fees for established quality.

The homegrown players they have are also no longer young players. They have more quality youth than a lot of English clubs but in recent years few currently make the grade and take the place of established stars. In fact Barca tend to move them on - even if they can be bought back.

Last edited:

prarek

Di Maria was sold at his peak price for a large benefit and Bale was the best prospect to eventually replace Ronaldo and more marketable, even if it didn't work that well Bale could still be sold with benefit to an EPL club whenever they want in the next 2 or 3 years to finance the next big thing.

De Gea was a great oportunity to get a dominant Spanish madridista keeper after Casillas, what's not to like?

Arbeloa needs replacement and Danilo is of adequate quality and has the price that comes with it. Relatively good business considering the very small pool of top fullbacks.
Di Maria was one of their best players in the last season you don't cash in on your best players just for financial benefit especially when you are a big club. Navas has been exceptional and currently one of the best in the league, no need for DDG. Danilo was way overpriced for his final year. If they really sold Di Maria just for a financial benefit then it makes no sense why they overpay for a position for which they already had Carvajal. Those are contradicting moves from a financial perspective.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

Bring in a new right back if Darmian can't cut it.
I actually think darmian would be a good fit for mourinho, he likes right and left backs that can defend and doesn't let them overlap or join the attack, and darmian positionally over his career has looked good, can defend. Still adapting to prem life but I think he would suit an ultra defensive man united side that mourinho would likely build

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I actually think darmian would be a good fit for mourinho, he likes right and left backs that can defend and doesn't let them overlap or join the attack, and darmian positionally over his career has looked good, can defend. Still adapting to prem life but I think he would suit an ultra defensive man united side that mourinho would likely build
I agree but he needs to demonstrate he is physically and mentally capable of handling this league. Right now he is like a burnt out Ivanovic and I can't see Jose tolerating his performances. He is fighting for his future here.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Managers tend to go back to their previous club for one or two trusted players. In Mourinho's case he seems to have alienated most of them, however the one Chelsea player that I think he might move heaven and earth to try and sign is Willian. He seemed to be one player he trusted over all others and the only one that seemed to still give 100% when things started going horribly wrong.

ottosec

I think he wanted Stones and Griezmann in the summer, probably he still does.

Hitchcocker

Oh aye, Everton are going to give us half their team. Why would they? They are on the up.
Key word: Which players would Mourinho target. And Mourinho wanted Stones in the past. As good as Everton are, I can't see players turning down the chance to sign for us if we push hard enough.

Needham

Google "Players who track back".
Vardy runs all day. He might like him.

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho loves Rooney. He's exactly the kind of forward he likes. Everybody was predicting that LvG would get rid as well.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Mourinho loves Rooney. He's exactly the kind of forward he likes. Everybody was predicting that LvG would get rid as well.
People forget that people thought Moyes would get rid of Rooney since they fell out when Rooney was at Everton.

Dante

Average bang
Half the reason people want a new manager is so they can see their own FM fantasies come true.

Fer

I think we will sign 3 players in the summer. I can see Mourinho looking for these kind of players:

Stones (He likes tough defenders)
Neves (Talented midfielder with good technique)
Sanches (Hardworking midfielder)
Barkley (Lampard/Gerrard type of player)
Sane (Fast and hardworking)
Griezmann (The top signing he wanted st Chelsea)
Ibrahimovic (Target man with experience)

Last edited:

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I think we will sign 3 players in the summer. I can see Mourinho looking for these kind of players:

Stones (He likes tough defenders)
Neves (Talented midfielder with good technique)
Sanches (Hardworking midfielder)
Barkley (Lampard/Gerrard type of player)
Sane (Fast and hardworking)
Griezmann (The top signing he wanted st Chelsea)
Ibrahimovic (Target man with experience)
All those look like van gaal signings :rolleyes:

Stones is the least toughest defender & considering he would probably replace Jones or Rojo - He only seems weaker

Ibra & Barkley fair enough..

Thisistheone

Jose would love to bring in Pogba over any midfielder I'd imagine. If it's possible, who knows.

RustyS

Every poster is throwing names that they like and think Mourinho will get. Maybe he will want players he has worked with before in the dressing room. Terry on a free?

WhoDaGOAT

Either a striker for Rooney to play behind or a No.9 to become our playmaker. He had Sneijder at Inter, Özil at Madrid and Fabregas at Chelsea.

I like Herrera but don't think he'll become a permanent fixture in the side.

He'll look to add pace to the squad. At least one winger and athletic midfielder can be expected. I think Schneiderlin would excel under him but wouldn't be surprised if he targeted someone like Krychowiak of Sevilla. Pace and power are a must.

R'hllor

Every poster is throwing names that they like and think Mourinho will get. Maybe he will want players he has worked with before in the dressing room. Terry on a free?
Would love it,just to see reaction of sellout now brigade and them starting to change their view about Terry,throwing facts how he has more positive then negative things etc.

Oo0AahCantona

feck me talk about a crystal ball thread, Jose not even confirmed yet.

Shall we make up one for the return of moyes and who he would target also, while were at it.

Gonna put my neck on the line, 95% of predictions will be wrong on here
Go for it if you want, might not see much traffic though mate.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Believe it or not Mourinho has yet to share his personal file with me. Hence I have no clue of what players he's going to target. However I won't be surprised if he goes for a solid backbone (Griezmann, Laporte, Stones and Mahrez) + the occasional young talent. He will want to win quickly and closing our gaps with estabilished but hungry players will do that.

Fer

Stones and Griezmann because he was linked before with them. I think Griezmann will stay at Atletico and Mourinho would sign Barkley instead. Also I can see a new talented midfielder like Sanches or Neves coming to United... Ibrahimovic for free would be also a good choice, but I think he will go to other team and Mourinho will trust in Rooney and Martial. For the right wing, I don't have any idea who would he like to sign, maybe a direct and fast player, Mane? Sane?

But I think the players I want (Laporte, Gundogan, Mahrez and Griezmann) will not join us for the next season.

BTW, which formation do you think we will play under Mourinho?