What will it take for Leicester to replace Arsenal as part of the 'Big 6'?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally would want them to win an FA cup soon like Arsenal do.

I know it doesnt link with the top 6 - but the likelihood of Leicester winning the title again is small (never say never); but I feel like they are a good enough team to go out and win a cup like that.

I dont know what's stopping them and why its Arsenal winning FA cups and appearing in FA finals every time I remember one.

Leicester always seem to have some quality players in their team and players that other teams are jealous of. I'd go from FA Cup winners putting some scaryness back in Leicester's club after the PL winning season whilst qualifying for the next season Europa. Maybe the season after that - make the final and gain confidence to make the step further the following.

city-puma

Leicester 2015 - 2020 Position - 1st, 12th, 9th, 9th, 5th.

Everton 2015 - 2020 Position - 11th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th.

In the past 5 seasons we've actually finished higher than Leicester 3 times compared to their 2. Granted they won the league and got an EL position in that time but it feels like everyone is forgetting about the gap between them winning the league and now where they didn't really do much of note.
Everton has an ambitious owner, no doubt about it. I think the doubt is whether the club has a right structure and whether Ancelotti is the right person to make a long term progress which is outpacing the processes that the other teams are making simultaneously. Everton are working to lower the average age of the team, but if you look at the major signings this season, they still went for the experienced for the midfield three who are either at or just past the peak.
Over last two decades, the role of Ancelloti in his jobs at different clubs has never been team building. I think most feel him a very experienced good head coach but probably outdated nowadays when new generation of managers are starting to take over the world football. Thus, it’s worth to seeing if they can eventually find a working formula to carry long term progress consistently.
In contact, Leicester locks a very good manager in Rodgers and they build a team with many promising youngsters blended with the experienced. And, they look able to evolve organically for many years to come. Maybe Everton is undergoing the similar idea, I dunno. But from outside, Everton has not been there, and more like a team with short term, limited success if doing well.

Zen86

I think there’s an expectancy for Leicester to eventually fall away as they lose some of the players who have been key to their success. Arsenal on the other hand will eventually improve.

Cloud7

I don't think there will ever come a point where anyone talks about Leicester in the same breath as Arsenal, at least not for a few decades anyway. Arsenal are historically one of the top clubs in the PL, and I don't mean distant history but last 20 years. They've had one of the most iconic teams in PL history, some of it's greatest players and one of it's greatest ever managers. They also have a massive global fanbase.

The 'big 6' don't just exist solely because of league finishes, but trophy count, global support etc. Arsenal will be there for a long time to come.

city-puma

I think there’s an expectancy for Leicester to eventually fall away as they lose some of the players who have been key to their success. Arsenal on the other hand will eventually improve.
Yeah, especially Vardy dependency. Vardy has dropped his level a lot but they still can’t find a replacement. However, they have developed a system which brings more goal contribution from the other positions. It works very well at the moment. It is shown by the number of wins this season. I feel they won’t be really worried about Vardy issue.

city-puma

I don't think there will ever come a point where anyone talks about Leicester in the same breath as Arsenal, at least not for a few decades anyway. Arsenal are historically one of the top clubs in the PL, and I don't mean distant history but last 20 years. They've had one of the most iconic teams in PL history, some of it's greatest players and one of it's greatest ever managers. They also have a massive global fanbase.

The 'big 6' don't just exist solely because of league finishes, but trophy count, global support etc. Arsenal will be there for a long time to come.
true. But I think it’s worth to adding that Leicester has an underestimated global support. Their title winning story has echoed around the world and brought in a huge potential of fan base. Even for those having strong loyalty to the other clubs, many of them will regard them the secondary team to support in their heart (they might not even realize it). Due to their ownership, they have huge fan base in Southeast Asia. People in neutral are nothing but wish they do well.
Once they can consistently finish in the top 6 and break into the top 4 several times in between, they will grow in status hugely. If they can win something in process, over twenty years, it would be a different situation.

Tapori

In the past 5 seasons we've actually finished higher than Leicester 3 times compared to their 2. Granted they won the league and got an EL position in that time but it feels like everyone is forgetting about the gap between them winning the league and now where they didn't really do much of note.
Yes, Everton are in with a shout

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Yeah but no one cares who finished 5th or 6th.

So for top 4 finishes

Number of top 4 finishes during 2010s
ClubTop 4 finishes
Manchester City10
Chelsea8
Manchester United7
Arsenal6
Liverpool5
Tottenham4
Leicester City1
Everton0
Southampton0
Newcastle0

I think thats correct
Spurs are on 5, or 6 if 09/10 counts as part of the 2010s.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
it's the nature of the beast that the premier league will evolve, Man C were not elite 20 years ago !! Villa, Leeds, Forest & Newcastle were BIG clubs not too long ago.
Leicester, Everton & possibly Southhampton can possibly force their way into that elite group but does that mean another club (Arsenal) have to drop out ? I don't know !!
Leicester have very ambitious owners but their fortune is based on duty free shops in Thailand & we all know that nobody is travelling very much these days.
Without major financial backing, no club will force their way into that elite group of six.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Leicester has the disadvantage of not being from London or the north west of England so will always be considered an “unfashionable” club.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester

I'll tell you what we did of note, was rebuild almost an entire title winning squad, into one that could compete at the top end again. Perhaps people will eventually stop acting like the title win was a freak and give the people at the top of the club the credit they deserve. Especially considering it's been done organically and not via a massive cash injection, the last time they put money in was in the championship.

I don't think most Leicester fans concern ourselves with these discussions, the aim is still long term and we're only part way through our development. To do what we're doing organically there are going to be ups and downs, but the aim is gradual growth and development. Next on the agenda is another trophy and the ground development to 42,000+.

I know replacing Vardy will be a huge thing, but half his goals must be penalties this season. Against saints he had an off day, but we still had enough. If we could get another winger who chips in more goals and a striker that chips in a decent amount, you can cover off what he's adding. As we don't really get many goals from the right winger.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
we'd have to relocate to either London or the North-West the national media won't stand for another area being part of the club, someone might have to move ...

Perception is controlled by them and most are too lazy to change the narrative on us, no matter what happens on the pitch.

Jake Humphrey put a tweet out before the Saints game saying both teams would be talked as title challengers if we were one of the big 6 in our league position and form, completely forgetting he was in a position to do just that when he fronts live coverage of the league for a major broadcaster ...

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Leicester have finished top 6 twice in 5 years. Hardly being harshly shunned from an exclusive club.

George the Cat

I think City and Liverpool are the big 2, clearly above the rest and injuries notwithstanding would be favourites to win even away from home against any other team in the league. Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester make up the next group of teams that are expected to push for the CL spots.
The big 2 are Man United and Liverpool. You are just talking about success on the pitch. We’ve remained the biggest club in the country despite no title for 8 years.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How things change.
Why on earth was the thread title Arsenal and not Tottenham for one thing.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Feel for Leicester. They’ve done more in the past 5 years than what spurs have. Should be spurs that are relegated :lol:

scottser

The table looks mad. With the exception of one club, Wolves, all the teams between 8 and 14 in the league are from London. I think the old notion of the top 6 clubs being consistent just doesn't hold water.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How things change.
Why on earth was the thread title Arsenal and not Tottenham for one thing.
We were still in the "Shift of Power in North London" era :lol:
Leicester made too many recruitment mistakes up front and in defense. They never managed to really refresh their squad. 52 to 34 points is quite the drop !

Blood Mage

Mad that they've gone down instead of Forest or Bournemouth. On paper they had too much quality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mad that they've gone down instead of Forest or Bournemouth. On paper they had too much quality.
Did they though? A well past best Vardy.
A constantly niggles Maddison.
Keeper situation since Schmeichel went was woeful.
Own goal Faies. Well plast best Evans.
Not masses of quality in that squad at all.

fps

Maddison and Tielemans had their heads turned by big moves that didn't happen, a lot of rot as well.

Abhinav

Its a reminder to every club that you can’t be complacent and think you are too good to go down. Every transfer window, every managerial appointment, every game requires 100% dedication. The league is really competitive and had Chelsea sacked Potter sooner, they may have been battling it out for relegation places.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How funny that we were talking about Leicester and Everton competing to get into Europe and we were actually talking about them competing not to be relegated. :lol: