When did you realise Moyes was not the man for United?

L1nk

Before he was even hired, I honestly don't understand how he was chosen, I know there's always arguments on here about how you aren't a top manager depending on if you've won anything of note or not, personally I think you can be a top manager without having won something depending on the managers circumstances. However, beyond being Scottish I honestly don't know what Fergie was on about when he said "cut from the same cloth" Moyes showed absolutely nothing in his career prior to United that said to me, yes, definite United manager material. He literally had nothing to offer, Everton was his level, no higher.

Ban

I knew something was wrong when we had only signed Fellani on deadline day and he gave that interview where it was dark and he was speaking really quiet. I was just thinking ‘this isn’t right is it’.
Fellaini?
That was properly weird. :D

stu_1992

I think I was always felt he wasn't the right man. But was willing to give him a shot, and prove me wrong. December was when the faith was more or less gone and I think it was the defeat to Sunderland in the League Cup Semi-final that put the final nail on the coffin for me. Absolutely shambolic second leg, capped by the worst penalty shootout I've ever seen is take part in. (granted he's not really to blame for the penalty part)

Kaos

I was always skeptical to begin with but gave him the benefit of the doubt since I trusted Fergie's judgement. The tipping point for me was that Fulham game where we made about 400 crosses, none of which reached their target.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Some time during the 2000's.
:lol:

At the time of the draw against Fulham on the back of a defeat to Stoke it was becoming clear things weren't working out. It's strange to be reminded that our record at home was pretty damn good under him and we had a fantastic December, but after an underwhelming start things fell away badly in that second half with the much-maligned 0-2 Olympiakos, 0-3 Liverpool, 0-3 City coming within the same 30 day period of February/March. That was when I was certain.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Knew for sure when in his pre match press conference before we played Newcastle at home he said we’d “try to make it as difficult as possible for them”. Small time mentality.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
When he was appointed I was highly skeptical.

When he took a holiday I became even more skeptical.

When we ended the summer woth Fellaini I started to seriously worry.

When he got rid of the backroom staff and brought in the staff from Everton against the recommendation from Fergie I knew it wasnt going go end well, however I was still open to being proven wrong.

When he insisted Rooney was the man and even went as far as to insinuate Ferguson didnt tell the truth I thought we had made a big mistake.

When we lost at home to Newcastle I was done with him

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Beforehand, end of transfer window, every time he opened his miserable mouth.

Red For Ever

I never thought he was the man for United, but I also recall being sceptical when Fergie was appointed.
and I was even more sceptical when United splashed out over 1 million for Cantona, crazy money I thought

So I convinced my self these people knew more about Football and what United needed than I do, and for a few
months, I clung to the thought that someone saw something in Moyes I could not.

I managed to convince myself ( for a short while ) this was going to be Fergies last masterstroke
for United, and we would go on to praise his foresight of what Moyes would become.

Even though he was not even close to my idea of what a United manager should be, I really wanted him to succeed,
it may still have ended in tears, but I think if he had not cleared out everyone that Fergie left behind, he would have
had a better chance, with hindsight I now think that would have only delayed his downfall at best.

Then we got LVG and ...................

Andersons Dietician

About 3 or 4 years before SAF left and everyone was creaming over him. Remember getting in some massive verbal dust ups with people on talking Reds. However when he showed up you got to support him. In reality I think it was probably at the end of the transfer window. He screwed up right from the off and never recovered.

ravi2

Can I honestly say I have kind of blanked that whole season out of my memory as a United fan. It seems like it happened in some alternative universe.
Easy to say now, but I never wanted him from day one, he just didn't ever look up to the job. Sorry Fergie but that was a really bad choice.
Moyes was never a Man United manager and never will be up to any job at that level.
This.
And it was clear from the day he started he was completely out of his depth as a United manager, SAF is the greatest manager of all time but this was the mother of all mistakes and one that we are still recovering from.

finneh

I never wanted him from day one and thought it was lunacy he was appointed. However I was fully behind him at the start of the season... The Stoke game was the final nail for me though.

Andersons Dietician

When he got rid of the backroom staff and brought in the staff from Everton against the recommendation from Fergie
Always wondered why people mention this. Pretty much every manager that goes to take over a club replaces the backroom staff with his guys and people that he has worked with and knows how they work and vice versa. He also offered a position to Phelan or Rene. It was one of them and whoever it was turned him down. Pretty sure it was Phelan as he mentioned being offered a job and turning it down.

dbryan

I never wanted him from day one and thought it was lunacy he was appointed. However I was fully behind him at the start of the season... The Stoke game was the final nail for me though.
Which one? The 3-2 at OT in late October (were we scrapped through) or I am guessing you mean the 2-1 in Feb of 14 when he played Rooney, RVP and Mata up top and we were sooo slow.

Djemba-Djemba

Losing at home to Everton and Newcastle without scoring a goal inside a week was when I realised he was completely out of his depth and we had to get rid.

Skills

Snitch
Always wondered why people mention this. Pretty much every manager that goes to take over a club replaces the backroom staff with his guys and people that he has worked with and knows how they work and vice versa. He also offered a position to Phelan or Rene. It was one of them and whoever it was turned him down. Pretty sure it was Phelan as he mentioned being offered a job and turning it down.
This. The fact that nobody had any confidence in his own backroom staff, told you about the level of the manager we were hiring.

