What's your mid-season assessment?

Tibs

Decent.

We need to buy a striker who will score goals in January if we want to finish in the Top 4, an absolute must.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I didn't expect us to get top 4 and still don't because of our obvious lack of goals. Expected us to be better going forward but we create very little.

On the other hand the fixture list hasn't favoured us. No away games are easy but we have 12 of the 'bottom 13' (including Chelsea) still to play at home where you would expect some more comfortable wins.
Yeah, this can’t be stressed enough. Even when we had a game which should have been easy (Villa in a season where their manager gets sacked) it ended up being difficult (new manager bounce)

Taking the fixtures into account I’d say we’re ahead of my expectations. And those expectations were based around Ronaldo being able to contribute at least something, rather than the total burden he’s become. Which has been compounded by our other #9 missing practically the whole season so far.

So yeah, on balance ETH has done an excellent job. We just need to show we’re capable of putting some of the weaker teams to the sword in the same way we did to Spurs.

mikel

I feel there is a solid foundation and a defined way they want to play. Need more/better/something forwards. Watching Martial today I think he suits the style of play better but again we miss chances. Starting XI look very tired last 3-4 games. Fresher legs and I don't think we drop points to Villa and this game would not have been as close.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We’re doing pretty well. I think there’s been lots of bang average performances, but we’ve turned a lot of them into good results.

It’s the big games performances that make me think we’re really on the right road. That Spurs game was brilliant.

It’s not quite mid season, barely over a third and we can finish quite high.

Ludens the Red

Happy with the league position cos I had zero expectancy of top four. Although how rubbish chelsea and Liverpool have been does make
It slightly annoying we’ve not taken advantage.
Not enamoured with the football. It’s basically slightly improved on how we were under Ole.
The attitude of our players is a lot better to be fair though.

slored1

I was terrified after we lost to Brentford but we have picked it up and are performing well since then. A couple more wins would be nice, especially that Newcastle draw and the loss last week, but overall it has been fine.

Expecting us to finish in third now, I think with all key players fit (Bruno, Lisandro, Dalot, Eriksen, Antony) we are up there with the best.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Pleased with how we’re doing and think we’re on the right path.

Pleased with how Casemiro and Lisandro have slotted in, both look great signings, and also relieved with both having been concerned initially! Eriksen looks class and I think Antony will prove to be a good addition too.

I think how Ronaldo has been handled is great and a breath of fresh air, and it seems as though ETH won’t tolerate some of the behaviours we’ve seen previously. Loved the story about him making the squad run the difference in distance after that game early on, and also doing it himself was even better.

Delighted to see a better version of Rashford and the upgraded version of Shaw too, and Garnacho looks special.

We’ve still got massive gaps in the squad and we’re yet to see what Sancho can do (he’s been written off by many but I maintain he’ll come good). Maguire looks finished which is a big gap and another huge write off of investment and further highlights our poor recruitment in recent years (plus AWB).

Overall I’m pleased with the first half of the season and the results in the main, and excited to see how the remainder of the season pans out.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
As I said in the other thread, I’m happy overall but lots of room for improvement.

Part of me doesn’t mind the pragmatic approach to ensure we get results but at the same time I’d like it if Ten Hag was a bit more “all in” and uncompromising in the style of play because it would benefit us more in the long run. The team still isn’t playing any kind of possession based game and I know people will say we don’t have the players which is fair and true.

Parma Dewol

We've exceeded all my expectations. It's easy to forget just how rotten everything was. From top to bottom our club appeared in disarray just six months ago. I was starting to wonder if it might take another decade to sort this mess out.

How Erik has transformed the mood in such a short amount of time is frankly incredible. Top four would be nice this season, and a good cup run a bonus, but for me it's far more important we back this manager with a view to the future.

He's the best thing to have walked through our doors in years. Yes we still have glaring deficiencies, yes he's still figuring out the best system for what we have, and yes the squad still needs major surgery, but for the first time in a long time I believe we'll get there.

If nothing else, I love watching United again. In a way that's all I wanted this first half of the season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Impressed overall.

Plus points:
- Having actual tactics and organisation and actually looking like something resembling a professional football team, as opposed to some kind of travelling youtube blooper reel.
- Huge improvement in attitude on the pitch. Players now fighting and caring over even minor details. Literal celebrating heading a cross away and roughing up/being shits to opposition players, is hugely preferable to 90 minutes of moaning at the ref.
- Every signing has obviously strengthened us in some way.
- More good/decent performances than in the entire of last season already. In that there has been more than 0.
- Mostly Impressive results in spite of difficult fixture list.
- Just the fact that Eriksen constantly looks and talks like he's been sat in a cafe in Amsterdam smoking weed all day.

