Which future sponsor would suit United the best?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Nah. If you're talking laptops, then yes Macbooks are probably the most popular option (though dwindling). But developers [at least at Google and Nvidia] generally use Linux for coding work, and windows otherwise. Obviously if you're developing for another platform you'll use that one too.
Google and Nvidia is a very small portion of developers as a whole. Almost every professional freelancer will use Mac along with any company serious about developing their own software. Linux as well but that can vary. Windows? For few specific technologies maybe but no chance it would be a popular choice.

owlo

Google and Nvidia is a very small portion of developers as a whole. Almost every professional freelancer will use Mac along with any company serious about developing their own software. Linux as well but that can vary. Windows? For few specific technologies maybe but no chance it would be a popular choice.
It's a very small percentage yes, but I'd suggest it's fairly representative of how tech companies develop, as they generally don't exist in a bubble and valley culture always tends to be pretty homogenous. The major reason to use macs is to develop for iOS which is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure both the companies I mentioned are fairly serious about developing their own software though.

The reason macbooks were so popular for laptop choice is due to the Chinese hacks some years ago rather than some inherent advantage. Which is why they are now dwindling. (I wasn't there at the time, but everybody at google had to hand in their laptop in 2010 or so and receive a macbook instead due to a security mandate.)

I'm not suggesting they aren't decent, (I'm typing on a macbook currently) but to say they are used for the vast majority of development is either disingenuous or ignorant. My brother starts at Apple in 8 months (contract signed, but current company won't release him from contract early) , so I can ask him then what they all use if you'd like to revisit the discussion :)

Last edited:

shamans

It's a very small percentage yes, but I'd suggest it's fairly representative of how tech companies develop, as they generally don't exist in a bubble and valley culture always tends to be pretty homogenous. The major reason to use macs is to develop for iOS which is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure both the companies I mentioned are fairly serious about developing their own software though.

The reason macbooks were so popular for laptop choice is due to the Chinese hacks some years ago rather than some inherent advantage. Which is why they are now dwindling. (I wasn't there at the time, but everybody at google had to hand in their laptop in 2010 or so and receive a macbook instead due to a security mandate.)

I'm not suggesting they aren't decent, (I'm typing on a macbook currently) but to say they are used for the vast majority of development is either disingenuous or ignorant. My brother starts at Apple in 8 months (contract signed, but current company won't release him from contract early) , so I can ask him then what they all use if you'd like to revisit the discussion :)
You're saying I am ignorant about this yet you think the reason people used macs was due to Chinese hacks rather than inherent advantage. That means you clearly have no proper software development experience. The benefits of using OSX are unparalleled.

Also, 2 of my buddies work as developers at google. Both use macs. Your info is wrong and you need to educate yourself.

owlo

You're saying I am ignorant about this yet you think the reason people used macs was due to Chinese hacks rather than inherent advantage. That means you clearly have no proper software development experience. The benefits of using OSX are unparalleled.

Also, 2 of my buddies work as developers at google. Both use macs. Your info is wrong and you need to educate yourself.
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Google recalled all laptops and issued macbooks instead because the CIO mandated it. It's not a trade secret, look it up.

They probably use macbooks, or develop for IOS or something. Most don't.

shamans

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Google recalled all laptops and issued macbooks instead because the CIO mandated it. It's not a trade secret, look it up.

They probably use macbooks, or develop for IOS or something. Most don't.
Most do. Developing for IOS is hardly the advantage. Again, you clearly haven't developed much software you have no idea what you're on about here.

There's a famous (funny) quote that 90 percent of devs at google use homebrew (funnier with the context). Homebrew is specific for mac. You're telling me suddenly 90 percent of employees now can't use the software they needed :lol:

Scarlet Spider

I don't know why but I always thought a massive Adidas originals in the middle of the shirt would look cool; failing that maybe Apple or Samsung. I am pretty much resigned to us only being involved with American companies given our owners' connections. Maybe xBox would work?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Nah. If you're talking laptops, then yes Macbooks are probably the most popular option (though dwindling). But developers [at least at Google and Nvidia] generally use Linux for coding work, and windows otherwise. Obviously if you're developing for another platform you'll use that one too.
I think he is a front end developer.

Todd

Coca Cola seems the obvious choice.

American brand, tons of money, one of the most recognizable brands in the history of humanity, and the logo would actually look pretty classy, especially considering it's at home on a red background.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Coca Cola seems the obvious choice.

American brand, tons of money, one of the most recognizable brands in the history of humanity, and the logo would actually look pretty classy, especially considering it's at home on a red background.
Coca Cola for the home shirt, Coke Zero for the black and Coke Light for the white?

Todd

Coca Cola for the home shirt, Coke Zero for the black and Coke Light for the white?
That would definitely synch up pretty well with Coke's packaging and marketing, yeah.

Although here in the USA, it'd be Diet Coke (instead of Coke Light) and now Coke Zero has just been rebranded as 'Coke Zero Sugar'

ParkLife

I don't think brands that are as closely associated with red as McDonalds or Coke would be a good choice, aesthetically speaking. If that Atlanta United mockup is anything to go on, it'd look more like a Coca-Cola FC kit than a Manchester United one.

Rake

Apple would probably be the best. Just a simple logo, everyone knows what it means, leaves plenty of room on the shirt for additional logos :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
That would definitely synch up pretty well with Coke's packaging and marketing, yeah.

Although here in the USA, it'd be Diet Coke (instead of Coke Light) and now Coke Zero has just been rebranded as 'Coke Zero Sugar'
The rebranding is a small issue, but we the fans may not like it when they bring us to have a cherry colored 3rd kit if they wanted to market cherry coke.