What should be done with City's titles?

What should be done with City's titles?

• Total voters

SirAF

Ageist
If it’s up to me I’d love for Ferguson and Mourinho to have another PL title. However, if I’m looking at it objectively it’s all a bit silly to strip titles that were won years ago. They already lifted the trophies and celebrates - they won those years regardless of any *

Red_Aaron

Remove the club name from the record but I wouldn't award it to the 2nd place team. I have no issue with the players keeping their titles/medals as they performed on the pitch and its not their job to ensure the club abides by the rules. Kind of like the Olympic athletes that don't represent a country

lysglimt

Scout
I have a feeling that if I was Luke Shaw, Steven Gerrard, Marcus Rashford etc - I would feel a lot more hatred looking at a Premier League winners medal - knowing that I never got to feel any joy winning it, than I would if City just kept the title.

Its a medal I would never be able to look at without feeling angry - so I actually think it would be better not to hand give the title to the 2nd place teams.

kopviolator

but if they hadn’t of cheated, would they have won the league? Would they be where they are? Probably not, so actually it is unfair on the second placed time who got that taken away from them by cheats.

The fact that united would of won it three times if it wasn’t for these feckers is infuriating
That's the with cheating. It destroys the game. City's involvement in these league competitions. If all their results were nullified, would the league positions of other clubs remain the same?
If City are found guilty then they should be punished in such way that no other club would consider going down that road again. As for league titles we should have won, I wouldn't feel right about that.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What about clubs who finished in 5th place during the City Cheating years? The missed out on Champs league & big money? Can they sue?
What about related clubs?Clubs who lost out to City in finals? Clubs who lost out on transfer targets?
Lot of lawyers are going to be getting a lot of calls.

LInkash

So you guys want to give Liverpool some additional titles?
We get the same amount more too.

I think voiding them makes those seasons a complete waste of time and that's sad. At least if second place was awarded, it would t exactly be amazing but I'd feel good about a few more titles, Rashy with a couple of extra titles to his name, Ole, Premier League winning manager, things like that feel good to me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Unfortunately every title that has been won since these issues will need to have an * beside it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The titles should be stripped, but not given to the team who came second. Just leave them vacant, with an asterisk and note in the history books that a team cheated their way to these titles.

They should also be relegated at least two divisions. I could even see an argument for dropping them all the way to the bottom of the pyramid.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What about clubs who finished in 5th place during the City Cheating years? The missed out on Champs league & big money? Can they sue?
What about related clubs?Clubs who lost out to City in finals? Clubs who lost out on transfer targets?
Lot of lawyers are going to be getting a lot of calls.
Good. And it should all be sorted out. Shame they can’t do a class action lawsuit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think they should keep their titles. They were comfortably the best team in those seasons and played amazing football.

ForeverRed1

That's the with cheating. It destroys the game. City's involvement in these league competitions. If all their results were nullified, would the league positions of other clubs remain the same?
If City are found guilty then they should be punished in such way that no other club would consider going down that road again. As for league titles we should have won, I wouldn't feel right about that.
I agree with you. I feel like a financial punishment will not be sufficient as money isn’t an object to them, they can get over that pretty quickly. I also actually agree with the titles, it wouldn’t feel right taking them now, it would feel like a handout. However I don’t want them to have titles either because they are cheats. It’s a tough one.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Strip them of the titles.

No winner declared. Leave them undeclared as a reminder to everyone, including the PL itself that they need to sort their shit out.

Don't want to be given a title that we didn't win and don't want Liverpool or others to get additional titles either.

Send them back to the stone age and make them start again.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Funny as it would be to strip titles of them i think they should be left but with an asterix (there will be a lot of them when Liverpools covid title is in ther too :keano: ).

Awarding the titles to someone else will open a whole new minefield of clubs claiming they were losing out with top 4 and Europa places even down to relegation, never mind FA Cups, League Cups etc, etc.

The main thing is to clamp down on City going forward and then put structures and parameter in place so that this cant happen again, rater than looking at past titles.

