What to do with Anthony Martial?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think if used in the correct way Martial could easily play on the right.

He needs to be given the license to not always track back, and with Valencia (who as unispiring as he is going forward is solid defensively) and Fred (all action hardworking midfielder) now also on that side of the pitch, we should be able to afford him that license against most sides.

It would be a bit like a lopsided 433, with Martial getting much closer to Lukaku on quick breaks than Sanchez would manage having to track his full backs.

It would end up looking a bit like the above

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Play 2 up front. Play martial as a striker.

Problem solved.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
On the right and as a substitute for Lukaku in some games. Definitely not a fan of putting Lukaku on the right like some suggested.

jesperjaap

He has been tried on the right side against Spurs and Newcastle last season and didn't do well. It debrive him of his best weapons, cutting inside and shooting the R2 shot with his right leg. He becomes underwhelming without this.

Best solution is for him to be a sub for Lukaku in strker position while Rashford become a sub for Sanchez on the left.
I would agree. Personally always thought both Martial and Rashford were strikers but over time I have changed my opinion on Rashford who is enjoyable to watch and talented but I just dont see as a striker anymore, actually more of an impact player.

I do think Martials future and best position is as a striker.

Sell him. He is crap on the right, Sanchez won't be moved to the right. Mourinho will never prefer him as a striker, even as a sub(Lukaku won't be subbed anyway).
But I half agree with this, Mourinho wont play him over Lukaku, or rest Lukaku. Still dont get everybodies idea about who to move over to the right, especially when people say Lukaku (laughable). I could see Sanchez there (sure he played on the right for Udinese)....but again I dont see Rashford as a started, or Martial on the left....so our best option at the moment surely is Lingard anyway? He was afte all our most improved player and actually one of our good players last year?

Personally think we should have sold Mata and signed a right winger but that is irrelevant now.

simplyared

Martial for me is too much hit and miss. Not a player you can rely on to deliver on a regular basis. It's a difficult situation because he needs a run of games to try and cement his place in the team. Can't see Mourinho giving him those games so I'm inclined to think the only option we have is to sell him in the next window.

RedorDead21

Not his biggest fan due to his overall work rate but he deserves a fresh start this season given a run of games. If he shows a lack of willing then fair enough his heart probably isn't in it but everyone else gets multiple chances so I want him to have one final good go at it as well. We need him more than he needs us for me this season. His quality when on his game is up there with the very best left wingers in the game. Inconsistent I know.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Its a podcast, hosted by a guy who wished United to lose games during LvG era and he doesnt see anything wrong in so called United fans wishing the same. You should go and check it out, maybe you will like it.
Get over it :lol:

Tarrou

I think it's a waste of time. Jose doesn't like him on the left so there's feck all chance he'll be happy with him on the right. I'd rather have Rashford there, or god forbid a right winger.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think it's a waste of time. Jose doesn't like him on the left so there's feck all chance he'll be happy with him on the right. I'd rather have Rashford there, or god forbid a right winger.
Rashford is terrible though, he doesn't deserve to start over Martial currently, whether it's on form or accomplishments (not that Martial has set the bar very high, mind you). Martial at least has had an impact from the left and he plays much better with Lukaku than Rashford. Hopefully Jose figures it out, or sell him in January and be done with it.

99withaflake

Whether he starts, comes off the bench, plays on the left, plays on the right, I couldn't give a feck quite frankly. When he gets his chance, I just want him to put in a great performance. Even if he doesn't play well, still work his bollocks off and put a shift in. Hope he responds positively to the media attention and shows that he wants to stay and fight for his place.

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
I appreciate that Mourinho likes his players to track back, but a manager HAS to show flexibility with a talent of Martial's level. He's not a nutjob like Balotelli or anything, and has outstanding ability. I think he would tear the league up under Klopp. The season Mane joined Liverpool, no one in their right mind would take him over Martial.

So, what do do with Martial? Compromise, create a system that gets the best out of him and Pogba. Tell Alexis to lose 5 kilos, and shut up and play on the right wing and stop losing the ball. He's done a pretty stand up job at RW previously at Barca. Yes, he won't be at his absolute best in that role, but in a good side, would still get 15-20 goals. Give Martial a run of games on the left, he'll match that tally easily. Lukaku is a beast and will get 25-30.

