When did you realise Moyes was not the man for United?

BigdaftGorby

When the rumours started, i ignored them. No way was we giving the United job to Moyes.
The minute he was announced I knew we was in trouble. He set us back years.
I was sat in a Wetherspoons when the news broke he had been sacked.......let’s just say I broke the silence in there :)

Ahsan_6386

Well to be honest I supported him from the start till even after most of his defeats. But the moment it changed was when we played Liverpool after defeat to City. Well before the match he dubbed Liverpool favourites at Old Trafford and after the defeat to Liverpool he starts going on about how we should emulate Liverpool's style and play similar and all. This was literally the worst thing he could say and this showed his loser attitude. As a United fan this was unpardonable. I think this was the day every United fan along with the United board lost faith in him totally.

Acole9

Outstanding
When we drew 2-2 at home to Fulham and he celebrated like we'd won.

Greck

Well to be honest I supported him from the start till even after most of his defeats. But the moment it changed was when we played Liverpool after defeat to City. Well before the match he dubbed Liverpool favourites at Old Trafford and after the defeat to Liverpool he starts going on about how we should emulate Liverpool's style and play similar and all. This was literally the worst thing he could say and this showed his loser attitude. As a United fan this was unpardonable. I think this was the day every United fan along with the United board lost faith in him totally.
I remember him saying Bayern were favourites at OT only for Giggs to respond by saying a United team should always see themselves as favourites at OT no matter yge opponent. Was actually really refreshing to see his failure mentality hadn't spread to the entire backroom. Come to think about it maybe Jose should have taken that advice against Sevilla

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I genuinely convinced myself that Benitez would save us from his appointment. So to answer the question, when he was managing Everton

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thats not how Moyes deals with the press, he wines and dines them. And feeds them information for favourable coverage.
I'm just a spoiled fan under Sir Alex, where he treated them like a king looking down at peasants. Which, in terms of football related and need, is true.They were the one who must curry favor talking to him. He even banned BBC from press conference for years, which is some sort of amazing when you think back :lol:.

TrueRed79

When all my friends who don't support Utd started calling/txting me when he was announced as our new manger. I genuinely thought they were taking the piss out of me at the time. When i saw it for myself, i winced and immediately thought that this will not last one season.

stevoc

I'm just a spoiled fan under Sir Alex, where he treated them like a king looking down at peasants. Which, in terms of football related and need, is true.They were the one who must curry favor talking to him. He even banned BBC from press conference for years, which is some sort of amazing when you think back :lol:.
Thats how they should be treated, i like that Jose isn't too friendly with them.

Castia

The day SAF retired and Moyes was odds on favourite, a blind man could tell you he wasn’t the right man for the job, it was a massive feck up by the board.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thats how they should be treated, i like that Jose isn't too friendly with them.
He's a smart man, and good with words. Sadly, his press conference has more flair than his team play.

Bocca9978

I hated myself for the whole Moyes thing.
I agreed with getting the chosen one, thought it was the right move.

Knew it wasn’t by the new year.

0161_UNITED

I remember the exact moment for me. It was a presser where whe asked what needs to change or improve, he said something along the lines of, “I don’t know. I’m out of ideas. But we’ll figure it out” or something along those lines. As anyone who works in business and management world knows, that kind of statement would get you sacked immediately. I knew it right then, he was done.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'd always hoped that we'd go for one of the big fish (Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola) as a "steady the ship" signing to see us through the transition and show that life goes on - if we were going for a wildcard choice then Pellegrini or even a highly rated youngster like Pochettino would do. So when the press started talking about Moyes I kind of dismissed it as press nonsense - nothing about him said United.

When he was appointed I assumed (based only on the idea that he'll have been well known to SAF and co) that he had some hidden depths or even some hidden charm. I tried to look on the bright side, but saw nothing to encourage positivity, not the stories from the pre-season tour, not his transfers, not his dire press conferences, and certainly not his miserable looking players or the team performances. But the real, "he's gone too far this time, there's no coming back from this," moment was when he talked about aspiring to be like City. Just unforgiveable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Never wanted him here. Once he arrived it was the deer in the headlights glare during his early interviews that were a good sign we were fecked.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure if mentioned but in pre season on the Asia tour he came out saying he’s overwhelmed (or words to that effect) by how big the club is compared to Everton. That was the first alarm bell but I kept the faith until we lost to Newcastle at home.

edcunited1878

When he sacked the ready-made, turnkey backroom staff. He surrounded himself entirely with people who had no fecking clue what it was like to be at a massive club. They had no credibility with the players.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...dvice-over-restructure-of-coaching-staff.html

'Keep what we've got, keep the continuity, work with them and they'll guide you through. You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.'

MrBest

Was October when he aspired to be City. Nail in coffin was when he claimed to play rvp because he thought the fans wanted it despite him being unfit. My mind was made up after October/ November.

With gaal, first year was okay didn't mind he continuing but was fed up a month into season two when we missed out on Klopp.

Jose, well ...... no comment as they are some real sensitive fans here!

