Whenever van Gaal goes, Giggs should go too...

sugar_kane

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Fergie driving the groundswell of support for Giggs.

Amazing judge of players, terrible judge of managers - he should not be allowed to drive these decisions. I can see the Glazers and Woodward being heavily influenced by him due to their lack of football knowledge.

spwd

He's right. Giggs has gone through the trials and tribulations of suffering and hardship of being Assistant Manager at Manchester United. It's only fair that once you sacrifice so much in that role for 2.5 years, you earn the right to become manager.
I hope this is a wum :wenger:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pep Guardiola is an exceptional case. Barcelona were at the brink of introducing to the world some of the finest talents football had ever seen and suddenly the manager has left. It was only fair to give the person who was leading the youth academy at the time to be given a shot because an external manager may not appreciate those youths and screw everything up. It’s a bit like asking Eric Harrison to take over if SAF decided to leave the club before the class of 92 burst into scene.

Giggs situation will be totally different. The club had been badly managed for quite some time. The squad is not good enough and if you haven’t noticed we got the likes of Mcnair, Lingard and Blackett coming from the ranks and not Iniesta, Messi and Busquets. The team doesn’t need continuity but a big shake to the right direction. For Giggs sake I hope he doesn't get the job. Its not an easy job to start with

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don't get why he's criticised for getting of his bum and shouting orders against Norwich? I mean ffs someone had to say something, lvg clearly was going to just sit there on his fat arse

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Fergie driving the groundswell of support for Giggs.

Amazing judge of players, terrible judge of managers - he should not be allowed to drive these decisions. I can see the Glazers and Woodward being heavily influenced by him due to their lack of football knowledge.
To be fair, Fergie probably isn't the only figure within the club who's in favour of Giggs. I'm still all for him having an input, but that's what it should be: an input. He shouldn't be the sole, or even main figure, when it comes to choosing a manager. It should be a varied input between all the major figures involved in such a progress, and I'd certainly hope that they go into the process with an open mind and are willing to change their opinions.

MoskvaRed

If there is one person indisputably ahead of Giggs in the United pantheon, it's Bobby Charlton. When he wanted a managerial role, he went to Preston and showed that he didn't have much aptitude for role. So why the hell, 40 years on when the stakes involved are vastly higher, does anyone think Giggs has any kind of claim to managing United as his first job in management? Or why, for that matter, does he have some kind of moral claim on the no.2 position simply because he was great in a completely different job (playing), for which he was, in any case, amply rewarded in terms of money and trophies?

spwd

I said this earlier in the thread I'm especially interested what the pro Giggs guys feel about my jt/stevieme comments.

How about this novel idea. Giggs might potentially be the makings of a great manager. They do exist!!

Might be but he's shown zero proof so far so how about this novel idea, try taking an ACTUAL managers job somewhere else which would benefit him greatly and possibly us long term if he infact turns out to be the next pep, it's not like he won't take the job if he's proved it elsewhere.

Do you guys think stevieme or jt have it in them to be the next manager of United because that's basically what you are saying wanting Giggs, just because he's been a fantastic player for us doesn't mean he'd be a fantastic manager for us or anyone else, there's absolutely no proof!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Giggs needs to move on. It's not healthy for the club nor him. He's seriously deluded if he thinks he can take over Man United on a permanent basis with feck all knowledge and experience of the job of management. Someone needs to explain to him that there is an actual difference with being a player, and being a manager.

Also just read that not all the players want LVG out - just a certain faction - no doubt includes Rooney, Giggs, Carrick. If Giggs is in charge, we'll still have a division within the dressing room - how on earth is he going to manage something like that? More importantly, what other manager coming in is going to put up with 'grooming' Giggs?

He really needs to go. We ain't moving on with him and Rooney there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How lucky could Giggs be if he got the job. I mean what are the odds of being good enough to play for us for 25 years, and then also being deemed a gifted enough manager to step into what are basically SAF's shoes.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How lucky could Giggs be if he got the job. I mean what are the odds of being good enough to play for us for 25 years, and then also being deemed a gifted enough manager to step into what are basically SAF's shoes.
I don't know but this sentimental nonsense the board have will see us relegated.

spwd

And still nobody in the pro Giggs camp has answered my question :(

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
In terms of next manager, it really is a simple argument, as one of the biggest clubs in the world (if not the biggest) you simply do not take a risk on an unknown.

