Which CB would you sign this Summer?

Which CB would you sign this Summer?

• Total voters

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Vertonghen and Jones in CB would be high entertainment, it could go excellently well or horribly wrong but it will be high entertainment value either way.

Mister Ed

Hummels as in the same world where we could also sign Vincent Kompany, Thiago Silva or even Ronaldo or Messi while we are at it.

Completley unrealistic target for me. Dortmund have said (repeatdley) they don't want to sell, He said he isn't planning on leaving and he also said he would prefer to stay in Germany if he ever made a move from Dortmund. Fully expect him to end up at Bayern Munchen at some point in his career. Sure I want him, I want many things, but I don't get them all, and I sure won't get that Hummels signing. So if I were in charge, I wouldn't waste my energy on trying, go for someone more reliastic.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Smalling and Jones as the first choice player with Evans as the backup, can play left fullback. Promote Michael Keane into the mix.
We better hope we sign a top class holding midfielder if that's the plan.

KanieKaned

Smalling and Jones as the first choice player with Evans as the backup, can play left fullback. Promote Michael Keane into the mix.
Really? Do you think there is enough experience there for next season?

I'd worry slightly with the injury records of everyone bar Keane. We need at least one more experienced centre half.

goldenstatesplash

Really? Do you think there is enough experience there for next season?

I'd worry slightly with the injury records of everyone bar Keane. We need at least one more experienced centre half.
There is only one way to find out. I'm not saying that we will definitely go with that but if my hypothetical balls were on the line I'd roll the dice. I think they're good enough in those positions to build as first choice. Evans is the only one that worries me, I don't think he's good enough to be first choice with a bought in worldy and CS/PJ in the mix. I also don't think he copes well with the 'step in' role. He takes an age to get going into form.

Canuckred64

I voted for Hummels, but am interesting in seeing how good the two young Dutch CB's preform at the World Cup. If they look good enough maybe Van Gaal has some influence with them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm looking for a top class CB near his peak who is very comfortable on the ball. Has to be Hummels doesn't it?

Of course he looks to be a very unrealistic target we almost certainly won't get but still, he's the dream choice.

Depending on our current CBs would be madness. None of them have yet proven that they are a) good enough to be key players at the club or b) able to stay injury free consistently.

Fairly sure most neutrals would rate Badstuber far higher than any of our CBs too, btw.

Baxter

Benatia is the best on that list but I don't think we'll pay €40m for him.

NMF

Benatia is the best on that list but I don't think we'll pay €40m for him.
He'd be worth every penny though. But that money needs to go towards some midfielders.

KanieKaned

There is only one way to find out. I'm not saying that we will definitely go with that but if my hypothetical balls were on the line I'd roll the dice. I think they're good enough in those positions to build as first choice. Evans is the only one that worries me, I don't think he's good enough to be first choice with a bought in worldy and CS/PJ in the mix. I also don't think he copes well with the 'step in' role. He takes an age to get going into form.
Yeah fair comment. Personally Jones and Smalling worry me fitness wise. Jones has a tendency to wreck himself at least once a game. Smalling is still a bit nervous for me at times although he has shown at times that he can certainly be capable. I just think at this moment in time one more defender and we should be fine cos we do have a tendency to lose defenders nice and early into the season.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Miranda has thrown some more fuel on the fire. He's told the Brazilian press that clubs in England and Spain are after him, pointed out that his release clause is €30m, "but that's negotiable," and that his representative is, "in Europe," trying to resolve his future either with Atletico or another club.

Incidentally he's not in the Brazil squad, so he's one who the WC schedule doesn't affect him so much. Perhaps.

Marca throw in the comment that he's asked Atletico to let him go and that us and Barca are the two main bidders, but those specifics don't come from his interview comments.

goldenstatesplash

Yeah fair comment. Personally Jones and Smalling worry me fitness wise. Jones has a tendency to wreck himself at least once a game. Smalling is still a bit nervous for me at times although he has shown at times that he can certainly be capable. I just think at this moment in time one more defender and we should be fine cos we do have a tendency to lose defenders nice and early into the season.
I share your worry. Jones seems to get injured in reckless ways and Smalling picks up niggles and it doesn't help. I do think as a combination though, Smalling and Jones are the 'it' pair. When Nemanja and Rio were here I'd get worried when we played 'Rio-Smalling', 'Evans-Rio-Smalling' because of their similar style. It always needed to be 'Nemanja/Jones - Rio/Evans/Smalling' and never any from the same combination.

goin4glory

From reading reports on other clubs and their transfer priorities this summer I think we could end up being linked to and competing with Barca over a few of the top CB options like Benatia/Mangala/Hummels etc It's common knowledge they need at least 1 new CB to replace Puyol and with the impending ban could sign 2, maybe a Barcafan could enlighten me on what's likely to happen? I think it's important that we prioritise this position for our next movement in the window whilst Barca are still in negotiations with Liverpool over Suarez because I have faith that LVG and Woodward can get a deal done for these guys but if it's a choice between us and Barca we'll lose out. Timing is everything.

