What's it like being a modmin on Redcafe?

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Just reading another meltdown from the mods on RAWK and I got to wondering how doing the same job on the caf compares. They are always complaining about how they don't get paid for their time, how it's a thankless task, and that they suffer regular abuse from posters on there. A cynic might say that they bring it upon themselves, with their heavy handed approach and regular use of the ban hammer and thread locks, but is it the same story on here?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I can't understand why they'd moan about not being paid, it's not as if anyone forces you to do it. That's a silly line to take. If they had a newbie system they'd see the benefits of getting people used to the boards before giving them free rein, and scouting is a good preparation for modding (it was for me, anyway).

It's a commitment and you have to be prepared to spend the time reading the threads, but it's enjoyable, too. i don't think it's a thankless task, because the vast majority of decent posters know that we need to maintain the quality of discussion by having rules and enforcing them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is a thankless task but RAWK used to be are a right bunch of cnuts so I'd guess they bring most of it on themselves if they haven't altered their modmining behavior.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I was mod on a hiphop forum years ago. It wasn't huge, but it had 6k members and was very active. In the mod forum, we had a few who were really quite negative as people, and they were always itching to escalate situations and ban people. There were more of us who were laid back and less absolutist, and we'd generally 'win' the debates about what to do with troublesome posters.

However, one of the worst mods for the ban hammer eventually bought the site from the owner and proceeded to fill the mod spots with like-minded individuals. People were banned for personal reasons, complaints shot up, the modding did indeed become a pain in the arse. In the end, the forum went to shit and the great posters all left to form their own site.

I think we create our own reality and the guys who go looking for trouble will invariably find it. This is what I think RAWK is like and just wanted to know if it was different here.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
My favourite part is when people respond to PM's with their real names for some reason.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just reading another meltdown from the mods on RAWK and I got to wondering how doing the same job on the caf compares. They are always complaining about how they don't get paid for their time, how it's a thankless task, and that they suffer regular abuse from posters on there. A cynic might say that they bring it upon themselves, with their heavy handed approach and regular use of the ban hammer and thread locks, but is it the same story on here?
There's a reason the CAF has outlasted the likes of Koptalk, YAWN, and now RAWK. The modding on here has for the most part always been more balanced.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
My favourite part is when people respond to PM's with their real names for some reason.
@Penna :D

how they don't get paid for their time
Since the dawn of the internet, modding forums has been voluntary.

how it's a thankless task
I get thanked a lot (see my profile for the visible stuff). I never feel like my work is unappreciated on here and if anyone needs help with stuff it is my pleasure. Appreciation for what I've done is nice but I don't do it just to get plaudits. If that is what they're looking for, then perhaps they should step down if it isn't making them happy anymore and have new blood in that relish the job.

and that they suffer regular abuse from posters on there.
That is likely because of this:

their heavy handed approach and regular use of the ban hammer and thread locks
I can say that has never been the case. I get slight abuse but that has nothing to do with modding. If they're a bit more lenient and bring back match threads (I remember when they stopped allowing match threads just because of members moaning about Rafa) and allow threads discussing their players again, there'd probably be less of an 'us vs them' atmosphere on there. Up to them how they mod though, they're still a hugely successful website.

Spoony

The People's President
I'd ban everyone including myself. That said, that line of approach hasn't been very successful in the past.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I like how the mods are keeping up the pretense of not getting paid.

The money is the only thing I miss.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
From modding other forums, as others have said it is only really as hard as you make it. If you are reasonable and open minded, it is unlikely that you will have to many complaints. Its only really heavy handed mods that are generally disliked and then bring more conflict upon themselves.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Probably much easier than it would be on the official forum. The last time I was on there every thread title was 'Content to be Approved by the Moderator'.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Probably much easier than it would be on the official forum. The last time I was on there every thread title was 'Content to be Approved by the Moderator'.
they have had to suspend the report button over there people where just logging on and reporting every post, its a real shame what happened to that forum it use to be quite a nice community but it has slowly died, which is why i signed up for here.

Boycott

The mods here are great.

Just one thing though: who makes the constant thread title changes?

'there will be blud fam' for the arsenalmania thread was good - the rest are god awful

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Why is it a problem to say your real name? :s
It's not a problem it's just funny seeing people's names sometimes when you've gotten used to their username. Especially when people have real names in their usernames but that's not actually their name.

Dan

It's not a problem it's just funny seeing people's names sometimes when you've gotten used to their username. Especially when people have real names in their usernames but that's not actually their name.
I know what you mean, Reg.

Deleted member 101472

Brews name being Chris blew my mind.

Brophs

The One and Only
At one stage parts of it were quite fun, at least in the sense that there was good camaraderie between us. Then it became very, very shit and less than no craic. It's just one of those things; the site moves on and some - like myself, tbf - don't have much interest in moving with it.

shaky

So how exactly does it work, being a mod? Do you have a rota, so there's always someone around, or do you just come and go as you please? How long do you all spend here every day?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I used to be a mod on Orkut (ancient history) in a Man Utd forum. Modding is not easy if the posters are not easy. I've seen posters get annoyed when their contribution is deleted/removed even though it would contravene some rules that were laid out. Some disgruntled posters make it their job to point out every mistake made by a mod if they feel they've been slighted by a mod. Some expect detailed accounts of banning and mod's justification etc even though modding is done voluntarily. I've seen that once the trust is broken, then a mod can't participate normally in a forum. That is why having the best and articulate posters as moderators doesn't normally work, like how best players don't make good managers. Posters with good people skills make excellent mods.

I'm not suggesting that it is all down to posters. Some mods are very arrogant and think they can do whatever they want coz they 'it's my voluntary work brahhh'. A good forum strikes a good balance between a cooperative posting population and people friendly mods, with one or two ban happy mods to take care of things if it gets feisty.

I know yours too - if you were telling the truth ..... hmmm .... ;)
Yea it is :lol: I have @Snowjoe on my facebook list :D

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
So how exactly does it work, being a mod? Do you have a rota, so there's always someone around, or do you just come and go as you please? How long do you all spend here every day?
We are spread through time zones pretty well so there always tends to be someone around all the time. But no fixed times so to speak.

That being said I spend way too long on here.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I send @Snowjoe enough dodgy PM's I don't think it'd be fair on him to have him on Facebook to more easily send him dodgy messages

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It is hard work sometimes waiting for an issue to resolve itself, or needling noodlehair to do something about it.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It's basically acting like parents. The purpose is to support the forum and quietly enforce the rules with wisdom without turning into the Internet Police.