Whenever van Gaal goes, Giggs should go too...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My opinion, unpopular as it is, is that Giggs should be let go to prove himself. We all talk about needing to wake up from the Fergie era and yet are willing to chance our club management when it is in clear decline to a man from that same era who has minimal experience at managing a club, who has been a common denominator in our problems for the past three seasons, and especially when there's a proven winner in Mourinho ready and available.

It will be madness to give him the reins simply because of this perception or misconception that Giggs likes and understands how to implement effective attacking play that will suit our players. Where in hell have people gotten this idea from other than his stewardship speech for four games? He hasn't proven jack.
That's actually the popular, and sensible, take on the matter.

ottosec

So Pep should have never been given the Barca job? It's not always so black and white.
You can't compare the two.

Pep was already doing great at their second team and the circumstances were very very different. Pep was taking over a team much better than almost every team in that league, a team that would finish in top 2 or 3 with pretty much every manager out there, they basically had nothing to lose if it didn't work out.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Moyes failing at United should never rule out any other lower table manager from growing into managing super clubs. I mean the likes of Ferguson, Ancelotti, Klopp and Mourinho started at the bottom and rose, Pochettino is looking like he is managing the step up to Spurs well. If that logic worked at all then people would never get promoted from CFO/COO to CEO or someone working at a tech start up would never get a job at Apple - people when they are well prepared grow with their responsibilities.

LVG was always a flawed genius whose stubbornness and abrasiveness had seen him run out of clubs like Bayern and Barcelona before. It's not like we weren't warned of this before he even set foot at Carrington. Also one could argue that his world class achievements were like twenty years ago, take those out and you are looking at a Benitezsque sort of career - very good to brilliant bits sprinkled with utter shit.
This! Jazz, itso 7 and several other posters tries to talk sense by using logical arguments.

The reason I don't want Giggs as a caretaker or a new manager is because he only has four games experience as a first team manager. I said it before in another thread that Sir Alex had twelve years as manager of different levels before coming to us. Using Pep as an argument is good but to be fair there is nothing in Giggs personality, past history as a assistant manager or anything else that suggest he's a born leader like Guardiola. Quite the opposite.

Some of you point out that his personal life has nothing to do with his job. I beg the difference. You can bet the tabloids will sooner or later fill the papers with sleesy details about his past. Not everybody bang his brothers wife for eights years, that's quite a achievement and like it or not a hint of this mans personality. Not only Mourinho can bring the circus to town.

Right now we can't afford another gamble.

ZDwyr

Yeah, Barca B. Talk about moving the goal post. One minute it's required that you take a tin pot club into Europe and win trophies, now it is success in what is basically the youth leagues. Let's hire Warren Joyce.
I'd almost prefer him to Giggs to be honest.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Some of you point out that his personal life has nothing to do with his job.
IMO, it has to be considered relevant, if only because our board may view Giggs' appointment as a PR coup (i.e. they believe United fans would view it as an immensly popular move); in reality, that's not really the case.

POF

It may not be the case but Giggs standing on the sideline bellowing orders for such a long time definitely seemed like an audition for the job to me. It wasn't a good look.

I actually think Giggs would work really well with Mourinho. They seem a more natural fit than Giggs and LVG.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Giggs should go. Otherwise the drama of him ready to take over will keep on distracting us.

The boards (saf and Charlton) will be divided whenever the results is not good.

Either give him the job or let him loose. Keeping him as am will only hinder the new manager job even further.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Giggs should go. Otherwise the drama of him ready to take over will keep on distracting us.

Either give him the job or let him loose. Keeping him as am will only hinder the new manager job even further.

United22

26:55 says everything you need to know about this situation. I've had more tactical and engaging team pickings in FIFA than in that room.

Minimalist

Listening to Souness talk about how it's clearly going to be Giggs taking over.

It's fecking depressing as an idea. Is this club full of morons at the top?

peridigm

I agree. It was a good experiment but it has failed. Hopefully he's still in talks with Swansea.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"'Ere, can I have a word with you, lads? If you're not too busy, like..."

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Actually, it almost always is that black and white. Pep is a one-off. To come to a big club and manage the way he did takes a special football mind.

We also don't have their level of talent in the team to enable us to take such a big risk.
We've got enough talent to be doing much better than we are. Plus we have the money to continue to build and add talented players.

Before Pep, everybody would have said it wasn't possible for an unproven guy to come in and do well. Now Pep has proven them wrong, they move the goal posts and claim Pep to be a one-off. Perhaps they will be proven wrong once again by Giggs? Nobody can say that he definitely would fail or do any worse than we already are. At least he understands expectations and would have the fans behind him fully.

MoskvaRed

Listening to Souness talk about how it's clearly going to be Giggs taking over.

