What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

tenpoless

For as long as Sancho is a Dortmund player, it's him or nobody.
If Sancho wants the move, United are willing to pay, and the obstacle is Dortmund, then Sancho should hire Jim Solbakken as his agent and it's sorted :wenger:.

flappyjay

I thought it was very common knowledge and not even a debate that he was one of the best and not just a knock and run into space merchant but to be fair to the others they possibly haven’t seen much of him live?
You don't have to see him live to know. They have already put it in their heads that he is a kick and rush merchant, so they won't see the obvious.

Since his villa days I have always seen him as a good dribbler with appalling decision making. Good on him that he is improving on his major weakness.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You don't have to see him live to know. They have already put it in their heads that he is a kick and rush merchant, so they won't see the obvious.

Since his villa days I have always seen him as a good dribbler with appalling decision making. Good on him that he is improving on his major weakness.
I’m trying to give benefit of doubt but I did show the video of him doing much more than that and didn’t get a response beyond showing videos of him being dispossessed by two players ganging up on him and him not receiving a good pass?

Mr Smith

What do we think of Cengiz Under from Roma as an alternative on the RW? No reliable sources linking us to him yet but there has been some paper talk. Looks a really good player to me.

Mark Pawelek

What do we think of Cengiz Under from Roma as an alternative on the RW? No reliable sources linking us to him yet but there has been some paper talk. Looks a really good player to me.
Stats say yes. Left-footed, fast, with some skill, and puts in a good number of dribbles, shots-per-game, and key passes. Better than James.

Per 90 minutes.
3.4 - Dribble (Successful Dribble) = Taking on an opponent and successfully making it past them whilst retaining the ball
2.8 - Key Pass = The final pass leading to a shot at goal from a teammate
2.9 - Shot on target = An attempt to score which required intervention to stop it going in or resulted in a goal/shot which would go in without being diverted

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’d be very concerned if we went for him as he’s not a starter for Roma. It would be a huge gamble.

In terms of style a better version of him would be good. David Brooks would be a safer bet in my eyes. I know they differ somewhat but if we’re looking for a left footed winger with good stats for key passes etc he’d be an option.

So Under for me is not a bad winger but realistically he has a long way to go before being considered a starter for United by a in my eyes and if it’s a choice between him or nothing I’d take nothing and begrudgingly give the gametime to Greenwood/James and Mata depending on the opponents.

SambaBoy

Have to go all out to secure Sancho.

Someone like peak Nani would be perfect for our team right now. We struggle to break down deep defences, and Nani had great ability in beating players from a stop start. He was a good crosser of the ball and if forced inside on to his left foot, he had a good strike on him.

mav_9me

To answer the question, something. Can't keep going with this nonsense.

Champagne Football

Interesting article from Bleacher Report as to who would be the best Sancho alternative based on analytical data for that style of traditional winger who excels in goals, assists, cutbacks, pace etc. Traore of Wolves it's believed he's nothing like the style of winger Ole wants. Buendia is included despite being slightly more on the Juan Mata style of right winger. So if we were to use an analytical company database like Liverpool often do, the 2 supposedly best Sancho alternatives are Buendia and Ferran Torres.

Ferran Torres, 20, Valencia

Estimated cost: £40-50m

Emiliano Buendia, 23, Norwich City

Estimated cost: £20-25 million

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ta-to-find-a-cheaper-jadon-sancho-alternative

Last edited:

marktan

I liked Adama when he was at Middlesbrough, he had dribbling ability and pace then. Now he's even better, regularly beats people and is starting to add end product. His close dribbling isn't to be scoffed at either.

The only thing that worries me is that he's huge, the way he runs imo he's an injury waiting to happen.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I liked Adama when he was at Middlesbrough, he had dribbling ability and pace then. Now he's even better, regularly beats people and is starting to add end product. His close dribbling isn't to be scoffed at either.

The only thing that worries me is that he's huge, the way he runs imo he's an injury waiting to happen.
He’s absolutely one of the best dribblers in the league including close control. People (who don’t watch him) assume his close control isn’t up there but even today he set up the cross for the second goal with excellent standing close dribbling between players and a well weighted pass.

The first cross was also perfect.

He’s not the best passer but if we HAD to not have Sancho he’d be a good buy.

stubie

I’d rather Ole go for Adama (providing we make the CL at Wolves expense)

diarm

Bournemouth could play until August and still not fashion a proper effort on goal. They've had all of the ball in this second half and still Palace look 10x more likely to score the next goal.

croadyman

Yeah Traore has definitely come on since the Villa & Boro days,Sancho is still my first choice at RW but would be gutted if he joined the scousers or City.

