When will match going fans crack?

Nickelodeon

One team wins the league every year. One. We're a bit of a state at the moment but we've won 6 of the last 8, scored a pile of goals, our starting 11 is littered with academy graduates. We came back from 2-0 down away from home yesterday with 3 of those boys scoring. When we're grinding it out, we need more entertainment. When we're knocking in 3 in 7 minutes away from home, we're an abomination for being a couple down in the first place. We all want to be winning shit again but you have to smell the roses along the way. You can't constantly be angry. If you weren't out of your seat for Rashfords goal, you're not doing it right.

United fans enjoyed stuff before Fergie and it's ok to enjoy stuff now without constantly looking at the bigger picture.
I don't disagree with most of what you've written except for the fact that as a team, even if we do support them through thick and thin times, there needs to be a threshold which shouldn't be broken. I'm afraid that our fans are becoming too compromising with the expectations which is one of the reasons we're in freefall. I'm not asking for us to win the PL every year. But with the resources we have, being 9th after 13 games should be unacceptable.

Last year Mourinho was sacked with 7 wins in 17 PL games. We're at 4 wins in 13 at the moment. As thrilling as the almost comeback was, we saw similar, if not bigger, scenarios with Mourinho too. Till we reach the 17 games point, we could be worse off considering we'll be playing Spurs and City.

I'm not buying the 6 wins in 8 argument. Firstly because it is 5 wins in 8 (Liverpool, Partizan (away), Norwich, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Partizan (H), Brighton, Sheffield) and secondly because we have played Partizan twice and we were extremely poor in one of those. I understand that there are positives but they are small mercies and not the defining factor for our season.

Also, just because the club has been unsuccessful in the past doesn't make it okay to accept failure because we're fans. We should support the team no matter what but we have to be demanding when its the need of the hour.

SteveW

One team wins the league every year. One. We're a bit of a state at the moment but we've won 6 of the last 8, scored a pile of goals, our starting 11 is littered with academy graduates. We came back from 2-0 down away from home yesterday with 3 of those boys scoring. When we're grinding it out, we need more entertainment. When we're knocking in 3 in 7 minutes away from home, we're an abomination for being a couple down in the first place. We all want to be winning shit again but you have to smell the roses along the way. You can't constantly be angry. If you weren't out of your seat for Rashfords goal, you're not doing it right.

United fans enjoyed stuff before Fergie and it's ok to enjoy stuff now without constantly looking at the bigger picture.
Well said.

atticus finch

Supporting United is all I know. First game in 1966 at 6 years old. I went to a local school, learned all the songs and the history, travelled to many away games with my Dad when we went down in 74 and have been a season ticket holder for 33 consecutive years. Supporting the team and the club through highs and the many lows was what people generally did. The United following was mostly local and very hardcore.

In all those years, I have been frustrated at times but I have never booed a United player at OT. Might have had a good moan in a pub after the game but always supported the team on the pitch. I have also never joined one of the protest groups or protested about the club or the club's owners, even though I might feel disgusted with what they have done to the club.

Some will disagree but if you supported the team through the 70s and 80s, you got used to us punching below our weight. It wasn't always a pleasure to watch the football but it was always a privilege to go to OT and support the team. The support base has changed though. Supporters who go to games or support the club from a distance are very different. There is certainly a sense of entitlement in some of our modern support base that wasn't there before but that is for a different thread.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It wasn't always a pleasure to watch the football but it was always a privilege to go to OT and support the team.
The mindset of match goers - and, again, the traveling crowd in particular - is simply very different from that of the long-distance fan. It's about so much more than watching pleasing (on the eye) football, and winning matches: it's about a sense of community, traveling with your mates, being part of something bigger - and so forth.

The first thing which comes to mind for someone who's a part of that isn't to wave white hankies at the first opportunity. It doesn't mean those people aren't aware of the fact that we're a bit shite - both in terms of the club's structure and in terms of what's unfolding in front of their eyes on the pitch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Supporting United is all I know. First game in 1966 at 6 years old. I went to a local school, learned all the songs and the history, travelled to many away games with my Dad when we went down in 74 and have been a season ticket holder for 33 consecutive years. Supporting the team and the club through highs and the many lows was what people generally did. The United following was mostly local and very hardcore.

