What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Alot of people are hoping we can get Sancho this window to solve our right wing problems. But as experience has taught us, signing him this window is not a certainty and for a couple of reasons(virus, price or Sancho himself). So what should we do if Sancho decides to stay another year at Dortmund considering that this will leave the right wing as still the biggest hole in the squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think we will. I have been very vocal about it I know.

However as long as he doesn't sign a new contract or join anyone else I think we should go back in for him next summer or even January as his price will drop due to his contract running out on 2 years.

Liverpool wanted VVD and had to wait an extra window. Best decision they have made in 30 years you'd have to say too. If we can't get Sancho this summer which with all the obstacles seems likely then we should wait for him.

Champagne Football

Is he going to be back when the league resumes? I don't think we should get someone who has been injured all season
He's expected back yes. Rashford missed half the season. Pogba missed the whole season. Brooks has had a tough time but he could play for most teams in the PL if he can stay injury free

RkkMan

However as long as he doesn't sign a new contract or join anyone else I think we should go back in for him next summer or even January as his price will drop due to his contract running out on 2 years.

Liverpool wanted VVD and had to wait an extra window. Best decision they have made in 30 years you'd have to say too. If we can't get Sancho this summer which with all the obstacles seems likely then we should wait for him.
There is zero guarantee our chances of getting him next year will be high though. If he has another good season and a storming Euros the likes of Madrid/Barca/PSG/Liverpool/Chelsea/City could all come into the frame and with a year left on his deal he will be affordable to all those clubs especially cause the financial effects of COVID will have subsided. As of now we are the only club that may afford him even with COVID around so we simply have to take advantage of this and try our best to make this deal happen or it probably never will. Now or never for me.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's expected back yes. Rashford missed half the season. Pogba missed the whole season. Brooks has had a tough time but he could play for most teams in the PL if he can stay injury free
Yeah if returns and plays well this season then we should definitely be looking at him. Can play both RW and AM.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If there is an agreement in place and it’s another year, I think you could do worse than Willian on a free.

He doesn’t have the output in terms of goals, but is great at carrying the ball and is a natural on that side. He works hard too and is a good footballer.

Signing him on a free and focusing funds on a proper CF, and next year, turning to Sancho, doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.

At the end of the day, we have no natural player in that position, so Willian would do nicely as a stop gap

tjb

Honestly, several options.

a. Sign Grealish, we can either play him on the right or move to a wingerless formation that can accommodate Pogba Fernandes and Grealish, like a diamond.
b. We can sign a young player like Matondo
c.We can sign an older player on loan or on a short term deal for the role, like Bayern did with Perisic

Hawks2008

Sign someone else, either he wants to come or he doesn't and we should not wait around and neglect our right wing forever. We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be waiting on anyone.

Sign someone else, either he wants to come or he doesn't and we should not wait around and neglect our right wing forever. We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be waiting on anyone.
It's not dependant on just him, he has a contract for a club. All signs point to him wanting or being willing to come, but the problem is agreeing a fee with Dortmund in the current situation. I very much doubt he'll force his way out and personally I don't expect a player to do that to sign for us.

Personally, I'd play Greenwood there as his output on the right wing is quite good despite his lack of overall play at times. Then go back in for Sancho in January, although it's very possible Barca or Real could be in for him by then. It can't be overstated what a dearth of quality right wingers there is in the game right now, and Sancho is a generational English talent who plays there.

I want the right wing to be filled as much as anyone, the fact that we've been shoehorning attacking mids and natural left wingers there since Valencia and Nani is disgraceful. Personally, I think we'll end up finding an agreement for Sancho this summer. Leaving it till January like with VVD could be a good option if Dortmund are really holding out, although we very possibly still won't have more matchday revenue by then. If the deal is truly dead next summer I'd try for Neres, Traore or Brooks. Though I'm far from enamored with Neres or Traore, and Brooks is probably a more natural central attacking midfielder (where have I heard that before). It'd be devastating to miss out on Sancho considering everything.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There is zero guarantee our chances of getting him next year will be high though. If he has another good season and a storming Euros the likes of Madrid/Barca/PSG/Liverpool/Chelsea/City could all come into the frame and with a year left on his deal he will be affordable to all those clubs especially cause the financial effects of COVID will have subsided. As of now we are the only club that may afford him even with COVID around so we simply have to take advantage of this and try our best to make this deal happen or it probably never will. Now or never for me.
There is zero guarantee we can afford him this summer though. It doesn't look like being a window where loads of cash is going to change hands at all. The really reliable journalists have already said the talk they are hearing is of loans and swap deals already.