United, on paper have an attack to rival anyone's (starting 3). No one can convince me that Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku have less talent and ability to impact a game of football than Liverpool's/City's front 3. Mourinho just has to do better with them. Martial is more talented than Sterling, Sanchez on form is better than Sane of last season, and while Aguero is superior to Lukaku, Lukaku adds a different dimension to a team, and still gets a comparable number of goals. Yet City have this beautiful attack and United look like there's no system in attack. That's entirely, entirely down to the manager.

Patrick08

We need to be more innovative than just a simple 433 and play him and Rashford in a two up front as strikers alongside Lukaku. Give them the freedom to play on the shoulder of last defender without having to track back in games where we just need to go and score goals as opposition shows little signs of keeping the ball.

Our goal difference has to improve and be up there and therefore we should rather use them as strikers than wingers, specially when we are lacking natural right sided player, we should just go for it. I think that's the role which will get Martial and Rashford more dangerous as well.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't think you can have both your wide players cutting inside if you don't have quality full backs able to deliver a good cross from the outside. Young crosses well, but he has to cut back inside to do it. The whole point of a winger cutting back in on his stronger foot, aside from giving him the option to shoot, is to create space for the overlap. So with that in mind, at least one of our nominal wide players, has to play with their strongest foot on the outside, keep width, and predominantly go past defenders on the outside. The natural option here is Sanchez on the right, and Martial or Rashford cutting in from the left. I think we all believed this was why he was signed. The way we have used him, as a Martial or Rashford replacement, is utterly bizarre for me. His signing, to date, hasn't improved our first eleven at all. But it doesn't need to be that way.

I also always had a hankering to see Rashford have a good run of games on the right. He hasn't ever truly impressed there, but I think his combination of searing pace, and his ability to whip a ball in, are the natural attributes you need in a wide player. So much last season we suffered because our play was so narrow, and teams just stuffed up the middle making it impossible for us to breakthrough. Additionally, you really need at least one player like Martial or Rashford in the starting XI, because they are the two players we have that are truly able to beat a man. Beating players one on one is so important to disturbing the tactical equilibrium of the opposition as you can create overload situations. Pretty much all the top teams have those type of players. Even the pass masters of that great Barca team, had Messi who could take 2-3 players out of the game and destroy a team's defensive shape. Our top premier league rivals, City and Liverpool, both have multiple players who can do it consistently and effectively: De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Mane, Salah etc. I think the only reason Spurs aren't serious title challengers, is the absence of that maverick type talent. Because they have everything else.

For me, the best XI we can put out has to have Martial and Sanchez in it, and it has to give Pobga the license to break forwards and get goals from deep. I don't think Mata adds much of anything to our play coming in from the right. For a supposed counter-attacking team, you need someone explosive in that role. His lack of pace so often breaks down potential counter attacks as he can beat a man over 5 yards, but is hauled back in incredibly quickly. Not much good if you are sitting deep and need to exploit 60 yards of space ahead of you. For me, I'd be content seeing him in a deeper role, as that third central midfielder where his eye for a pass and reading of the game can be put to much better use.

If it was me, I would play the formation below. A unit that would be transformed as an attacking threat, with a high class left back. Drop a Marcelo or Sandro into that team and I think it looks as good as nearly any team in Europe. That's how important full backs are. Right now oppositions can easily funnel our "wingers" inside, because there's no serious overlap threat, and double up on them. Personally I think it's criminal this has gone unaddressed again. Instead spending the entire summer chasing a center back, when we already have 5 international class stoppers on the books. No one is saying that we couldn't upgrade in those areas, but priorities!

When I look at that lineup on paper, and assess the qualities of each player, it seems obvious to me that that front six is exceptional. IF played correctly. I don't think we've really seen us line up like that across the front 3 yet, for anything more than 25 mins at the end of a match. The obvious area of concern is the full back positions. If Dalot is as good as we hope, then I'm content with right back. But neither of our left back options are anywhere near good enough for a title challenging team.

