What's going on at Chelsea?

Nick7

Held onto Moyes and LVG for too long.
Not even a full year and two years? Did ye hold onto Conte too long seeing as you ended up in the same position as we did in LVG's second year?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yes but the club is probably worth 2bn. He could sell it which could be bad for the league considering there are plenty of Chinese billionaires that would snap up Chelsea. Not to mention, it's only time before Saudi Arabia decide to try football to clean their image.
No way ... not with a debt of £1.17 billion owed to Abramovich and stuck in an old stadium of 42k capacity.

Member 5225

Now they apparently are looking at Blanc, Grant and that Fulham manager :eek:

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s got too much money tied up in the club / invested in it to date to let it decline.

My bet is he’s grandstanding and trying to throw his weight around.

Chelsea are going no where.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not even a full year and two years? Did ye hold onto Conte too long seeing as you ended up in the same position as we did in LVG's second year?
If you sacked Moyes before the Bayern games who knows, Giggs may have recovered top 4 or even did a Di Matteo, unlikely but there was more chance it happening.

The main point however was the post of how we would be more threatening if we kept a manager long term, if we had the right man yes, but giving flops (AVB, Scolari) or short term managers (Jose, Carlo, Conte) a long term remit will damage us not help us.

Nick7

If you sacked Moyes before the Bayern games who knows, Giggs may have recovered top 4 or even did a Di Matteo, unlikely but there was more chance it happening.

The main point however was the post of how we would be more threatening if we kept a manager long term, if we had the right man yes, but giving flops (AVB, Scolari) or short term managers (Jose, Carlo, Conte) a long term remit will damage us not help us.
Fair enough.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Any of the oligarch/state backed clubs being in trouble, even if it's temporary, is great to see - especially if it's the plastics.

Toad

I can't imagine they will attract much interest from top players given the speculation surrounding the club at the moment.

Joe Cole Is Exhausted

Supports
Chelsea FC
Roman will be fine. Surely now is not the time to begin underestimating the power wielded by the richest people in the world.

As for the club...yikes. We are all over the place with the manager, with transfers, and generally with the allocation of decisionmaking authority throughout management. I yearn for the days when Roman would meddle in transfers; at least we knew what was happening then. This is just chaos, and all the while our competitors are strengthening. If we can hang onto our core and sign a couple top players this summer I think our fortunes could turn around quite dramatically, but there is a possibility that this gets ugly in a hurry.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
It's about time things went wrong for them. Since Abramovich bought them it feels like no matter what they did, no matter who they signed or sacked, they'd land on their feet and continue winning trophies.
That's so true.

But are they going to keep Conte? In the past he would've been sacked months ago.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Chelsea is the club I am finding most interesting this summer, actually all three London clubs got quite huge summers ahead.

I'm not gonna prophesice doom, but Chelsea definitely got some challenges this summer that they need to get right. Manager, some key players, owner to name a few. They are also coming off a season where they finished 5th, and with a recent transfer policy that signals the end of flexing any sort of financial muscle (for a few years now). I don't know what direction the club want to take.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
We're doomed....not! First to the Spurs fan that say we don't own the name and the stadium. Stamford Bridge is owned by the fans of Chelsea to always ensure that the Club has a home and if anything is to happen SB can't be sold or taken away.

Now on our new Stadium, 1 billion pound is a lot of money for 20k new seats. The first estimate was at 500million then it went up to a billion economical it makes no sense. And even with our small stadium in terms of revenue, we're 3rd in the league our commercial revenue is still growing.

Roman is now Israeli so he can come to the UK without needing a Visa he just can't work, i also assume that he can't invest?

The only problem with Chelsea is our footballing side with the uncertain nature of who is gonna be our manager, what players are coming in but this is Chelsea, we're one unorganized-organize football club.

Neo_Mufc

This isn't the decline of Chelsea F.C that some have been urging for.

It's been recently quoted that they are worth something in the region of £1.5 billion, so losing Abramovich doesn't put them into financial misery even if he does decide to take his seal-clapping hands else where.