Concerns:
- We need about 500 chances to score a goal, and when we eventually do score half the time there's a lucky deflection involved. It's more like forcing a goal through law of averages than any form of being clinical.
- As soon as we make a single change or pick up a single injury in defence or midfield, the first choice replacement is like swapping a high range laptop with a typewriter. This wouldn't be such a huge issue if Casemiro and Eriksen could play 70 games in the space of a season, or if one of Varane's trademark moves wasn't "injure self for 3 weeks"
- We've looked knackered for about a month.
- Two game false start has actually cost us significantly in terms of league position. We're in 5th when our performances and results since should have us sitting just behind City.
- Concerned that the break might harm us more than other teams, although nit sure if a valid concern or not.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We're 5th behind a shit Spurs so while there have been reasons to be optimistic the recent draw against Newcastle and loss to Villa have been a bit of a reality check that we're still going to be wildly inconsistent this season which may mean finishing outside of the top 4

At the start of the season I said priority should be to win the EL bit given the shit draw we have now that seems a tall ask as well as finishing in the top 4 so I guess just try to enjoy the highs and prepare for the lows

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
A lot more positives than negatives. He inherited a bit of a sh*tshow and since those two dreadful opening games our league record is 8-2-2 with most of those being tough fixtures.

His signings have been outstanding. Two of those additions are clearly leaders on and probably off the pitch, and theyve obviously contributed to what seems to be a very positive and winning mood amongst the squad. A lot of other players have improved, or have managed to get close to the best form we've seen them produce previously. We have a clear outline of a team.

Some negatives for sure, but not significant enough to dwell on. No manager is perfect and they all make mistakes.

My expectation is top four. IMO we are the third best team in the league right now and I predict that's where we'll finish.

Boondog

Looking ahead what happens if we get the best case scenario with health. Because our eleven I'd be confident about vs anyone given health. Maybe City has us outclassed still. But the rest we're in it vs any of them so I see this team winning a lot of games if that's the case.

Call me crazy but this eleven looks like they can handle themselves. And that's not counting perhaps an addition to shore up striker or depth on the right. Those two things added yeah you bet we're gonna be in it.

DDG
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Case Ericksen
Bruno
Antony Martial Nacho​

wolvored

For me

1) What were your expectations for the season before the season started and why?

I thought best scenario top 5/6 and EL win. TH is a newbie in the Premier and 2 ways it could go. He is either out of his depth or he starts showing progress. I expected first 10 games or so to be all over the place.

2) What are your expectations for the season now and why?
Best scenario still the same. I think top 5/6 is a given now at least and maybe we can pinch 4th. The WC will make some teams weaker when the players come back, injuries fatigue etc.

Feel free to give the season thus far a rating out of ten too
I would say 7/10 as we show some good passages of play, along with some poor, but from the first 2 games there is improvement overall. When he has all his best 11 players we will be hard to beat.

JohnyBuckets

first half, Better than expected. Should have a better second half with hopefully Martial staying fit and Sancho finding some form. A front 3 of Martial, Rashford, Antony, Sancho, Garnacho all clicking should give us enough goals. Hopefully we can add a ST to that group now that Ronaldo will finally leave (has to, right??)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The results are about where I expected them to be after the transfer window, but better than where I expected them to be after pre-season and then the first two matches. I predicted 6th at the start of the season and thought ETH would do well just to keep his job for a couple of reasons, despite thinking he was the right appointment. The manager was backed more than I expected in the transfer market and I thought those signings would help a lot
And tonight one of those reasons reared its ugly head.

Red00012

Get rid of Ronny and feck 40 million at Brentford for Toney
Also we have a feck load of players we can throw in to sweeten the deal

Kaos

I said as soon as ETH joined that the first season was a free hit for him as far I was concerned. I would have been happy with him if we secured a top 6 finish so long as our football was starting to develop an identity, we became enjoyable to watch again and we manage to bin some toxic/deadwood players.

So far all those seem to have been met. Only real bummer is how Arsenal have progressed to being a title-challenging side a lot sooner than we have, but perhaps we should treat that as a promising omen for us in the next season or two assuming we back the manager.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ten Hag has been pretty close to perfect IMO.