Wish we could sign both but have other areas of the team that need addressing more urgently.

Wayne's World

I'd rather not think who can we get If we can't get Sancho to be honest....:nervous:

I just feel like he'd slot into our team like a glove while If we didn't get him we'd be pinning our hopes on someone who will probably take time to adjust

Mark Pawelek

Marcus Edwards? 5 goals and 4 assists in 17 starts (1602 minutes) for Vitoria de Guimaraes. British (ex-Spurs). 21 years old. Most dribbles per match in Liga NOS. Left-footer who plays from the right. £20m at most.

Last edited:

Class of 93

Marcus Richards? 5 goals and 4 assists in 17 starts (1602 minutes) for Vitoria de Guimaraes. British (ex-Spurs). 21 years old. Most dribbles per match in Liga NOS. Left-footer who plays from the right. £20m at most.
I think you mean Marcus Edwards? He's been excellent this year and is actually an interesting left-field option for the right.. (Sorry couldn't resist the pun)

I think what is clear is that we need a plan B for the right-wing if we don't get Sancho. I have to disagree with the Sancho or bust mentality, as James is just not ready to play there as a starter. He's great against bigger teams that attack, giving him space to run into but has to radically improve his decision making against smaller teams. Those are the teams we've consistently struggled with.

I also think we need to decide what are we playing stylistically which is unclear as is our gold-standard formation. Are we going to be sticking to a 4-2-3-1 or eventually moving to a 4-3-3. We can't risk have two inside forwards on the wings, with full-backs that struggle to overlap. It's a recipe for disaster. I would love to see that more from our coaches (particularly McKenna who has got rave reviews for his game sense during his coaching badges) to shape our positional, particularly transition play. That's what Klopp and Pep have really done with their teams, and I think we need to catch up in terms of coaching a clear system + philosophy.

This is an interesting window as there are some unique players that are available across different buckets:

High-risk, highest-reward: Dembele (will be on the cheap as Barca are broke, but question marks around fitness and sometimes attitude)
High-potential youngsters: Torres (last year of his contract - do a Juve/Bayern?), Chiesa (less convinced as he seems to lack some guile)
Prem-proven options (but lower ceiling in my opinion): Traore (I'm still a bit unsure though he's definitely improving quickly), Zaha (had a good understanding with AWB at Palace)
Cheaper Prem-proven options: Brooks (injury question marks) , Buendia (similar to Mata out right; an option if we're not playing a proper DM and using Fred there)
Left field: Edwards

joedirt87

Richarlison, Traore. Personal preference is Richarlison between the two.

joedirt87

Didn’t realise how close we we’re to signing him.

Not a RW though?

Thinking back to the games they played against United he was playing as a central forward wasn't he. Have not watch much of Everton this season. He was certainly capable of playing on either wing in the past.

Lynty

If Sancho doesn't work out, I'd like to see if we can unsettle Son. We'd get ripped off, but we're at a point where we need a ready made wide forward who's going to come in and take our front line to the next level.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thinking back to the games they played against United he was playing as a central forward wasn't he. Have not watch much of Everton this season. He was certainly capable of playing on either wing in the past.
I just wouldn’t see the point in signing him if he’s not a RW. Decent player though.
If Sancho doesn't work out, I'd like to see if we can unsettle Son. We'd get ripped off, but we're at a point where we need a ready made wide forward who's going to come in and take our front line to the next level.
Son is a LW. It would be like signing another Rashford.

Great player, wrong side.

croadyman

Traore for me,obviously Sancho is top choice but would be gutting if we went to Liverpool or City.

Lynty

I just wouldn’t see the point in signing him if he’s not a RW. Decent player though.

Son is a LW. It would be like signing another Rashford.

Great player, wrong side.
He's performed well on both wings, and although he has pace and can dribble, he's really more of a 'Raumdeuter' .

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He's performed well on both wings, and although he has pace and can dribble, he's really more of a 'Raumdeuter' .

It would be a waste of his natural tendencies to force him to RW.

I don’t really see how he is similar to Muller’s role in Bayern and in fact by the definition of Raumdeuter, Son would not satisfy it due to his pace and dribbling.

He’s much better qualified as an inside forward. What is funny is that Dele Alli is probably a closer approximation of the role you incorrectly attribute to Son.

