Whenever van Gaal goes, Giggs should go too...

Red_toad

Errrrr.....isn't that EXACTLY what Sir Alex Ferguson does in his latest book? Or in his talks at Harvard University? Can't believe I am having to explain to adults why an Assistant Manager is an important job

What I said, if you read my post, is that he doesn't have the credentials. Which he doesn't. To be assistant manager at one of the biggest clubs in the world your CV should reflect that
Like Mike Phelan?
How many without Google can name all assistant coaches at Baca, Real, Bayern etc.
And howcan you know Giggs isn't any good at his job? You have no idea how good he is as it isn't covered by the media, nor has anyone who works with him come out & stated he's not up to it.

Red_toad

Giggs was totally shit when he was in charge last time around. "Play like Manchester united" "let the lads go out there and just enjoy it"... he knows shit about managing a football team!!! GO feck yourself Giggs, you're not getting the job. Over my dead body.
Hahaha :lol: contender for post of the year :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Like Mike Phelan?
How many without Google can name all assistant coaches at Baca, Real, Bayern etc.
And howcan you know Giggs isn't any good at his job? You have no idea how good he is as it isn't covered by the media, nor has anyone who works with him come out & stated he's not up to it.
THere's not one person who would write anything negative about Giggs in the media and you would be hard pressed to find anyone associated with football say anything wrong about him. Wenger atleast had a pop or two at Scholes before his retirement but Giggs, no. Hell he's been a serial adulterer including his sister in law in his conquests and not one opposition fan chanted anything obscene at him while the likes of Terry and Rooney took dog's abuse. That's just the way he carries himself. The ultimate boss.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
THere's not one person who would write anything negative about Giggs in the media and you would be hard pressed to find anyone associated with football say anything wrong about him. Wenger atleast had a pop or two at Scholes before his retirement but Giggs, no. Hell he's been a serial adulterer including his sister in law in his conquests and not one opposition fan chanted anything obscene at him while the likes of Terry and Rooney took dog's abuse. That's just the way he carries himself. The ultimate boss.
His sex life is none of our business, in matter of fact, some of the most brilliant minds in the worlds weren't exactly chaste.

Having said that the Manchester United's manager role is a well sought job and we can afford to be picky. No one gives a Ferrari to someone whose still training on a tricycle

Hamadovich86

I think Giggs will feel burned by him not being given the manager's job but I think its for the best that he goes to another club, say Swansea, and prove himself.

Ixion

I don't recall Sir Bobby Charlton becoming a top class manager and he played under Sir Matt. Brian Kidd was an ex-United player and was assistant to Sir Alex and look how good a manager he turned out to be.

Hamadovich86

Oh my how the Caf has turned. Everyone was praising LVG when he first appointed Giggs and criticising Moyes for not doing the same. Now he seems to be high on the enemy list.
I remember people criticizing Giggs' appointment in the sense that he was sorta forced upon van Gaal. I dont understand why Giggs would be on anyones enemy list; many fans dont think he has the credentials to win trophies (some fans think otherwise) and want someone whos a proven winner at club level.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't recall Sir Bobby Charlton becoming a top class manager and he played under Sir Matt. Brian Kidd was an ex-United player and was assistant to Sir Alex and look how good a manager he turned out to be.
This. 27 players that played under Fergie went on to become managers and not one of them is fit to manage a top team. Bruce and Hughes are probably the best of the bunch. The most popular, Robson and Keane have basically given up. What would make Giggs any different?

Speedicut75

I apologize if this point has been made earlier in the thread, and I seem to get the gist of what the consensus appears to be; and I do, also, endorse the idea that he needs to look elsewhere in the short term, but I wouldn't discount him managing here at some point in the future. I just feel that his elevation, at this juncture, to the role of manager, would be made massively more difficult if he takes over a "failing" ( relative term, I know ) team. I think it would be a major gamble to appoint a rank novice to the job and then also have an unrealistic expectation that he will be able to turn around a club which is not getting the results, with a squad that appears totally bereft of confidence.
Maybe, if things go tits up with LVG, it would be better if he did look for a position elsewhere to safeguard the credibility of his candidacy for a run at the manager's job at some time in the future?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sack Van Gaal Release Giggs

How has this taken 8 pages?