Zoo

Keep them. Everyone knows it's tainted. If their guilty boot them out.

Hughie77

Let them keep the titles, and demote them put of the league, the titles are tainted anyway. Premier has got to punish them , fines are not the Answer if so there is no point in even asking them to explain themselves. It's about money so fines will just be money again.

Lee565

They should do a fa cup like draw by throwing in all the names from the English leagues into a machine and raffle off all the fake league titles man City won

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Would love to have that Agueroooooo moment erased from the record books, together with Martin Tyler.

darko

I think they should keep their titles. They were comfortably the best team in those seasons and played amazing football.
I don't want to hunt down the difference in every title winning season, but 'comfortably the best the best team in those seasons' is load of crap. Why post such nonsense?

kopviolator

I agree with you. I feel like a financial punishment will not be sufficient as money isn’t an object to them, they can get over that pretty quickly. I also actually agree with the titles, it wouldn’t feel right taking them now, it would feel like a handout. However I don’t want them to have titles either because they are cheats. It’s a tough one.
Perhaps it would be possible to nullify their titles without giving it to another team. And perhaps the most appropriate punishment would be that in the books of history, it would say something along the lines "No winner this year because Manchester City cheated the league".

And naturally the responsible individuals should be banned from football for a few years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The norm when a winner is found to have cheated their way to the top is to award the appropriate rank when they are removed from the leaderboard. So Id be in favor of awarding the 2nd placed team the trophy, 4th 3rd spot, etc.

I do however aknowledge that moving everyone one place up, crates a cataclysmic issue at the bottom of the table where teams have gotten relegated, so a realistic option would simply be to award no winner.

Stan Jefferson

Void them, no winner, that way their cheating stays in the record books long after the stories about it die down.

lex talionis

Void the titles, awarding them to the second places it's pointless now. Players, managers and fans won't enjoy the titles like we should had and neither the club will benefit economically from it. It'll be kind of pointless.

But definitely City shouldn't be allowed to keep them. Void them so in a hundred years everyone knows and remember they were cheating scum.
This.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's kind of the point. They were the best team in most of those seasons because they exploited the financial rules to assemble the best players/managers inorganically.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They were comfortably the best team in those seasons and played amazing football.
Completely irrelevant.

I know "financial doping" doesn't quite work the same way, but Ben Johnson delivered an "amazing" 100 meters back in '88...and so forth.

If they cheated, they cheated.

But to me the answer to the poll is: strip them of the title (by all means - I don't really give a feck, to be honest, but why not), but let the record show that nobody won it that year.

It will always feel hollow to just be handed a title because the winner cheated. It will never feel like something you actually won.

Would you celebrate United "winning" the league in '21? I wouldn't.

NZT-One

I think, this is a pretty interesting topic. I can understand that fans would want City to be stripped off their titles. I personally think, it is a bit small minded though. Again, just my personal opinion - I think, it is wrong to get around the rules and they should be fined for it, maybe to a degree, that they have to re-pay sum of the amounts received for the win. Taking the titles away though is just weird, they won, because they were the best team in the league, how they got there, is not correct but also it isn't the players fault. I am totally up for it to improve the rules and to up punishments for breaking those rules and upping the available resources to force those rules but "going back in time" to take the titles away, I don't see that having any effect. They celebrated their titles already. They didn't go to the shop to buy the trophies. As painful as it is, Manchester City made a lot of good decisions in the last years (in football aspects of course) and I think, following the urge to now take it away isn't the right thing to do.

But again, I know, a bit controversial and additionally, 100% my personal standpoint with no claim of being the correct one or even a good one.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Shouldn't all of Cities games be removed and the league table recalculated on a 36 games basis? So the team that finished second wouldn't necessarily win the title, but the team that won the most points over the 36 games without the cheats in the league.
I've always been a strip and void advocate but this has intrigued me. I'd love to see the outcomes.