It's fecking depressing as an idea. Is this club full of morons at the top?
The pundits were wrong about Moyes being safe for another 6-12 months so let's hope they are just as wide of the mark on this issue. If not, Fergie can add another series to his Harvard business lectures on how a market leader loses its way due to a failure to adapt to changing conditions. And maybe Ed can get Nokia to sponsor our shirts.

jem

I'm not sure it's a given that he'd have the players backing at all. Especially considering his squad mates are limited and probably the ones we'd have to bench.

The players may respect him as a player but they can't be confident in his managerial abilities. As soon as we went on a run of bad form i think we'd be in trouble.
The whole idea smacks of the misguided approach AC Milan took, hiring the likes of Seedorf and Inzaghi. In fact, it's very hard to shake the feeling that we could be heading the same direction as Milan (a very sad state for a once great team.)

MoskvaRed

We've got enough talent to be doing much better than we are. Plus we have the money to continue to build and add talented players.

Before Pep, everybody would have said it wasn't possible for an unproven guy to come in and do well. Now Pep has proven them wrong, they move the goal posts and claim Pep to be a one-off. Perhaps they will be proven wrong once again by Giggs? Nobody can say that he definitely would fail or do any worse than we already are. At least he understands expectations and would have the fans behind him fully.
We can't prove a negative but we can try to make a decision based on probable outcomes (for which we look at a large sample of great players who tried management). Looked at that way, Giggs is simply too great a risk, particularly when we really need to get the next appointment right after two failures.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We can't prove a negative but we can try to make a decision based on probable outcomes (for which we look at a large sample of great players who tried management). Looked at that way, Giggs is simply too great a risk, particularly when we really need to get the next appointment right after two failures.
That was the opinion after Moyes and many wanted Van Gaal. The fact is, nobody is a guarantee. I'm not even convinced that Pep would live up to the hype.

With Giggs, or even Neville, I think they have one thing going for them that would buy them time here. That is that they understand the club, the expectations, the pressures. I think most match going supporters would give their left nut right now just to see someone come in and try to play football as we expect it to be played here. If that happened, we'd be willing to give them time.

Lentwood

Like Mike Phelan?
How many without Google can name all assistant coaches at Baca, Real, Bayern etc.
And howcan you know Giggs isn't any good at his job? You have no idea how good he is as it isn't covered by the media, nor has anyone who works with him come out & stated he's not up to it.
Didn't say "Giggs wasn't up to the job" - I said he doesn't have the credentials. I don't know whether he is any good at the job, I have my doubts, based on his few games in charge last year and what I'm seeing on the pitch at the moment but there could be mitigating circumstances for both

I couldn't name the current assistants at those clubs, I'm not even certain I know who the Barca manager is, but I do know that I bet the likes of Benitez and Guardiola have their preferred assistant who they take from club to club

Btw just to clear up another thing - I'm in no way relating any of this to what happened against Norwich, I have never really rated Giggs and I hate the idea that we give "jobs for the boys" out to ex-players etc...who don't have the experience and/or quality

Hitchcocker

Just to clarify, when I created the thread, it was not based on the sentiment that Giggs was deserting a sinking ship or any of that sort. It is based on the sentiment that offering him a coaching job based on his stature is not beneficial for the club at this point. We can't end all arguments with "but it's the United way" at this moment. The belief that the club HAS to promote youth at all times is not one we can adhere to. Win first, then start with the integration of youth into the team.

People like pointing at Barca and how they can churn talent on a remarkable basis but it certainly relieves the youth of tactical pressure when you have a once-in-a-generation talent like Messi and Neymar in your team. We don't and until we do, we cannot fall back on the sentiment that "We've done it before, we'll do it again."

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

26:55 says everything you need to know about this situation. I've had more tactical and engaging team pickings in FIFA than in that room.
They couldn't have done a better job with a parody even if they brought in the biggest comedian brains in the world. This exactly proves my point Giggs should never be handed the job. It's actually even worse than I had ever imagined. I know things are on an extremely low level at times when it comes to the absolute top of the world athletes. I have had a couple of moments in my life where I have seen just exactly what goes on behind the curtains and they were not exactly impressive - but this clip is the winner. Absolutely horrifying. I need to sell my MU stocks tomorrow!!

Hamadovich86

This is what I just don't get. Would being a success at Swansea qualify him for the manager's job at Man Utd? Rodgers was a success at Swansea - should we have appointed him?
Is no managerial experience better than some managerial experience?

amolbhatia50k

This is what I just don't get. Would being a success at Swansea qualify him for the manager's job at Man Utd? Rodgers was a success at Swansea - should we have appointed him?
What is to hard to get? Does Giggs have to manage United after his first managerial job? If he does really well at Swansea he might get a chance at Spurs, Valencia, Everton etc. It's about progressing in field you're in and working is the way to do it. United is one of the biggest jobs in that field. LVG has gotten it because he's only gone and won 19 titles in his career. You don't have to win 19 titles to do it, but you have to prove yourself IMO.