They've not done well in the transfer market and with Hazard and Cortois seeking fresh pastures, the world cup is the perfect opportunity to move on.

Revaulx

Whenever Chelsea seem to be in disarray and chaos they somehow win the title. Jammy cnuts!
Yup. Like plastic bags in the sea, they are horribly but impressively resilient.

I remember as far back as their meltdown in the mid-70s, and they’ve always bounced back.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
...Now on our new Stadium, 1 billion pound is a lot of money for 20k new seats. The first estimate was at 500million then it went up to a billion economical it makes no sense. ...
So now the new stadium is not happening, the new mantra is that the club is better off without it?

A new stadium is not just about seating capacity - it can open a number of other new/better incomes streams.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
So now the new stadium is not happening, the new mantra is that the club is better off without it?

A new stadium is not just about seating capacity - it can open a number of other new/better incomes streams.
Again, most persons at the club wasn't really into it, The CPO barely even got the approval. At 500million thats a good deal at 1 billion no.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
fecking hell... if they appoint Avram Grant I'll fecking laugh my bollocks off.

Also, think Roman is kind of stuck to Chelsea. I don't think he'll sell the club and write off over £1.1 billion. It's obscene amount of money, even for a multi-billionaire. I also don't think anyone would buy Chelsea for anywhere near market value and take that debt on. It just doesn't represent value.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Again, most persons at the club wasn't really into it, The CPO barely even got the approval. At 500million thats a good deal at 1 billion no.
That's short-term thinking, because a new stadium would bring increased income each and every year for the next 100 years.

Your current stadium is about to drop to 10th place in England in terms of club-football seating capacity ... then to 11th when Everton build their new stadium

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
The proposed new stadium is many years down the road and may now not ever get built. Even if construction starts, they face the prospect of playing their home games at Wembley (or wherever) for 3 long seasons.

Even worse, the club don't own the current stadium, and even the name "Chelsea Football Club Ltd" is only licensed to them.

On top of this they owe well over £1 billion to Abramovich, their sugar-daddy funding is drying up and they may well lose some of their best players this summer .. players who don't relish playing in the Europa league.

All in all, the club's in pretty dire straits.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe daddy has a new girl. I get the feeling that Roman has been meh about Chelsea the last couple of years.

Feels like a bit of cross-roads for them now. The Conte business and the whole managerial circus is damaging their next season and summer targets.

Hazard is the key (hazard = indication of chelsea's ambitions) and currently there is no one at club really stamping his foot down and saying with any conviction that Eden stays.

They are in danger of losing their status as desired destination. One could argue that even Arsenal is more preferable since they seem to have clearer idea of how things will go under Emery.

They should sack Conte and move on.

Last edited:

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Gutted that we aren't going ahead with the new stadium plan but it definitely is not the end of the world nor will it make much of a difference over the next few years.

If Abramovich sells we will be brought out by another investor who will no doubt see us a great project, and if there buying Chelsea I'm going to take a hunch and say they will most likely be very very rich. We will not go broke or run out of money and the club have seen to a change in our model over the last few years.

The concern "as always" is not whats happening around us but who our manager will be for next season, Sarri is still who I would presume most Chelsea fans want. It could also be Jokanovic or Blanc and to be honest I don't know how I feel about either.

Another huge positive recently is Hazard looks set to be staying now Zidane is gone.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Im going to say the usual is going on at Chelsea, it's manager sacking time.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
From my perspective; here are the reasons to why Chelsea are in the state they are in at the moment:

1: Abrahamovich on its own can no longer provide the financial resources to compete (transfer/wages wise) with the likes of United, City, PSG, Real and Barcelona. (1)

2: The board at the club (Most of all Eugene Tenenbaum and especially Marina Granovskaia) (1) (2) have no clue when it comes to doing transfers in a way that actually helps the club rather than undermine it, I mean all one has to do is look at their transfer dealings over the last few years to see what I mean (3)...

