What players would Mourinho target?

dogwithabone

I have a feeling Mata could flourish again under Mourinho. It could be one of those oddities where he sells him as Chelsea manager but plays him as a United boss. I think Mourinho would be wise enough to accept that he will have to adapt to United as much as United have to adapt to him whereas with LVG it's all about him, his philosophy and f*** the traditions.

Could definitely see Stones, Lukaku and Willian on the radar though. Perhaps Ivanovic too as a short term fix if no one starts performing consistently for us at right back.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Chelsea's signings last season were very good and just what they needed to take them to the next level.

As for this season,he didnt really get any of the players he wanted and was stuck with bizarre signings like Papy Djibolodji , or unwanted ones like Baba Rehman (Who has been poor when played , and imo left Augsburg two seasons too early)

Bojan11

I have a feeling Mata could flourish again under Mourinho. It could be one of those oddities where he sells him as Chelsea manager but plays him as a United boss. I think Mourinho would be wise enough to accept that he will have to adapt to United as much as United have to adapt to him whereas with LVG it's all about him, his philosophy and f*** the traditions.

Could definitely see Stones, Lukaku and Willian on the radar though. Perhaps Ivanovic too as a short term fix if no one starts performing consistently for us at right back.
He fell out with Ivanovic.

And I'd rather have Valencia than Ivanovic.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
So are we all basically listing some names off the caf's dream muppet list without any indication that he'd go for them? Just for the sake of assembling and posting some imaginary dream team that (always includes Griezmann and Gundogan for some reason) would win the quadruple? Cause that would be new.

Edit: Yeah, I woke up in a shitty mood today.

C'est Moi Cantona

First things first I reckon he'd like to swap Mata for Willian, win win for both clubs, they get their darling twice player of the year back which would make alot of their fans very happy, and we finally get a RW, we could always through Rooney in for them too.

Then also Ibra for January too, could be a disaster could be fantastic.

Bojan11

First things first I reckon he'd like to swap Mata for Willian, win win for both clubs, they get their darling twice player of the year back which would make alot of their fans very happy, and we finally get a RW, we could always through Rooney in for them too.

Ibra wouldn't be a disaster. We put crosses in the box to midgets and Fellaini who can't win a header.

If a striker like Giroud is a handful in the premier league then Ibrahimovic will be more dangerous. His hold up play is brilliant and we need a cocky prick to keep Depay in check.

Flying_Heckfish

GK - well stocked
FB - depends on how he rates Young and Valencia as fullbacks. He wouldn't give CBJ or Varela any time.
CB - Stones he would look at I reckon. Varane would be great but there's no chance if Zidane really is going to be first team coach soonish.
CM - We are stocked here but with Carrick's age and questions about Herrera in a Mourinho system he may look to get someone in.. it'll be interesting to see what he would do with BFS.
AM/10 - Again stocked here but think about Lampard as the archetypal Mourinho AM .. someone who is powerful and scores lots of goals. Maybe he would try and convert Rooney into this type of player. I don't know about Herrera and Mata doesn't fit the bill either.
W - Right wing would be a priority, unless he tries to use Valencia or Young there as a workhorse type. Little Griezmann or a return for Ronnie could be where he looks initially. Left wing is not as bad but I wouldn't be surprised if he would look again for more experienced back up and shunned the likes of Lingard.
ST - We need two really, but he likes Rooney so he will stay. A powerful player like Lukaku would be the obvious choice, if those bridges weren't already burned.

He would basically be allowed to sign anyone who would want to come here, without the 'imposed' transfers he had at Chelsea or Real. It would be a muppet's fantasy.

NK86

Zlatan.
Griezmann.
Stones.
Maybe Pogba.
Some Mendes client.
I think we will also start selling players for more money than we have recently. His record is pretty good at that.

Cina

I think we will also start selling players for more money than we have recently. His record is pretty good at that.
Transfer fees have nothing to do with managers.

NK86

But I am sure he can block a sale if he feels the fee is not what is expected. Was that not the case always?

Scarecrow

Having a week off

That's ridiculous. Since when are Chelsea any fans so sentimental? And he said he liked Chelsea but loved United, literally just a week ago. That's not realistic even in FIFA.

Edit: I don't know why I keep coming to this thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is taking muppetism to the next level.
:lol: Really is. The Stones thread got bumped to speculate whether we will get a player in the future if our current manager leaves us and another manager joins is in the future.

C'est Moi Cantona

That's ridiculous. Since when are Chelsea any fans so sentimental? And he said he liked Chelsea but loved United, literally just a week ago. That's not realistic even in FIFA.

Edit: I don't know why I keep coming to this thread.
Have you ever heard the term 'tounge in cheek'?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
:lol: Really is. The Stones thread got bumped to speculate whether we will get a player in the future if our current manager leaves us and another manager joins is in the future.
My apologies I think I'm getting a bit carried away with it all :lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

Agh, I'm sorry. I don't know what to take seriously around here anymore. And I'm really sick right now, in my defense. Going back to sleep.
Fair enough, tbf understanding what other people are getting at can very difficult on these forums!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Interesting angle, not sure how that would work, but maybe he'll adopt the ideology of selling players a year too early rather than a year too late which can lead to improved returns. Or maybe he'll jettison the underperformers before they hit rock bottom in terms of performance and value. There's something there for sure, and maybe José can help rectify that issue.

A couple of others things that really excite me are - wrt the players we already have in addition to the potential signings is that by and large, Mourinho has a really good fitness record at almost every club that he's managed. Provided our malaise doesn't infect his reign, we could be looking at consistent starting XIs for the first time in years.

And since the devil is in the details, I just can't wait to see the back of certain minor eccentricities that Louis adheres to. Like the whole fascination with left footed centerbacks (wut is it even about?), a pet peeve of several Bayern and Barcelona supporters as well. Might seem trivial at face value, but it really constricts our options unless his hand is forced.
True. But maybe Mourinho can help ship out players when they hit peak value (at United), instead of letting it decline and then proceeding to sell them for a pittance, which is what we have done several times in the recent past. Like, if we had sold Fellaini or Young in the summer after decent seasons by both, maybe we could've recouped something approaching £20-25 million. But the longer we wait from now, the figure will only diminish further. Dunno, maybe I'm just guessing.

NK86

Interesting angle, not sure how that would work, but maybe he'll adopt the ideology of selling players a year too early rather than a year too late which can lead to improved returns. Or maybe he'll jettison the underperformers before they hit rock bottom in terms of performance and value. There's something there for sure, and maybe José can help rectify that issue.

A couple of others things that really excite me are - wrt the players we already have in addition to the potential signings is that by and large, Mourinho has a really good fitness record at almost every club that he's managed. Provided our malaise doesn't infect his reign, we could be looking at consistent starting XIs for the first time in years.

And since the devil is in the details, I just can't wait to see the back of certain minor eccentricities that Louis adheres to. Like the whole fascination with left footed centerbacks (wut is it even about?), a pet peeve of several Bayern and Barcelona supporters as well. Might seem trivial at face value, but it really constricts our options unless his hand is forced.

True. But maybe Mourinho can help ship out players when they hit peak value (at United), instead of letting it decline and then proceeding to sell them for a pittance, which is what we have done several times in the recent past. Like, if we had sold Fellaini or Young in the summer after decent seasons by both, maybe we could've recouped something approaching £20-25 million. But the longer we wait from now, the figure will only diminish further. Dunno, maybe I'm just guessing.
I am not sure whether managers have a say in how much they would sell a player. We sell players on the cheap all the time but maybe Mourinho will be smart to know when he needs to move someone on. Like when we got fleeced for Mata. I am sure we would never get that value for a player as unwanted as he was at that time. So maybe managers have a say in terms of how much they are willing to let a player go for. I don't think the CEO will be able to make a complete evaluation of a player's worth without inputs from a footballing person.

izec

I would guess these players could interest him:

Stones
Griezmann
William Carvalho
Bedrnardo Silva
Pogba
Koke
Kane
Mane

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
In the potential outcome that Jose is hired to take over from LVG, who does the caf believe he would target in both the January and summer windows?

I think he would 100% get a stop gap central defender in January and potentially another right wing option should someone somewhat decent be available somebody like a Yarmolenko to add some power and pace to our flank.

We know he was keen on stones and Pogba at chelsea, it would be interesting to see how our potential targets change from the past summer.
LvG is still in charge.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Like his Chelsea's team, he will need another central defender at least and a new winger.
I guess that he knows that we need a new forward and Ibra is free this summer. I hate that idea because he's 34, but he's miles better than Rooney and co.
Herrera would play in the Fabregas role, and a new number 10 will come.

-----------------------------Lloris/Navas------------------------------
Darmian-------------Smalling---------Stones-------------------Shaw
-----------------------------Schneiderlin-------------------------------
-----------------------Herrera----------New one---------------------
New one------------------------Ibra---------------------------Martial

starman

I think he will get rid of Blind, or only use as left back. He like his commanding centreback.
Herrara as a no 10
Depay i reckon will piss him off, Mata will be gone.
Griezmann be will his priority.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Mourinho accepts only the best, the difference between here and Chelsea being that here he will be given the best.

Bale
Lewandowski
Griezmann
Stones
Reus
Varane
Pogba
Koke

all players he's targeted in the past who are still at the height of their powers.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Mourinho accepts only the best, the difference between here and Chelsea being that here he will be given the best.

Bale
Lewandowski
Griezmann
Stones
Reus
Varane
Pogba
Koke

all players he's targeted in the past who are still at the height of their powers.
He ain't going nowhere. Doesn't matter how much money you throw.

prarek

'Would you want Mourinho as our manager?'
'Would you support Mourinho if he was our manager?'
'What players would Mourinho target?'
'Would you buy a Terry shirt if we hired Mourinho and he tried to sign Terry but Terry refused only to sign after two seasons and left the club after Giggs bummed his wife and the two refused a handshake down the tunnel?'

Red_toad

His first targets would be our slow ass wingers out of the club. Mata will be a gonna.
He'd be interested in rapid wingers, a partner for Morgan, Smalling & Martial.
I do wonder if he'd be the man to solve the Rooney issues.

So Mane, Stones & ?????

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

feck off. Mata doesn't have a patch on Willian.