There will be once in a generation freaks like Pep who break every norm but it's most likely Giggs is not one.

amolbhatia50k

Perhaps because Pep did it, every 3rd manager will be capable of doing a Pep? Maybe because Sir Alex did it, 26 year managerial stints will become the norm? (Exaggeration alert)

Look, there's very little chance of Giggs being that special. He'd have to have an extraordinary football mind. He doesn't come across as a Sir Alex type leader anyway. So, I have nothing to believe in with Giggs apart from the dream that maybe, possibly, somehow (pretty please!), he's a genius. But then again, maybe David Beckham is also one? Or Paul Ince? Or Gary Neville? How daft it would be of me to just go ahead of believe that one of these might be that special, just because they're famous for playing footy. I can only judge what I see and I see a novice wanting to manage a top club, and it being my club, I don't like the idea of it. Not one bit.

Devil may care

What is to hard to get? Does Giggs have to manage United after his first managerial job? If he does really well at Swansea he might get a chance at Spurs, Valencia, Everton etc. It's about progressing in field you're in and working is the way to do it. United is one of the biggest jobs in that field. LVG has gotten it because he's only gone and won 19 titles in his career. You don't have to win 19 titles to do it, but you have to prove yourself IMO.

There will be once in a generation freaks like Pep who break every norm but it's most likely Giggs is not one.
Exactly, I don'tget why some are in such a rush instead of giving him a few years to see what he's got. If he managed a Swansea and got them a top 10 finish a couple of seasons in a row, then did 3 or 4 seasons with Spurs or Everton where he bagged a cup and got a CL spot at least once it would show development potential to manage United.

Ixion

I've always held the belief that Ryan's chance at taking over is totally dependent on the success of Louis i.e. league title.
Hopefully that's how it is, it's how it should be. The plan was obviously for Van Gaal to establish us back in the top 4/Europe and challenge for the title and then he'd retire and we'd keep some continuity with Giggs and he'd maintain the progress. For the wheels to all fall off and still give control to Giggs would be crazy.

Giggsy92

I've always held the belief that Ryan's chance at taking over is totally dependent on the success of Louis i.e. league title.
Me too, which is why I never understand all the posters on here who think Giggs is somehow undermining LVG to get the job himself.

spwd

He can go out and assist Neville at Valencia.
I actually think that's a great idea.

Stupid thread. Giggs is the heart and sole of United. He should be the manager if anything.
With no experience or anything to show that he may be able to do it, ok!

Guy fecked his own brother's wife, fecking over his boss probably isn't that big a deal to him.
That's how I see it, if he's capable of doing that why would he even bat an eyelid over lvg.

This! Jazz, itso 7 and several other posters tries to talk sense by using logical arguments.

The reason I don't want Giggs as a caretaker or a new manager is because he only has four games experience as a first team manager. I said it before in another thread that Sir Alex had twelve years as manager of different levels before coming to us. Using Pep as an argument is good but to be fair there is nothing in Giggs personality, past history as a assistant manager or anything else that suggest he's a born leader like Guardiola. Quite the opposite.

Some of you point out that his personal life has nothing to do with his job. I beg the difference. You can bet the tabloids will sooner or later fill the papers with sleesy details about his past. Not everybody bang his brothers wife for eights years, that's quite a achievement and like it or not a hint of this mans personality. Not only Mourinho can bring the circus to town.

Right now we can't afford another gamble.
Completely agree.

How about this novel idea. Giggs might potentially be the makings of a great manager. They do exist!!
Might be but he's shown zero proof so far so how about this novel idea, try taking an ACTUAL managers job somewhere else which would benefit him greatly and possibly us long term if he infact turns out to be the next pep, it's not like he won't take the job if he's proved it elsewhere.

Do you guys think stevieme or jt have it in them to be the next manager of United because that's what you are saying wanting Giggs, just because he's been a fantastic player for us doesn't mean he'd be a fantastic manager for us or anyone else!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How about this novel idea. Giggs might potentially be the makings of a great manager. They do exist!!
He should prove himself elsewhere by becoming a manager somewhere else, win a couple of trophies and return. If he does that than I am all in favour of it. Manchester United is not a nursery for managers. It never was and it will never be. Its certainly not in the situation to be now especially considering our squad.

devilish

It is entirely possible. Nobody can say otherwise, though they will try. If Fergie thinks highly of him, that would be enough for me to give him a shot.
Well SAF spoke highly of Queroz, O Neill, Gaz and Moyes who were all named by the big man as potential Manchester United managers. Should we give them a shot too?

amolbhatia50k

devilish

He's right. Giggs has gone through the trials and tribulations of suffering and hardship of being Assistant Manager at Manchester United. It's only fair that once you sacrifice so much in that role for 2.5 years, you earn the right to become manager.
that sense of entitlement is what pisses me off big time at our club. It seems that the club owe our homegrown players something when in reality I believe its quite the opposite. We made them rich and famous and we stuck to them when no one wanted them any more.