3: Despite their huge investments in their academy and in purchasing potential youth prospects, the youth development system has been utterly terrible at developing first team players for Chelsea (4).

Now we all know the reasons why that is the case (the endless number of short term loans they go though in many cases and most of all a reluctance of managers to play them when their jobs are on the line every single game), but what makes things even worse is they have found a way to sucessfully devlop said prospects into first team players in the form of long-term loans to clubs that can help develop those players (Courtois and Christensen being those who benefitted from it).

The thing is though, they need to adopt this stratagy a hell of a lot more as well as lobby for the establishment of a B Team in the Football League, because those 2 things are the only way they can increase the numbers of prospects becoming first team players.

4: The high turnover of managers (as well as the lack of thought into appointing them and lack of powers granted to them over transfers) undermines any attempts by the club to establish a long-term plan for continued success at the club, likewise it also undermines any attempts to bring youth prospects into the first team, gives players far too much power over the running of said team, and enables the players to get away with poor performces in certain games and certain seasons (knowing the manager and not them will be forced out of the club).

Long story short to address Chesea's issues, Abrahamovich needs to sack the board/management team, appoint a new board/management team that knows what they are doing, seek new investors for the club (starting with Usmanov), revamp the youth system (most of all establishing a standard policy of sending out youth prospects on loan to clubs that will aid their development as well as lobby the FA and Football League into allowing them to establish a B Team in the latter) and make future appointments for Chelsea manager with the long-term in mind.

Notes

(1) It is these 2 reasons more than anything else that caused the demise of both Jose's 2nd reign at Chelsea as well as Conte's. Likewise it also why the squad is lacking in quality compared to previous Chelsea teams under Abrahamovich as well as its lack of depth.

(2) The fact Roman Abrahamovich has stuck by her despite failure after failure after failure makes me wonder what is motivating him to do so, so much so that I would not be surprised if he was actually sleeping with her...

(3) Losing golden oppertunities to strengthen on what were title winning sides in both 2015-2016 and 2017-2018 , wasting money on dud players just to save a few pounds and pence season after season (Bakayoko being a very good example, especially when Fabinho ended up going for the same price the following season), selling potential talents like KDB, Salah and Lukaku (and many more), allowing Conte to sack Diego Costa, losing the ruthless edge (like pinching Ashley Cole from a rival) that they had in the past (I mean for FFS, why have they had yet to raid the Tottenham squad of their best players when even Bakayoko is on a higher wage than any of them, likewise they should have got both Sanchez and PEA when they had the chance as well), selling players that still has something left to offer (Robben, Mata and Matic being the main examples of this) and wasting time going after targets that were simply not fit enough to wear their shirts.

(4) Only 4 players that have taken part in that youth system (Moses, Courtois, Christensen and Hazard) have sucessfully been transfered to the first team. That is despite producing talents such as KDB, Salah, Lukaku

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
(4) Only 3 players that have taken part in that youth system (Moses, Courtois and Christensen) have sucessfully been transfered to the first team. That is despite producing talents such as KDB, Salah, Lukaku.
Of the players you mention, only 1 was ever part of our youth system (Christensen). All the others were multi million pound signings who had played many games for other clubs.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Of the players you mention, only 1 was ever part of our youth system (Christensen). All the others were multi million pound signings who had played many games for other clubs.
I was aware that only Christensen was the only player to actually take part in the Chelsea academy, that is why I mentioned "Youth System" (i.e. the entire setup of developing youth prospects into senior players, not just the Academy itself) and not the "Academy" (and thus excluding young prospects from other club's academies) when it comes to this area

Likewise I have just realised that I might as well include Hazard on that list...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was aware that only Christensen was the only player to actually take part in the Chelsea academy, that is why I mentioned "Youth System" (i.e. the entire setup of developing youth prospects into senior players, not just the Academy itself) and not the "Academy" (and thus excluding young prospects from other club's academies) when it comes to this area

Likewise I have just realised that I might as well include Hazard on that list...
If the player is signed for millions of £s when they are in their 20s, they aint part of the youth system.

