Where does Pogba fit in?

James Ward

Bruno or Maguire won't put up with his antics with his hands in the air and not tracking back. They will absolutely slate him.

People say he should be first name on the team sheet but what has he done the last few years? Sulk.

Pogba on his day is one of the best in the World but his attitude absolutely stinks thinking he is better than everyone around him and can become quite lazy.

If it comes down to keeping Pogba or singing Jordan Sancho I would say cash in and get Sancho.

Left with Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic and probably Grealish in midfield when Villa go down. One more smart midfield singing needed as well.

Why his attitude is so bad I'll never know. I'd say there's allready an agreement with PSG or Madrid.

Gasolin

Perhaps Bruno + Pogba + Fred?
I want to see that, but Pogba need to prove his commitment first. If he doesn't bother to show up, it doesn't; affect us much anymore I guess. Just selll him for highest bidder, hopefully for 120m+.
He did say Manchester was Red on Instagram though! :lol:

Gasolin

Bruno or Maguire won't put up with his antics with his hands in the air and not tracking back. They will absolutely slate him.

People say he should be first name on the team sheet but what has he done the last few years? Sulk.

Pogba on his day is one of the best in the World but his attitude absolutely stinks thinking he is better than everyone around him and can become quite lazy.

If it comes down to keeping Pogba or singing Jordan Sancho I would say cash in and get Sancho.

Left with Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic and probably Grealish in midfield when Villa go down. One more smart midfield singing needed as well.

Why his attitude is so bad I'll never know. I'd say there's allready an agreement with PSG or Madrid.
Conte raised Pogba from a young player to a special player. I think Ole needs to be strong on Pogba the same way.
It's the only thing he will understand.

Anyway, didn't he play with Pirlo and Vidal?

Maybe we can indeed achieve something between Fred, Bruno and Pogba.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Agree we should sell him for his lack of commitment to the club, and on some occasion his attitude is really sulk. But overall he has really been our best player last season, and he was voted player of tournament too when we won Europa cup, so he has done quite a few things with us. But a player of his talent should be able to do more, he has not exactly meet our high expectation of him. (I am expecting we are getting De Bruyne level of performance instead)

zenith

Pogba cannot displace one of matic, Fred or Bruno at this point of time. The only place I can see him fitting in, is on the left side of the front 3, as a sort of rashford replacement.

He has the pace and creativity to play that position and can link up with bruno seamlessly, as well as switching with martial.

cedara

As long as Raiola is still his agent, I dont think he is gonna be part of the team. How the feck he is thinking? While the whole team is fighting/struggling for a spot of 4th, and you let your agent told the to wold that you want to leave?

Gasolin

As long as Raiola is still his agent, I dont think he is gonna be part of the team. How the feck he is thinking? While the whole team is fighting/struggling for a spot of 4th, and you let your agent told the to wold that you want to leave?
It's more his brother, no? Well Pogba will be back. What happens on the pitch is special and Pogba will want to see what happens when he plays with that team right now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Pogba plays then it means Fred is our DM and I much prefer Matic there. Fred's energy levels are vital for us in terms of pressing but also passing it quickly.

Fred can sometimes carry the ball way too much and get disposessed too, I don't want that kinda risk at the DM.
Pogba has a lot to prove to displace any of the current midfielders.

I would much prefer in the front three with a bit of freedom so that he could link up with Bruno and Martial while staying on the left when defending

tjb

It's more his brother, no? Well Pogba will be back. What happens on the pitch is special and Pogba will want to see what happens when he plays with that team right now.
I could believe his agent skewing things for him, but not his brother. The fact that his brother has come out on several occasions to discuss about how united is not a happy place for pogba suggests a lot of legitimacy in this. Mourinho has problems, but the warfare with Pogba was on Pogba. Pogba caused that and disrespected him and the club even when he tried to quash their issues by making him deputy captain. Mourinho has left since, but the noise has still continued. Anyone with dignity running the club would never allow Pogba to remain considering all that has happened since 2018, even at a reduced fee. Some fans don't understand the impact a negative influence can have on a dressing room, especially with a player with the large personality of Pogba. I do not blame him from wanting to move on, but I also do not think we should be desperate to keep him. It smells like Rooney 2014 all over again, and Pogba has not done nearly enough to receive Rooney's leeway.

Full bodied red

Enough's enough with PP.

He and his brother and his agent and his chauffeur and his house maid and his arse wiper and his gardener and his publicist and his hairdresser have all made it clear he wants away from OT.

It would be stupid beyond belief to ignore them all and keep him against his will when we seem to have enough decent midfielders who actually want to be at OT.