Cassidy

Hes staff had done nothing and won nothing. It showed he wasnt grasping how big a task United was going to be. I honestly think he could have done well (relied on the staff for the first year) and then brought his own guys in. At the very least he should have kept on of the assostants on

As for offering positions. I think they would have taken them if they felt they were wanted. Its like saying Jose offered Giggs a position. Yes one they knew wouldnt be accepted.

Skills

Snitch
Hes staff had done nothing and won nothing. It showed he wasnt grasping how big a task United was going to be. I honestly think he could have done well (relied on the staff for the first year) and then brought his own guys in. At the very least he should have kept on of the assostants on

As for offering positions. I think they would have taken them if they felt they were wanted. Its like saying Jose offered Giggs a position. Yes one they knew wouldnt be accepted.
Moyes himself had done or won nothing. The manager is the boss at the end, the winning culture & personality all flows from him. I just find it funny, that Moyes would've picked that up from Fergie's assistants despite showing no signs of having it in a decade of managing.

His away record against the top 4, told you everything about him.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Penny dropped at the end of the first transfer window. I think like a lot of reds we were prepared to get behind him but he was making none of the right noises in the transfer market and all of the wrong noises with his backroom changes.

Red For Ever

You are probably right, I think most do bring in the people they are used to working with, but bringing in what looked like a second rate team used to mid table mediocrity, to replace an experienced and team used to winning, never made any sense, and it would not take much to see the advantage of a new man keeping them in place.
I can also see how he may have felt he had to make a statement, but clearly neither him or his team were up to it, and I cant see where the evidence was that suggested he ever might be.

Andersons Dietician

This. The fact that nobody had any confidence in his own backroom staff, told you about the level of the manager we were hiring.
To be honest I think some of his coaching staff are actually quite highly regarded in the world of football especially the goal keeping coach.
I think Feige did say something about how, the coaches there will help guide him as he comes to terms with such a large task and just getting to know the club and the expectations but if Jose had taken over then he’d more than likely would have done the exact same thing although he does have more big team experience so he probably wouldn’t have needed as much guidance.

I think whoever took over first thing after SAF was always going to be the sacrificial lamb. Very few managers could have walked in to that job straight after Fergie and coped with the demands, expectation and shadow. Even tho from the sound of it Fergie has done his best to distance himself from the managers and allow them to just do their thing.

Last edited:

dbryan

Did anyone ever watch season review 2013/14? Does it exist?
It does exist and it's a laugh riot. I have had a couple of beers as well so that helps. It's strange with Moyes. We smashed teams like Villa 4-1 at Home, Newcastle away 4-0. WBA 3-0 away and Villa away 3-0, Swansea 4-1, Bayer lever 5-0, 4-2. He did hammer a lot of the rubbish teams...a lot more so than Jose for example but against any half decent opponent he went to shite.

RedDevil@84

I don't remember a whole lot of that season thanks to Moyes. But I think I first got surprised when Moyes was declared the manager. That Everton guy seriously!!
Then I read that SAF had chosen him, so I thought maybe he will come good.
After the Fellaini saga I was sceptical and his press conferences just made it worse. Within months I got a feeling that all players including RvP were seriously underplaying and by Xmas I had pretty much given up on winning anything at all. By new year it was just a matter of when.
Then there was a rumour of Moyes being held on only because of some clause in his contract regarding top 4 and compensations and very soon we got out of top 4 and puff!!! He was gone

Idxomer

I took a hiatus from watching United after SAF retired, so I never really thought Moyes would work.

Inter Yer Nan

Before the season opener. I'd say the way the summer transfers were handled and who was profiled and who was signed. Could see nobody of real caliber respected him so doubted players good enough for us would respect him. It's also difficult to trust a manager who came from a club where a successful season is a top 6 finish.

Minimalist

Newcastle loss was the breaking point. Knew then he was the wrong person for the job.

Everything prior to that was just hoping for the best.

Cassidy

Moyes himself had done or won nothing. The manager is the boss at the end, the winning culture & personality all flows from him. I just find it funny, that Moyes would've picked that up from Fergie's assistants despite showing no signs of having it in a decade of managing.

His away record against the top 4, told you everything about him.
I fully agree.
Im saying it showed his arrogance. If he knew he wasnt up for the job really he would have kept the assistants and maybe they coould have taught him a thing or two. Of course they coukd gave helped. Doesnt mean we would have won the title or anything like that.
IMO Fergie was setting him up to have said support but he was too arrogant to listen to the master.
Doesnt mean it would have went well. My point was that was serious insight IMO into his mentality and the fact he had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Josep Dowling

The minute I heard he was favourite for the job I just knew it was going to be a disaster.

If it wasn’t for the fact Sir Alex said ‘stand by your new manager’ in his final speech I don’t think he would have lasted as long as he did. We tried to act like we were a different club to everyone else, we gave time to our managers. Which meant the club delayed the inevitable and the OT faithfull stuck by him.