• Ronaldo situation was always going to be a tricky, uncomfortable situation, with a past it out of his depth player still thinking he is anywhere near good enough, yet Ten Hag handled him perfectly. Ronaldo is now making himself an embarrassment and is dragging us down a bit, but it's resolving itself
  • Maguire situation handled perfectly and now United's captain is our 4th choice CB and at least he'll look to find a club for himself soon enough without any disrespect
  • System implemented way more than I would have thought. Very impressive defensively and off the ball with our pressing, on the ball up and down but very good signs
  • Recruitment, player development, all excellent as well IMO. A lot more to do, but I think if he's backed properly then we are ahead of schedule
  • Player atmosphere and collectiveness seems hugely improved, with those who try to dissent very swiftly being punted to an unimportant role and not able to actually influence the others now which is nice
Very excited for the second half. Even more so with no Ronaldo. Hope we bring in someone like Gakpo to add depth in attack, but I think we're the 4th best footballing side in the league (City, Arsenal, Liverpool are the top 3 for sure), with clear potential to push into that group. Even in individual games, can compete with Arsenal or Liverpool's best form, but more City is still on an island IMO.

Mr. Robot

8/10. It’s gone far better than I expected. We will still get ‘Top 4 or sack him’ obsessed lunatics in the fanbase but I’m more interested in style of play, energy, tactical changes in-game and basically players giving a shit.

Ten Hag needs trust, time and patience as he’s clearly a very talented coach.

moodyred

1. Top 6 given how bad we were last season.
2. Top 4 is possible but I would still be happy to be in top 6 as it is a year of rebuilding.

Last season, we couldn't even point our fingers to where the problems actually lie. Was it the players? Was it the tactics? Was it the management? It was a team in disarray.

ETH appears to have sort out quite a number of issues much faster than I had expected. Not just on the pitch but probably off it as well. Where we are lacking has become clearer because of the system he has implemented and his experimentation. Using Maguire as a striker? Moving Bruno to the right? He is telling the entire world he needs a striker. I think he is also experimenting with Bruno but knows where we are lacking.

I give him a 9/10 for the job done so far.

tjb

It's not perfect, but it's clear that we are on the right path, its not a false dawn.
We've learnt a lot of things about our team and squad. Our top and most important players are clear. Our poorest players are clear. The impact each player has is clear too.
Our starting defenders have been fantastic. Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno have also been pretty good. Our attack however has been poor and inconsistent. Martial being hurt hasn't helped and Ronaldo being really poor has hurt us more than anything. Sancho needs to step it up too.

In terms of tactics - we have had periods of really good pressing, possession and playing patterns. However, they haven't been quite consistent, which I blame on our lack of depth in terms of certain positions. We still haven't found consistency yet in these elements, but they are clearly there.
Defensively, we've also been usually quite solid, outside the opening games. This team can clearly keep clean sheets, the defensive shape in our own half has been mostly good; Martinez in particular has been stellar.

We haven't been quite as good at creating chances as I would have liked. There are games where we have created good shooting opportunities and taken shots, but I don't think we are cutting teams open quite yet. I think the major reason for this has been due to the inconsistency in availability of attacking players in the front 3 and the fact that we haven't actually had a no.9 the whole season. With Ronaldo in attack, we are playing with a void and with Rashford, we lack a presence in the box. Neither are real no.9 options and I think this has affected our ability to play around a striker. We can create chances when playing at a high tempo where spaces exist, but when the game is a tad bit slower, we need to have a no.9 to know how we should attack. Getting Martial healthy would help, but I also think having someone he can rotate with at a similar level to him would turn us into a far more formidable attack. His injury record isn't fantastic

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Happy with ETH's assessment of the squad and with how he has instilled a clear playing style (at least with the players at his disposal). But I agree with others in that if we don't sign a couple of reinforcements in January, we won't be making Top 4. We wouldn't stand much of a chance in securing silverware this season either way.

