When did you realise Moyes was not the man for United?

Skills

Snitch
There were a few brave souls who tried to warn the Caf that Dave was not fit to be our Manager in the days leading up to him being confirmed as our Manager and we got a great deal amount of stick for it.

Around December it was fairly obvious he was fecked.
The caf was unbearable then. The Moyes year was a real low point here.

BigBebe

When he took the whole of June off as vacation then turned up on the preseason tour looking like a bright red frightened rabbit.

stevoc

I still marvel that humans exist that believe we have had a worse manager than him post Fergie.
Its hard to wrap your head around but there are still people who believe the world is flat. So it makes you realize despite overwhelming evidence some will just believe crazy shit.

Bogga

At the friendly I saw live vs AIK here in Sweden... I got AIDS in my eyes, cause I saw Bebe play live

stevoc

The second I knew he'd got the job. I'd been hoping for Mourinho or Klopp and we got Moyes, who during his 11 years at Everton had managed to win absolutely feck all.

You couldn't make it up.

Revaulx

I discovered the Caf around the time of the Liverpool and City home humiliations, and found it a great source of comfort actually.

The minority of Moyes supporters that were left by then were keeping faith on the basis of United Way Give Him Time Top Redness, rather than any cultic worship of Moyes as a manager.

Trizy

When I saw this image. It screams of a meme ''I have no idea what I'm doing''.

SV_Planegg

Supports
SV Planegg-Krailling
Almost pissed myself laughing when I first heard the rumours he'd take over and I was pretty convinced there was no way the board was that thick.
Well, I was wrong. After he was officially appointed I was pretty sceptical but still wanted to wait a little how things would develop. Then I saw this:

That picture convinced me he had no business coaching United players ever. That man probably couldn't believe his own luck, at a time where all the work still had to be done. That face screams of "I made it!!!". Like he already crossed the finish line while actually the starting gun hadn't even been fired. I kind of feel for him because I can relate to the feeling of having achieved a huge goal, but if you can't find a new goal that keeps the flames inside you burning it's only downhill from there. His comments didn't help him of course. Aspiring to be like City, not knowing what he has to do to win and stuff like that... boy what the hell did go on in his brain the moment he spew that defeatist crap?:wenger:

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one.:lol:

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd heard speculation a few years beforehand that Moyes would be a candidate when SAF retired.
Back then I just laughed it off as it seemed totally implausible that United would ever give him a second glance.

But when SAF did finally retire, and Moyes was being pushed forward as the 'Chosen One' I just looked on in shock & horror.
It was like watching a train crash in slow motion, with the outcome an inevitable conclusion.

Andersons Dietician

I’m going to give Dave props for one thing. He would actually go and watch people or teams play. Not something you see very often now from managers. Went to Rayo to watch Saul, was in Portugal checking on someone went to watch Bayern a few times.

Anyone remember when he said next year we are going to play like Bayern. That’s how he intended United to play. Oh Moyez

MonkeysMagic

Forget what we fans think...I bet even now Moyes wakes up every morning and thinks ‘Did they really give me the Utd job or did I just dreamed that?’

Sir Scott McToMinay

I’ll say this though. The Moyes season was the most memorable season and the most I was invested in since SAF retired.
There was something about his incompetence that was both entertaining, sad and endearing at the same time.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I knew well before we signed him that he wasn't the right fit, but obviously when we did sign him I had to put those feelings to the back of my mind and hope for the best.

The guy was at a stable, big club like Everton for over a decade and his best achievement was finishing top four (and then crashing out of the CL) with them, not a single trophy. It's not like we were even getting someone like Poch who hadn't won anything but had dramatically improved the club he took over whilst playing football. Moyes had Everton in comfortable obscurity for ten fecking years.

I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was, I sort of expected him to keep us hovering around top four for a few languid seasons while we waited for a better manager to come along, turns out he was actually much worse than I'd ever anticipated.

One of the worst decisions a club has ever made.

SirAF

Ageist
I knew well before we signed him that he wasn't the right fit, but obviously when we did sign him I had to put those feelings to the back of my mind and hope for the best.