In all those years, I have been frustrated at times but I have never booed a United player at OT. Might have had a good moan in a pub after the game but always supported the team on the pitch. I have also never joined one of the protest groups or protested about the club or the club's owners, even though I might feel disgusted with what they have done to the club.

Some will disagree but if you supported the team through the 70s and 80s, you got used to us punching below our weight. It wasn't always a pleasure to watch the football but it was always a privilege to go to OT and support the team. The support base has changed though. Supporters who go to games or support the club from a distance are very different. There is certainly a sense of entitlement in some of our modern support base that wasn't there before but that is for a different thread.
Is there some sort of guidelines on how to be a "good" supporter? Is there a standard we have to "educate" ourselves?

Does supporter who go to games never criticize the team when off the game?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It’s fair to say our match going fans are incredibly loyal and even the slightest of groaning and booing are quickly frowned upon. We’ve served up some utter dross post SAF and it’s not getting better any time soon. What will it take for the fans to start becoming vocal at their displeasure at the state of the club? I’m not talking a few boos here and there, I’m talking creating a vitriolic atmosphere.

Manchester United should be held to the standards of Manchester United.
Indeed and for that reason we shouldn't aspire to create atmospheres akin to what Arsenal fans have done in recent years

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
If there are any group of supporters who are entitled to make their own decisions who to back or not, then it’s the match going ones.

Rams

Match going fans aren't the reason we're a big club, it's the international support so that's BS.
The reason why we’re such a big club is because of our history, way back from the very beginnings. That’s our DNA.

Rams

Remove the international fans and United won't compete on any front.
I’m not criticizing the International fans. I’m making the point that the supporters, who make a great deal of effort and spend lots of money going to the matches, are entitled to their opinions. Shame there aren’t more posting in Caf. Guess they must be put off by something.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I’m not criticizing the International fans. I’m making the point that the supporters, who make a great deal of effort and spend lots of money going to the matches, are entitled to their opinions. Shame there aren’t more posting in Caf. Guess they must be put off by something.
About 5% of opinions on here represent the Utd support. I'll always have a soft spot for the Caf, I posted on here as a kid - but christ it is out of touch.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Remove the international fans and United won't compete on any front.
Arsed?

Hopefully we win stuff, i'll still be there if we don't. Matchgoing fans crack? At what? I'm supposed stop stop going? Nonsense.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Entitled of course but more deserving, not at all.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Arsed?

Hopefully we win stuff, i'll still be there if we don't. Matchgoing fans crack? At what? I'm supposed stop stop going? Nonsense.
You're meant to get a banner out with "sack Woodward, sell Virus, sign Pochettino the new savour, sign some rando big name mercenaries and i'll see you all again in 4 months for the next sacking banner".

BaneIsPain

Why should they cracked at all? We need inject positive atmosphere regardless of situation

Nickelodeon

The mindset of match goers - and, again, the traveling crowd in particular - is simply very different from that of the long-distance fan. It's about so much more than watching pleasing (on the eye) football, and winning matches: it's about a sense of community, traveling with your mates, being part of something bigger - and so forth.

The first thing which comes to mind for someone who's a part of that isn't to wave white hankies at the first opportunity. It doesn't mean those people aren't aware of the fact that we're a bit shite - both in terms of the club's structure and in terms of what's unfolding in front of their eyes on the pitch.
Essentially, the gist I've got is that as long as players are on the pitch and doing one thing or the other, the support is going to be unwavering regardless of how shite they are or how clueless the management has been. All because going to matches becomes a community sort of thing and booing spoils everyone's mood. Maybe we actually don't have a fanbase who are demanding enough to actually make us one of the clubs determined to be at the top.

As for the mindset of an international fan, let me paint you a picture. Spending a good part of the last 15 years trying to find crappy streams to watch a League Cup or Europa League match till 4 in the morning when you have to be at work in another 4 hours is what makes up the effort part of it. Trying to create enough of savings that you can have a round trip to Manchester and watch a couple of matches at Old Trafford is going to take care of the spending money part of it. And when you protest against the extremely obvious circumstances, its being told that an international fan doesn't really understand what the club is about.There needs to be an understanding that the local match going fans also hold a privilege that millions of other fans around the world dream to have.