Should he move on once the axe finally falls on LVG, if he has any aspirations of becoming a United manager then yes for the aforementioned reason.

ZupZup

Just out of interest... I keep hearing the word 'risk' brought up when it comes to Giggs. It's a fair word to use though and I completely agree. Although the people who spout it do so as if the other options aren't a risk. For example, Jose isn't a risk. Does what has happened at Chelsea this season not tell you that he clearly is? I'm sure the same people were probably talking up Van Gaal's appointment at the time as being a safe option because of how he's won things in the past.

The Premier League is currently the most competitive top league in Europe and certainly the most challenging for any manager. No appointment United make will not have risk... Giggs, Jose or even Pep.

For a club that prides itself on giving youth a chance, the fans really do brick themselves at the thought of an untested manager at the helm. I even hear people saying Giggs isn't intelligent enough for the job. A player who lasted at the top of the game until he was near 40 and went from a flying winger to a central midfielder with an eye for a pass. Someone who has done all his coaching badges. What he doesn't know about football by now, you could write on a postage stamp. It might not be enough though, as much is true.

I am neither for or against at this stage... but IF however he did get put in charge, he'd have my full support like no other and I'd love nothing more than to see him and the club make a success of it. Unfortunately judging by a lot of comments I've read, most seem to have the knives out already... for one of our own. Sad.

LeftyBlaster

Just out of interest... I keep hearing the word 'risk' brought up when it comes to Giggs. It's a fair word to use though and I completely agree. Although the people who spout it do so as if the other options aren't a risk. For example, Jose isn't a risk. Does what has happened at Chelsea this season not tell you that he clearly is? I'm sure the same people were probably talking up Van Gaal's appointment at the time as being a safe option because of how he's won things in the past.

The Premier League is currently the most competitive top league in Europe and certainly the most challenging for any manager. No appointment United make will not have risk... Giggs, Jose or even Pep.

For a club that prides itself on giving youth a chance, the fans really do brick themselves at the thought of an untested manager at the helm. I even hear people saying Giggs isn't intelligent enough for the job. A player who lasted at the top of the game until he was near 40 and went from a flying winger to a central midfielder with an eye for a pass. Someone who has done all his coaching badges. What he doesn't know about football by now, you could write on a postage stamp. It might not be enough though, as much is true.

I am neither for or against at this stage... but IF however he did get put in charge, he'd have my full support like no other and I'd love nothing more than to see him and the club make a success of it. Unfortunately judging by a lot of comments I've read, most seem to have the knives out already... for one of our own. Sad.
Are you seriously comparing giving young players a shot in the first team to giving a completely untested manager the reins for a club in crisis?

I said it early in this thread and I'll say it again. It will be sheer and utter stupidity and insanity to hand Giggs the reins just like that. What has he proved? Nothing. How are some people so convinced that he's able to implement effective attacking football? The same people seem to believe that he'll be able to find a style that suits our players. Have we ever seen this in action? No. These misconceptions have only been formed from Giggs' press conference when he took over for 4 games and the fact that he was part of the class of '92. He has not proved a thing. Also, Giggs has been a common denominator in our decline since Moyes.

Mourinho is a risk because of his history of off-pitch antics. But he's also a proven winner on the continent and more importantly, in the EPL. Better him than Giggs. There is no place for sentimentality.

ZupZup

Are you seriously comparing giving young players a shot in the first team to giving a completely untested manager the reins for a club in crisis?
I'm just saying my piece... I have no interest in debating it to be honest. Most people seem to have the preconception that Giggs will fail. I'm neither for or against him being in charge so it'd all be a bit pointless. Only time will tell whether it would be a bad idea and that's a big 'if' because he may never be put in charge.

Gopher Brown

Obviously not but would you rather they just sit there looking uninterested?

I don't get why you'd want that
I'm for anything which is demonstrably effective, although I am aware that fans love empty gestures.

