What should be done with City's titles?

What should be done with City's titles?

• Total voters

slyadams

Makes sense, but I still wonder about "illegally" obtained evidence and it being inadmissible in court. This isn't the thread, but I'm all for using every bit of evidence available, regardless of how it was obtained.
I'm no expert, but laws of evidence relating to "fruit of the poisonous tree" apply apply in courts of law not in private proceedings.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Something that actually hurts them.

I don't think stripping them of their titles will. Neither will relegation. They'll just tear up the Championship, ruin it for everyone else, and be back the following season to ruin the PL again.

Something that would be effective would be something that hurts their ability to be successful in future, and breaks down their ability to remain consistently competitive, as a reprimand.

That's pretty much the only way you can hurt them.
Relegation to the Championship would also mean effectively, a two year ban from the Champions League. That would mean players leaving and probably the manager as well. I think that be a fair punishment and far beyond anything the league has done before. That won't happen.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Something else: City should be deducted 10 points for every season they are charged (lolz like they will charged for anything other than a slapped wrist). Their final position will determine if they won a title that season or not.

This way no one is "handed" a free PL. They will have earned it after the points deductions are considered.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Something else: City should be deducted 10 points for every season they are charged (lolz like they will charged for anything other than a slapped wrist). Their final position will determine if they won a title that season or not.

This way no one is "handed" a free PL. They will have earned it after the points deductions are considered.
Nice way to ensure Liverpool stay ahead in the league trophy count

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's the fairest way. And I wonder if the PL will consider this to keep their Arab overlords 'happy' while 'saving' the brand.

Of course I don't think they'll get more than a severe telling off to not do it again and a hefty fine. All meaningless.

Nicolarra90

*10 for every charge per season and if they get relegated in "x" season they get omitted in the following ones.

RedRocket9908

The charges are only for seasons up to and including 17-18 so Liverpool would only get the 13-14 one while Man Utd would get the 11-12 and 17-18 ones.

Personally I wouldnt want us to be awarded the 17-18 title as we finished about 20 points behind City but I would be happy if we were awarded the 11-12 title as we only lost out on goal difference (it should really have gone to a playoff instead) and were the better team that season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The charges are only for seasons up to and including 17-18 so Liverpool would only get the 13-14 one while Man Utd would get the 11-12 and 17-18 ones.

Personally I wouldnt want us to be awarded the 17-18 title as we finished about 20 points behind City but I would be happy if we were awarded the 11-12 title as we only lost out on goal difference (it should have gone to a playoff instead) and were the better team that season.
Ah good point. Thought about the 2 after 17-18 that Liverpool lost by a point

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Scrap the titles and make sure any reference to those seasons is always referenced with it being delared defunct due to cheating.

The massive problem of course is if you scrap titles you then open up claims to the winning monies back, claims from teams who didn't win due to cheating who may sue etc

Even Sheff Utd managed to get money for the West Ham Tevez mess when they were relegated. So imagine much higher stakes at the top end.

caid

Scrap the titles and make sure any reference to those seasons is always referenced with it being delared defunct due to cheating.

The massive problem of course is if you scrap titles you then open up claims to the winning monies back, claims from teams who didn't win due to cheating who may sue etc

Even Sheff Utd managed to get money for the West Ham Tevez mess when they were relegated. So imagine much higher stakes at the top end.
And the bottom end - teams relegated based on results against City. You cant fix it. They wont want to admit it, being in charge for 15 years worth of disqualified leagues isn't a great record. But the FA, Premier League and UEFA have failed in their part too and the record should show that, instead of hiding behind an asterix next to a bunch of titles no one wants or cares about. We stand to benefit the most from redistribution and our own fans dont want them titles.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On that theme, I always thought it was a joke that the 2005/2006 Serie A title was awarded to Inter, instead of being left vacant.

I know at the time Inter hadn't won the Scudetto for 17 long years since 1989, but I found it embarrasing that some fans that i came across were celebrating that handout title enthusiastically, as the club had actually won it on the pitch.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Would be his first title since... 2014-2015, no?

Anyway, Mourinho still loves United doesn't he?
It’s hard not to love us. Our fans always make new players and managers very welcome. He instantly got a chant. I’d say he prefers us over Chelsea even though he won the league with them. The only thing managers criticise us for is the people in the higher up which all the fans agree with.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

If they scraped the titles I don’t think it would work giving it to 2nd team places anyway. They’ll be no celebration for them, it would just be very weird. They could scrap them and just void the season as no prem winners. I’d rather them keep the titles anyway because they mean nothing, there still miles behind us in titles won, also it would mean Liverpool having a few more. I’d just rather them get relegated and have done with it.

RoyH1

Leave the titles vacant. Always vacant. That way the stink of shame follows the club that cheated forevermore.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No chance the PL will leave the titles vacant. It'd be such an ugly look for them.
Yeah that’s one of my main concerns about this. They’re obsessed with their brand and advertising the PL across the world and having all those vacant winners forever is a terrible look. They champion City on social media wherever they can so I really don’t know what they’re going to do in the end.

ForeverRed1

10 points? Everyone that for ONE breach.