Mint

He’s very cosy with Putin.
Proof? Didn't he flee Russia because he was in trouble?
The British government should grow up. Do they really want to scare away Abramovich, while he's putting money into the economy?

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
United under Josè and Arsenal under Emery duke it out for the title and the cups... :drool:
If they could not win the title (over Leicester City) when United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool were all suffering from a whole load of difficulties, then don't expect them to win the title so long as the owners/board either stop bleeding the club to death or go altogether.

I mean its not like Emery has a great record from a Domestic League/Champions League perspective....

Even worse, the club don't own the current stadium, and even the name "Chelsea Football Club Ltd" is only licensed to them.
Correction, they own the leasehold as a whole and every part of the stadium apart from the Turnstiles and the Pitch. Likewise the only reason they don't on those parts of the stadium (or the name itself) is to prevent a property developer from buying the club, selling Stamford Bridge to the highest bidder (for Billions these days) and result in the club becoming homeless at their expence.

In fact during the 80s, these almost happened (although it mere millions at stake in those days) and thus once that period was over there was a lot of incentives (in the days before billionaires owned football clubs) to prevent that from happening ever again. Hence why Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO) was established to take control of the pitch, turnstiles and name, thus preventing the same siutation from happening again no matter who owned the club.

On top of this they owe well over £1 billion to Abramovich, their sugar-daddy funding is drying up and they may well lose some of their best players this summer .. players who don't relish playing in the Europa league.
When it comes to selling the club, it makes little difference. Either the new owner pays off the debt and pays a low purchasing price or Roman writes off the debt and sells the club for £1-1.5 billion or so (1). Either way Roman would either get the money he has invested (in CFC) back or even gain a small profit from selling Chelsea (compared to the money he has put in).

Notes

(1) Simply because he is not going to get many takers for a club that is demanding both a high selling price and a high debt to take on.

All in all, the club's in pretty dire straits.
Chelsea are facing a period of potential decline without a doubt. But if you want a club in dire straits, I can think of plenty that are in a worse position ranging from Arsenal to York City...

If the player is signed for millions of £s when they are in their 20s, they aint part of the youth system.
Well it does beg the question then about defining players who are youth prospects and players who are the finished article. Because in my eyes there is a big difference between the two (even if they were bought in) whereas the difference between youth prospects bought in and players directly from the academy is not as great from the Chelsea perspective at least (especially with how they are collectivly treated compared to players who are clearly ready to play for the senior team).

There are various sources which show how close he it to Putin in various ways. However as recent Russian history has shown it is no guarantee of long-term protection from your rivals or for that matter the Kremlin themsevles. So him buying Chelsea FC in the first place was for the most part a way of protecting himself from if Putin (or a future Russian leader) decides to turn on him like he has done to many a Oligarch in the past.

The British government should grow up. Do they really want to scare away Abramovich, while he's putting money into the economy?
Agreed, likewise even if the Oligarch dared to critcise Putin over his foreign policy actions. They will end up being killed or exiled in the process rather than actually influece his line of thinking. Which says a lot about the way Russia has been run under Putin.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
"Growing up" is cosying up to gangsters because they are rich? That's a new definition of adulthood for sure.

The money he puts into the economy is a trifling compared to the economy's overall size ... so I'm sure we'll limp on by without him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Bertrand should count.

Mint

"Growing up" is cosying up to gangsters because they are rich? That's a new definition of adulthood for sure.

The money he puts into the economy is a trifling compared to the economy's overall size ... so I'm sure we'll limp on by without him.
They didn't care about his dirty money before, so why now?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
They didn't care about his dirty money before, so why now?
Annexation of the Crimea, invasion of eastern Ukraine, assassination of opposition politicians and critical journalists, shooting down a civilian airliner, use of nerve agents on the streets of Britain ... you know, little things that.