Nickosaur

Hummels is the obvious choice, but extremely unlikely. Benatia is probably not far off Mats' level, but he seems to be closer to a move to City. Vertonghen is versatile, PL proven but Spurs would be notoriously difficult to deal with. Mangala looks a talent, but is still relatively unproven considering how much he would cost. Garay has been sold, and I've not been convinced by him anyway. De Vrij and Martins Indi are Dutch. If they weren't, I doubt we'd be linked.

Marquinhos or Hummels would be my dream choices, but Barca will get Marq and Hummels will stay. Think Miranda could still be on our radar.

Suus

I've voted for Vertonghen, as he's a possible get and an experienced Premier League defender. I'd settle for Vermaelen if he's not higher than £10m.

I could be talked into going for Bonucci or Chiellini, however unlikely.

I see City going for Benatia and Mangala, I just dont see them as possible gets for us. And with our current defenders, we dont really need younger players but more experiened ones.

C'est Moi Cantona

I've voted for Vertonghen, as he's a possible get and an experienced Premier League defender. I'd settle for Vermaelen if he's not higher than £10m.

I could be talked into going for Bonucci or Chiellini, however unlikely.

I see City going for Benatia and Mangala, I just dont see them as possible gets for us. And with our current defenders, we dont really need younger players but more experiened ones.

Agree like Vertonghen alot, certainly see us having a go at getting him at some point.

By all account Mangala doesn't fancy City, but might be the only ones willing to pay the fee, would far rather Benatia out of the two.

red_7

to choose Hummels of them mentioned is a no-brainer but he is most certainly staying at Dortmund. Benatia has never been mentioned as a potential taget so I'd say we are not after him.

I really fear we get Vermaelen and de Vrij seems the best we can hope for (and that is far from the quality we need and hope for at the back but he is at least young and could develop under LvG). Mangala? I don't understand the hype but maybe I'm wrong here...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I personally want to see us put faith in Jones and Smalling

buckooo1978

Yeah I agree - give them 20 games playing behind a strong midfield in a confident team and we will see the best of them

Thing I worry about with their partnership is the constant injuries Jones picks up which disrupts any potential partnership

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd rather see Evans and Smalling. I think Jones has the capacity to be a better player individually than Evans, but Evans and Smalling has the makings to be a better partnership - which speaking for CB's tends to trump. I also remember throughout the season when Evans and Smalling started together as the CB's I've had a lot more assurance, and I'm sure we've been relatively solid in the games those two played together.

ravi2

As nice a notion that may be to consider, I think Jones and Smalling are a bit too injury prone to both be first teamers at the moment. I know Evans can slot in and do a fine job but it still leaves us threadbare at the back. I think we need a big, commanding presence in the defense.

Its really a shame Vidic left us a year too soon but such is life.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hummels is the best of them followed by Benatia but we won't sign either of them. I wouldn't mind a cheap signing like De Vrij or Martins Indi to be fair, I think we have three very talented young centre halves already at the club and I'd rather we spent big to address other issues (defensive midfielder and a winger) still present in our squad.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Jones, Smalling and Evans are nowhere near good enough to be starting centre backs for us, they're squad players at best IMO. Not to mention they are also all made of glass.

Jones- He flies into stupid unnecessary tackles without even thinking, which results in too many injuries which will obviously stunt his development. His fault not the clubs. He is brilliant at man marking, but that's about it. He needs to develop a footballing brain, he is still young though and I think with an experienced world class centre back next to him, he will be able to make the step up. Pairing him with Smalling is suicide and will cost us many more points than it's worth.

Smalling- He's almost 25 (The same age as Hummels) and is nowhere near his level, not even close. His positioning is awful and always gives silly fouls near our penalty area which can result in chances for the opposition. He is a good Ariel threat though and can provide some danger during set pieces, but I don't think he's really improved at all since we bought him.

Evans- He is our best current centre back and is always injured (haha). He has a brilliant footballing brain with great ball distribution, I would start with Evans going into to the new season, if we are only going to purchase one CB signing.

We had a near perfect defence just a few years ago, with Ferdinand and Vidic forming one of the greatest defensive partnerships of all time. (I think there clean sheet record hasn't been touched). Both were world class, that is the keyword, WORLD CLASS. We need 1 or 2 world class centre backs right now, or were going to create a hole there that is even bigger than the one in midfield.

Remember a couple of years ago, lot's of people didn't want us to sign a good midfielder because apparently Cleverley and Anderson's development was going to get stunted. Then a few years down the line, we ended up with one of the worst midfields in recent top flight history. We need to strengthen our defence NOW, while we have the chance, so it doesn't end up as one giant hole, like our midfield.

