What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

seegoblu

This false No10 at RW tactic worked so well for Mata didn`t it???
It might be unfair to compare anyone with him, but hasn’t Messi been playing a false 10 at RW for years?

If Sancho won’t move this window, then those transfer dollars split across other acquisitions could really strengthen the squad. How about filling the RW with O. Dembele for 37m (or even better, as a loan with an option to buy) plus finally replacing Lukaku with Werner for 50m and the balance spent on a new CDM like Zakaria for 35m.

I know that without offsetting sales, it’s unlikely that the club will spend that much, especially since Barca will likely demand the fee upfront to help settle their books (although I’m sure they’re even more motivated to remove Dembele’s salary as they are up against La Liga’s salary cap) and Werner is available by activating his buyout clause which requires the full amount to be posted...but if the resources are there for United to spend, this could be a transformative window.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What’s your team for next season then?

You can spout as many stats as you like, great players can play in multiple positions. I’ve been watching football long enough to see that with my own eyes.

I also never said it’s his best position but an OPTION if we don’t get Sancho.

Can you not accept another persons opinion? Or do you go off the facts no matter what?

If you waited for stats to show things would work well before trying them you’ll get no where in life.
What scenario are you wanting my team suggestion for?

With Sancho?
Different RW?
What we have currently?
Ideal scenario?

I’m not spouting I’m showing why I have an informed opinion. The burden of proof is not on me it’s on you to show why he’s a good RW option. There has been little argument other than “we won’t know unless we try” which is ludicrous.

Explain to me how Bruno playing wide won’t just narrow our attack and force Wan Bissaka to work even harder and become a main creative threat? How do you expect us to generate width with him in the side?

I understand you think it’s an option. I think it’s such a terrible idea I don’t consider it an option.

I also accept you have a different opinion I just think it’s poorly thought out. Pardon the pun but you just suggest we wing it without thinking and see if it works just seems desperate.

Equally if you blindly ignore evidence all the time because you have a hunch you’ll be disappointed.

Not every winger is lightening quick nor is it a requirement to be a good one.
Mata was simply to slow to play anywhere let alone RW.
Name me a successful RW/ False RW In the PL who isn’t quick?

I’m guessing you’d say Bernardo Silva what foot does he play off?

Mata is a good player. Just not a RW. Like Bruno isn’t.

Ollie Derbyshire

burden of proof
Haha, I don’t have to prove anything, I don’t have the time or inclination to write a thesis on why I think Bruno would work at RW. I think it’s an option I would consider.

Without Sancho obviously as the title of the thread suggests, you can suggest buying Messi is you want, it would be your opinion. Let’s see what you got. If you suggest new players, at least say how much you think we’d need to pay for them.

UpWithRivers

If we don’t get Sancho this season then there is no point buying anyone else for RW if we intend To go for him next season, waste of money and we can spend that elsewhere
Agree in a sense but we still need replacements for Mata, Periera, Lingard et al. So if we could get a good, cheapish option that can be back up then they are still needed. One more year of those players isnt going to do us any favours.

Have to say I don’t think we are particularly desperate for a RW but IF Sancho is available then we should do everything in our power to sign him.

It’s a no-brainer for me. £100m looks like a big number but it’s a bargain for a player who has 10+ season’s left at the top and will have resale value going into his next contract renewal even if he signs the standard 5+1
What? Where have you been for the last 10 years. We literally dont have one natural RW just a bunch of players shoehorned into the position and its been that way for years. I think Greenwood can do a job there are and every so often Mata has put in a performance at RW and even James could go there but thats like playing Matic at CB and Jones in midfield. We are so desperate for a RW that Woodward might even buy one.

romufc

I agree but how do you know if you don’t try it?
I want to see Rash, Martial, Pogba, Bruno, Fred & McT on the pitch together, someone has to play in that area, I’d start Bruno there and Let them rotate.
What you want and what is realistic are two different things.

Why sign someone as a AM, starts off well and throw him out the the RW where he will barely have an impact on the game?

A player who as a AM will probably give you so much quality.

If you want them all to play, the formation will have to change to a 4-4-2 diamond with McTominay on the right of the diamond, Pogba left and Bruno at the tip.

Ollie Derbyshire

Agree in a sense but we still need replacements for Mata, Periera, Lingard et al. So if we could get a good, cheapish option that can be back up then they are still needed. One more year of those players isnt going to do us any favours.

What? Where have you been for the last 10 years. We literally dont have one natural RW just a bunch of players shoehorned into the position and its been that way for years. I think Greenwood can do a job there are and every so often Mata has put in a performance at RW and even James could go there but thats like playing Matic at CB and Jones in midfield. We are so desperate for a RW that Woodward might even buy one.
Agreed, if we can shift deadwood then getting in a cheaper RW wouldn’t be the worse decision. If not then I’d stick with what we have.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Also surprised at the amount happy to go in to next season with James and Greenwood as the only 2 options for the RW spot. I mean if people are happy for another battle for 4th place next season then that’s what they’ll be getting if those are our only right sided options.
Does it change things though? If we sign Sancho or new RW now, we’ll still battle for 4th place anyway. That new RW isn’t going to closed that 37 points gaps with Liverpool unless if you are talking about Mbappe.

Ollie Derbyshire

What you want and what is realistic are two different things.

Why sign someone as a AM, starts off well and throw him out the the RW where he will barely have an impact on the game?

A player who as a AM will probably give you so much quality.

If you want them all to play, the formation will have to change to a 4-4-2 diamond with McTominay on the right of the diamond, Pogba left and Bruno at the tip.
I’d happily go with that formation, I’m off the opinion you should be fluid with formations in game. Others would say why move Rashford from the left to up front.

Also, how do you know he’d have no effect there? No one does.

Luke1995

Unpopular opinion but why not try Brandon Williams there ? I know it won't happen but that would allow Shaw to have a run at that left back spot. Williams is young and has the will to learn, maybe it could work.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unpopular opinion but why not try Brandon Williams there ? I know it won't happen but that would allow Shaw to have a run at that left back spot. Williams is young and has the will to learn, maybe it could work.
Because he‘s a full back, a defender not a winger or attacker and he doesn’t have an asset of winger. Probably stupid idea I‘ve ever read, at least put Greenwood or James in there first and then Dalot and then Gomes/Chong before Williams. From all names, you picked Williams. :eek:

romufc

I’d happily go with that formation, I’m off the opinion you should be fluid with formations in game. Others would say why move Rashford from the left to up front.

Also, how do you know he’d have no effect there? No one does.
Thats fine, there are rumours that Ole might change formation to that anyway.

Well, I would argue that having 2 up top will allow Rashford to drift left, he plays inside left from the LW anyway.

How do I know? he is 25 coming to a prime age and he doesn't play there. He was signed to play AM, which is what we should do. He has hardly played there in his career, so why change his position now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If anything We should try Dalot first in there. He's the most obvious choice.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Does it change things though? If we sign Sancho or new RW now, we’ll still battle for 4th place anyway. That new RW isn’t going to closed that 37 points gaps with Liverpool unless if you are talking about Mbappe.
It's not just Sancho though is it? We've also bought Bruno who has made a big difference after being bought to fill the other gaping hole in our team, Pogba might still be here after barely playing this season (with actual decent players around him for the first time since he arrived), and Rashford and Martial having another season of maturing under their belts.

Will it be enough to win the title in the first season? Highly doubtful. It should however cement us firmly in the top four for the first time since Fergie retired, and put us in a position to push on as our very young team matures over the following season or two.

Ollie Derbyshire

Thats fine, there are rumours that Ole might change formation to that anyway.

Well, I would argue that having 2 up top will allow Rashford to drift left, he plays inside left from the LW anyway.

How do I know? he is 25 coming to a prime age and he doesn't play there. He was signed to play AM, which is what we should do. He has hardly played there in his career, so why change his position now.
Because the thread title asked what would you do if we don’t buy Sancho.
I prefer to get the players I’ve mentioned on the pitch together to see if it can work than play James or Greenwood there who I feel would be better coming and attacking tired defences.

romufc

Go and have a look, alot of teams have closed the gap with a couple signings from 20+ points behind the champions.

