Which player will dominate football in the next decade?

RooneyLegend

Mbappe is better than Haaland, he still can score and assist when his teams is playing bad(PSG in the CL) he doesn't need to be fed.

Haaland needs to be assisted, and he can't play that much far away from the small area.

What Haaland has that Mbappé hasn't is more accuracy in front of goal, but he has to be fed, can't rely on him when the team is playing bad or getting dominated.
If Haaland joins Bayern he'll never worry about his team playing bad or getting dominated.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Because we tend to think of these things as attacking weighted it’s between Haaland and Mbappe and they’re already two of the most talked about players in the world, potentially set up as the next big versus after Ronaldo and Messi finish.

Think Pedri, Bellingham and Foden will all be spoken about as the very top of the top for a good while too though, even if they never win the awards due to being midfielders not scoring silly amounts of goals.

Last edited:

EtH

Greenwood if we hire a progressive manager.

So Haaland then.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree to a point with what you said about Platini and Maradona. The former was 5 years older and was nearing the end of his best by the time Maradona arrived in Italy. However, Best and Cruyff are almost the same age (less than a year apart). Best did not immediately decline post 68, it was the team that started to decline with Busby’s move upstairs. He still played at a high level for several years after that. Unfortunately the team was not good enough to ensure clashes between Ajax and Manchester United in the European Cup in the early 70s.

Had they both been playing in the same league and at a time when you didn’t have to win the league to be in the Champions Cup, we might have seen more of a rivalry between them. As it was, they hardly faced eachother. Same with Pele and Eusebio. Same with Platini and Maradona.

A big part of the whole Messi/Ronaldo thing is that they’ve played against eachother like 30 times? 40 times? Pele and Eusebio met 3 times in competitive matches.
It’s still nothing like Messi vs Ronaldo.

Maybe Best and Cruyff has around 4 to 5 years at the top overlapping with each other (from around 67-72) while not in direct rivalry of any sort. In fact, the only time they share the same platform as top 3 in Ballon D’or is in 1971, with Cruyff 1st Best 3rd.

But Ronaldo and Messi has around 15+ years competing with each other (06-21), as best player in the world. They share the same platform as top 3 in Ballon D’or for 11 occasions, spanning from 2007 (Ronaldo 2nd Messi 3rd) to 2019 (Messi 1st Ronaldo 3rd). Last year was cancelled (otherwise they would both be 2nd and 3rd again, as in UEFA men’s player award). Its whole different level of rivalry, probably unseen in any other sports, and regardless of whether they are playing in same league or not.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It’s still nothing like Messi vs Ronaldo.

Maybe Best and Cruyff has around 4 to 5 years at the top overlapping with each other (from around 67-72) while not in direct rivalry of any sort. In fact, the only time they share the same platform as top 3 in Ballon D’or is in 1971, with Cruyff 1st Best 3rd.

But Ronaldo and Messi has around 15+ years competing with each other (06-21), as best player in the world. They share the same platform as top 3 in Ballon D’or for 11 occasions, spanning from 2007 (Ronaldo 2nd Messi 3rd) to 2019 (Messi 1st Ronaldo 3rd). Last year was cancelled (otherwise they would both be 2nd and 3rd again, as in UEFA men’s player award). Its whole different level of rivalry, probably unseen in any other sports, and regardless of whether they are playing in same league or not.
It is interesting that you are so convinced of the efficacy of the Ballon D’Or in determining who the best player in the world is at any given point in history. I guess this must mean that you have accepted that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo seeing as he has more Ballon D’Or awards…….

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It is interesting that you are so convinced of the efficacy of the Ballon D’Or in determining who the best player in the world is at any given point in history. I guess this must mean that you have accepted that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo seeing as he has more Ballon D’Or awards…….
Well I think you better stay relevant to the topic. Not everything has to come to conclusion of who being better player, at least not in this thread.

Xanther

He’s had a chance to affect a Euros though. How’d that go? :D

By the way, I personally am not saying your take is ridiculous at all, it’s not an exact science because they’re totally different players. I just think Mbappe is better
Understood bro :D

I just think Foden’s abilities as you have described them are overrated because he’s English. I mean he’s good enough to play regularly for Man City so he clearly can’t be a scrub, but if he was Portuguese or Spanish he’d just be a gifted young player as opposed to the second coming of Zico, which is what the hype suggests.
Maybe. You might be right about that. Though it's easy to be overwhelmed into an opinion having seen him be a strong, positive influence against PSG, Liverpool etc

Not sure about that at all. Have to disagree.
I really like Foden's ball control and passing, I think it's better than Mbappe's, and this is super important against a tough defence IMO. But again, that's maybe not Mbappe's responsibility anyway, his job is to score