Rednotdead

I think Giggs will feel burned by him not being given the manager's job but I think its for the best that he goes to another club, say Swansea, and prove himself.
This is what I just don't get. Would being a success at Swansea qualify him for the manager's job at Man Utd? Rodgers was a success at Swansea - should we have appointed him?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This is what I just don't get. Would being a success at Swansea qualify him for the manager's job at Man Utd? Rodgers was a success at Swansea - should we have appointed him?
No, but it would open the door to a club like Everton, Tottenham or Southampton and if he does exceeding well there he'd be in a position tot get the united job on merit.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying go to Swansea, secure mid table a couple of times and he'll prove he's worthy for United. He's got to go to a club like Swansea, get them into the Champions League spots, play good football and win the League Cup or FA Cup.

Sound like bit of a tall order? Then he's not good enough for us. That's the level of Manager we require here.

Norris

Put him in charge of the youth team set up. Or the reserves.
So much nonsense has been said in this thread. Calling Giggs this and that is just so shameful. He's a bloody legend for god's sake. Like @nokillingmoths said, make him manager of the reserves or the youth team (Wasn't Pep in charge of the Barcelona B team) and see how he performs.

I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying go to Swansea, secure mid table a couple of times and he'll prove he's worthy for United. He's got to go to a club like Swansea, get them into the Champions League spots, play good football and win the League Cup or FA Cup.

Sound like bit of a tall order? Then he's not good enough for us. That's the level of Manager we require here.
Do you think even the likes of Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola or Ancelloti would be able to achieve that ? Of the three managers I mentioned, the one person I actually think could do it is Jose Mourinho (Simple because of how he guided Porto to CL, that is no small feat)

Smores

It would make him more qualified surely?
If the idea of appointing him after a season out managing another team is ridiculous then that's very telling of the any decision to give him the job now.

Dante

Average bang
Moyes had proven himself lower down the league, but didn't work out at United. He was never able to command respect as a big name, despite being an extremely clever man.

LvG proved himself with success on the continent, but hasn't worked out either. He was never able to command respect as a tactician, despite achieving success elsewhere in the past.

We need a manager who can command instant respect from prima donna footballers, and can have the side enjoying their football again. The fact is, we can buy the top players in the world. A halfway decent presence in the manager's seat will be more than sufficient for short term success. I have no idea if Giggs can get us to win the league, but he'll bump us up a level simply by virtue of the fact he's Ryan fecking Giggs.

Give him a couple of seasons to see if he's a top manager. He might win something or he might not, but he will at least arrest the decline. At worst, he'll be a 'van Gaal'-lite, but with a bit more adventure. We'll finish at least 4th because the players won't down tools the way they did under Moyes.

Skills

Snitch
He should obviously be out with Van Gaal. Next manager should be allowed to bring in whoever he wants, and if we're so desperate for continuity just hire a fecking director of football...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Moyes had proven himself lower down the league, but didn't work out at United. He was never able to command respect as a big name, despite being an extremely clever man.

LvG proved himself with success on the continent, but hasn't worked out either. He was never able to command respect as a tactician, despite achieving success elsewhere in the past.

We need a manager who can command instant respect from prima donna footballers, and can have the side enjoying their football again. The fact is, we can buy the top players in the world. A halfway decent presence in the manager's seat will be more than sufficient for short term success. I have no idea if Giggs can get us to win the league, but he'll bump us up a level simply by virtue of the fact he's Ryan fecking Giggs.

Give him a couple of seasons to see if he's a top manager. He might win something or he might not, but he will at least arrest the decline. At worst, he'll be a 'van Gaal'-lite, but with a bit more adventure. We'll finish at least 4th because the players won't down tools the way they did under Moyes.
What evidence do you have that Giggs would be able to do this? He has no managerial experience, so what are you basing this on?