The original point of my posts was that as a fanbase (not just match going) why are we so accepting of mediocrity and I believe I've received my answer that most fans can't dream of booing the team and are happy to accept the failure as long they're able to see it with their mates.

RK

Hopefully never.

Some people support for the team for the joy of supporting the team

Some people want the team to win at all costs and feel a sense of entitlement despite contributing nothing to the club.

It's a whole spectrum but it's clear which of those better represents matchgoers and which better represents the Caf.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Truth of the matter is we shouldn’t really have to rely massively on the fans to get us out of this predicament by ‘booing’. The board should have enough nous to realise when a situation has gone sour or if it isn’t working out which they have failed to do manager after manager and waiting until it gets super toxic before they act. Wish they would all feck off. Instead it turns into this petty match day fan v arm chair fan battle and none of them come out of it looking sensible.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Maybe we actually don't have a fanbase who are demanding enough to actually make us one of the clubs determined to be at the top.
Well, that could be. But then again there is a huge difference between United and - to make the most obvious example - Real Madrid (white hankies and all): United's leadership aren't elected, they are much more distant and don't have to respond to fan reactions to the same extent (at all).

Alabaster Codify7

Haven't heard Oles at the wheel this season. It's strange to see someone who doesn't attend Old Trafford criticizing match going fans who spend their hard earned money to support their team whilst some fella who has probably never attended before behind a computer screen giving out. :lol:

"Every Single One Of Us Will Stand By David Moyes"

You keep singing lad! You keep crossing the palms with silver! Keep being a good, law-abiding consumer!

"Every Single One Of Us Will Stand By David Moyes Ole's Boys"

Sockpuppet, mate! Sockpuppet!

UpWithRivers

Hopefully never.

Some people support for the team for the joy of supporting the team

Some people want the team to win at all costs and feel a sense of entitlement despite contributing nothing to the club.

It's a whole spectrum but it's clear which of those better represents matchgoers and which better represents the Caf.
Dont get this at all. What joy do they get from being schooled by Shef Utd for 80 minutes? By getting beaten down year in year out. Its not just winning. Its being below your expectations. Where is the joy?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Haven't heard Oles at the wheel this season. It's strange to see someone who doesn't attend Old Trafford criticizing match going fans who spend their hard earned money to support their team whilst some fella who has probably never attended before behind a computer screen giving out. :lol:
I was at the Liverpool game and it was sung quite a lot.
Also, it costs a shit-ton to go to matches, especially if you are from another country.
The patronizing tone used towards fans that can't attend, as if it's a choice for most, is laughable.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Also, it costs a shit-ton to go to matches, especially if you are from another country.
The patronizing tone used towards fans that can't attend, as if it's a choice for most, is laughable.
Strange comment seeing as it was an absolutely ridiculous post criticising matchgoers that he was replying to - plus it's from someone living not that far from OT

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The match going fans never turned on Moyes. So they're not going to turn on Ole.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well, that's not great, or fair of course.

But what I don't like, is when fans who never go anywhere near the ground start telling those who do, how to act.

Alabaster Codify7

The match going fans never turned on Moyes. So they're not going to turn on Ole.

Yep, they proved just how much they know about football back in 2014, didn't they? Standing firmly by a manager who was a dead man walking for months but kept scraping last-minute chances for himself. I bet they feel the club made a huge mistake not sticking with ol' Moyesy, I mean, they even made a little banner for him and everything in the ground that wasn't in the slightest bit embarrassing to see, too.

Roboc7

They won’t turn, people don’t go to the games to turn on the manager, they go there to support the team and enjoy themselves.

They haven’t even turned on Woodward and the owners so chances of turning on Ole are zero.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Well, that's not great, or fair of course.

But what I don't like, is when fans who never go anywhere near the ground start telling those who do, how to act.
Yeah, that's terrible as well. There needs to be some respect both ways.