Also if he were performing that role it’s not what we need.

marktan

If Sancho isn't an option my pick would be Saint-Maximin. Not a right winger, but imo easily the most naturally talented wide player potentially available after Sancho. Traore is a good pick and natural to the RW, but I wonder if he'll struggle against a lot of the teams that sit back against us. From what I've seen he tends to do more well against teams that attack you.

Lynty

It would be a waste of his natural tendencies to force him to RW.

I don’t really see how he is similar to Muller’s role in Bayern and in fact by the definition of Raumdeuter, Son would not satisfy it due to his pace and dribbling.

He’s much better qualified as an inside forward. What is funny is that Dele Alli is probably a closer approximation of the role you incorrectly attribute to Son.

Also if he were performing that role it’s not what we need.
I disagree. I think Raumdeuter might have been an exaggeration but I think Son's best attributes is his persistent off the ball movement, especially finding space in unpredictable areas in the final third, and linking with other forwards.The fact that he can dribble and does have pace are bonuses, but thats not what makes Son such a dangerous player.

I fail to see how he couldn't fit on our RW, or how he'd be worse than other names mentioned: Traore, Cheisa, Buendia etc.

The reality is, we are desperate for Sancho and there really isn't a valid alternative. Son would be the best 'make do' we could possibly ask for.

Edit: but it's all pointless discussion anyway, it wouldn't happen and we're definitely going to get Sancho :wenger:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I disagree. I think Raumdeuter might have been an exaggeration but I think Son's best attributes is his persistent off the ball movement, especially finding space in unpredictable areas in the final third, and linking with other forwards.The fact that he can dribble and does have pace are bonuses, but thats not what makes Son such a dangerous player.

I fail to see how he couldn't fit on our RW, or how he'd be worse than other names mentioned: Traore, Cheisa, Buendia etc.

The reality is, we are desperate for Sancho and there really isn't a valid alternative. Son would be the best 'make do' we could possibly ask for.

Edit: but it's all pointless discussion anyway, it wouldn't happen and we're definitely going to get Sancho :wenger:
Which is why I picked you up on it. You can be an excellent inside forward by getting in between the fullback and centre backs and finding space but that’s not the same as the hipster phrase for describing Muller.

I would agree he is excellent at getting into attacking scenarios in a good position, be it him playing a one two or drifting centrally but surely you’d accept the best examples of his play have consistently been from LW and not right?

I think the reason there has been a preference from some for those kind of signings is they natural to that position. Too many times we have seen good players played in their less than optimal positions and seen less than optimal performances for which they then get slated for.

I think Son is a terrific player who from a quality and also marketing standpoint would be excellent. However his best qualities are exhibiting from LW. Send him wide right and you lose a fair amount of his finishing threat.

Equally the likelihood of him moving from Spurs I feel is far less than the likelihood of other suggestions moving.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd just wait until Kubo struggles at Madrid in the first couple months and take him from there.

Lynty

Which is why I picked you up on it. You can be an excellent inside forward by getting in between the fullback and centre backs and finding space but that’s not the same as the hipster phrase for describing Muller.

I would agree he is excellent at getting into attacking scenarios in a good position, be it him playing a one two or drifting centrally but surely you’d accept the best examples of his play have consistently been from LW and not right?

I think the reason there has been a preference from some for those kind of signings is they natural to that position. Too many times we have seen good players played in their less than optimal positions and seen less than optimal performances for which they then get slated for.

I think Son is a terrific player who from a quality and also marketing standpoint would be excellent. However his best qualities are exhibiting from LW. Send him wide right and you lose a fair amount of his finishing threat.

Equally the likelihood of him moving from Spurs I feel is far less than the likelihood of other suggestions moving.
It's all hypothetical. But even if we lost some of his threat off the right (which I don't agree with) he'd still be a better player than anyone else we've been linked with.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If Sancho doesn't come, we should go for Adama Traore. At 24, he is just coming into his peak now. I don't think he would be ineffective against deep defences, because as we have seen, he can easily beat a man and is lightning quick off a stand still. His cross for Jimenez' goal v West Ham is an example of what he could bring to us.

Under Nuno's guidance, he looks to be putting his game together very well. He can be one of the best in the future if he carries on this trajectory.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's all hypothetical. But even if we lost some of his threat off the right (which I don't agree with) he'd still be a better player than anyone else we've been linked with.
I’d agree even losing some of his threat he’d be a better option than what’s currently available so you know what. I would take him but feel awkward about him playing on the right.

Congratulations you’ve changed my mind.

Smores

I think Traore fits the bill for exactly what we need. Pacy on the counter, comfortable keeping the width and taking on his man to the byline.

Would he be available for a price reflecting his ability though? Probably not.