Garry Buck

I think Chelsea are a prime example of how you can win the league the following season after having such a shit season the year before. 10th one season and champions the next season. That being said they also went from champions to 5th. Strange how this all works.

romufc

I think Chelsea are a prime example of how you can win the league the following season after having such a shit season the year before. 10th one season and champions the next season. That being said they also went from champions to 5th. Strange how this all works.

The state of the PL at the moment is such.. you cannot predict anything. No one would have predicted City being 20 points behind.

Or even Leicester 3rd.

A couple good signings, injury luck and good fortune in early games and then you never know who will win the league.

romufc

We finally get a good AM who pulls the strings and drives the team and people want him to play RW? :lol:
When we have two players who can play that position. Dan James and Greenwood. I can't process the decision making process.

Mark Pawelek

Of players available for RW Greenwood is currently the best option because he's such a goal threat you'd want to play him more often. He's really more of right inside forward than winger. Dalot is the second best option but plays too much like a wing-back, and is the slowest of the 4. James is a better counter attacking threat. Chong should go out on loan.

1. Mason Greenwood - Never crosses.
2. Diogo Dalot - Balanced attacking/defending. About as good as James or Matondo in attack. Better than them in defence.
3. Daniel James - Fastest. Better on the left than right. Misses a lot of shots.
4. Tahith Chong - Too easily dispossessed. First touch under pressure needs improvement.

Last edited:

Luke1995

Because he‘s a full back, a defender not a winger or attacker and he doesn’t have an asset of winger. Probably stupid idea I‘ve ever read, at least put Greenwood or James in there first and then Dalot and then Gomes/Chong before Williams. From all names, you picked Williams. :eek:
Ashley Young began as a winger and later on became a defender, a full back, despite spending his whole career as a winger. I think Williams could make that transition, specially because he's very young.

Andersons Dietician

I know not in a million years would this happen but ummm cheeky bid for Leroy Sanè. I think it was the summer we got rid of LVG but up until that moment the two players I wanted for the RW were Sané and Dembele. Leroy doing it at Schalke and Dembele at Rennes.

Fair enough that Pep has pretty much just made him a LW but he was very good on the right for Schalke.

Dante

Average bang
Nobody.

If we can't get Sancho, the easiest way to fix the attack is with a false #9 instead.

Rashford/Martial/Greenwood are all brilliant goalscorers from wide forward positions. Keep them there, with back up from James.

But then a hard working and creative false #9 is going to be the easiest way to get the most out of what they already offer. It should also help to bring Bruno more into the box.

Obviously, a world class talent like Sancho would add even more to the squad. But buying an inferior version as a stop gap would be a bad squad building move given that we already have plenty of options out wide. It's just that those options lack creativity, so we need some other way to make chances.

Jiminez seems like a decent starting point.

Last edited:

NoPace

1. 1 year loan , like Bayern did to get Perisic. Have to think some team will be looking for short term cash. Could even get creative by loaning them Gomes or Dalot or Dean Henderson for a year in return.

2. Sign someone like Grealish that we need anyways and just play a diamond with 2 strikers up top or be able to play Grealish on the left and Rashford more on the right.

3. A creative option would be to sign the attacking left wingback we need anyways to challenge Shaw and play with him when we got 5 at the back, and have him cover at RW for a season. I guess this would be Robert Skov who does this right now for Hoffenheim, or McNeil at Burnley if we think he can potentially play LB as he develops. Alphonse Davies would be the perfect option here but we missed him. He looks like the next Bale, who is maybe the archetype here, but not sure who the next Davies is.

NoPace

We haven't had a decent right winger for a decade now. If Sancho can't be got this summer we have to get somebody else even if you then buy Sancho the following summer as well.

Federico Chiesa has been playing more centrally at times but could be a good option.

Rabbi Matondo, Leon Bailey, Ousmane Dembele, Ferran Torres, David Neres, Ismaila Sarr. You have to try and improve. Daniel James isn't good enough.
Yeah, long term, it probably makes sense to have 6 players for 3 attacking spots and we only have 4 in Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and James. If you figure one player has an injury every year and only gives us 15 starts games and James getting like 15 starts as a guy whose primary job is to come on in the last 30 minutes and run at tired defenders, that leaves about 35 starts each for the other 4 guys which is probably about right for a team going for the Prem and Europe.