Loon

:lol:
Sadly they will stay in the record books. Hopefully they will be reminded by fans of all clubs of how they attained them.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don't really care about their titles. They will just pretend it didn't happen and claim the titles anyway. If they are stripped, though, then the title just needs to be voided for that year. Giving the title retrospectively to the second place side is a ridiculous idea.

For me the much more important thing is that they face sanctions that hurt them on the field going forward - ideally relegation, but maybe also a multiyear transfer ban. Since they cheated to enhance their ability to compete, the only way to really make them pay is to apply sanctions that hamper their ability to compete.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I think, this is a pretty interesting topic. I can understand that fans would want City to be stripped off their titles. I personally think, it is a bit small minded though. Again, just my personal opinion - I think, it is wrong to get around the rules and they should be fined for it, maybe to a degree, that they have to re-pay sum of the amounts received for the win. Taking the titles away though is just weird, they won, because they were the best team in the league, how they got there, is not correct but also it isn't the players fault. I am totally up for it to improve the rules and to up punishments for breaking those rules and upping the available resources to force those rules but "going back in time" to take the titles away, I don't see that having any effect. They celebrated their titles already. They didn't go to the shop to buy the trophies. As painful as it is, Manchester City made a lot of good decisions in the last years (in football aspects of course) and I think, following the urge to now take it away isn't the right thing to do.

But again, I know, a bit controversial and additionally, 100% my personal standpoint with no claim of being the correct one or even a good one.
I can't speak for everyone but I want City stripped of their titles not as a strictly punitive measure or because it's our local rivals, but because it breaks the sports washing model. City are the blueprint for this model (Abramovich had different motivations). PSG and Newcastle are in their wake.

Taking away the glory and carrot from their corruption means they are less likely to invest billions into the project if you end up actually perjorating your State's image rather than ameolarating it which is their primary motivation.

Reactions: Fortitude

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I've always been a strip and void advocate but this has intrigued me. I'd love to see the outcomes.
This would make no sense as it would only serve to punish the teams that actually managed to take points off them, despite their cheating.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I have no idea what all of you saying that "It wont matter if they are stripped" are on about.

Juventus had a pretty amazing team in the mid 2000s, as good as they got during that area. Still, everyone remembers that they were stripped of their titles and even tend to forget how good that team was.

Pes6Monster

I can't speak for everyone but I want City stripped of their titles not as a strictly punitive measure or because it's our local rivals, but because it breaks the sports washing model. City are the blueprint for this model (Abramovich had different motivations). PSG and Newcastle are in their wake.

Taking away the glory and carrot from their corruption means they are less likely to invest billions into the project if you end up actually perjorating your State's image rather than ameolarating it which is their primary motivation.
Quite.

I expect city and chelsea will get away with it, or, at worst, a fickle points deduction and punitive fine.

Taribo's Gap

So you think the UAE's global image has been ameliorated by City thus far?

NZT-One

This would make no sense as it would only serve to punish the teams that actually managed to take points off them, despite their cheating.
Yeah it is an interesting idea but good thinking on the aspect of results against them.

I don't really care about their titles. They will just pretend it didn't happen and claim the titles anyway. If they are stripped, though, then the title just needs to be voided for that year. Giving the title retrospectively to the second place side is a ridiculous idea.

For me the much more important thing is that they face sanctions that hurt them on the field going forward - ideally relegation, but maybe also a multiyear transfer ban. Since they cheated to enhance their ability to compete, the only way to really make them pay is to apply sanctions that hamper their ability to compete.
Yes, this seems like the most sensible thing to do. Could be done even by emphasizing that their "new need" to improve local talent would be something everybody would be benefitting from.

I do understand your point, just not sure, if that "sports washing" isn't already done, you know what I mean? They were able to celebrate themselves, put out the glory, brag to their partners whatever. It is a tricky situation, as it is so difficult to measure those effects.

I think, looking at the situation, I think the most important thing is to look forward and make sure, it cannot happen again. Only looking back seems a little futile while obviously something serious has to happen to show that "misbehaviour" has hurtful consequences.