• Liverpool win

Votes: 120 36.1%
  • City win

Votes: 157 47.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 55 16.6%

• Total voters

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I have less hatred for City, I'm not fully sure why. I can appreciate what they're doing right now regardless of the money spent (it's the game now and has been for a while).

Despite all the plaudits, potential records and style of play, their treble (if they even do it) would not be as good as ours and they won't do it again next season. So, I can more than live with it.

Liverpool having any success makes my blood boil and the thought of them winning the Champions League at this point is something I view as unbearable. I've grown up as a United fan with the idea that Liverpool are and always will be the main enemy regardless of current position, recent history or form. They're actually pretty close to us right now in the grand scheme of things as well. This just feels like 'how it should be' to me and I can't agree with fans who put the Man City rivalry first. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter though, of course!
I do understand. It is a rock and a hard place situation. I really do not like either team, Liverpool probably more, but City probably because of fear about what they could become. I do not want us to fade away for years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
City can buy their way into a lot of things but they can't buy their way into being a bigger rival that Liverpool.

I'll always hate the scousers more than City.

Besides, I can comfort myself over anything City win because it's hollow after they've basically played real life FM with free money cheat codes. Liverpool winning anything would be infinitely worse, but them winning another CL would be unbearable.

Also, there's no better response to a gloating City fan than "better you than Liverpool".

This really isn't a difficult decision.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This thread may as well ask "Do you want a City lover or Scouse lover tag?"

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not in the slightest.

I'm also VERY confident that either Bayern, Real or Barcelona would take care of City.
I'm way more confident that any of them would take care of Liverpool though.

Havak

Pokemon master
I do understand. It is a rock and a hard place situation. I really do not like either team, Liverpool probably more, but City probably because of fear about what they could become. I do not want us to fade away for years.
Edited my post to say draw now that there is a poll, due to wanting more of a chance at the weekend.

My argument for any team fading away is every team will have good and bad moments over a few years. Sure, City look like the team to beat and finished article but until they do it consistently, I hold out hope that a team (preferably us) can step in and win something or stop City.

Only ourselves and Chelsea have ever retained the title in the Premier League era, over the course of over 20 years. City have looked like the favourite team many a time already, but always faltered when it came to doing it all over again.

No evidence they can do it again next season yet, thus we can take it on the chin for now.

DomesticTadpole

City can buy their way into a lot of things but they can't buy their way into being a bigger rival that Liverpool.

I'll always hate the scousers more than City.

Besides, I can comfort myself over anything City win because it's hollow after they've basically played real life FM with free money cheat codes. Liverpool winning anything would be infinitely worse, but them winning another CL would be unbearable.

Also, there's no better response to a gloating City fan than "better you than Liverpool".

This really isn't a difficult decision.
So they would have bought it. It still means they will win things that we aren't. Doubt the media and City fans care about that. I want us to win not them.

DomesticTadpole

Edited my post to say draw now that there is a poll, due to wanting more of a chance at the weekend.

My argument for any team fading away is every team will have good and bad moments over a few years. Sure, City look like the team to beat and finished article but until they do it consistently, I hold out hope that a team (preferably us) can step in and win something or stop City.

Only ourselves and Chelsea have ever retained the title in the Premier League era, over the course of over 20 years. City have looked like the favourite team many a time already, but always faltered when it came to doing it all over again.

No evidence they can do it again next season yet, thus we can take it on the chin for now.
That is the only hope I have, that City have not retained a title. If they don't it might affect Pep's mentality. If they do retain the title, then I will be worried.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So they would have bought it. It still means they will win things that we aren't. Doubt the media and City fans care about that. I want us to win not them.
We aren't a part of this equation. What you've said here has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed in the OP.

Judas

Open to offers
The difference is they have Pep now who will motivate them to win the league next season, he's a different kind of deranged determined beast, unlike any manger they've had before.

I suppose Keegan was a bit of a deranged beast.

Nikhil

Draw today.

