When did you realise Moyes was not the man for United?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd always hoped that we'd go for one of the big fish (Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola) as a "steady the ship" signing to see us through the transition and show that life goes on - if we were going for a wildcard choice then Pellegrini or even a highly rated youngster like Pochettino would do. So when the press started talking about Moyes I kind of dismissed it as press nonsense - nothing about him said United.

When he was appointed I assumed (based only on the idea that he'll have been well known to SAF and co) that he had some hidden depths or even some hidden charm. I tried to look on the bright side, but saw nothing to encourage positivity, not the stories from the pre-season tour, not his transfers, not his dire press conferences, and certainly not his miserable looking players or the team performances. But the real, "he's gone too far this time, there's no coming back from this," moment was when he talked about aspiring to be like City. Just unforgiveable.
The biggest Myth with Moyes is that there was always something he wasnt getting that was allowing us all to see what a great manager he was.

It doesnt matter what club he has been at, the football, style and complaints have all been same, he is a tactically inept, cowardly, defeatist ditherer with all the charisma of a pile of dogshit.

nokoya

Change backroom staff from the beginning of the season. Completely don’t know club behaviour and philosophy.

Asked Rio to learn from Jagielka.

Many more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Foley

My mate told me on Twitter about the rumours of SAF retiring and Moyes coming in. I didn't believe it. One of those I don't want this so much I can imagine it to be true.

Anyway it was true, and the summer was a big concern. I just remember there being confusion as to what the hell was going on, the Fellaini and Herrera stuff was a joke!

Good opening game, draw with Chelsea wasn't terrible, the loss away to Anfield I never thought we'd win but still thought we would finish ahead of them. Hammered by City early on, but I remember some of the CL performances giving hope, and Januzaj, and a 1-0 at home to Arsenal that was not pretty but a good gritty performance. They were top and it brought us within 5 points of them I think. Then the next week we conceded a last minute equaliser in a 2-2 with Cardiff.

The semi final against Sunderland I remember feeling city would just dick us in the final anyway. So I'd given up before then I guess. And wanted him gone, anyone else remember after the first leg the look between Sir Alex and Sir Bobby?

That 6 game win streak in November was good but I was going into big games just with no hope or encouragement. Expecting to lose basically. The 2-1 at Stoke was in the second half of the season but was utterly miserable.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Didn't want him in the first place. He was neither a promising young coach or a proven winner. He was a manager that had done feck all in 15 years.

Mourinho and Ancelotti were available and we went for David fecking Moyes.

Dundrummer

Up to January things were tolerable if far from impressive, but that month killed us. We had some horrible results in 2013, but people forget we entered the new year on the back of our best run of form, wherein we finally looked like we'd figured out how to play and had won 6 in a row. We were still in all the cup competitions, and the league table looked like this.

We've won the league from positions like that before, but instead the whole of January was spent lurching from one shambles to the next. We lost at home to Sherwood's Spurs, got knocked out of the FA cup by Swansea, went out of the league cup to Sunderland in the dumbest circumstances imaginable, and then got thumped by Chelsea to end any hopes of retaining the title. And then the idiot signed a player we absolutely didn't need and who was never going to fit our style of play, exclusively to make some kind of 'statement'. He probably should have been sacked right there and then.

And then came the Fulham match. I was there, and it was my birthday.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
When the rumours started to circulate that it would be him, it was like a bad dream.

But we had to put a brave face on it and back him. I think the Charity Shield and first league match of the season were okay IIRC. I started to lose faith shortly after that. Just from his interviews, he lost the plot almost immediately.

renatosanches85

Honestly? When sky sport first broke the news that he would become the new manager I knew it was going to end badly. And then Fergie talking about how we had to support our new manager reaffirmed this belief.

Ben Lister

"We should aspire to be like city" Should have been shot for that comment, absolutely criminal. Although I think we all knew from day one he wasn't the one for us.

Nikelesh Reddy

Watching the season review 13/14 at the minute. Great opener against Swansea. Welbeck and RVP in fine form.

Got hammered by City, lost to WBA (I was in Thailand for both of them). He then went on a decent run of 11 games without defeat.

So when was the point when you said "nah this guy ain't for United"

Was it from day one?

Was it the City defeat, or the losses at home in December of 2013 to Everton and Newcastle?

Sunderland in the cup?