Dante

Average bang
What evidence do you have that Giggs would be able to do this? He has no managerial experience, so what are you basing this on?
He'll have a huge team behind him helping him. Also, van Gaal has said he's agreed with all the ideas that Giggs has come up with during discussions. He's one of the most intelligent footballers I've ever watched and he's been preparing for this for years. It's a bit like a young player who's learned the ropes in the reserves rather than out on loan.

People thought LvG would be good because of past evidence, but his style was too alien to be a good fit for the club. Giggs likes to play in a way which suits the players. That alone will have a galvanising effect. Probably not enough for a title charge, but at least enough to get us playing as well as the sum of our parts.

Jazz

He'll have a huge team behind him helping him. Also, van Gaal has said he's agreed with all the ideas that Giggs has come up with during discussions. He's one of the most intelligent footballers I've ever watched and he's been preparing for this for years.
Intelligent football player on the pitch does not equate to intelligent manager. Also, if LVG really agreed with his ideas, then he might also have implemented some of them, right? If he did so, wouldn't Giggs be partly responsible for our shit performances?
Also, the people helping him behind the scenes might end up being his mates and sycophants - that does not equate to proper management. You need the right people around, not just a huge team because it could be a huge team of no marks with no clue as to how to help him. With no experience in management, how is Giggs going to identify who the right people are? That in itself is another skill that there is no evidence that Giggs has.

Dante

Average bang
Intelligent football player on the pitch does not equate to intelligent manager. Also, if LVG really agreed with his ideas, then he might also have implemented some of them, right? If he did so, wouldn't Giggs be partly responsible for our shit performances?
Also, the people helping him behind the scenes might end up being his mates and sycophants - that does not equate to proper management. You need the right people around, not just a huge team because it could be a huge team of no marks with no clue as to how to help him. With no experience in management, how is Giggs going to identify who the right people are? That in itself is another skill that there is no evidence that Giggs has.
You could raise the same questions about anyone. LvG was apparently a world class manager before he came here and Mourinho is currently a failure.

LvG is clearly too stubborn to want to play like Giggs did during his 4 game tenure. That much is obvious to see.

Smores

He'll have a huge team behind him helping him. Also, van Gaal has said he's agreed with all the ideas that Giggs has come up with during discussions. He's one of the most intelligent footballers I've ever watched and he's been preparing for this for years. It's a bit like a young player who's learned the ropes in the reserves rather than out on loan.

People thought LvG would be good because of past evidence, but his style was too alien to be a good fit for the club. Giggs likes to play in a way which suits the players. That alone will have a galvanising effect. Probably not enough for a title charge, but at least enough to get us playing as well as the sum of our parts.
I'm not sure it's a given that he'd have the players backing at all. Especially considering his squad mates are limited and probably the ones we'd have to bench.

The players may respect him as a player but they can't be confident in his managerial abilities. As soon as we went on a run of bad form i think we'd be in trouble.

Jazz

You could raise the same questions about anyone. LvG was apparently a world class manager before he came here and Mourinho is currently a failure.

LvG is clearly too stubborn to want to play like Giggs did during his 4 game tenure. That much is obvious to see.
I think you're missing the point. Besides, the conversation has nothing to do with LVG or Mourinho - it's Giggs' ability that's the issue. LVG and Mourinho have something you can point to - if it doesn't work out at one club or the other for them, that's life. But you are basing your suppositions on a man that has nothing to recommend him at all except he was a great player. Surely that is illogical? We are not in a good place to hand things over to an apprentice. Let him go prove himself elsewhere.

itso 7

It would make him more qualified surely?
If the idea of appointing him after a season out managing another team is ridiculous then that's very telling of the any decision to give him the job now.
This is something people are overlooking, if success at Swansea isn't enough then surely now, when he doesn't even have that, he shouldn't be anywhere near the list of potential Man Utd managers.

Dante

Average bang
I think you're missing the point. Besides, the conversation has nothing to do with LVG or Mourinho - it's Giggs' ability that's the issue. LVG and Mourinho have something you can point to - if it doesn't work out at one club or the other for them, that's life. But you are basing your suppositions on a man that has nothing to recommend him at all except he was a great player. Surely that is illogical? We are not in a good place to hand things over to an apprentice. Let him go prove himself elsewhere.
He'll only get the job if LvG, the current coaching staff and the players all vouch for him. So far, they've said nothing but good things. If that gets repeated in private as well, he'll have the confidence of the squad and the Glazers will appoint him. At the end of the day, it was the playing staff's confidence that betrayed both Moyes and LvG. It's the main thing missing from the side at the moment. We'd be fine if we stopped playing within ourselves.