Our squad is preposterously unbalanced again. We have, what? 8 central midfielders competing for 3 spots? Pogba, Fred, Matic, Andreas, Herrera, Fellaini, Lingard, and Mctominay. Lingard may be our back up option for the right, but again...far from ideal.

Meanwhile, our right wide options are Lingard - who isn't well suited there - Mata, who is the slowest player in the universe, and Sanchez, who the manager refuses to play there. TBH if we are lining up as we should (see above) then our striking options are thin too. Martial and Rashford competing for the left, and no real back up to Lukaku. If two of Rashford, Martial, lukaku and Sanchez are unavailable at the same time, then the attack looks feeble. Our priorities in terms of signings should have been (in order) LB - RW - CM - CF - RB - CB.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

Ditch wingers. We don't have any.

DDG
Valencia, Bailly, Lindelof, Young
Matic
Fred, Pogba,
Sanchez
Lukaku, Martial
Just my humble opinion anyway :)
We are a very poor passing side, there is literally zero movement, we'd go nowhere with that formation.

Canagel

If we can't find a place for a talent like Martial in this team then something is wrong. We have so many average attackers here. At Real Madrid or Bayern you have the likes Asensio, Vazquez, Coman warming the benches but they can afford that because of the quality of the players that are first choice. Martial couldn't complain if he was at those clubs and not getting a real chance.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We are a very poor passing side, there is literally zero movement, we'd go nowhere with that formation.
I don't totally agree with that, our back four aren't natural passers that's for sure but Matic and pogba are both capable passers of the ball. Fred is supposed to be, only time will tell. Sanchez used to be dangerous and I hope he can be again.

What would we lose by this formation? Two wingers that don't actually provide much. At least with this we would have more attacking intent without trying to create width without the right players.

Again, just my opinion obviously.

Kostov

It's very simple really, PLAY HIM. Find a way to put him in the starting 11, because it makes our attack much more unpredictable and better. We lack players who can take defenders on and create something out of nothing. Martial along with Pogba, Lukaku, Alexis(?) and sometimes Rashford are the players in our team capable of something like that. Martial is the best dribbler from that group, play him on the LW, Lukaku ST, and Alexis at RW, our attack will improve drastically.

redIndianDevil

I don't totally agree with that, our back four aren't natural passers that's for sure but Matic and pogba are both capable passers of the ball. Fred is supposed to be, only time will tell. Sanchez used to be dangerous and I hope he can be again.

What would we lose by this formation? Two wingers that don't actually provide much. At least with this we would have more attacking intent without trying to create width without the right players.

Again, just my opinion obviously.
If you are going to play through the middle, your passing and movement have to be top notch otherwise the opposition with set up a deep block and defend compactly. We aren't that good at passing or movement, we'd end up having fullbacks launch crosses inside with that formation.

It debrive him of his best weapons, cutting inside and shooting the R2 shot with his right leg. He becomes underwhelming without this.
Best weapon - your right, problem is that’s about his only weapon. Perhaps playing on the right will force him to develop him game. Otherwise he is in serious danger of being a one trick pony.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I remember making a note of Everton not playing with wingers because his aerial ability was limited, and to be fair what he's shown for us has been distinctly average.
For a guy his size, he should be absolutely dominant.
I think that it's more of a positioning and anticipation issue, when he is actually in a position to strike the ball, he is pretty good in the air.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If he does well enough he'll play. If he wants to leave he wants to leave and fair enough, but I don't think there has to be anymore drama to it than that. Aside from the hysteria on here and in the media I don't think there will be any drama either.

Maybe if he really puts in the work he can force his way into the team. I don't think he was a million miles off last year. A bit unlucky with the game time he lost with Sanchez arriving, but didn't really do enough to force Jose to find a spot in the team for him either.

Ranchero

What to do with Anthony Martial? Play him when he deserves to play on merit and has trained properly, perhaps?

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Play the fecker. He’s pretty decent.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't think you can have both your wide players cutting inside if you don't have quality full backs able to deliver a good cross from the outside. Young crosses well, but he has to cut back inside to do it. The whole point of a winger cutting back in on his stronger foot, aside from giving him the option to shoot, is to create space for the overlap. So with that in mind, at least one of our nominal wide players, has to play with their strongest foot on the outside, keep width, and predominantly go past defenders on the outside. The natural option here is Sanchez on the right, and Martial or Rashford cutting in from the left. I think we all believed this was why he was signed. The way we have used him, as a Martial or Rashford replacement, is utterly bizarre for me. His signing, to date, hasn't improved our first eleven at all. But it doesn't need to be that way.