I much rather slow and steady progress than another Ole-type false dawn.

caid

Pretty impressed
Rehabilitated a lot of players. De Gea's form has been kind of shocking in the best possible way.
Thought it would be a much rougher start with them opening 2 games being the standard for weeks. Really don't think that was easy to turn around in general, let alone as fast as he has.
Set some standards in terms of work rate and professionalism straight off the bat and maintained it for a extended period. We've had some short periods were its clicked previously but doing it consistently is beyond us for a long time. Its been slipping a bit last couple of weeks, we'll see how we pick up after the WC.
I like the football we play, I like having a midfielder like Eriksen in the team. I like our full backs and how they play the game.
Hes still in a honeymoon period a bit with me i guess but I really wouldn't know where to start to find something to be critical of.

lsd

The Oracle
Not sure if we have improved results wise as we just can't seem to break into the top four.

At times we look like we are actually learning to play proper football although it never really lasts 90 minutes.

On the plus side we look like we are finally phasing out the likes of Maguire and with Ronaldo likely to leave there is room for new leaders to emerge and hopefully create a better team dynamic.

Erik has done well made some huge calls which look like paying off. Has also made huge mistakes at time with his game management so room for improvement

ManRed

Very happy so far with ETH, took responsibility after first 2 losses, good transfer window and signings are all spot on. Kept Ronaldo, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, McFred away from starting XI as possible.

DevilRed

I don’t think people realize how difficult ETHs job has been. Imagine having to deal with a club and footballing legend like Ronaldo whilst being new to the premier league.

Difficult enough having to rebuild our team and this bunch of underachievers.

We have really given him a poisoned chalice but he has come through with flying colors so far.

wangyu

I’m very pleased despite leaking goals, not being in the top 4 and having a hard time scoring. We won games on mentality, we used to lose games on a lack of mentality. Big progress imo

bringbackbebe

Based on what I expected in Aug:
1) Dominate play both home and away against bottom 14 - Matched to a large extent barring the disastrous losses to Brentford & Brighton.
2) Dominate home games against City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs - Matched. Beat all Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs at home.
3) Put up a fighting show away against City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs - Got trashed by City, played really well against Chelsea. Overall, I'd say I'm happy here that we aren't scared of big teams any longer.
4) Play positive & pro-active football that's entertaining to watch - Partially matched. Some great football mixed with Ole ball but trending in the right direction.
5) Restrict silly defensive mistakes and coordination errors - We've improved leaps and bounds here, again barring a 2-3 games. Mostly thanks to Martinez, Casemiro and Maguire (for sitting in the bench).
6) Score at least at an average of the league rate from set play - Have we scored any at all? We're still terrible at set plays.
7) Have at least 4 youth players break through into first team - Garnacho has integrated himself, but others are yet to make their mark. I can see Iqbal & Mainoo getting game time. Too early to call given our fixture list. Maybe my expectation is too much since this hasn't happened in about 30 years for us.

The other major positive is that all of our signings have integrated quite well.

Some disappointing areas are:
1) Finishing (we should put away more of our chances).
2) The "lean" right side (Dalot & Antony are good together. If one isn't there and Elanga/2nd choice RB steps in, we look terrible on that side).

Players to get rid of who can't seem to be able to integrate into our expected style of play:
Clear cut: Ronaldo, Maguire, VDB, AWB, Phil Jones.
Not so clear cut: Sancho, Elanga, Fred.

One or two more windows of recycling should have us back on track.

Keiro

Before the season started I saw 5th place as top spot for us and we’re there despite a disastrous start. Anyone who can’t see the vast improvement, potential and complete change in attitude is blind.

ETH is EASILY our best manager since SAF. The first season was always going to be up and down but we’ve seen so many positives and memorable results yet some fans continue to nitpick.

I wouldn’t swap him for any other manager. He has proved to be far more adaptable than most thought. The signings have been instantly effective for a change and improved morale along with completely rejuvenating players we thought were done. Not to mention how he has dealt with the high profile dramas (Ronnie & Maguire) that come with the job.

It‘s obvious to see that he’s at the cutting edge of coaching and tactics and just needs TIME and suitable signings before we inevitability see success.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Neutral goal difference sticks out. Other than a couple of tonkings we've been pretty solid since Martinez came in but the absence of an actual goalscoring centre forward undermines our effectiveness going forward. I'd love Rashford to develop into that player but thats the kind of wishful thinking we've had for years now with a whole host of players. That said we seem to have missed the market for young strikers in the last couple of windows.

maximus419

Hard to really evaluate this season with it throwing up many surprises and of course a winter world cup thrown in.

Firstly, I think ETH has done well in tough circumstances. Messy summer with transfers, problems with Ronaldo and a few others, it was certainly not a good start to his tenure.

