Which player will dominate football in the next decade?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The answer is ‘no’
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the guy MONSTERED a world cup at age 20, just absolutely outshone Messi, twice now, and people wonder if Phil fecking Foden might be better than him :houllier:

Needs to get to madrid asap, then all this foolishness will cease

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Mbappe will be the best player overall in the next decade, but he's no Messi or Ronaldo. I don't think he'll have the same luck with injuries either unfortunately

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Mbappe is better than Haaland, he still can score and assist when his teams is playing bad(PSG in the CL) he doesn't need to be fed.

Haaland needs to be assisted, and he can't play that much far away from the small area.

What Haaland has that Mbappé hasn't is more accuracy in front of goal, but he has to be fed, can't rely on him when the team is playing bad or getting dominated.

Luke1995

It's tough to say. Possibly someone born from 2005 to 2009 who will come up in the next couple years and we don't even know yet.

Out of the names mentioned by the OP, I think Vinicius Junior has the highest potential. He could possibly be Madrid's version of a Neymar for a while.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Seriously, the guy MONSTERED a world cup at age 20, just absolutely outshone Messi, twice now, and people wonder if Phil fecking Foden might be better than him :houllier:

I agree, he will kick on there. It’s the perfect club for him.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's tough to say. Possibly someone born from 2005 to 2009 who will come up in the next couple years and we don't even know yet.

Out of the names mentioned by the OP, I think Vinicius Junior has the highest potential. He could possibly be Madrid's version of a Neymar for a while.
Vini is my choice too. When the stadium opens and if there is a large investment in signings in the coming years, I think Madrid will once again be strong and Vini has all the conditions: physical, technical and more recently the confidence acquired. In addition to charisma and sympathy. I think Mbappe has to take a step forward, perhaps motivated by the clash with Vini and by a very anxious Bernabéu after so much waiting.
Haaland is very good but I have the feeling, maybe wrong, that because of his body he will have more problems with injuries.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe is better than Haaland, he still can score and assist when his teams is playing bad(PSG in the CL) he doesn't need to be fed.

Haaland needs to be assisted, and he can't play that much far away from the small area.

What Haaland has that Mbappé hasn't is more accuracy in front of goal, but he has to be fed, can't rely on him when the team is playing bad or getting dominated.
Another big advantage Haaland has is his physicality. He can move people out of his way to get a shot off, Mbappe has to be more technical to get his shot off, but that's also what makes him the better player out of the two. He can get you a goal or an assist completely on his own against world-class players, Haaland has to learn how to do that more consistently. The downside to his physical advantage is he can also land himself into more injuries, and right now he's already dealing with a pretty serious one, not a great sign this early in his career but could be a one-off.

I hope neither of them deal with long-term injuries, they may not be CR7/Messi, but they are extraordinary players in their own rights and it's really fortunate that they're coming at a time when the Ballon d'Or collectors are on their last few seasons.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don’t think anyone would. But out of current players:

Mbappe in terms of trophies count - already won a WC and many Mickey trophies in France, will move to Real Madrid and win a few more there for sure.

Haaland in terms of goals - probably one of the best goalscorer ever at his age, it’s matter of how long he could keep up, will he stay out of injuries, and where will he play next.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Haaland looks great but he plays in a league that is wide open. Mbappe seems to be a little ahead of him. We will know a lot more about both when they both move to leagues with better defences this summer. I think it will be one or both.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Mbappe is already special. Then theres Haaland who could become the best goalscorer of his generation. Saka, Vinicius, Fati, Smith-Rowe, Doku, Camavinga, Pedri, Havertz, Felix, Upamecano, Ferran Torres and Isak also all have what it takes to make waves.

Blackwidow

Haaland looks great but he plays in a league that is wide open.
The Champions League? I might understand that argument when it is a player that just scores in the league but not when he had most goals in a CL season...

How his career will run? He in my eyes already has too many injuries for his age.

TheLiverBird

It’s hard to care when we’ve been spoilt with 2 players in Messi and Ronaldo for the last 15 years

I know this thread isn’t about who’s going to better CR7 and Messi, it’s about the next players to dominate and on that front…

Mbappe and Haaland, their numbers at this stage and at their ages 22 and 21 stack up

Mbappe has been dishing out insane numbers since the age of 19 scoring over 40 goals in that season, not just in the Ligue 1 but the champions league too. I do hope Mbappe leaves the French league as it’s quality compared to the EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga really is miles apart.

Only time will tell if they will be Freaks like Messi and Ronnie, they have 13+ years to keep these numbers up year in year out

It really is insane what Messi and Ronnie have done

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The Champions League? I might understand that argument when it is a player that just scores in the league but not when he had most goals in a CL season...