I don't think either Jones or Smalling will come good unfortunately (I really hope they do). They are just to inconsistent, even when played together. I think we should spend big on Benatia and pair him with either Jones/Smalling, Basically give them one more year to come good.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i like Ginter, kid seems like a beast with a good touch.
His move to Dortmund should be pretty much done. The only question seems to be if they get him this summer or the next. I'd be very surprised if he suddenly decides to sign for another club.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Yeah I agree - give them 20 games playing behind a strong midfield in a confident team and we will see the best of them

Thing I worry about with their partnership is the constant injuries Jones picks up which disrupts any potential partnership
Sorry, but that is ridiculous. What if the partnerships a disaster? It's simply too risky, we could drop too many points.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Has to be Hummels doesn't it. Won't happen though, he seems to love Dortmund. It's going to be very tough for us to prize away players from established CL playing team this summer. Unless we offer huge money which we won't pay over the odds
He likes them but he has repeatedly stressed he would like to go back to Bayern to prove something to himself because he didn't make it the first time there. It's either Bayern/Real/Barcelona or nowhere.

buckooo1978

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. What if the partnerships a disaster? It's simply too risky, we could drop too many points.
If it is a disaster they wouldn't get the 20 games quite simply

I was thinking more along the lines of developing a partnership and LVG getting the best from them

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I'd welcome any of the listed centre backs this summer.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He likes them but he has repeatedly stressed he would like to go back to Bayern to prove something to himself because he didn't make it the first time there. It's either Bayern/Real/Barcelona or nowhere.
Yeah... that never happened. He had at least two chances to return to them and chose Dortmund over them both times (the last time when he signed a new 5 year contract without clause). He won´t return to Bayern in the future aswell. Of that I´m absolutely certain. When he named clubs that might interest him in the future (not this summer as he already clarified multiple times) it was always Barcelona.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Jones, Smalling and Evans are nowhere near good enough to be starting centre backs for us, they're squad players at best IMO. Not to mention they are also all made of glass.

Jones- He flies into stupid unnecessary tackles without even thinking, which results in too many injuries which will obviously stunt his development. His fault not the clubs. He is brilliant at man marking, but that's about it. He needs to develop a footballing brain, he is still young though and I think with an experienced world class centre back next to him, he will be able to make the step up. Pairing him with Smalling is suicide and will cost us many more points than it's worth.

Smalling- He's almost 25 (The same age as Hummels) and is nowhere near his level, not even close. His positioning is awful and always gives silly fouls near our penalty area which can result in chances for the opposition. He is a good Ariel threat though and can provide some danger during set pieces, but I don't think he's really improved at all since we bought him.

Evans- He is our best current centre back and is always injured (haha). He has a brilliant footballing brain with great ball distribution, I would start with Evans going into to the new season, if we are only going to purchase one CB signing.

We had a near perfect defence just a few years ago, with Ferdinand and Vidic forming one of the greatest defensive partnerships of all time. (I think there clean sheet record hasn't been touched). Both were world class, that is the keyword, WORLD CLASS. We need 1 or 2 world class centre backs right now, or were going to create a hole there that is even bigger than the one in midfield.

Remember a couple of years ago, lot's of people didn't want us to sign a good midfielder because apparently Cleverley and Anderson's development was going to get stunted. Then a few years down the line, we ended up with one of the worst midfields in recent top flight history. We need to strengthen our defence NOW, while we have the chance, so it doesn't end up as one giant hole, like our midfield.

I don't think either Jones or Smalling will come good unfortunately (I really hope they do). They are just to inconsistent, even when played together. I think we should spend big on Benatia and pair him with either Jones/Smalling, Basically give them one more year to come good.
Who out there is World Class and feasible? I'm not too fussed as I think Evans and Smalling could do well under van Gaal, Jones subject to the setup. It all really depends on whether we are playing a back four or three with wingbacks. If it is the latter, there won't be many players out there well suited for the central role as hardly any team plays that way. Van Gaal knows the answer and will be acquainted with what players have the potential to thrive in that setup. I doubt the final answer will be any of those listed, or anyone you currently consider World Class.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
His move to Dortmund should be pretty much done. The only question seems to be if they get him this summer or the next. I'd be very surprised if he suddenly decides to sign for another club.
well i thought that but it seems like it gone silent on the move, was wondering if it was one of those rumor that go mad for a few days then die down... like us signing miranda.

Anyway we don't seem to be in for him anyway so it a doesn't really matter, but i would have liked to have seen him in a united shirt.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
well i thought that but it seems like it gone silent on the move, was wondering if it was one of those rumor that go mad for a few days then die down... like us signing miranda.

Anyway we don't seem to be in for him anyway so it a doesn't really matter, but i would have liked to have seen him in a united shirt.
Afaik both Dortmund (namely Watzke) and the player said that they want to make that move happen. Watzke even said that if Freiburg vetoes it this year they gonna be back next year. The clubs stopped negotiations for the duration of the world cup to keep the player from losing focus.

Last edited:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Afaik both Dortmund (namely Watkze) and the player said that they want to make that move happen. Watzke even said that if Freiburg vetos it this year they gonna be back next year. The clubs stop negotiations for the duration of the world cup to keep the player from losing focus.
fair enough you seem far more informed then me... shame,..... but nice to see him go to dourtmund.