What will it take for Leicester to replace Arsenal as part of the 'Big 6'?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More consistency and/or trophies. They also still have the feeling of a selling club a bit - a lot of their key players have moved on to bigger clubs in recent years.

I think they'll probably get the acknowledgement of a big side if they're still up there once Vardy winds down or retires.
To be fair, Arsenal have been a selling club for years. And Leicester don’t allow themselves to get bullied in the market.

I wouldn’t class them as a selling club anyway. A selling club to me develops players with a plan to flip them. They keep an eye on the ‘right time’ to sell. Leicester resist offers for their better players, unless they themselves ask to leave. That same logic applies to any club. United will sell Paul Pogba if he asked to leave and our valuation was matched, but they wouldn’t look to sell a key player just because he’d command a high fee.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
“Big 6” is mostly marketing nonsense.

If we’re being honest, Liverpool and City have been a clear “Big 2” ahead of everyone else since 2017-18.

city-puma

The big X has always been the top finishers in EPL and has nothing to do with cups.
if Leicester sticks with Rodgers, they will get better and better. I feel it’s more like the battle among Arsenal, Everton, and Spurs to the last spot in the big 6 for the next two years.

mu4c_20le

To be fair, Arsenal have been a selling club for years. And Leicester don’t allow themselves to get bullied in the market.
Being backed by a billionaire sugar daddy certainly helps.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well if that’s how they got there, that’s how they got there I guess. But they are there, and they can’t be bullied.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Yeah, the fact that they cheated FFP to get promoted is often ignored as it doesn’t fit the “romantic” Leicester narrative.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
To be "top six" a team needs to finish constantly in Europe positions & be in contention for cups. Leicester are not there yet but as other posters have said if they can hang on to Brendan Rodgers & have the backing of a Billionaire it's possible they could achieve it.
To be able to attract top players is the next standard & again Leicester are not there yet, they have made a living by buying potential & selling for good money. When Man Utd, Man C & Chelsea have come calling our players have opted to leave & that is not big six status.
We need to win something soon or we will lose the exceptional talent that is at the club.
Having said that it is a great time to be a Leicester fan, I was there when we went down to League one !!

Achilles McCool

I dunno about that. Arsenal are still above the likes of Everton and Leicester in the hierarchy, they would need to spend a fair while languishing in mid table before they lost their "big club" status
I’m not arguing that Arsenal are no longer considered a big club, only that the Big 6 should be renamed Big 8 due to other clubs moving into the group.
You still might consider Arsenal as being above Leicester and Everton, but you are mentioning them as part of the hierarchy

babablue

“Big 6” is mostly marketing nonsense.

If we’re being honest, Liverpool and City have been a clear “Big 2” ahead of everyone else since 2017-18.
There is a big 2 of United and to a slightly lesser extent Liverpool. What is being referred to as the big 6 is really just a "top 6". It's not a fixed list. For example, as good as Man City have been for the last decade, you never hear anyone calling them the biggest, instead they are referred to as best.

BarcaSpurs

I think City and Liverpool are the big 2, clearly above the rest and injuries notwithstanding would be favourites to win even away from home against any other team in the league. Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester make up the next group of teams that are expected to push for the CL spots.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think City and Liverpool are the big 2, clearly above the rest and injuries notwithstanding would be favourites to win even away from home against any other team in the league. Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Leicester make up the next group of teams that are expected to push for the CL spots.
Think you may be confusing biggest and best.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Yeah, the fact that they cheated FFP to get promoted is often ignored as it doesn’t fit the “romantic” Leicester narrative.
Do you know how many teams have failed FFP down there? You can probably count on one hand the teams who haven’t at some point.

FFP wasn’t even a thing when our owners came in. They invested in loads of (shit) players on 5 year contracts, the suddenly FFP gets implemented and we are stuck with loads of players on contracts that don’t end until after FFP started. How is that even fair?

Pagh Wraith

Don't think this is a particular interesting question. The only thing that matters is how good the team and the set-up is at this point in time. Leicester are ahead of Arsenal right now, structurally and on the pitch, but it's close and could easily change if Arsenal get a few decisions right such as a good transfer window. Leicester also have the better manager with great character.

Trequarista10

I’m not arguing that Arsenal are no longer considered a big club, only that the Big 6 should be renamed Big 8 due to other clubs moving into the group.
You still might consider Arsenal as being above Leicester and Everton, but you are mentioning them as part of the hierarchy
Temporarily, is my point. In a year or two they may fall behind Villa or Southampton. Anyway we're on the same page basically just a slight difference in how we'd word it. I'd say currently there's a big/top 5, and then a handful of sides in the chasing pack, with Arsenal having fallen out of the big /top 5 temporarily. I don't think a Big 8 makes much sense, as Leicester, Everton, Villa, Southampton all frequently sell the best players and will have peaks and troughs over a few seasons where they dip in and out of the top 6/8/10.