Then they both have all to play for and would maybe play weakened teams at the weekend. This might cause pool to drop points and maybe give us a better chance against city too and could turn out beneficial for us.

Pool aren’t going to win vs city away anyway.
Instead of a draw, how about a 0-1 or 1-2 City win? That would still mean City will be jumpy during the second leg inspite of 1 or 2 away goals. We could very well get a result against them. I just want the winner of the City/Liverpool game to get Real in the semis.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Exactly! I'd rather not take my chances.. The Champions League is almost like a mythical beast - you can't bank on anything!

For sure they could, but City winning the CL wouldn't bother me 1% as much as Liverpool winning it would. City are just a plastic team, I don't care!
That's ultimately my thinking. The fans - all 40,000 of them - are very real though. And they're bursting with a sickening kind of joy at the moment.

Havak

Pokemon master
That is the only hope I have, that City have not retained a title. If they don't it might affect Pep's mentality. If they do retain the title, then I will be worried.
Yeah, that's the point when I start getting more worried / annoyed. While this is a point I'd find people struggling more to understand, I think I actually dislike most of the the other top six sides as much as or perhaps even slightly more than City... Maybe I'm living in the past too much, but given how recent and new this City machine is, I can just put up with it for the time being.

I'm sure as soon as they finally retain, win more cups, consitently get to the latter stages of the Champions League I will develop a hatred for them on a higher level as well :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm not going to the cheering anyone on, BUT if i had to pick one i would go with...Liverpool *shudders*

My "logic" is that, if City win this tie then i can easily see them going on to win the whole thing. But i can't see Liverpool getting past some of the european giants. Not sure why, but i can't see it. So Liverpool to progress, then get smashed and humiliated in the next round.

As i said in a anther thread. It's a really horrible draw...

Red Star One

Little doubt that rivalry with Liverpool is much more important and fierce, but for quite a few reasons I hope it’s City who end up being out. Most of them were posted here already:
1. If City lose today, better chance of them resting some key players before the United game on weekend
2. They’re much more likely to progress even further than Liverpool - might sound subjective and I think both of them would get battered by Real/Barca/Bayern, but with City I fear there’s a slight chance they could make it happen
3. Can’t stand Pep at all, Klopp is just a maniac and I don’t feel like he poses any threat to us, tbh

So, Liverpool to progress to SFs after two exhausting games and then get destroyed by any semifinalsts seems like the best outcome for me. I’d like Roma to win against Barca too, but then one of City/Pool is certain to draw them, so I guess I don’t care, Barca is winning that one anyway.

Zoo

Ill take a 0-0 with City to complete the job hopefully at the Etihad.

In the meantime it will make City very nervous for the second leg, they'll feel the pressure like United did with that scoreline going into the second leg against Sevilla.

Denis' cuff

Liverpool to win today, so City are much more focused on the return game then on the game against us. City to go through.

This and also that Ciddy are more likely to get past Real/Barça/München than Liverpool are. No certainties but has to be said that the rats are a more limited side than Peps all-stars.

A 0-0 would be ok but don’t see it happening

Gopher Brown

End to end for the full 90, massive effort exerted by City’s players, their defence to concede 4 or 5 to knock confidence a bit, lots of silly errors.

DomesticTadpole

We aren't a part of this equation. What you've said here has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed in the OP.
It does in a way as I hate one more than the other, but I hate both, do not want either to win. Probably do not want City to have the chance of winning it as I think they could. Liverpool will cock it up somehow.

Minimalist

Given it's a knock-out competition, I'd rather City won.

Liverpool are and always will be insufferable. Jordan Fecking Henderson for christ sake.

City on the other hand are about to break PL records and probably deserve to be in the final of the competition for that alone.

Not that I want either to win it, ultimately.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It does in a way as I hate one more than the other, but I hate both, do not want either to win. Probably do not want City to have the chance of winning it as I think they could. Liverpool will cock it up somehow.
We all hate both, obviously, but you said you want us to win stuff rather than them which isn't an option.