I'm not saying Giggs has the x-factor that can take a squad from decent to great. But I think in the short term, he has the personality to make it at least decent again. Loosen the reins and we'll get 4th without too much bother. There's too much quality not to, if everyone pulls their weight. If he does better than that, then whoop-di-do.

Jazz

He'll only get the job if LvG, the current coaching staff and the players all vouch for him. So far, they've said nothing but good things. If that gets repeated in private as well, he'll have the confidence of the squad and the Glazers will appoint him. At the end of the day, it was the playing staff's confidence that betrayed both Moyes and LvG. It's the main thing missing from the side at the moment. We'd be fine if we stopped playing within ourselves.

I'm not saying Giggs has the x-factor that can take a squad from decent to great. But I think in the short term, he has the personality to make it at least decent again. Loosen the reins and we'll get 4th without too much bother. There's too much quality not to, if everyone pulls their weight. If he does better than that, then whoop-di-do.
Doubt LVG will vouch for him anymore as he's getting sacked and has no need to be politically correct with Giggs. Some of the players will like him - meaning his ex teammates - don't think the other players will think much of him. And my last point - Giggs has no personality and cannot inspire an ant - never has he shown this, so I would be very surprised if he got everyone to pull their weight.
In any case, we'll see if he proves me wrong.

ZupZup

Reading this thread is pretty disgusting for the most part.

I can only hope that if LVG does go, they do give it Giggs till the end of the season and all those bad mouthing him and accusing him of being a 'rat' or 'jumping ship' can do the club a favour and get themselves a City shirt.

itso 7

Moyes failing at United should never rule out any other lower table manager from growing into managing super clubs. I mean the likes of Ferguson, Ancelotti, Klopp and Mourinho started at the bottom and rose, Pochettino is looking like he is managing the step up to Spurs well. If that logic worked at all then people would never get promoted from CFO/COO to CEO or someone working at a tech start up would never get a job at Apple - people when they are well prepared grow with their responsibilities.

LVG was always a flawed genius whose stubbornness and abrasiveness had seen him run out of clubs like Bayern and Barcelona before. It's not like we weren't warned of this before he even set foot at Carrington. Also one could argue that his world class achievements were like twenty years ago, take those out and you are looking at a Benitezsque sort of career - very good to brilliant bits sprinkled with utter shit.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Reading this thread is pretty disgusting for the most part.

I can only hope that if LVG does go, they do give it Giggs till the end of the season and all those bad mouthing him and accusing him of being a 'rat' or 'jumping ship' can do the club a favour and get themselves a City shirt.
Are you a commercial officer for Manchester City?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

So Pep should have never been given the Barca job? It's not always so black and white.

LeftyBlaster

My opinion, unpopular as it is, is that Giggs should be let go to prove himself. We all talk about needing to wake up from the Fergie era and yet are willing to chance our club management when it is in clear decline to a man from that same era who has minimal experience at managing a club, who has been a common denominator in our problems for the past three seasons, and especially when there's a proven winner in Mourinho ready and available.

It will be madness to give him the reins simply because of this perception or misconception that Giggs likes and understands how to implement effective attacking play that will suit our players. Where in hell have people gotten this idea from other than his stewardship speech for four games? He hasn't proven jack.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So Pep should have never been given the Barca job? It's not always so black and white.
Pep did a fantastic job in charge of Barca B. The only thing Giggs has been in charge of is Microsoft Power Point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Giggs is Pep's equal than he should be named manager, but is he? Since most fans don't know what Giggs is, they decided to be cautious.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Actually, it almost always is that black and white. Pep is a one-off. To come to a big club and manage the way he did takes a special football mind.

We also don't have their level of talent in the team to enable us to take such a big risk.