SirScholes

I don’t think a “big six” even exists, for me it comes down to prestige (or the pull the club has on players), stadium, fan base, trophies, European competition, in no particular order, but a big club requires all those things.
Currently Leicester’s league title still looks like the freak season that it was, why they haven’t pushed on to pick up some silverware is strange.
If I’m a upcoming young player I’m still going to head to arsenal over Leicester if given a choice.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you want to be classed as one of the current big clubs in the league you need to be consistently in the CL/EL places and competing in the other competitions. Leiecester aren't yet. Since they won the league their highest placed finish was last year, 5 years on from winning it. They're doing well again this season so it could be their chance to establish themselves but when they lose Vardy it's going to hit them hard if they don't line up an adequete replacement.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
While on the subject of Leicester could you imagine if they listened to the 'experts' and let Ranieri relegate them out of gratitude...

Stacks

At what point does this happen? Is it a question of revenue? Do they need to win a certain number if trophies or be better than them for a certain number of seasons more?

I think they have been a better team than them for a while, and of course, won the league 5 years ago so have been in and around the better sides for a while now. I think we opened the door of the ‘top 4’ and added Spurs to make a ‘top 6’ after not that much tbh, so just wondering if the group is sealed or can Leicester break in?
Thank you. People were criticising Bruno saying he don't show up vs the big 6 and I mentioned he scores and assists vs Leicester frequently since as far as I am aware they are more a direct rival than Arsenal nowadays. Leicester have earned it and Arsenal are mid table team.

Stacks

If you want to be classed as one of the current big clubs in the league you need to be consistently in the CL/EL places and competing in the other competitions. Leiecester aren't yet. Since they won the league their highest placed finish was last year, 5 years on from winning it. They're doing well again this season so it could be their chance to establish themselves but when they lose Vardy it's going to hit them hard if they don't line up an adequete replacement.
Arsenal are none of these.

Chairman Steve

I can see it being tough for them to replace their good, influential players like Schmeichel and Vardy. They still have the likes of Morgan, Fuchs and Albrighton around their squad too, who presumably have a decent influence seeing as those guys were involved in their league title win despite not playing as much anymore.

Vardy retiring from internationals has certainly helped to prolong his club career and they’ll have a massive task replacing him, and finding someone who’s as good as he is and keeping him there long term.

RoyH1

There's more to being a big club than silverware. Size of support, media presence, history. Why do you think we're considered one of the biggest clubs of Europe even though we have much less CL trophies than the likes of Bayern and Madrid?
Leicester might be better than Arsenal in results and it's a much, much better run club, but I think it would take decades for it to be thought to be the bigger club.

ShoePolish

They'll have it very difficult to replace Vardy, he's just so reliable for them, I expect them to pipe down slowly as he's getting on, but if Rodgers is still there, they will be fighting for EL places every season, bit like Everton.

Chairman Steve

Rodgers has a history of having his head easily turned by better opportunities too. I reckon if Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea offered him the manager role, he’d jump that Leicester ship so to speak.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I think that number will probably just keep getting bigger. It wasn't too long ago when it was the "big 4" of United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Since then City and Tottenham have been added. I could see it being the "big 8" with Leicester and Everton eventually being added in as well...
Nah, this season is pretty even but I think form the next one it's gonna TOP3 with Liverpool, City and hopefully United and the rest of the pack 4-8. Leicester leading the pack but I reckon the difference will be bigger than now.. Rodgers is a good manager so he's overachieving, Big task to replace Vardy there, so transfer window will be interesting.

Everton's big spending took them nowhere really, maybe a more firm TOP8 position, but they will fade away from TOP4 and really fight for 5-8 like every year really. Ancelotti is a decent manager but he's quite a dinosaur himself, they don't have much left in the tank to push for CL.

Chelsea is a bit of an Enigma you would think they have done so well in the transfer market but perhapseven for fatty Frank things settle and he will fight for the spot in the Champions league with Leicester.

Tottenham with the role model of dinosaur manager themselves will fight with Everton and perhaps Southampton to some extent for 6-8 spot with Arsenal being in the mix too next year. Mix for TOP6-8 making it TOP6-9. Spurs I bet won't hold onto Kane for much longer with Son possibly leaving too in a couple of years. Levy will wanna cash in and those players are just peaking. Add the usual Mourinho meltdown.

Arsenal I don't really see them going any stronger. They seem to be too greedy to invest any money and it's certainly needed for success these days. They really have just Auba who's gonna turn 32 this summer and is reliant on his team to create for him. Soton are doing remarkably well with a progressive manager like Hasenhuttl but need to invest, keep Ings injury free etc. I tip him also to be a candidate to replace Mourinho/Arteta or Ancelotti if Everton get crazy. Perhaps add Wolves to the mix as well who I think will continue fall since Nuno is a decent manager but too pragmatic to get any close to champions league spots.

TOP3 United, City, Liverpool (title challenge)
- - gap - -
4-5 Leicester, Chelsea (spot in the champions league)
- - gap - -
6-10 Everton, Arsenal, Wolves, Soton, Spurs
-
really some teams will do better than others but it can go either way for them
11 - WHU, Leeds
- classic midtable sides
The rest

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It only became a top 6 when Arsenal and United started consistently finishing outside of the top 4 so to answer the OP 'What will it take for Leicester to replace Arsenal as part of the ‘Big 6?' - consistently finish above them
Wrong. "Big six" phrase came into popularity before Fergie retired.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd say the top 6 traditional contenders over the last 5 seasons or so have been:

Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool
Manchester United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Leicester City

All the other clubs may have popped up with a good season every now and then but never consistently. Everton have the potential of forcing their way into this group with Arsenal the one who may drop out.

CM

I wouldn’t class them as a selling club anyway. A selling club to me develops players with a plan to flip them. They keep an eye on the ‘right time’ to sell. Leicester resist offers for their better players, unless they themselves ask to leave. That same logic applies to any club. United will sell Paul Pogba if he asked to leave and our valuation was matched, but they wouldn’t look to sell a key player just because he’d command a high fee.
Yeah, but Arsenal were undoubtedly a bigger club than Leicester in those days. They were in the Champions League every year for a long time, Leicester have only managed that the yesr they won the title.

Maybe a selling club isn't the correct phrase but they have consistently sold one of their best players for each of the last 5 years. I don't think that bodes particularly well for a side planning to mix it with the big boys.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd say the top 6 traditional contenders over the last 5 seasons or so have been:

Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool
Manchester United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Leicester City

All the other clubs may have popped up with a good season every now and then but never consistently. Everton have the potential of forcing their way into this group with Arsenal the one who may drop out.
Leicester 2015 - 2020 Position - 1st, 12th, 9th, 9th, 5th.

Everton 2015 - 2020 Position - 11th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th.

In the past 5 seasons we've actually finished higher than Leicester 3 times compared to their 2. Granted they won the league and got an EL position in that time but it feels like everyone is forgetting about the gap between them winning the league and now where they didn't really do much of note.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Leicester 2015 - 2020 Position - 1st, 12th, 9th, 9th, 5th.

Everton 2015 - 2020 Position - 11th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th.

In the past 5 seasons we've actually finished higher than Leicester 3 times compared to their 2. Granted they won the league and got an EL position in that time but it feels like everyone is forgetting about the gap between them winning the league and now where they didn't really do much of note.
You've not finished in the top 6, Leicester have, twice, one of which was winning the league. They're clearly a better team than Everton. You have the potential to rise up though in the next few seasons.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You've not finished in the top 6, Leicester have, twice, one of which was winning the league. They're clearly a better team than Everton. You have the potential to rise up though in the next few seasons.
But that's not what you said. You said top 6 traditional contenders over the past 5 seasons and included a team that have been a fair way off in 3 of those 5 in Leicester. I'm not saying Everton should be included in that rationale for top 6 contenders either, but I don't think you can include Leicester in that either. From last season to now, yes, but not over the past 5 seasons.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But that's not what you said. You said top 6 traditional contenders over the past 5 seasons and included a team that have been a fair way off in 3 of those 5 in Leicester. I'm not saying Everton should be included in that rationale for top 6 contenders either, but I don't think you can include Leicester in that either. From last season to now, yes, but not over the past 5 seasons.
I'd include a team that has finished in the top 6 twice, that's my personal opinion. You can disagree. Finishing in the top 6 once in 5 years is a purple patch of good form, finishing twice is a flicker of consistency. Likewise, i'd still not drop Arsenal out of the 'top 6' list if they finish outside this season. I'm sure others will disagree with that opinion but thats football.

Maybe putting them in there was a push though, im just looking at their average points total and they're 10 points behind Arsenal. So perhaps, redo the list without Leicester but having them as a special mention. ;)

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
" Nah, this season is pretty even but I think form the next one it's gonna TOP3 with Liverpool, City and hopefully United and the rest of the pack 4-8 "

You say "nah" to start your sentence and then agree with me. So I'm confused :lol: :lol: :lol:

youmeletsfly

Why not make it a top8? Spurs have been there and won jack shit for 10 years.

If you're referring to a group of teams as "top" you're either counting their trophies, performances or position in the table.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Based on this thread, the notion of Big 6 shouldn't be a thing. There is a big 5 and no big 6.