When does Mourinho's job come under threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPooni

There have been improvement on last season (somewhat)

After a record transfer spend. And no Champions League football. And less injuries.

So this mitigates it somewhat. We HAD to improve after last season, my worry is that after having a relatively easy run of fixtures and a ridiculous net spend I'm seeing worse results and sometimes performances just as bad.
1) Transfer spend is a moot point when you factor in inflation and currency fluctuations.
2) Suggesting our Europa League schedule is preferable to the average Champions League schedule is batshit crazy.
3) One could easily argue that improving our woeful injury record is a plus for Mourinho as our manager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
How were we unlucky? We sat deep, invited Arsenal on to us and they scored. Hardly surprising with the way we have played this season.

Sensible tactics would have been to take advantage of our superiority not hand the initiative back to the opposition who had offered nothing all game. As for Rashford's mistake that's what happen when the opposition have the ball and you don't put them under pressure.
Come on, they were not creating anything before the goal and did not look like scoring for the last 20-30 minutes at all. You are just moaning for the sake of it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We are worse off than we were with Moyes and LVG. But we have spent crazy cash. We need a more positive manager
The fact is are we worse off than we were under them?

Under Moyes
- He took over the champions
- He didn't manage to attract big names
- He had an easier league
- Seemed to be too "small" for the job

However

- He had a lot less money
- He had higher expectations
- His signings in general weren't too bad (Mata!)
- He had Champions League

Under LVG
- Performances were poor
- We struggled to score
- Poor performances in the CL
- Wasted a lot of money

However

- He got in some quality players
- He played the youngsters
- Had more points
- Won big games

It's too simple to say "we are worse off". Factually maybe, but you can't just look at results in isolation.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Mourinho's job comes under threat when it's no longer possible to make top four, so around about February at this rate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
1) Transfer spend is a moot point when you factor in inflation and currency fluctuations.
2) Suggesting our Europa League schedule is preferable to the average Champions League schedule is batshit crazy.
3) One could easily argue that improving our woeful injury record is a plus for Mourinho as our manager.
But that's a thing that he didn't do, so how can it be a plus?

ash_86

I wouldn't fire Jose even if he finishes 10th this season. Any one got a measure of how many poor results that Klopp had when he took over last season? Mourinho's way takes a lot out of players. They need to constantly chase shadows and then run crazy when we get the ball and make hay. It's not easy doing that in first few months of the season. On top of that we have an overpaid squad with so much dross laying around which makes the job so challenging. We knew exactly what type of manager we're getting with Mourinho , now stick with him patiently. Feck to off anyone calling for his head this season.

Dir Wangem

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: domestically, we've only been bad for 1 and a half game so far. Shit luck and shitty finishing has put us in this situation. I don't think Mourinho could have done anything different. His game plans have been 100% spot on except for the first half vs City and the Chelsea game.

Moyes = bad football, no clear plan, bad results, boring to watch.
Van Gaal = good against top teams but bad against the others, a clear plan, some results but not good enough, boring to watch.
Mourinho = good football, a clear plan, bad results(mainly because of bad luck), entertaining to watch.

The people wanting to sack Mourinho need a reality check. I can't take them seriously.

EmPeeKay

There's absolute nothing to indicate that, despite our spending, we're any better off than we were under Van Gaal. It's exactly the same as it was under him. A good performance here, a win there, sprinkled with losses everywhere, and a totality that sums up to nowhere good enough.
Agree totally. A lot of people seem to be applying different standards to Jose Mourinho and are not measuring him with the same yard stick as with other Managers. I am still behind him, even though I wasn't really convinced when he was appointed, but right now there are at least two or three Managers in the league that are outperforming him. We currently don't have the same cocky and self confident Jose who won Silverware at a lot of clubs throughout Europe and I just hope he rediscovers himself and turns this mess around.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Since this thread isn't about Jose's job but rather the latest performance, take it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.