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Well I think you better stay relevant to the topic. Not everything has to come to conclusion of who being better player, at least not in this thread.
It is relevant to the topic. You tried to make an argument based almost exclusively on the Ballon D’Or (an award which is totally different from what it was in 1960 or 1970). I’m demonstrating to you why that thinking is flawed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It is relevant to the topic. You tried to make an argument based almost exclusively on the Ballon D’Or (an award which is totally different from what it was in 1960 or 1970). I’m demonstrating to you why that thinking is flawed.
You are missing the whole point. Apparently sharing the Ballon D'or platform for very long period of time demonstrate how dominate both players were during their era, which also highlights the intensity and length of their rivalry, as they are in direct competition for all those individual awards, team trophies and even goalscoring records. After all we are talking and comparing the rivalry all along, aren't we? But you are trying to turn the whole focus onto something totally irrelevant to the topic, by trying to suggest which player is the better player instead. This is very low and cheap effort to dodge away from the original argument, which you couldn't refute.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Mbappe. If we go solely by goals Haaland.

KeanoMagicHat

Great going for any player past or present? That’s a bit of an exaggeration, no? Sevilla are a decent Spanish side, nothing more (despite their obvious success in the second tier European competition).

The only top teams Haaland has scored against are Liverpool and PSG I think? Obviously he has just started (and has been amazingly prolific in a short space of time) but his scalps are mostly not giants. This will clearly change when he goes to a better team and plays against the bigger teams more often.

Mbappe on the other hand has already scored away at the Etihad, Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou, the Bernabeu, the Allianz Arena, the Juventus Stadium and Signal Iduna Park. Some of those were when he was still a teen at Monaco as well (City, Juventus, Dortmund).
The point was that he scored 4 goals in 2 games. And also Sevilla are around the same level as Dortmund. If Mbappé plays against Sevilla then it should be easier (theoretically) as PSG are better than Sevilla.

He also scored against Liverpool for RB Salzburg. Again, hardly for a PSG level team.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You are missing the whole point. Apparently sharing the Ballon D'or platform for very long period of time demonstrate how dominate both players were during their era, which also highlights the intensity and length of their rivalry, as they are in direct competition for all those individual awards, team trophies and even goalscoring records. After all we are talking and comparing the rivalry all along, aren't we? But you are trying to turn the whole focus onto something totally irrelevant to the topic, by trying to suggest which player is the better player instead. This is very low and cheap effort to dodge away from the original argument, which you couldn't refute.
It’s not. The point is easily refuted and the rivalry only exists because of the era they are playing in and the fact that they played in the same league for 10 years (which is related to the era they are playing in).

I would explain all this to you and how the Ballon D’Or is not a constant arbiter of these kinds of things but you wouldn’t accept it because you’ve already got it into your head that there’s never been two players at the same time like Messi and Ronaldo. I just think that’s false and there’s no logical reason why anyone should believe that.

I’ll leave you with a question though which might help you in this respect. Real Madrid won the first 5 European Cups. So why does Alfredo DiStefano as the acknowledged leader and best player on that team (and scorer in every final) not have 5 Ballon D’Ors? Or at least 4?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The point was that he scored 4 goals in 2 games. And also Sevilla are around the same level as Dortmund. If Mbappé plays against Sevilla then it should be easier (theoretically) as PSG are better than Sevilla.

He also scored against Liverpool for RB Salzburg. Again, hardly for a PSG level team.
No they’re not.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Understood bro :D

Maybe. You might be right about that. Though it's easy to be overwhelmed into an opinion having seen him be a strong, positive influence against PSG, Liverpool etc

I really like Foden's ball control and passing, I think it's better than Mbappe's, and this is super important against a tough defence IMO. But again, that's maybe not Mbappe's responsibility anyway, his job is to score
I think he’s a better passer than Mbappe, sure. But I don’t think his technical ability is so good that it makes him a better player than Mbappe, if that makes sense?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
How are they not? Sevilla’s record in Europe is arguably better than Dortmund in recent years.
In the Champions League? I’m not sure about that. And BD are a much bigger and more successful club historically and within their own league.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s not. The point is easily refuted and the rivalry only exists because of the era they are playing in and the fact that they played in the same league for 10 years (which is related to the era they are playing in).

I would explain all this to you and how the Ballon D’Or is not a constant arbiter of these kinds of things but you wouldn’t accept it because you’ve already got it into your head that there’s never been two players at the same time like Messi and Ronaldo. I just think that’s false and there’s no logical reason why anyone should believe that.

I’ll leave you with a question though which might help you in this respect. Real Madrid won the first 5 European Cups. So why does Alfredo DiStefano as the acknowledged leader and best player on that team (and scorer in every final) not have 5 Ballon D’Ors? Or at least 4?
Why ask me? You need to ask those people who vote for Ballon D’or winners back then, not me. Least to say, its by far the most prestigious and creditable individual awards in football, rather than those bias opinion from you or me. Both Messi and Ronaldo are competing each other for those awards, in a way which is unseen/unmatched in football history. And it’s means alot for them winning those, so in such sense, there’s some sort of long time rivalry there, regardless of whether they are playing in same league or not.