However despite the terrible start, I think he's turned things around as good as anyone could have hoped for. The players at least seem to play for 90 mins now, no more half an hour stints and then the team look knackered for the remainder.

The players all seem to have bought into the philosophy which is always the most important thing for a new manager, he seems well respected by most of the players.

The new signings have been all positives with Martinez and Eriksen the best performers. They've really transformed Utd and are key to hopefully getting top 4 and maybe a trophy.

Just a few negatives for me which are still worrying. Lack of depth and trust outside the main group of 15 players who've played the majority of minutes. Lack of rotation has led to some sloppy and tired performances at times, need to manage the squad better post world cup.

Main worry is lack of goals and creativity issues. Still too much reliance on individual bits of play, rather than a style and substance of coaching and tactics, which is making it tough to win games. We need to figure out how to get the most out of the other players if we stand a chance of top 4. Can't keep buying our way to resolving issues, I'm yet to be convinced he can coach his methods into enough of the group that he can save us money. I really hoped we would see a lot more transformation from individuals as they would be coached better but apart from Dalot, nobody else seems to have improved.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Still a lot of work needed but at least I tune in to games with interest and excitement. Something I had lost under Ole and Ralf for sure

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd say so far so good.
  • ETH has dealt with a huge problem - Ronaldo - superbly.
  • He also turned around a near catastrophic situation, 2 losses in 2 with Liverpool to play, into one where we are challenging for top 4. That has to be commended.
  • Signings have all looked really good. Most imprinted they all play with intensity and a food ethic.
  • The biggest challenge and area which we need to make progress on is our possesion football. We are still getting overrun by the Villas and Fulhams of this world and relying too much on counter attacks. Hopefully playing more to ETHs vision (mobile CF etc) will help but much has to come from his coaching of the team. In this regard progress has been slower. But we've seen some signs - Spurs, Chelsea first half for example

JustKatie

Pretty pleased overall.

We got rid of a ton of dross in the summer and brought in some genuinely top players. Martinez has brought back some of the bite and fight I like in a player.

Some mixed results on the pitch but some great ones too.
A shame about the Europa League group position but we did get the results there and lost out by one goal.

Hoped we'd be able to get into top 4 and work from there and we're fifth with a game in hand.

I love the manager. Garnacho has looked great but the manager is telling him unless his attitude is good he won't play.
He also treated a petulant Ronald like any other player with a fine and training alone.

Overall I'm happy enough with our season so far.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Now that we're (sort of) at the mid point of the season with the league breaking for the world cup, what's your assessment of ETH's time here thus far?

I'm particularly interested in knowing:

1) What were your expectations for the season before the season started and why?

2) What are your expectations for the season now and why?

Feel free to give the season thus far a rating out of ten too.
8/10 overall. To be 5th from where we were last season and where we were at the start of this season with no signings, I think ETH has done a brilliant job. We’ve had a tough run of fixtures and only 6 home games from 14.

I didn’t expect us to look so good at times so soon, as for the rest of the season there will be many bumps in the road. The drop off from Martinez/Varane and Casemiro/Eriksen to Maguire lindelof and McFred is simply huge and we’d need to play the formers every week which clearly we can’t.

Hopefully we can nick a top four place.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ten Hag has been pretty close to perfect IMO.

• Ronaldo situation was always going to be a tricky, uncomfortable situation, with a past it out of his depth player still thinking he is anywhere near good enough, yet Ten Hag handled him perfectly. Ronaldo is now making himself an embarrassment and is dragging us down a bit, but it's resolving itself
  • Maguire situation handled perfectly and now United's captain is our 4th choice CB and at least he'll look to find a club for himself soon enough without any disrespect
  • System implemented way more than I would have thought. Very impressive defensively and off the ball with our pressing, on the ball up and down but very good signs
  • Recruitment, player development, all excellent as well IMO. A lot more to do, but I think if he's backed properly then we are ahead of schedule
  • Player atmosphere and collectiveness seems hugely improved, with those who try to dissent very swiftly being punted to an unimportant role and not able to actually influence the others now which is nice
Very excited for the second half. Even more so with no Ronaldo. Hope we bring in someone like Gakpo to add depth in attack, but I think we're the 4th best footballing side in the league (City, Arsenal, Liverpool are the top 3 for sure), with clear potential to push into that group. Even in individual games, can compete with Arsenal or Liverpool's best form, but more City is still on an island IMO.
Great post on ETH