I also always had a hankering to see Rashford have a good run of games on the right. He hasn't ever truly impressed there, but I think his combination of searing pace, and his ability to whip a ball in, are the natural attributes you need in a wide player. So much last season we suffered because our play was so narrow, and teams just stuffed up the middle making it impossible for us to breakthrough. Additionally, you really need at least one player like Martial or Rashford in the starting XI, because they are the two players we have that are truly able to beat a man. Beating players one on one is so important to disturbing the tactical equilibrium of the opposition as you can create overload situations. Pretty much all the top teams have those type of players. Even the pass masters of that great Barca team, had Messi who could take 2-3 players out of the game and destroy a team's defensive shape. Our top premier league rivals, City and Liverpool, both have multiple players who can do it consistently and effectively: De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Mane, Salah etc. I think the only reason Spurs aren't serious title challengers, is the absence of that maverick type talent. Because they have everything else.

For me, the best XI we can put out has to have Martial and Sanchez in it, and it has to give Pobga the license to break forwards and get goals from deep. I don't think Mata adds much of anything to our play coming in from the right. For a supposed counter-attacking team, you need someone explosive in that role. His lack of pace so often breaks down potential counter attacks as he can beat a man over 5 yards, but is hauled back in incredibly quickly. Not much good if you are sitting deep and need to exploit 60 yards of space ahead of you. For me, I'd be content seeing him in a deeper role, as that third central midfielder where his eye for a pass and reading of the game can be put to much better use.

If it was me, I would play the formation below. A unit that would be transformed as an attacking threat, with a high class left back. Drop a Marcelo or Sandro into that team and I think it looks as good as nearly any team in Europe. That's how important full backs are. Right now oppositions can easily funnel our "wingers" inside, because there's no serious overlap threat, and double up on them. Personally I think it's criminal this has gone unaddressed again. Instead spending the entire summer chasing a center back, when we already have 5 international class stoppers on the books. No one is saying that we couldn't upgrade in those areas, but priorities!

When I look at that lineup on paper, and assess the qualities of each player, it seems obvious to me that that front six is exceptional. IF played correctly. I don't think we've really seen us line up like that across the front 3 yet, for anything more than 25 mins at the end of a match. The obvious area of concern is the full back positions. If Dalot is as good as we hope, then I'm content with right back. But neither of our left back options are anywhere near good enough for a title challenging team.

Our squad is preposterously unbalanced again. We have, what? 8 central midfielders competing for 3 spots? Pogba, Fred, Matic, Andreas, Herrera, Fellaini, Lingard, and Mctominay. Lingard may be our back up option for the right, but again...far from ideal.

Meanwhile, our right wide options are Lingard - who isn't well suited there - Mata, who is the slowest player in the universe, and Sanchez, who the manager refuses to play there. TBH if we are lining up as we should (see above) then our striking options are thin too. Martial and Rashford competing for the left, and no real back up to Lukaku. If two of Rashford, Martial, lukaku and Sanchez are unavailable at the same time, then the attack looks feeble. Our priorities in terms of signings should have been (in order) LB - RW - CM - CF - RB - CB.
Great post, and agreed. I really believe Lukaku would shine even more if he played consistently with Martial.

ash_86

We have played with that front 3 away to Spurs(match info) . I think it was sanche'z first PL fixture for us and he was playing left with Martial occupying the right side. I wished it worked that day so we could've seen it more often. But i agree with you, we may need to revisit that formation again with Fred in the mix. Try it against a smaller opposition and work on it.

dutchred

Play Sanchez on the right and Martial on the left. AT Barca and Arsenal he played mostly on the right. Or use Martial like France used Mbappe in the WC. No defensive duties but attack the opposition defence with pace on the counter.

Andersons Dietician

Look at where Sanchez spent his time playing on the right wing: at Barcelona (underwhelming) and Napoli (not world class).

His best performances at Arsenal (where he became world class) were from the left or centre

Also what's all this about him stinking up the place? He's one of two risk takers on our team. People cry about our team being boring, this guy is the complete opposite.
You musn’t have watched him at “Napoli”(Udinese) because he in tandem with Di Natale were frightening and for most of that was operating off the right where he was up there as one of the best right sided players there was at the time.

EyeInTheSky

I think he needs to bstop being so predictable which is why he is not as effective as he was when he was an unknown quantity.

If he could run into the space or onto the ball rather than wanting ball to feet then turn and try and take someone on around the halfway one which has been shit down more often than not by opposition players.

If he could vary it up a bit he might get more joy. I would be very interested to see if he could play off the lastman:shoulder and break the lines. It could be the making of him

redIndianDevil

I think he needs to bstop being so predictable which is why he is not as effective as he was when he was an unknown quantity.

If he could run into the space or onto the ball rather than wanting ball to feet then turn and try and take someone on around the halfway one which has been shit down more often than not by opposition players.

If he could vary it up a bit he might get more joy. I would be very interested to see if he could play off the lastman:shoulder and break the lines. It could be the making of him
Our entire team is predictable, Sanchez looked pretty amazing at Arsenal and he has looked predictable in his time here. Since our passing and transition is slow, we can never have a player playing off the last man like Salah does at Liverpool, by the time the ball is moved from defence to attack, the opposition are already deep and compact.

If Shaw gets a continued run in the side, we can expect better from Sanchez or Martial I think, Young being unable to use his left foot has made our left side too predictable, Shaw stretching the play by making runs will assist our left attacker.

WensleyMU

Were talking about a player who prior to Sanchez, had 9 premier league goals. Without Sanchez, it was entirely possible he would have hit 15+ as a winger for us.

His goals per minute ratio was fantastic due to many of his goals being from the bench early on in the season and he worked to cement his place in the starting eleven. I like Mourinho but he got it badly wrong dropping Martial for Sanchez. You can understand him wanting to play Sanchez but Sanchez should have had to earn his place, as many are rightly claiming Martial has to. Especially after his first few performances which to be frank, were sketchy at best.

So where to play him? In my view the answer is from the left, in a supporting role for Lukaku with Sanchez playing from the right, form allowing. In this rile his defensive duties are reduced and he's well placed for a counter attack, which may well be the style Mourinho goes for this season. In respect to Sanchez, he's the seasoned "world class" player so he should be far more capable than Martial playing from the right. This however is rarely mentioned despite it being obvious...

Rashfords should back Martial up, push him for the position and keep Martial on his toes. When they completed for the position last season we saw both in good goalscoring form. The rivalry pushed both players. Lingard should push Sanchez, though a little unfair on Lingard as he's a far better player for us, I cannot see Mourinho giving up on Sanchez yet. That said, Lingard likely to force such a decision on him before to long, at least until we have a proper RW.

Sanchez is a problem for us, he currently brings few benefits. That's not to say he isn't a quality player but as United fans we've seen many quality players come to United and just not fit. It is of course still early in his time here so this could very well change, and I hope it does. An in form Sanchez is capable of playing anywhere across the front, more so if given the freedom to roam but what we have right now is a long way from such a player.

Litch

Lots of eggs in someone's basket that clearly has the ability but seems to choose when and where he wants to apply it. This isn't just a Utd thing, it's a France thing too. Every season we are waiting for him to do it, is a season lost in my book. Sell and move on for me, Sanchez may be frustrating but at least he comes off the pitch having tried everything to win the game.

Fosu-Mens

So where to play him? In my view the answer is from the left, in a supporting role for Lukaku with Sanchez playing from the right, form allowing. In this rile his defensive duties are reduced and he's well placed for a counter attack, which may well be the style Mourinho goes for this season. In respect to Sanchez, he's the seasoned "world class" player so he should be far more capable than Martial playing from the right. This however is rarely mentioned despite it being obvious...
Yes. Sanchez has played on the right for Barcelona and Udinese. And he is capable of cutting both ways, and actually has a decent left foot. And does have a good cross in him. Why we are playing Mata at RW (or playing him at all), is beyond me.