JackRowley

I pesonally think that nothing will happen to City, by nothing I mean, a ten point deduction at start of the next season, a derisory fine, warning as to future conduct, blah blah blah. The main issue is that Abu Dhabi have more money than FA, PL, UEFA and FIFA and will use it to fight in all courts, until an out of court settlement is reached. As was stated in the recent documentary on the PO scandal, “Those with the most money usually win” a sad fact that's evident in daily life.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No chance the PL will leave the titles vacant. It'd be such an ugly look for them.
Yeah, if it was 1 title, it would have been a different story. Surely they wont be leaving atleast 3 possible 6-7 titles vacant

Partridge

I like to think that when they are punished, someone will create a moody video, with the oasis classic ' don't look back in anger' playing sarcastically in the background.

OldSchoolManc

They should be paraded through all the streets of England, behind a naked Pep, so everyone can shout SHAME and throw shit at him

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I like to think that when they are punished, someone will create a moody video, with the oasis classic ' don't look back in anger' playing sarcastically in the background.
For them, or everyone hoping they’ll get a just punishment who are ultimately gutted when it amounts to a slap on the wrist?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I would say strip the titles over the last 10 years and give the second place team that stayed within 5 points to make it fair. This way the team that now has the PL will at least deserved it. That was the rumor of what would happen. Let’s hope so

Partridge

For them, or everyone hoping they’ll get a just punishment who are ultimately gutted when it amounts to a slap on the wrist?
We all know the possible outcome. You could imagine credibility being questioned if such a thing were to happen. Ultimately, I think it depends on who is sucking who's dick.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Possible FFP sanctions from UEFA:
  • Reprimand
  • Fines
  • Points deduction
  • Withholding of revenue from a UEFA competition
  • Prohibition to register new players for UEFA competitions
  • Restrictions on how many players a club can register for UEFA competitions
  • Disqualification from a competition in progress
  • Exclusion from future competitions
Possible FFP sanctions from the Premier League:
  • Compensation
  • Cancel or refuse registration of players
  • Conditional punishment
  • The order for matches to be replayed
  • Points deductions
  • Suspension of club
  • Expulsion of club
  • Order the club pay costs
  • Other order as is deemed fit
The final one in bold is how they could lose titles I guess. If it did happen, they should award the titles to whoever finished second.

Jaffa Cakes II

Supports
Scunthorpe United
I'm curious to know does anyone outside of the Caf give a monkey's about City's finances?

Does anyone on the Caf think that any Premier League team's finances are squeaky clean?

Most damning of all, does anyone on the Caf think United would have won a fraction of City's titles even with all of their supposedly dodgy squillions?

I'm a football fan first and foremost. I've loved watching City's exquisite football over the years. I only wish it was United.

tomaldinho1

I'm curious to know does anyone outside of the Caf give a monkey's about City's finances?

Does anyone on the Caf think that any Premier League team's finances are squeaky clean?

Most damning of all, does anyone on the Caf think United would have won a fraction of City's titles even with all of their supposedly dodgy squillions?

I'm a football fan first and foremost. I've loved watching City's exquisite football over the years. I only wish it was United.
Pretty sure you’ll find every team in the league doesn’t want a cheat in their midst. Name a team that wouldn’t care?

Clubs have missed out on titles, European qualifications, been relegated all because of the knock on effect. United would have won, what 2 titles, not that I am bothered or want them awarded post punishment but seems quite daft question to ask? If you finish second and the team above you cheated, you are the highest placed legit team.

PL teams whose finances aren’t clean are getting punished… City’s infringements are just so vast it will take years to do anything. And even then will the gov - because it will be a gov decision - actually have the balls to do anything?

Jaffa Cakes II

Supports
Scunthorpe United
I guess it's the 'cheated' thing that gets me thinking. Do you really believe that all the other clubs are honest, upright gentlemen, true to a fault and squeaky clean? I don't for one second. If the premier league clubs accountants and lawyers are anything like those I've encountered in my career, they'll be up to every trick in the book to present their accounts in as favourable a light as possible, stretching this and bending that, underestimating this and overestimating that. The Glazers never struck me as virtuous angels - far from it.

stevoc

Possible FFP sanctions from UEFA:
  • Reprimand
  • Fines
  • Points deduction
  • Withholding of revenue from a UEFA competition
  • Prohibition to register new players for UEFA competitions
  • Restrictions on how many players a club can register for UEFA competitions
  • Disqualification from a competition in progress
  • Exclusion from future competitions
Possible FFP sanctions from the Premier League:
  • Compensation
  • Cancel or refuse registration of players
  • Conditional punishment
  • The order for matches to be replayed
  • Points deductions
  • Suspension of club
  • Expulsion of club
  • Order the club pay costs
  • Other order as is deemed fit
The final one in bold is how they could lose titles I guess. If it did happen, they should award the titles to whoever finished second.
I think it would be better if they were awarded to no one. Just stripped and recorded as no winner that year. That way City's cheating will be marked in history from that point on whenever anyone wonders why there was no winner those years.

Besides I reckon it's been too long to award them to anyone else anyway.