Giggs may as well have have slaughtered a goat and looked for tactics in its entrails.

Or prayed or something.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm for anything which is demonstrably effective, although I am aware that fans love empty gestures.

Giggs may as well have have slaughtered a goat and looked for tactics in its entrails.

Or prayed or something.
well I'd rather he did any of those things rather than sitting on his arse. Its called at least trying to influence a live game.

ZupZup

Or prayed or something.
His mere presence did increase the noise volume inside Old Trafford though which may be part of the reason he did it...

I wouldn't say getting fans behind the team is pointless?

spwd

Just out of interest...

But surely you realise pep or Maureen are far less of a risk than someone with no experience and as I have asked a few times but have been ignored so far, would you think jt/stevieme me would be good candidates for the job at Utd too or do you think they'd do a far worse job just because they didn't play for us?

And I don't see many saying they wouldn't support him if he got the job, just that he should try actually managing somewhere first and not just getting the job because he's a legend as a player!

ZupZup

But surely you realise pep or Maureen are far less of a risk than someone with no experience and as I have asked a few times but have been ignored so far, would you think jt/stevieme me would be good candidates for the job at Utd too or do you think they'd do a far worse job just because they didn't play for us?

And I don't see many saying they wouldn't support him if he got the job, just that he should try actually managing somewhere first and not just getting the job because he's a legend as a player!
Look, I don't know which option is the least risk. Give me the percentage of risk if you can? You can't because there is so much we don't actually know and it's not quantifiable. It's just theories and only hindsight will tell us with any option we take. Like I say, LVG was the safe option 18 months ago.

Not really sure why you keep mentioning Gerrard and JT? Have either of them even completed their coaching badges? What about me in charge? I've not done mine either... or perhaps the tea lady?

Jacob

I would consider letting Giggs show his Worth on one condition. If he plays his own style and not follow LvG

I miss the good old 4-4-2 days.

spwd

Look, I don't know which option is the least risk. Give me the percentage of risk if you can? You can't because there is so much we don't actually know and it's not quantifiable. It's just theories and only hindsight will tell us with any option we take. Like I say, LVG was the safe option 18 months ago.

Not really sure why you keep mentioning Gerrard and JT? Have either of them even completed their coaching badges? What about me in charge? I've not done mine either... or perhaps the tea lady?
But it's obvious Giggs is far more of a risk than a proven manager, if you can't see this I don't know what to say to you lol.

And I keep mentioning those two because they have the same experience as a manager as Giggs has bar 4 games, just because he played for us doesn't mean he would do a better job than those two that's what I'm saying, but nobody in their right mind would want them so the only reason Giggs should get the job over those two is the fact he played for us which has nothing to do with how good a manager you might be.

If he got the job everyone would be behind him including myself but there's absolutely no positive reason to do that other than he played for us.

ZupZup

But it's obvious Giggs is far more of a risk than a proven manager, if you can't see this I don't know what to say to you lol.

And I keep mentioning those two because they have the same experience as a manager as Giggs has bar 4 games, just because he played for us doesn't mean he would do a better job than those two that's what I'm saying, but nobody in their right mind would want them so the only reason Giggs should get the job over those two is the fact he played for us which has nothing to do with how good a manager you might be.

If he got the job everyone would be behind him including myself but there's absolutely no positive reason to do that other than he played for us.
So, you're saying Giggs is more risky because others have more coaching experience...

and JT and Gerrard would be no more risky than Giggs despite having not done their coaching badges or any coaching?

Having nodded along I now hope the penny drops and you realise how ridiculous your argument is.

spwd

I do believe that Jose and pep have a fair bit more MANAGERIAL experience (I didn't say coaching)than Giggs so they would obviously be less of a risk, but let's say what they did have their badges would they be any worse an appointment than Giggs because they have the same amount of managerial experience as him.

My argument is not silly and I believe you know exactly what I mean, the only difference between Giggs and those two if they had their badges is that he played for us, but if those two were suggested for the Utd job everyone would say that's ridiculous and the main reason would be because they have no experience not because of who they are.