City have 6 main attackers in Aguero, Jesus, Sane, Mahrez, Sterling and Bernardo with Bernardo getting the occasional start in the midfield 3, but we could replicate that if we signed someone capable of that like Grealish or just played more 442 then they do against bad teams.

And if we sign Sancho and he's a clear starter and both Greenwood and Rashford pass Martial and he doesn't want to be a sub then we sell him and get a traditional backup 9 type maybe even for less than we sell Martial to go with James and the winger we sign this summer as our 6.

Dembele one year loan with option to buy makes a ton of sense. Barca get a big loan fee immediately and his salary off the books. He's supposed to be back in August so it's a risk health-wise, but we get upside of a big year from the most talented guy on that list and maybe we pick up his option. And realistically where are they gonna loan him where he would happily go, the team has the money but also he definitely starts and upgrades his value when healthy?

Torres is an interesting player, probably left-sided long term since he's right footed but holds the right touchline for Valencia so could do it for another season and plays a lot of nice low crosses and cutbacks to get the ball to the feet of our forwards and Bruno which they need.

Matondo looked too raw to start for us the the one time I've seen him, but also quick.

Sarr has potential, but I don't know if he would start for us yet.

Might also be a loan from Madrid that makes sense as they have so many wingers and attacking midfielders, even if we keep Pogba but especially as part of a deal if he goes there. Hazard and Asensio won't move but one of Odegaard, Bale, Isco, James, Rodrygo, Vinicius or Brahim Diaz (holy shit that's a long list) could gives us a nice holdover season and maybe an option to buy in some cases. There's also Lucas Vasquez as a one season loan option but he never scores goals. Makes more sense for a team playing 4-4-2 with proper tough strikers cuz he works hard and is responsible, like he'd be a fantastic Burnley signing or even a pretty good Everton one with Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin to smack crosses at. Our forwards are terrible in the box and we need more goalscoring out right.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not just Sancho though is it? We've also bought Bruno who has made a big difference after being bought to fill the other gaping hole in our team, Pogba might still be here after barely playing this season (with actual decent players around him for the first time since he arrived), and Rashford and Martial having another season of maturing under their belts.

Will it be enough to win the title in the first season? Highly doubtful. It should however cement us firmly in the top four for the first time since Fergie retired, and put us in a position to push on as our very young team matures over the following season or two.
You just said it "highly doubtful". And you even mentioned quality name of players like Bruno, Pogba, Rashford & Martial which should tell you that we have enough top quality players to secure us top 4 next season.

This RW isn't a must signing this summer, we can hold to it next season. So why are we in such a rush? If we are financially not in position to sign Sancho or RW then so be it, let's rely on what we got, it's not like Spurs, Chelsea or even Leicester will be in better stage financially than us for this summer, so they will also have the same problem which could prevent them to improve their squad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ashley Young began as a winger and later on became a defender, a full back, despite spending his whole career as a winger. I think Williams could make that transition, specially because he's very young.
So Dalot then? Why even Williams when based on ability Dalot is more suitable pick.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Go and have a look, alot of teams have closed the gap with a couple signings from 20+ points behind the champions.
What about you give an example. Never mind 20 points, we are 30+ points behind. And beside "couple signings" is different to "one signing".

For us to get closed to Liverpool next season is that if Martial & Rashford step up into world class level first.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think if we don't get Sancho this window we should wait till the next. Would use the chance to focus on another position. We already know we want a back up ST and RW this window so if we don't get RW-Sancho go for a DM or another weak position in the squad and try for Sancho again next window

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dalot is also more injury prone.
So now injury prone is the issue here. Then go for Daniel James, Greenwood, Chong & Gomes.

Like I said before it was one of the most stupid idea I have ever read. This is your 2nd replied and so far you have nothing to tell me what assets Williams has to be a winger. Not every full back can turn into winger.