What's happened to Antonio Valencia?

reddaz71

5+ years past it, if you see a wounded/struggling animal by the side of the road what do you do....

hobbers

Based on the fact he's not had a chance under Ole and his attacking football. His game against Newcastle was a difficult one and it showed him so reluctant to run that I've never seen before. Give him a couple more chances and if its the same, we can move on.
The Newcastle game was the worst I've ever seen him play. He deserves a few more chances at least as he was coming back after some time and has been well and truly Mourinhoe'd (lost all will to attack). It it's the same after a few games, we can let him go.
He's been reluctant/incapable of running for years. Newcastle just made it all the more obvious because we're no longer under Jose "6 at the back away from home and don't ever overlap" Mourinho.

He doesn't deserve more chances because Young is clearly 3x the player now and Dalot deserves chances to develop. What reason other than misplaced sentiment is there to damage our top four chances for a 33 year old who is miles away from good enough?

Last edited:

antsmithmk

Hates women.
People who're saying he's been gash for 5 years when he was one of the best right backs in the world a couple of years ago.
I disagree. I don't think he really hasn't been anywhere near that standard. He's never been one of the best right backs in the world, and certainly not in the last 5 years. His crossing has never been good enough.

Bird Nerd

I welcome this move. And others like it in order to move out the dead weight. He has not been good enough the last couple of years and needs to move on. Why keep someone because of how they played in the past without holding them accountable for their declining play currently? Seems like bad business to do that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The strange thing is that in the second half of the FA Cup final last season, when it was obvious we needed some inspiration, Valencia actually rolled back the clock for a while and became the player he was years ago. He spent about 20 minutes absolutely dominating that side of the field, ripping past the Chelsea winger and fullbacks and really driving forward down that side. It was a reminder of what he was once able to do, something he otherwise hasn't done in four years or so. It was great to see, but also a bit annoying how long it had been since we'd last seen it.

I think I'll try to remember that as his last actions as a Man Utd player, as it was a much more fitting memory than the exceedingly poor form he's shown in his few opportunities this season.

Beagle

33 isn't bad, a few legs last longer but most don't make it that far at top level.

Regulars of the transfer forum please note.
Maybe one of his legs still got what it takes. I'd bet it's the left peg since it's been seldom used as opposed to the right one which was frequently misused.

Marcus

Has he had a decent run under Ole yet? Probably end of the line at the end of the season but not midway surely, unless TFN or Axel get recalled .

el3mel

This season ? He has been crap the entire last season. His legs have been gone. He doesn't even run anymore and the problem is without his pace he has always been technically limited player, so he got exposed without it.

reddevil80

If it is true, then so be it. He has been a good ambassador for the club as a player and a role model. His days have been numbered for a little while and it was definitely not his fault LVG and JM had him playing so defensively. Surely I'm not the only one grateful for his service over the years.

RedDevil@84

I hope it is true.
Can we also tell the same to Jones please?

Has been a good contributor in last many years. Wish him well

KaushikR

He is not a legend, but has been an excellent professional. Never made a fuss either about his injury or about the new position he was forced to play in. I respect him for that. Also read somewhere that he sacked his agent who was a thorne in the contract negotiations with the club. After CR7 left, he and Nani filled the gaps as best as they could.

Good luck to him in whatever he does from now and Thank you for your service

RedCurry

He had issues with his knees in previous seasons. Unfortunately that often means loss of mobility, hence loss of fitness.

BlueHaze

Remember when he broke his leg against Rangers and the Caf was crying over it? It's because he was that important for us back then. His first season was incredibly impressing. His crosses were at the moment probably the best in the world and he had no problem taking on anyone from any team, beating them and then whip in a cross that Rooney would finish. He never really regained the same form after that leg break which is understandable but he was also in the later years converted to RB.

I will never say anything bad about him because he is the prime representation of what a true professional is. I'll also never forget the impact he had his first year. Everyone was fuming we had replaced CR7 with an unknown player from Wigan but he shut us all up. It's truly a shame he broke his leg. Who knows what he could have become if that never happened?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I respect Valencia. Never really rated him apart from that one season, but I respect him for keeping his head down and getting on with everything (so much so I don't have a clue about his personality :lol:). I feel like in another life he could've been an incredible fullback going forward.

billybee99

Agreed but that's a different question. We need to keep some of our fullbacks around to make sure we have adequate cover, but that doesn't mean that Valencia and Young have been anything other than poor for us for some time now. At RB we really only have the hope that Dalot will come good, the others are almost just there to fill a shirt now. Darmian seems like he's off and Valencia and Young are well past it.
That's not a different question. You're just changing your answer. You said he wasn't good enough and should go. Anyone that knows anything about football would see that he should be certainly upgraded upon but he can still provide cover at 4 positions and he is a leader on and off the pitch and doesn't complain when he doesn't play. That is a valuable player to have on the bench and we should keep him around as backup.

ManRed

Based on the fact he's not had a chance under Ole and his attacking football. His game against Newcastle was a difficult one and it showed him so reluctant to run that I've never seen before. Give him a couple more chances and if its the same, we can move on.
Ole does see him everyday in training as well. If the boss thinks he is past it, it would be not so wise to still give him chances.