Our fans need to get it out of their heads that we are going to splash out 100 to 150m this summer. It's just pure fantasy stuff in my eyes.

romufc

There is zero guarantee we can afford him this summer though. It doesn't look like being a window where loads of cash is going to change hands at all. The really reliable journalists have already said the talk they are hearing is of loans and swap deals already.

Our fans need to get it out of their heads that we are going to splash out 100 to 150m this summer. It's just pure fantasy stuff in my eyes.
The funny thing is we complain about being tight every transfer window, I remember last summer when we had only signed James.. and only bought Maguire once Lukaku deal was agreed.

Even in January, the Bruno deal took so long.

During pre covid times we didnt spend much over the last few years, what makes anyone believe we will spend more than £50m?

OleTheGreat

Alot of people are hoping we can get Sancho this window to solve our right wing problems. But as experience has taught us, signing him this window is not a certainty and for a couple of reasons(virus, price or Sancho himself). So what should we do if Sancho decides to stay another year at Dortmund considering that this will leave the right wing as still the biggest hole in the squad.
I say we keep Rashford on the left, Martial and Ighalo in the middle and play Greenwood on the right. He's an intelligent chap and will score from any position. He can use both feet which gives him the advantage of dribbling in with both feet and making it difficult for defenders. Also all 3 can use both feet and therefore drift in and out of the box with ease. With Pogba and Bruno as number 8s, we might have the best attacking side in the game. I'd love to see the midfield 3 of Pogba, Bruno and either Fred or Mctominay. This will give us many attacking options and both Pogba and Bruno are clever in terms of positioning themselves to break play and use each other to push the ball into dangerous areas for attackers to move into. We don't really need Sancho unless he really wants to play for us. Ferran Torres is a decent buy but again it's the same thing, if he wants to absolutely play for us we have the option but right now i think we can make do with the squad we have.

fps

Play James and Greenwood, wait for the right player. If that player isn’t Sancho, then wait until the next eight player is available. No compromise on quality.

RkkMan

Our liquidity level is amongst the most stable though, the amount of cash in hand and money in credit is evidence. With the PL set to continue and potential CL qualification and if we are lucky a trophy(EL or FA Cup) any financial strain will be offset and a lot of reliable journos and financial experts have also said Utd are one of the few clubs that can spend don`t know why you left that out and a lot of deals will likely be structured in add ons and over a duration of years anyway in this current environment any deal that guarantees money will be taken.
The funny thing is we complain about being tight every transfer window, I remember last summer when we had only signed James.. and only bought Maguire once Lukaku deal was agreed.

Even in January, the Bruno deal took so long.

During pre covid times we didnt spend much over the last few years, what makes anyone believe we will spend more than £50m?
The Lukaku/Maguire thing is a myth though cause Lukaku`s deal is being paid over 5 years and it has add ons and Maguire`s fee was paid up front so this notion we needed to sell him to afford Maguire is a myth. I don`t expect a MASSIVE spending but we will spend 100% and more than 50m if you factor we can still make sales on top of what we have available to spend.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Play James and Greenwood, wait for the right player. If that player isn’t Sancho, then wait until the next eight player is available. No compromise on quality.
Agreed.

SAFMUTD

Play Greenwood there, I think at the moment we need quality before quantity. I dont see any other top RW that we can get that would make a real impact.

The approach we’ve taken with the likes as AWB and Maguire, I think is the correct one. Spend on quality players that can make an impact, Id rather wait for Sancho or until another great winger appear than get someone of mid quality.

seegoblu

If a year long placeholder is necessary, I’d call up Barca and take Dembele off their hands on a loan + option to buy at 40mm next summer. Dembele starts as RW with Greenwood and James taking over if/when Dembele gets injured.