For me it was Olympiakos away. That was shocking and when I knew....yeah this ain't going to work is it.
The back to back home defeats against Everton and Newcastle.As soon as we lost against Newcastle at OT,I completely lost faith in him....

f_to_z

When he kept saying we were doing well while we were 6th in the league.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When that first window closed, and we ended up with none of the gaps in the squad filled and we just had one player who we didn't really need, it seemed doomed from that point. I don't know if there was an exact point where I'd had enough. It was a weird situation to adjust to. We'd never sacked a manager in my lifetime so it was difficult to see the signs where we had passed the point of no return. At the time, I felt certain that no matter how bad the season went, we would start the next season with Moyes as manager. I'm glad I was wrong.

GiddyUp

Everything was set up to give him a chance. Crowned champions, back room in place and Rooney with one foot outside the door and experienced players. Although the average age was high we had enough to finish in the top four so the manager can make a good run at a cup. Instead he wanted the club to come down to his level which was being comfortable with no points won away at a top four club in his ten years at Everton. The man was given the biggest job in sports management at the time and instead of getting prepared he took a two week holiday. Shocking all round really.
But losing 1-0 to Singha all stars opened my eyes after I was initially positive. Also the Beatles moment he had on Bondai Beach. United on an evening stroll in fecking Australia, of course they were going to get mobbed. Usually I can't even remember last weekend but I remember every fecking day of Moyes.
And let's not forget the chips. Jesus Christ the chips.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When I noticed how "put in more crosses" was actually his only game plan..

roseguy64

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moyes-to-succeed-ferguson-anyone.74640/page-71#post-13431397
This post in May 2013 says I wasn't a big fan but I think I was willing to give him a chance.

Wanted Mourinho but that ship has sailed. Not advocating sacking Moyes but I'm not averse to him going if someone that's able to get us playing better comes in. Would have to be someone like Simeone or Solskjaer for it to make sense so no rush there. Moyes will get time unless it becomes worse.

If the players don't respond to the new manager then they'll be shipped off.
Here we see I was not fond of him in December.

And in February I wasn't convinced by him: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moyes-so-far.373984/page-546#post-15087497

And I was willing to give him until the end of the season: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moyes-so-far.373984/page-553#post-15092714

Never wanted him but gave him a chance. Lost me after the Fulham game. The draw was so predictable and I was so apathetic towards it. That decided it for me.
But it seems the Fulham game was the kicker.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
When it was clear that he thought Rooney could still bring glory to Man United.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Can't remember who the opposition was, but I remember us defending a corner at home and he had all 11 players, including RVP, in our own box and I just thought to myself if we get this cleared, it's just coming right back because there's nobody to hold it up. I couldn't understand the logic of such a tactic.

cyril C

Change backroom staff from the beginning of the season. Completely don’t know club behaviour and philosophy.

Asked Rio to learn from Jagielka.

Many more.
Recruit Fellaini to play as DMF, for someone supposedly to know Fellaini inside out....

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I was skeptical when he sacked the remaining staff to bring in the likes of Neville, Round, etc. Men with zero winner's mentality joining a manger with zero winning mentality (yeah, Phil had won as a player riding on the coattails of true match winners but had achieved nothing as a coach).

Then his baffling transfer window that somehow ended up panic signing Fellaini as like his sixth option, and at a much higher premium than had he triggered the transfer a month earlier. He was clearly out of his depth.

It became even more so apparent by October that he had not the mentality to manage a club the size of United. And was glaringly obvious the only reason he was hired was because he was Scottish and SAF's buddy.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
It was a draw at Cardiff. Tom Cleverley was astoundingly shite amongst a sea of shite

Doctor Everton

Supports
everton
Think those of you with Evertonian mates knew from the get go. SAF let friendship get in the way of business the day he backed Moyes. The myth about what he did at our place is monumental. His first season with Walter Smiths players and a "back to basics" campaign got 7th (kudos for steadying the ship) but after a trophy free snore fest of a decade he was operating exactly the same way. Unsurprisingly the average league position for his tenure was 8th.

He had all the imagination of a garden gnome but an extremely well paid one due to the "saving Everton" myth. Being one of the top earners in the Prem there is no surpriser he was happy not to rock the boat and demand more ambition from the board and chairman Bluffing Blue Bill Kenwright.

He hasn't lasted a year where ambition exists for good reason.