What should be the realistic expectations for 2020-21?

Foxbatt

I wonder why some people think we can qualify for CL? Yes if other teams didn't buy any players we may have a chance. But other teams have improved a lot. We didn't. So no way we can qualify for CL now without getting new players. I would say Liverpool, City top two with Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs for the top 3 and 4 with us fighting for 5th or 6th place.

DRM

I wonder why some people think we can qualify for CL? Yes if other teams didn't buy any players we may have a chance. But other teams have improved a lot. We didn't. So no way we can qualify for CL now without getting new players. I would say Liverpool, City top two with Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs for the top 3 and 4 with us fighting for 5th or 6th place.

Agree 100%. 5th or 6th is where we will finish!

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Deluded fans - we will finish top 4 easily

Realists - we will be lucky to get top 6.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I reckon Chelsea and Arsenal will both post 70+ points and I don’t see United doing it.

hp88

I have us finishing 6th or 7th at the moment.
Yeah it’s early but it looks like we have gone back a couple of steps from last season. It’s going to take another sacking to get something out of this lot.

SAFMUTD

Getting top 4 would be a good result based on the players and coach we have, but we will probably end up top 6.

Siorac

I reckon Chelsea and Arsenal will both post 70+ points and I don’t see United doing it.
Not getting 70+ points should be a sackable offence, transfers or not. We got 66 last season with Pogba missing two thirds of the season and Bruno only joining at the end of January. If we can't improve on that, the coaching team must be held responsible.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not getting 70+ points should be a sackable offence, transfers or not. We got 66 last season with Pogba missing two thirds of the season and Bruno only joining at the end of January. If we can't improve on that, the coaching team must be held responsible.
We’ve seemingly come into the season using the weeks until the next internationals as pre-season. We’re going to be miles off already once Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal all come to Old Trafford early.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Expectations should be top 4. If Ole fails to achieve that or we're still collecting similar points as last season, he should be sacked.

Siorac

We’ve seemingly come into the season using the weeks until the next internationals as pre-season. We’re going to be miles off already once Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal all come to Old Trafford early.
Yeah, probably - I expect to get around 4-5 points from the next 5 league games, at most. But that doesn't change what I said: getting fewer than 70 points again would be an absolute disgrace and no way the manager should survive that.

ravi2

We'll get 5th if we are lucky, most likely 6th.
Either way Ole will be fired by Ed, as is tradition and the cycle continues.

Tony247

5th looks realistic. Although I think we might finish 6th or 7th.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As I said in another expectations thread:

My expectations are still the same. I want to see cohesive, modern day, progressive football that pretty much every other big club plays. It's been two years and there's still no signs of it so I'm not holding my breath this year. I expect us to rely on individual brilliance in most games, and bus parking, counter attacking football in the big ones.
Regardless of what position we finish in, these were my expectations, and, as expected, we're nowhere near achieving this after nearly 3(!) years.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I didn't write before today but nothing has changed.

I expect us to be scrapping with Arsenal for 4th spot. Maybe Tottenham as well.

DSG

Disagree. Shite squad. Board is at fault. No investment in the summer.

Siorac

Disagree. Shite squad. Board is at fault. No investment in the summer.
The squad might be shite but last season Andreas Pereira started 18 Premier League games. This season that number should be zero as he has Pogba, Fernandes, and van de Beek ahead of him. We haven't lost anyone significant (or anyone insignificant either at this point which is yet another failure of the club but anyway). As such, there's really no excuse not to improve on last season's points total, unless another key player gets an injury like Pogba's last season. But if Pogba, van de Beek, Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, and Maguire are all fit to play 30+ league games then we should get more than 70 points, and probably over 75. On paper anyway.

OrcaFat

Expectations should be top 4. If Ole fails to achieve that or we're still collecting similar points as last season, he should be sacked.
Yes.

I’m a big Ole fan and most of the negative comments about him on here are just drivel. But I think it’s best for the club if he goes if we don’t at least get 4th.

He will have done all he can with what he’s got and I wouldn’t be surprised if he resigned, similar to Keegan with the England job.

It’s one thing to say he should be able to finish 4th with this squad but quite another to find a coach who will actually do that without more backing. Some of the best coaches came here and failed.

If we don’t get top four, Ole should be gone. But the root of the problem is not the coach.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes.

I’m a big Ole fan and most of the negative comments about him on here are just drivel. But I think it’s best for the club if he goes if we don’t at least get 4th.

He will have done all he can with what he’s got and I wouldn’t be surprised if he resigned, similar to Keegan with the England job.

It’s one thing to say he should be able to finish 4th with this squad but quite another to find a coach who will actually do that without more backing. Some of the best coaches came here and failed.

If we don’t get top four, Ole should be gone. But the root of the problem is not the coach.
100% agree. We'll still have the core problems, however, although we've got terrible owners and incompetent executives, top managers still make a difference and whoever is in that United seat needs to display that to keep the job.

Will Singh

We should be improving on last season for starters. I think we need to concentrate on winning and getting points on the board and get away from this “United way” Ole like to bang on about.

SAFMUTD

Would anyone can really write off that we wont end outside top 6? I mean last season was maked up because of the Bruno effect and the amazing string of results but seeing us today I wouldn't be surprised we turn back again to last years poor form and dont even achieve top 6.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Top5-6 will be difficult with the rise of Everton and Arsenal rapidly healing the wounds of 19-20.

DSG

The squad might be shite but last season Andreas Pereira started 18 Premier League games. This season that number should be zero as he has Pogba, Fernandes, and van de Beek ahead of him. We haven't lost anyone significant (or anyone insignificant either at this point which is yet another failure of the club but anyway). As such, there's really no excuse not to improve on last season's points total, unless another key player gets an injury like Pogba's last season. But if Pogba, van de Beek, Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, and Maguire are all fit to play 30+ league games then we should get more than 70 points, and probably over 75. On paper anyway.
Ah... except Chelsea spent 200m on world class attackers. Liverpool brought in Thiago, and just bought Jota. City with Ake and Torres. Arsenal with Gabrielle to help their defense. Spurs with Bale, Reguilon, Ward-Prowse, etc. both Leicester and Wolves will be tough to beat. Everton with James and Ancelloti there for an entire season will be a different animal.

If you are standing still, others will pass you. VDB is a great addition, and will help us. But you could see last season, there were maybe 13 players in the squad that Ole truly trusts. We really have feck all as squad players. Even more worryingly, we aren’t moving any players on either. Which tells me the Glazers aren’t planning on any major signings.

The lack of investment in the squad is embarrassing. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but it is interesting that only with our backs against the wall did we bring in Bruno in January. I truly think that the Glazers are completely fine with top 4 and have little interest in competing for titles. As long as the shirt and kit sponsors are satisfied, and we get our extra 75m, who cares where we finish???

Irwin99

It's just one game today, despite the crap result. Top 4 and maybe a good cup run has to be the bare minimum and anything outside of that isn't good enough for a club of United's size.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Unless we make at least two top class signing we are going to be in another scrap for top four. Liverpool, City and Chelsea are clearly top three then we're scrapping for fourth with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs (if Bale stays fit), Everton who have basically transformed their whole midfield with three better players, Wolves and Leicester.

marktan

We will be fighting for top 4. It will be harder than last season as Chelsea, Arsenal have all improved, and Spurs to a lesser extent. But we have good players, despite todays showing. It'll be a tough fight that's for sure.

The sad part is that we could be in a title fight if we signed a couple more key players. But we always seem to hit top 4 and the plateau recently,

Jacob

Hope we finish 10th. Maybe that will get Woodward out.

Paul_Scholes18

This rebuild we are doing is just taking us down.
Not smart investment nor do we invest enough money into it.

Should still get top 4 if we sort ourselfes out.

DSG

For those of you moaning about Ole, be careful what you wish for... with a shite squad, no depth, little support from the board, there will be no top class manager at Old Trafford. A parade of has beens and unproven managers with no connection to our history our culture or even SAF.