MadMike

If Pogba plays then it means Fred is our DM and I much prefer Matic there. Fred's energy levels are vital for us in terms of pressing but also passing it quickly.
Not necessarily. We played diamond against Everton away and for 45 mins at least it worked great. Our second halves tend to be shit whatever system we play, as our in-game management and subs tend to be poor, so I wouldn't necessarily discredit it based on that.

Matic, Fred, Pogba and Bruno could easily play that system with Martial +1 upfront (James or Ighalo probs). I'd like to see it anyway, especially when Rashford makes a return as well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not necessarily. We played diamond against Everton away and for 45 mins at least it worked great. Our second halves tend to be shit whatever system we play, as our in-game management and subs tend to be poor, so I wouldn't necessarily discredit it based on that.

Matic, Fred, Pogba and Bruno could easily play that system with Martial +1 upfront (James or Ighalo probs). I'd like to see it anyway, especially when Rashford makes a return as well.
We may not be talking about the same formation but we share the general idea that Pogba shouldn't replace any of Fred/Matic/Bruno.
The rest is for Ole to figure out in terms of tactics

MadMike

We may not be talking about the same formation but we share the general idea that Pogba shouldn't replace any of Fred/Matic/Bruno.
The rest is for Ole to figure out in terms of tactics
Yeah pretty much. I think in games we dominate against bottom half teams, Matic might not be as essential from those 3. But I wouldn't go into any serious game without him at the moment.

Like I said I'd like to see something like this in the near future...

-----------Matic-------------
----Fred-------Pogba----
-----------Bruno------------
--Martial---Rashford--

It gets our strongest players on the pitch together.

TRUERED89

Sorry to be a pr!ck but the typo's were bothering me, it's signing and Jadon :).

TrustInOle

Pogba and Fernandes can both play in midfield. They’ll make a massive difference in the exact games we’ve struggled for goals in this season.
Exactly this! I am so hyped to see him and Bruno together, gonna be a joy.

TrustInOle

Fred can sometimes carry the ball way too much and get disposessed too, I don't want that kinda risk at the DM.
Pogba has a lot to prove to displace any of the current midfielders.

I would much prefer in the front three with a bit of freedom so that he could link up with Bruno and Martial while staying on the left when defending
I feel the reason Ole is sticking to the back 3 or experimenting with the diamond is to employ Pogba in this set up. The 3 at the back give Pogba the assurances to not be constantly aware of his defensive misgivings whilst being in a midfield 2. Where as the Diamond is pretty self explanatory and the ideal set up to incorporate Matic, Fred, Pogba and Bruno against the smaller fodder. You can see the plan is there and the team is following suit, time to see if Paul gel to. Despite everybody's fears and anger, a team with Pogba and Bruno has exceptional potential.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There's more to being a Manchester United player than ability, or there should be.
Correct. Being a Manchester United player requires a certain character and mentally.

McTominay is a good example.
He is absolutely a classic Sir Alex player.
He will do anything and everything to help United win.

The question is what is Pogba's character and mentally.
If not 100% then goodbye.

Stacks

We’re starting to play the best football we’ve played for years. Who wouldn’t you leave out to bring him in?
Anyone except Bruno. Pogba gets games for France and played in one of the best midfields with Juve a few seasons ago and none of these current lads can match that level.

10 games unbeaten and getting clean sheets with our new attacking midfielder settling in very well, scoring and creating.

You would need to be a colossal idiot to want Pogba's peacocking thrown back into the team now.
I am he
We need balance, and he will disrupt that. He can’t play in the midfield two, as he gets exposed when he dawdles on the ball. I’d want to see players with commitment playing.
did so in winning a world cup. Also better at that role for us than Bruno.

I agree. Don't mess with the balance we've got in the middle. He can be important in breaking down the weaker sides in the remaining fixtures.
we can be balanced with him. If anything we need more creativity.

SER19

Hasn't played a good game in 12 calender months. A year of shit or injury. He should rejoin on merit only

Josep Dowling

Anyone except Bruno. Pogba gets games for France and played in one of the best midfields with Juve a few seasons ago and none of these current lads can match that level.

I am he

did so in winning a world cup. Also better at that role for us than Bruno.

we can be balanced with him. If anything we need more creativity.
Played 8 games next to Kante who did all the defensive work.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Correct. Being a Manchester United player requires a certain character and mentally.

McTominay plays every game as though it might be his last, and he's going to struggle to get back in a s a regular starter in the team at the minute so well are Matic, Fred, and Fernandes are doing , yet many would have Pogba in before him, the mind truly boggles.

freddie the red

Ole says over and over what he sees in his current squad, those that are in day after day......

Attitude
Belief
Commitment
Desire
Energy
etc., etc.........