Ekeke

Young can still be relied upon to put in good performances pretty much every week though? I still think we should be looking to upgrade on him obviously, but it's unfair to compare the two. Valencia has been awful and on the wain for years.
He's out of position defensively a lot. Where plenty of our conceded goals come from

billybee99

It is a disgrace the way some posters talk about Valencia some even calling him "garbage" and other insulting words. He gave us 10 years of his life (and a broken leg along the way). He got old. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens to everyone. He was a very good Premier League player and a physical specimen. He had one amazing season where he was arguably the best player in the Premier League that year - he was an assist machine. When he wasn't cutting it as a winger, he reinvented himself as a RB and he had a couple of very good seasons there (surprisingly, for a former winger, he was better defensively than going forward) and gave us another option at RB when Darmian didn't pan out. And now he is 33 and his career has reached it's natural conclusion and we should be thankful and wish him the best.

Irrational.

I loved him at his prime, but sadly he's fallen off a cliff form-wise. Uncle Time has caught up to him :(

He was great as a flying winger, I wonder how he would've turned out if not for that horrific injury against Rangers. Feck Hutton.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What's happened? He's 33 years old and he was always a player where his main attributes were mainly physical attributes. Strength, pace, stamina, etc. Nothing has happened that we shouldn't have expected to happen. In Mourinho's first season he had an excellent season, but we all knew he couldn't be a starter for more then one more year, if that. No need for anyone to go into anything more, that's all there is to it. He's old and declined physically.

Jeffthered

Turns up pre-season overweight and unfit. Hasn't managed to get himself fit (how can you not get fit at a Pro football club??). Mourinho sees this, and then hammers him.

The end really.

A shame, he was superb for a number of seasons. He is 33, and should be playing some very good football at Full Back. Not necessarily charging forward.. but certainly a good, experienced defensive player.

I'm a little disappointed in him as it goes, but maybe it's for the best.

Good to see Ole going through the squad and making decisions.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He got a chronic injury and gradually stopped running. Happens to lots of players at the end of their careers. He was great a few years ago but he started missing games out of nowhere from a dodgy knee, and it got worse over time.

dove

He has been shite for years and this season it looks like he can't even run anymore.

SinNombre

I disagree. I don't think he really hasn't been anywhere near that standard. He's never been one of the best right backs in the world, and certainly not in the last 5 years. His crossing has never been good enough.
He has been one of the key reasons for our failures in the past 5 years. Never anywhere near MUQ as a right back and one who started every game.

Good guy but should never have been given the 7 or the captaincy.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This. It's hardly a shock he hasn't been playing this season given the writing was on the wall last year and this year he had to compete with both a Young and Dalot (given Shaw has locked down the LB position)

A better question than what's happened to him is how will he be remembered? He was essentially Ronaldo's replacement and an assist machine for Rooney in the 09/10 season, got a bad injury the season later and has been a RB ever since (bar a few fleeting stars back as a winger)
One of the great Valencia fallacies.

5 direct assists to Rooney that season.

The same as Nani, who did it in less games, on his weak side.

stepic

He’s not been good for a long, long time. Not sure why people are wondering what happened. The decline has been ongoing for some time.

Halftrack

What's with all the revisionism? The whole "he wasn't the same after the ankle injury", when his best season for us came after it, in 11/12. He was pretty decent in 12/13 as well, but like most of the team, was pretty shite under Moyes. Had a pretty good season under LvG, then had more ankle problems, before coming back and being good in Mourinho's first season.

Saying "he's been shite for years" is incredibly harsh when it's really only in the last season-and-a-half his form has taken a nosedive.

Snafu17

Image calling Valencia a technically limited player. He has one of the most consistent first touches at the club. He lacks any sort of flair and is completely unimaginative sure, but whoever labels him technically poor is just blind.

AKDevil

Just read that he's been told he's free to leave this window. So what's happened to him this season? He's gone from captain and one of the first names on the team sheet to no where to be seen.
He’s poor. Has been basic at best for a very long time. Being got rid of not before time.

snk123

That's really not many people in this thread.
Look around again - many people rewriting history just because they have a memory of a gold fish.

5+ years past it, if you see a wounded/struggling animal by the side of the road what do you do....
Wow.

hobbers

Look around again - many people rewriting history just because they have a memory of a gold fish..
You're the one who said he was one of the best right backs in the world....

I mean he was probably in the top 10 right backs in the league for a season or two... so there's that.

red4ever 79

Guys. He was a good player for us. Not a great player but a good player. He has been handsomely paid over the years, travelled the world, led a life most of us can only dream of. However it is clear he is done at the top level. Thank you Antonio, all the best now move on. That's life.

That's not a different question. You're just changing your answer. You said he wasn't good enough and should go. Anyone that knows anything about football would see that he should be certainly upgraded upon but he can still provide cover at 4 positions and he is a leader on and off the pitch and doesn't complain when he doesn't play. That is a valuable player to have on the bench and we should keep him around as backup.
He's not good enough and he should go, but as we have absolutely zero cover at right back, he stays. It's a bad situation for us to be in.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He just got old. He was captain because he was a long serving player who always conducted himself well but we've had previous captains who were seen as much more indispensable to our side than him.

0le

Its a situation similar to Neville with the exception that Tony perhaps feels he can still offer something on the pitch.