The guy was at a stable, big club like Everton for over a decade and his best achievement was finishing top four (and then crashing out of the CL) with them, not a single trophy. It's not like we were even getting someone like Poch who hadn't won anything but had dramatically improved the club he took over whilst playing football. Moyes had Everton in comfortable obscurity for ten fecking years.

I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was, I sort of expected him to keep us hovering around top four for a few languid seasons while we waited for a better manager to come along, turns out he was actually much worse than I'd ever anticipated.

One of the worst decisions a club has ever made.
Probably THE worst. The club is still suffering from getting that appointment wrong.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
98/99 when he started managing Preston.

vangagal

Forget what we fans think...I bet even now Moyes wakes up every morning and thinks ‘Did they really give me the Utd job or did I just dreamed that?’
You are deluded mate. He wake up thinks he should got that 6 years because such a champion like him deserved it. Fecking clown. He should be grateful he still allowed to enter Old Trafford

Romez

Before we hired him.

I just never got why we were the only big club linked with him. I remember all the media and pundits saying he’d be ‘perfect’ for us, yet he’d never be linked with Arsenal, City, Chelsea or even Spurs but some how he’s ‘perfect’ for us. Foh. As if he’d be a SAF clone just because he’s also Scottish.

It’s also the reason I blame LVG way more for most of our recent problems and why I don’t hate Moyes like a lot of our fans seem to do.

It’s like getting mad at a 10 year old for crashing a Ferrari after you’ve told them, they can drive it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The moment when Evra made the 37th cross out of 81 in "that" game. What an inspiring "coaching" from the man :lol:

Seriously though, i never wanted that clown to be in charge of Manchester United and even feared long before SAF retired that we would go for him when the man retires. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy and was clearly destined to fail. How Fergie thought otherwise i will never know.
So, at the time this was an embarrasing performance. But honestly we've had much worse home performances since then. Some of the LVG/Jose stinkers make that look a decent performance.

If you watch the video it was more the crosses were just SO BAD, rather than the actual tactic of it. It's actually nice to see Evra and Rafael so high up the pitch, I wish our fullbacks did that now :lol:

Anyway Moyes clearly wasn't the right fit, but i'm not sure this game was as bad as people made out. Olympiakos away though :nervous:

leevang

The day he had the team running in the local park or beach, whatever that was.

The day we crossed the ball 81 times.

The day he let go of back staff winners.

The day he signed fellaini

The day he asked our defence to model themselves on Jagielka

Handling of Zaha who is still a super talent

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoo

The summer when he cleaned out the backroom staff and pulled the plug on Thiago.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Easy to say now, but I never wanted him from day one, he just didn't ever look up to the job. Sorry Fergie but that was a really bad choice.
Moyes was never a Man United manager and never will be up to any job at that level.
My thoughts exactly.
Though after he was hired, I thought, "Let's give him a chance. He may turn out to do great things".
Unfortunately, my initial belief that he just isn't cut out for big clubs demanding trophies, came to pass and in around December/January time, I wanted confirmation that he would be fired and a top class manager (with an appropriate CV) would be hired.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Aug 17 2013... after a long time lurker, I joined to vent my disappointment in Moyes. The transfer window was a disaster and told of worse to come.

Him taking holiday till July 1st probably should have warned us. The guy was never ready to start
LOL. I also joined this forum in utter frustration that he was not good enough.
On other forums, the general feeling was, "he needs more time". I was the only one saying that, "the more time we give this guy, the further we will fall and the longer it will take to get back up. He needs to go right now!"
However, when I joined this forum, I could see many people were thinking like me, which I found mentally calming.

Rory 7

Hard to pinpoint the exact moment but it was the constant excuses in the press that did it for me, the way he talked us down constantly. I think the penny dropped for me when he compared us to Everton.

Oyibo

When he gave an aggressive clenched fist goal celebration with gritted teeth like Jurgen Stropp, against a
relegation threatened team, in an insignificant match.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was never happy with his appointment, nor ever really convinced he was the man for us - but it was Sunderland in the cup where I definitely wanted him gone.

I still have nightmares about that game... we played for extra-time ffs