When it comes to those two shithouses Liverpool will always be more hated.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We all hate both, obviously, but you said you want us to win stuff rather than them which isn't an option.

Depends where you come from.

City bring in bed with some despicable owners and being the plastic club they are more than swings it for me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I wonder if that's true for people of a certain age, though? I hate Liverpool having endured a longish period when they were succesful and we weren't. There's a whole new generation of fans for whom that describes our relationship with City, while Liverpool have been consistently in our shadow. You can see why they might hate City more than the scousers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
City with a controversial penalty or a big offside goal.

Jacko21

Think City are better equipped to win the tournament so probably Liverpool. Hope they’re both kicked out for being horrible bastards
This is my thinking. Though Liverpool being within touching distance of a European final will be nauseating. They're insufferable at the best of times let alone when they start getting ideas about being one of the big boys.

EDIT: I've changed my mind, get Liverpool out at the first available opportunity!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I chose draw, will make the second leg more entertaining.

3-3

Few red cards and 5-10 players injured putting them out for 3-4 weeks (so that they are back for the WC)
Don't wish injury to players, not even City or Liverpool ones.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Depends where you come from.

City bring in bed with some despicable owners and being the plastic club they are more than swings it for me.
I'm from Manchester and have to put up with more City fans than Scousers. It's still Liverpool.

I wonder if that's true for people of a certain age, though? I hate Liverpool having endured a longish period when they were succesful and we weren't. There's a whole new generation of fans for whom that describes our relationship with City, while Liverpool have been consistently in our shadow. You can see why they might hate City more than the scousers.
I'm just about too young to really remember Liverpool's domination, thankfully, but they're still the bigger rival. There's also the Manchester/Liverpool thing beyond football.

At Arsenal's and Chelsea's respective heights I didn't hate either of them as much as Liverpool, so City's moment in the sun doesn't elevate them beyond Liverpool.

Hell Leeds are above City in the most hated rankings imo.

Inigo Montoya

I'm from Manchester and have to put up with more City fans than Scousers. It's still Liverpool.

I'm just about too young to really remember Liverpool's domination, thankfully, but they're still the bigger rival. There's also the Manchester/Liverpool thing beyond football.

At Arsenal's and Chelsea's respective heights I didn't hate either of them as much as Liverpool, so City's moment in the sun doesn't elevate them beyond Liverpool.

Leeds will always be more hated!

God I miss the Leeds v Utd derby games

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Actually, yeah, I guess that will always swing it for local fans. OOT fans will probably be a lot more flexible in their hatred. That's why there's a big cohort of people on here who had Arsenal down as our most hated rivals for ages.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Leeds will always be more hated!

God I miss the Leeds v Utd derby games
Big time! I was at that bloody FA Cup game whenever it was, like 5 years ago maybe a bit more when they won 1-0 at OT, result obviously hurt like hell but feck me what an atmosphere.

Actually, yeah, I guess that will always swing it for local fans. OOT fans will probably be a lot more flexible in their hatred.
Yea absolutely, no question there.

DomesticTadpole

This is my thinking. Though Liverpool being within touching distance of a European final will be nauseating. They're insufferable at the best of times let alone when they start getting ideas about being one of the big boys.

EDIT: I've changed my mind, get Liverpool out at the first available opportunity!
I agree about Liverpool fans, but City fans on the radio are getting that way, although I like ones who are on here. I like the Liverpool fans on here as well. I suppose they have had to deal with us for years and years.

Inigo Montoya

I agree about Liverpool fans, but City fans on the radio are getting that way, although I like ones who are on here. I like the Liverpool fans on here as well. I suppose they have had to deal with us for years and years.
You can not argue that Liverpool and Utd have had similar histories and still remain the 2 greatest clubs in English football.

Whenever I’ve sat down with Liverpool fans we have always agreed on a lot of subjects. I can’t say the same for City fans. They’ve always used the Rags and Munichs labels a little too liberally fur my liking.

Oh and they’re a plastic club.. let’s not forget that