Redfrog

100% agree. We'll still have the core problems, however, although we've got terrible owners and incompetent executives, top managers still make a difference and whoever is in that United seat needs to display that to keep the job.
Problem is no top manager will come here as they can see we are run by idiots. If we were run properly by football men with a football project they could be tempted but most of them are not attracted by the idea of being the next clown in Disneyland.
So I would say if there was competent people at the top it will be a lot easier to look like a football club.

Siorac

Ah... except Chelsea spent 200m on world class attackers. Liverpool brought in Thiago, and just bought Jota. City with Ake and Torres. Arsenal with Gabrielle to help their defense. Spurs with Bale, Reguilon, Ward-Prowse, etc. both Leicester and Wolves will be tough to beat. Everton with James and Ancelloti there for an entire season will be a different animal.

If you are standing still, others will pass you. VDB is a great addition, and will help us. But you could see last season, there were maybe 13 players in the squad that Ole truly trusts. We really have feck all as squad players. Even more worryingly, we aren’t moving any players on either. Which tells me the Glazers aren’t planning on any major signings.

The lack of investment in the squad is embarrassing. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but it is interesting that only with our backs against the wall did we bring in Bruno in January. I truly think that the Glazers are completely fine with top 4 and have little interest in competing for titles. As long as the shirt and kit sponsors are satisfied, and we get our extra 75m, who cares where we finish???
Which is why I'm talking points totals, not positions. Last season 66 was enough for 3rd, this time 75 might not be enough for top 4. We'll see. But our squad must do better than last season in terms of points and goals. There is simply no excuse not to. Greenwood is a little older, Bruno is here for the whole season, Pogba is available.

Yes, we'd need massive investment for a title challenge (with the current coaching setup anyway) but getting more points than last season must be the minimum requirement. If over 200m isn't enough for a United manager to break the 70 points mark, he shouldn't be a United manager.

youmeletsfly

It's one game, relax.

On the other side, these issues were pretty obvious 1 year ago as well, don't understand the whole drama. What were you expecting, us being suddenly good?

DSG

Which is why I'm talking points totals, not positions. Last season 66 was enough for 3rd, this time 75 might not be enough for top 4. We'll see. But our squad must do better than last season in terms of points and goals. There is simply no excuse not to. Greenwood is a little older, Bruno is here for the whole season, Pogba is available.

Yes, we'd need massive investment for a title challenge (with the current coaching setup anyway) but getting more points than last season must be the minimum requirement. If over 200m isn't enough for a United manager to break the 70 points mark, he shouldn't be a United manager.
Hey, everyone! I found Malcolm Glazer and he's hiding among us, a subversive agent trying to own the narrative! His username is @Siorac, please target your vitriol accordingly...

You've got an interesting standard for a manager. In the 2015-16 season, City finished with 66 points and hired in Pep Guardiola. They spent 238m that summer on 6 first teamers (200m net spend), and improved by a mere 12 points to 78, finishing third. The next summer, they spent an additional 350m on 6 first team players (net spend 250m), and won the league.

If Pep Guardiola, probably the world's greatest manager, requires 600m and 12 players to turn a decent City team into champions, why would you expect Ole to magically steer the team to four more points with a threadbare squad and a mere 40m in squad investments? Wolves have spent more than we have -- Liverpool, Spurs, City, Chelsea, Everton.... they all have. They have all strengthened considerably, yet you, Mr. Glazer, expect us to improve our point total from last season. You're delusional, and I find this whole stance repugnant.

Yes, it is much CHEAPER to fire the manager, bring in a new one. If you aren't going to support our current manager because you don't think he's the next SAF, fine, get rid of him now, bring in another. Just know that you can bring in the next great hope as a manager, but if you aren't willing to spend 400-600m on transfers to support your manager and challenge for titles, you'll continue bouncing between 8th and 5th. If you can't handle to costs of competing for domestic and European trophies in the very competitive Premier League, please sell your stake, leave the club, and fade away. Buy a team in Austria or Belgium if you HAVE to have a team, but stop ruining this club.