Strange comment seeing as it was an absolutely ridiculous post criticising matchgoers that he was replying to - plus it's from someone living not that far from OT
It's a pet peeve of mine, seeing locals or others look down upon fans who don't have the option of going to the games. That's why it seems strange to comment on it. I also came in without reading the conversation they were in and just reacted on his post. As stated above, I think it's terrible for people to tell match-goers how to act as well and would very much like to see the two set of fans get along better.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep, they proved just how much they know about football back in 2014, didn't they? Standing firmly by a manager who was a dead man walking for months but kept scraping last-minute chances for himself. I bet they feel the club made a huge mistake not sticking with ol' Moyesy, I mean, they even made a little banner for him and everything in the ground that wasn't in the slightest bit embarrassing to see, too.
There's a difference between supporting a manager and thinking he's doing well.
Noone thought the latter.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's a pet peeve of mine, seeing locals or others look down upon fans who don't have the option of going to the games. That's why it seems strange to comment on it. I also came in without reading the conversation they were in and just reacted on his post. As stated above, I think it's terrible for people to tell match-goers how to act as well and would very much like to see the two set of fans get along better.
The term "day tripper" is a phrase a lot of people use negatively.

Technically I'm just that, as I'd take the day to get there and back! I do have season tickets and have done for years, but in fairness 8-10 games a season is my max. Fair play to anyone who lives as far or further away who does all the games. I'd imagine you have to make it your "main" thing in life to do that.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The term "day tripper" is a phrase a lot of people use negatively.

Technically I'm just that, as I'd take the day to get there and back! I do have season tickets and have done for years, but in fairness 8-10 games a season is my max. Fair play to anyone who lives as far or further away who does all the games. I'd imagine you have to make it your "main" thing in life to do that.
Yeah, I know a guy who started a supporters club in order to be able to live in England so he could go to all/most games. I think a lot of people who use the term day-tripper negatively forgets how much it costs for people overseas to get to England and to stay there and go to the game. One trip can cost more than the most expensive season ticket for example.

Now I strongly think that all supporters, also the arm-chair folks should be respected by other supporters, and I think the negativity between the types of supporter is something that only creates negativity.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I actually see more criticism of matchgoers recently than the other way round - if you read back in this thread you will see.
I agree there is no need for it either way

Rams

As for the mindset of an international fan, let me paint you a picture. Spending a good part of the last 15 years trying to find crappy streams to watch a League Cup or Europa League match till 4 in the morning when you have to be at work in another 4 hours is what makes up the effort part of it. Trying to create enough of savings that you can have a round trip to Manchester and watch a couple of matches at Old Trafford is going to take care of the spending money part of it. And when you protest against the extremely obvious circumstances, its being told that an international fan doesn't really understand what the club is about.There needs to be an understanding that the local match going fans also hold a privilege that millions of other fans around the world dream to have.

The original point of my posts was that as a fanbase (not just match going) why are we so accepting of mediocrity and I believe I've received my answer that most fans can't dream of booing the team and are happy to accept the failure as long they're able to see it with their mates.
I’m not comparing international fans to the match going supporters. I’m saying that the match going fans who follow the club at great effort & cost all over England & Europe are entitled to their opinions. How much clearer can I put it? Let’s embrace their support. This is nothing to do with accepting the mediocrity of the current situation as you put it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The only thing embarrassing here are your idiotic posts, again you prove you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the views of those at Old Trafford (who are a large group covering lots of different views anyway)
FYI the banner was made by Stetford End Flags who are a relatively small group who are certainly not backed by the majority of matchgoers

Moyes was actually the one that Id say the majority of matchgoers wanted out, not that they actively showed it on mass in the ground in the way the OP is suggesting

Le Red

I expect there might be a few grumbles/ironic cheers at some of the senior players before long. Matic and Young might bear the brunt of it (unfairly perhaps???) as they seem to be the senior players that get singled out on these fan videos and on forums. The fans will rightly never turn on Ole but you might get a bit of Glazer discontent if things get worse.
If after the shit we've been served after all these years warrant "a bit of Glazer discontent", then I'm deeply ashamed of our match going fans, and, quite frankly, believe we actually deserve what we're going through.
They like to refer to fans who don't have the privilege to watch the games in loco as armchair supporters, but they are the ones making us all look like fools.
I'd rather a thousand times be called an armchair supporter than a top red. Top reds are the ultimate Glazer enablers.

Green_Red

Yea, I get this with lot of match going fans, or, supporters I like to call them.

The supporters don't need to stop going. They need to support the lads on the pitch and the management but voice their frustrations towards the board.
My opinion exactly the same. I think I can call myself a match going supporter now having been to 20+ home games in the last year.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The match going fans epitomise what it means to be a proper United fan. They show what it means to support this club, not the twitter dickheads.