Does anybody seriously believe Pogba fits in with those attributes because I don't.
I firmly believe that the reason why people like me are SO fed up with him is because his on the field "efforts" have consistently fallen well below his ability and potential and his and his agent's off the field antics are nothing short of disrespectful towards his employers, colleagues and the club's fans.
Wouldn't bother me of he never wore the shirt again.......leopards and spots and all that.

cyril C

McTominay plays every game as though it might be his last, and he's going to struggle to get back in a s a regular starter in the team at the minute so well are Matic, Fred, and Fernandes are doing , yet many would have Pogba in before him, the mind truly boggles.
Sorry, many would have Pogba not just ahead of McTom, but ahead of Fred. or change the formation to accommodate Pogba into the 11...

meamth

Almost everyone asking will he leave or not, while I'm here waiting for his training pictures with bruno and Martial.

Maticmaker

According to a Google news brief this morning Pogba has said he is now willing to commit his future to United, that he wants to play alongside Bruno and he would like an extension to his contract!
It seems Paul has discovered the old adage... "don't stay away too long ,they might find that they can do without you"

greendevil

Hopefully fitted into a seat on a private jet out of Manchester to any club daft enough to pay us about £120 million for him on opening day of the transfer window so it can be used to buy players that would help us. Ability to be one of the best players in the world but has no consistency and this "injury" shows what hes about. Fergie was right the first time around. Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 are leagues where you can get away with being 80% in games and that would suit him, no place to hide in the Premier league especially when your a marquee player.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Pogba may change and adapt. Who knows. I am just a tad doubtful to him upping his workrate to fit the current United profile, but if he actually DOES, and works hard like the others and runs 10+ kms per game then I would be happy to have such a gifted player in the team. If he is to jog around and only participate on the offensive and have mood swings then I say no.

Time will show. I think he should give his all and work his socks of to show the fans and Ole that he really wants to be a part of the new United. It would benefit both him and the club. His talent was never in doubt. Would be a scary midfield if he upped his workrate and improved his mentality. Will be interesting to see him, Fred and Bruno on the midfield together!

jamesjimmybyrondean

...... Matic.....

Fred....... Pogba

....... Bruno.....

The diamond actually has our midfielders in their best positions. It's the only way i see Pogba playing without disrupting the balance of our current midfield that has us conceding much less and scoring much more

romufc

...... Matic.....

Fred....... Pogba

....... Bruno.....

The diamond actually has our midfielders in their best positions. It's the only way i see Pogba playing without disrupting the balance of our current midfield that has us conceding much less and scoring much more
Fred's best position is right hand side of diamond?

Who is going to track the Right back?

The diamond is such an open formation, where is the width in the team then?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pogba replaces Fred in the double pivot, harsh as it is. You could have Fred or McTominay instead of Matic but I think that costs the team defensive balance. I’m curious to see how not having someone as energetic as Fred alongside Matic would affect his resurgent performances. I do wonder if we’ll experiment with Matic as a DLP and Pogba and Fernandes as advanced 8s, possibly a bit late in the season to be experimenting with new formations though.

the chameleon

Bringing Pogba back sends the wrong message to we’re trying build. He might 6 foot 4 inches but Pogba is mentally a midget.

No player should be able to waltz back in the side after all his off pitch drama. Him and his obese agent thought they would walk all over us, but now realise that he’s not perceived by other top clubs as good as he thinks he is.

I want him out and replaced with players that genuinely want to play for Man Utd.

fps

He'd fit in as lcm in a diamond with Bruno as a 10. For example:

DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Bruno
Ighalo-Martial
You lose work rate and mobility exposing that side of midfield.

the chameleon

Pogba replaces Fred in the double pivot, harsh as it is. You could have Fred or McTominay instead of Matic but I think that costs the team defensive balance. I’m curious to see how not having someone as energetic as Fred alongside Matic would affect his resurgent performances. I do wonder if we’ll experiment with Matic as a DLP and Pogba and Fernandes as advanced 8s, possibly a bit late in the season to be experimenting with new formations though.
I think Fred is too important to drop. That work rate is what makes us tick. You can’t drop a energiser bunny for a individualistic talented / lazy player like Pogba. That exposes Matic’s vulnerable side. Pogba in the team is redundant. He might score 16 goals a season but the team won’t thrive as a collective.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Fred is too important to drop. That work rate is what makes us tick. You can’t drop a energiser bunny for a individualistic talented / lazy player like Pogba. That exposes Matic’s vulnerable side. Pogba in the team is redundant. He might score 16 goals a season but the team won’t thrive as a collective.
Fair points, I just think a player like Pogba is far too good to be left on the bench, the passing ability he possesses from deep would add a whole new dimension to our game, especially with Fernandes there too.