Well back to the topic and tell me, what kind of rivalry did Cruyff and Best have to be able to stand up with Messi Ronaldo rivalry then? That’s the only point I am trying to argue here. I am not going to further derail the thread by going to something totally irrelevant, such as bringing up argument of best ever player in the world, or arguing importance of Ballon D’or. You can start another new thread if that’s the kind of topic you want to discuss.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Why ask me? You need to ask those people who vote for Ballon D’or winners back then, not me. Least to say, its by far the most prestigious and creditable individual awards in football, rather than those bias opinion from you or me. Both Messi and Ronaldo are competing each other for those awards, in a way which is unseen/unmatched in football history. And it’s means alot for them winning those, so in such sense, there’s some sort of long time rivalry there, regardless of whether they are playing in same league or not.

The rivalry would not be the same if they didn’t play in the same league. That much is blindingly obvious. If you play in the same league you face off directly many more times than otherwise.

Well back to the topic and tell me, what kind of rivalry did Cruyff and Best have to be able to stand up with Messi Ronaldo rivalry then? That’s the only point I am trying to argue here. I am not going to further derail the thread by going to something totally irrelevant, such as bringing up argument of best ever player in the world, or arguing importance of Ballon D’or. You can start another new thread if that’s the kind of topic you want to discuss.
Ok, you totally don’t understand what I’m saying so I guess I’ll have to spell it out for you in a much simpler way. I was actually arguing that Best and Cruyff didn’t have a rivalry for reasons of proximity but let’s forget about them for a second. Also, let’s forget about Maradona and Platini. Let’s use the Pele v Eusebio one. Please explain to me how they wouldn’t have had a rivalry similar to Messi and Ronaldo (or even better) if they played in the same league for European super clubs for 10 years? Try and make your argument without using the Ballon D’Or…..

Swordsman

well to me Mbappe basically stagnating in the last 2 seasons. tbf it's hard to have as much progress as since his Monaco days, because he really is a world class striker

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I am. It is a ridiculous take :D
You’re very harsh Giorno :lol:

Foden is a talent, there’s not doubt. Right now though Mbappe is considerably ahead of him and practically everyone on that list IMO. That may not always be the case but it’s the case at the moment.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Biased me thinks Florian Wirtz isn't mentioned enough in here. Incredible technique, dribbling and vision, great composure and finishing in front of the goal and he's also quite fast. Hit a top speed of 33 km/h this season as an 18 year old. Currently at 6 goals, 4 assists in 613 minutes in the Bundesliga and 7 goals, 7 assists in 903 minutes in all competitions.

how's Mbappe assist/playmaking compared to Messi ?
Pretty average by those standards in my opinion. As a playmaker, he is nowhere near Messi or even Neymar.

Last edited:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
How is it flawed though?
George Best and Cruyff were not competing for same things during their peak time. Plus it wasn't of the tenure that Messi and Cristiano have had. Anyone suggesting any player were a better individual players than either of them during the 2008-2019 era is silly.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
How is it flawed though?
George Best and Cruyff were not competing for same things during their peak time. Plus it wasn't of the tenure that Messi and Cristiano have had. Anyone suggesting any player were a better individual players than either of them during the 2008-2019 era is silly.

It is flawed because the Ballon D’Or is not remotely the same thing now that it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The criteria by which it is judged and the winner is chosen has also completely changed.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
It is flawed because the Ballon D’Or is not remotely the same thing now that it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The criteria by which it is judged and the winner is chosen has also completely changed.
The point is Cruyff and Best where never head to head like Messi and Cristiano. Messi and Cristiano were competing for the same big titles(UCL-one won 5 and another won 3, and than La Liga), same golden balls(Ballon Dor), same golden shoes(European Golden Boot) for nearly a decade.
I mean acknowledging such a simple statement is not going to hurt anyone.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The point is Cruyff and Best where never head to head like Messi and Cristiano. Messi and Cristiano were competing for the same big titles(UCL-one won 5 and another won 3, and than La Liga), same golden balls(Ballon Dor), same golden shoes(European Golden Boot) for nearly a decade.
I mean acknowledging such a simple statement is not going to hurt anyone.
Try and actually read what I wrote about Cruyff and Best, Pele/Eusebio and Maradona/Platini.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it will be Haaland but it will be nothing like Cristiano Ronaldo did or Messi, he might not last the whole decade but I think he has the most potential. I would like to mention Mbappe but he needs to get out of PSG to begin with.

Snuffkin

Mbappe relies on pace which will inevitably deteriorate with time/injuries.

Greenwood can't head the ball which will reduce his goal tally.

Haaland should have moved by now, he will learn nothing this season. Whenever he moves he'll need at least a season to adjust to the competition.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Please edit the OP and remove Ryan Gravenbergh. He's fecking useless.

We like to whinge about Frenkie de Jong and Wijnaldum over here, but my God they're like prime Xavi and Iniesta compared to Gravenbergh and Koopmeiners.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Haaland. There is nobody else who really stands out. Mbappe maybe but I think Haaland has a better attitude.