How his career will run? He in my eyes already has too many injuries for his age.
It is impressive no doubt, and one of the reasons I mention him. I do wonder, and could not find a breakdown, are those against the Malmos of the CL or the top teams?

telstar96

I can't personally see football being dominated by a single player. It was pure chance that we had Ronaldo and Messi playing in the same era. The other modern greats have often played through different eras. For example, by the time Cruyff came onto the scene Pele was already at the tail-end of his career and this was the same for Maradona, who succeeded Cruyff as the best.

I can't see this being the case for the next decade. I think we will see a repeat of the 90s and early 00s, whereby the title of best player, is up for grabs every season. I personally think this is better for football. Whilst we've been blessed with the Ronaldo-Messi era, it has also been fairly predictable with either Barca or Real being the dominant team in Europe. I feel like Ronaldo's exit from Real is proof of this, as since, we've been witness to some of the most exciting and unpredictable seasons in the Champions League.

Luke1995

Vini is my choice too. When the stadium opens and if there is a large investment in signings in the coming years, I think Madrid will once again be strong and Vini has all the conditions: physical, technical and more recently the confidence acquired. In addition to charisma and sympathy. I think Mbappe has to take a step forward, perhaps motivated by the clash with Vini and by a very anxious Bernabéu after so much waiting.
Haaland is very good but I have the feeling, maybe wrong, that because of his body he will have more problems with injuries.
It seems like Vini has improved alot his finishing aswell ? Certainly compared to his first two seasons.

In regards to Haaland, he will be very good for the next 4-5 years but eventually I think a couple players will be better. It's just the cycle of life...

Let me just add something: Messi and Ronaldo will be in the mix as long as they want to play. They may not ''dominate football'' like they once did but they will still push these young guns hard.

KeanoMagicHat

It is impressive no doubt, and one of the reasons I mention him. I do wonder, and could not find a breakdown, are those against the Malmos of the CL or the top teams?
Haaland has scored against Liverpool, 3 against Napoli, 1 against Lazio, 4 against Sevilla, 2 against PSG already.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don’t know about Haaland, I’d also be interested to find out. What I do know is that Mbappe certainly has quite a few CL goals against top teams, in their stadiums as well. I’m sure I read about that somewhere.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I can't personally see football being dominated by a single player. It was pure chance that we had Ronaldo and Messi playing in the same era. The other modern greats have often played through different eras. For example, by the time Cruyff came onto the scene Pele was already at the tail-end of his career and this was the same for Maradona, who succeeded Cruyff as the best.

I can't see this being the case for the next decade. I think we will see a repeat of the 90s and early 00s, whereby the title of best player, is up for grabs every season. I personally think this is better for football. Whilst we've been blessed with the Ronaldo-Messi era, it has also been fairly predictable with either Barca or Real being the dominant team in Europe. I feel like Ronaldo's exit from Real is proof of this, as since, we've been witness to some of the most exciting and unpredictable seasons in the Champions League.
Pele had Eusebio, Cruyff had Best, Maradona had Platini. It’s just that in each case they didn’t play in the same league at the same time for 10 years and the champions league every year. That’s how the Messi - Ronaldo rivalry was essentially manufactured.

telstar96

Pele had Eusebio, Cruyff had Best, Maradona had Platini. It’s just that in each case they didn’t play in the same league at the same time for 10 years and the champions league every year. That’s how the Messi - Ronaldo rivalry was essentially manufactured.
I hear that, but Messi and Ronaldo are just on a different level. They're arguably the two greatest players of all time, both at least in the top 5 and almost impossible to separate. Yes the names I mentioned had other greats to contend with but overall were seen as unmatched. Also, other than Pele and Eusebio, most of the players mentioned didn't have their peaks coinciding with one another. Platini began to decline by the time Maradona was 25, plus Best was seen as declining post 1968, at which point Cruyff was still relatively unknown.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Erling Haaland.

We probably won't see another Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi level player for at least another decade if not more. A player like Mbappe is simply amazing, but he's still noticably below the GOATs

Xanther

The answer is ‘no’

I'll try to defend my take here. I don't think it's that ridiculous. Foden hasn't really had the chance to affect a World Cup like Mbappe has. Mbappe also plays for a national team that's absolutely stacked in every position, that facilitates him destroying teams like Argentina.

Just watching both guys play in the Champions League... I really think Foden's level is incredible. His technical ability, amazing ability to pass, and ability to drop into midfield already make him more rounded at least, than Mbappe, no?

Crucially, I also think Foden is harder to shut out of a game than Mbappe. Both difficult, but Foden survives a heavy defence better, from what I've seen.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I hear that, but Messi and Ronaldo are just on a different level. They're arguably the two greatest players of all time, both at least in the top 5 and almost impossible to separate. Yes the names I mentioned had other greats to contend with but overall were seen as unmatched. Also, other than Pele and Eusebio, most of the players mentioned didn't have their peaks coinciding with one another. Platini began to decline by the time Maradona was 25, plus Best was seen as declining post 1968, at which point Cruyff was still relatively unknown.
I agree to a point with what you said about Platini and Maradona. The former was 5 years older and was nearing the end of his best by the time Maradona arrived in Italy. However, Best and Cruyff are almost the same age (less than a year apart). Best did not immediately decline post 68, it was the team that started to decline with Busby’s move upstairs. He still played at a high level for several years after that. Unfortunately the team was not good enough to ensure clashes between Ajax and Manchester United in the European Cup in the early 70s.

Had they both been playing in the same league and at a time when you didn’t have to win the league to be in the Champions Cup, we might have seen more of a rivalry between them. As it was, they hardly faced eachother. Same with Pele and Eusebio. Same with Platini and Maradona.

A big part of the whole Messi/Ronaldo thing is that they’ve played against eachother like 30 times? 40 times? Pele and Eusebio met 3 times in competitive matches.

telstar96

it was the team that started to decline with Busby’s move upstairs.
Yh that’s a fair point.
A big part of the whole Messi/Ronaldo thing is that they’ve played against eachother like 30 times? 40 times? Pele and Eusebio met 3 times in competitive matches.
Yh that’s true. These ‘super matches’ were usually a rare occurrence. At least with modern football, we can witness a lot of great matchups on a regular basis. Hopefully this next generation, won’t be dominated by a small number of players.

KeanoMagicHat

Not sure Lazio, Sevilla and even Napoli is that big a deal.
No but the post asked if all his goals were against teams like Malmö. If you score 4 goals in 2 games against Sevilla that’s great going for any player past or present.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
No but the post asked if all his goals were against teams like Malmö. If you score 4 goals in 2 games against Sevilla that’s great going for any player past or present.
Great going for any player past or present? That’s a bit of an exaggeration, no? Sevilla are a decent Spanish side, nothing more (despite their obvious success in the second tier European competition).

The only top teams Haaland has scored against are Liverpool and PSG I think? Obviously he has just started (and has been amazingly prolific in a short space of time) but his scalps are mostly not giants. This will clearly change when he goes to a better team and plays against the bigger teams more often.

Mbappe on the other hand has already scored away at the Etihad, Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou, the Bernabeu, the Allianz Arena, the Juventus Stadium and Signal Iduna Park. Some of those were when he was still a teen at Monaco as well (City, Juventus, Dortmund).

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yh that’s a fair point.

Yh that’s true. These ‘super matches’ were usually a rare occurrence. At least with modern football, we can witness a lot of great matchups on a regular basis. Hopefully this next generation, won’t be dominated by a small number of players.
I think the difference is the concentrated nature of the game these days. All the best players in the world (and I mean from literally every continent) play in one of 5 European leagues. This wasn’t the case in the past, it was much more spread out.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Please select only one player, the one you think that is going to be the most dominant. See the list below to have some suggestions:

- Bukayo Saka.
- Vinicius Junior.
- Joao Felix.
- Pedri.
- Jude Bellingham.
- Eduardo Camavinga.
- Matthijs de Ligt.
- Ansu Fati.
- Phil Foden.
- Jadon Sancho.
- Erling Haaland.
- Kylian Mbappe.
- Alphonso Davies.
- Wesley Fofana.
- Ryan Gravenberch.
- Kai Havertz.
Its Rare for a footballer to dominate the sport. We will probably go a few generations before we get another Messi/Ronnie/Maradona/Pele.

We’ve just had two career long superstars at the same time. Normally it’s just a player that peaks for a year or four. Kane, Neymar, KdB, Lewa, VVD, are recent examples. Del Piero, Ronaldo, Kaka, Giggs, all had several years at a peak that every single player in the paragraph above would have been proud of.

FIFA suggests that the likes of Kane or Haaland is a ‘Generational’ World Class forward. He’s Adriano. He’s Crespo.

Nobody will dominate for a decade in the real world. Online maybe. But not In Reality.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I'll try to defend my take here. I don't think it's that ridiculous. Foden hasn't really had the chance to affect a World Cup like Mbappe has. Mbappe also plays for a national team that's absolutely stacked in every position, that facilitates him destroying teams like Argentina.
He’s had a chance to affect a Euros though. How’d that go? :D

By the way, I personally am not saying your take is ridiculous at all, it’s not an exact science because they’re totally different players. I just think Mbappe is better

Just watching both guys play in the Champions League... I really think Foden's level is incredible. His technical ability, amazing ability to pass, and ability to drop into midfield already make him more rounded at least, than Mbappe, no?
I just think Foden’s abilities as you have described them are overrated because he’s English. I mean he’s good enough to play regularly for Man City so he clearly can’t be a scrub, but if he was Portuguese or Spanish he’d just be a gifted young player as opposed to the second coming of Zico, which is what the hype suggests.

Crucially, I also think Foden is harder to shut out of a game than Mbappe. Both difficult, but Foden survives a heavy defence better, from what I've seen.
Not sure about that at all. Have to disagree.