MataFanatic

Honestly, at the time I was disappointed that he was sacked. I could understand why obviously because we'd a lousy season but, at the time, I thought he should've been given the chance to get it right the next season. I didn't blame him for the botched transfer business the summer he arrived - we really should've done better that summer in our pursuit of the likes of Fabregas, Thiago Alcantara and Toni Kroos. Pity that went south pretty quickly but I don't think players were too keen on us at the time and wanted to wait and see how Moyes fared. It wasn't until it went so bad for him at Sociedad and then also hearing the stories about his coaching a few years after did it become clear that he was a bit out of his depth. The stories of him showing videos of Jagielka to Rio and Vidic is comical. That's when, in looking back, I was glad he was given the bullet. The Fulham performance with the 84 crosses into the box or whatever it was pretty much summed up his style. Disaster! Nice guy, just not a United manager.

Champagne Football

He spent a whole summer boasting how the biggest names in football were coming then ended up with only Fellaini to show for it. That was the moment I began to fear the worst. He had no Plan B. No Bailly type signings up his sleeve that we all expected. Unheard of players who will come in at a good price and fit straight in. His biggest mistake was not taking Fergie up on an offer to work as a no. 2 where he would have learned from a jedi master instead of beind stuck at Tony Pulis level. He cracked in the job from day one as instead of staring at Lee Carsley, Lescott, Yakubu and Osman in the dressing room he was staring at Carrick, Giggs, Vidic and Van Persie - a bit like having a tiny cock and finding yourself at the local gym showers next to a few Lukaku's with looks of shock horror on their faces as they stare at you.

Last edited:

POF

For me, it wasn't a case of a moment convincing me he wasn't right for the job, but the fact that there were no moments that convinced me that he was.

He made comments in the media like "they tell me he's a great player" about a Manchester United player, as if he'd never seen them play before. The transfer strategy was confusing. He went for Fabregas, then Khedira and got Fellaini. He signed a technical player in Mata and a long ball merchant in Fellaini. He didn't seem to have any idea what style of play he wanted to adopt or what type of player he wanted.

Results wise, the 7th placed finish was bad but that was with the bounce at the start of the season of taking over the champions. The team got worse and worse as the season went on and that was with players who were the champions. Despite the fact he kept saying the team was in transition, it hadn't even started yet. He wasn't bringing any of the young defenders through. The only transition was from a great to a crap manager. I dread to think what would have happened if he had stayed any longer.

I would try to glean some hope from interviews of those who had worked with him but there was nothing about him being a great coach. Just that it was great to see him getting the opportunity, like he'd won a competition. He couldn't even convince Leighton Baines to leave Everton for United.

My biggest worry at the time was the match going fans. "We give our managers time" and giving him a standing ovation after the latest disaster. I was worried the board would happily let it play out as the fans seemed happy. Thankfully, Woody wasn't an idiot and made the decision. Ironically, that was the moment when I first thought that Woody was the man for United.

Miscemayl

When he sacked the ready-made, turnkey backroom staff. He surrounded himself entirely with people who had no fecking clue what it was like to be at a massive club. They had no credibility with the players.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...dvice-over-restructure-of-coaching-staff.html

'Keep what we've got, keep the continuity, work with them and they'll guide you through. You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.'
I am still convinced he would've done tons better if he had kept SAF's staff.

Wouldn't be surprised if he lost half the dressing room with that move since those guys have been with us for many years and probably gotten quite close to the players.

Who is David Moyes to say they are no longer good enough, and to compound that, bring in people with zero experience of winning anything.

If I was a player, he would've already lost me.

Sereques

Before he was hired. I was one of the few crying he's the wrong man. But many believe he did a good job at Everton and will be successful with at United.

laughtersassassin

Never wanted him but gave him the benefit of the doubt foe SAF sake.

Not sure which happened first but him saying we must aspire to be as good as City and Liverpool when we had just won the league was a joke, also blaming the quality of players when he was inept in the transfer market but the worst had to be that game versus Fulham. 81 crosses and we where just pathetic.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Don't recall exactly when, but I remember in a season full of lows that game with 86 crosses being a landmark moment. That's when I knew all hope was gone and we were in shambles.

kundalini

I thought Moyes would be a decent United manager up until the point where he got rid of Rene and Phelan, and persuaded Rooney to stay. I wasn't convinced he could recover from making errors of that magnitude. In my naivety, I hadn't seen those decisions coming at all. I expected Moyes to delegate, watch and learn for a season, trust the set-up that had won the title the previous year. Simply keeping Rene might have been worth another 10 to 15 points, provided he had been given responsibility for coaching and selecting the team.

redshaw

When I looked at his Everton record in more detail before he became manager.

I was sure Jose was going to take over Sir Alex. It feels like we went through some warped timeline.

Funny thing was the bookies had it right at the start of 2013 giving us no chance. I remember after the big win at Swansea on the opening day, Van Persie was interviewed saying he doesn't understand why we're so lowly rated after just winning the league with such a huge points margin. He thought the same group could continue on without Sir Alex. Bookies put the Moyes factor into the computer and it said no.

Last edited:

robinrooney

I knew he wasn't the man for United the second he was announced.

I got behind him as it was the thing to do and sang that awful song with the rest of the Stretty/away fans.

Really got pissed off around December time and didn't go to another game after the Fulham game in February.

Hate the man with a passion. He also lumbered us with Fellaini.

To think, he would still have 1 year left on his original contract. What a farce that whole debacle was.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Never think he was the man to lead us back from the very first day. Then somewhere midway through the season, when he keep breaking "records" of losing to some lesser opponents at old trafford, absolutely want him gone.