If Dembele works out at RW, you pick up his option to buy and either pass on Sancho next summer and spend elsewhere (top available CB?) or recast Dembele as a super sub coming in LW/RW and a rotation piece with the starting XI and get Sancho as a starter on the right.

If Dembele proves to be too fragile then you don’t exercise the option and pay Dortmund what they want for Sancho

Jesse > Messi

Completely agree - I can’t believe I’m saying it but do as the scousers did if we can’t get him this window, then we just need to sit on our hands and wait for him in the next window. IMO it’s Sancho or bust he’s the ideal candidate and will definitely kick the team on again - obviously we need a backup option but realistically I don’t think they should be entertaining anything other than the idea of bringing Sancho rn

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We leave the right wing open and play 10 men. Give Pogba a bit of a challenge.

Mr. Meeseeks

Timo Werner if available. But not getting a 'natural' RW would not be the end of the world because we have Greenwood and James. What we really need is a CF to back up Rashford and Martial. Werner would be perfect because he can play on the right and play in the middle when needed. Not to mention that he is also lethal from the left. Makes the squad a lot more unpredictable.

I think he is off to Liverpool, but recent news about them not wanting to pay 50m for him has given me a slight hope that we can get him. If we can get CL qualification, play well, score plenty and catch his eye, maybe then we can make him a strong enough offer. It is said that he was a fan of United during the SAF days.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I doubt our net spend will be higher than £50m this summer so an awful lot will depend on who we manage to shift out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not end of the world if United don't get a RW this window. What is a new RW will turn United into? A champion? No! With Sancho or no, we are currently not in that level.

Unless if both Rashford & Martial step up to world class level, I don't see us be a title winner and we are currently have a squad that is good enough for top 4 place next season even with James or Greenwood on the right.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's not end of the world if United don't get a RW this window. What is a new RW will turn United into? A champion? No! With Sancho or no, we are currently not in that level.

Unless if both Rashford & Martial step up to world class level, I don't see us be a title winner and we are currently have a squad that is good enough for top 4 place next season even with James or Greenwood on the right.
Rashford this season has put up world class numbers. Not saying he’s there yet but another season like it and he’s as good as.

Martial isn’t too far off IMO.

I think you’re right that even Sancho wouldn’t turn us into title challengers but I think Bruno in with a fit Pogba and Sancho would get us better than top 4.

yo@Kirk

I believe Greenwood will show his quality at RW before this season is complete and will start next season as #1 at the position. 50m net spend won't allow big money signings.

steve88

I think go for Sancho if we can't get him this year due to money or making a deal with dortmund get brooks in as a cheap signing then go for sancho again the next year

if he dies not want to sign for us for what ever reason I guess the other English guy at manz

Or wermer but I think is liverpool bound but is more a cf who can play out wide.

Would ideally love wermer and sancho

Ollie Derbyshire

If pogba stays then I think we need to find a way to get the below into the team;
Rashford
Martial
Pogba
Bruno
Fred
McTominay

I’d look at pushing Bruno over to the right but allow him to drift in when he wants. Fred would be able to cover I think.

Not ideal but we have to get the best out of what we have got and we need Rash, Martial, pogba & Bruno.

Martial
Rashford Bruno
Pogba. McT. Fred

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If pogba stays then I think we need to find a way to get the below into the team;
Rashford
Martial
Pogba
Bruno
Fred
McTominay

I’d look at pushing Bruno over to the right but allow him to drift in when he wants. Fred would be able to cover I think.

Not ideal but we have to get the best out of what we have got and we need Rash, Martial, pogba & Bruno.

Martial
Rashford Bruno
Pogba. McT. Fred
Why push Bruno right?

Have we learnt nothing?

Play a winger out wide keep Bruno (who is not a winger) in the middle where he can influence play.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Panic buy anyone that's young and English after we've bumped their price up a bunch.

luke511

Chiesa would be a great alternative, not that it matters because we're getting Sancho :cool: