Which posters have gotten it right all along?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Moyes - Had no idea what to expect, thought ManUtd team will carry him and will win few trophies as the club was trophy winning machine at that time

Van Gaal - Had such high hopes on him, thought he will change the club and sets the team to play possession and attacking football. Also had good world cup with RVP hyping the appointment.

Jose - Thought he was good appointment at that time as we needed to win PL, he was the best one to win trophies.

Ole - After the run in, it was hard to look past his record. It was fantastic.

I don't really remember how it was when Moyes was appointed, it was complete new era but backed all other 3. Safe to say I got it wrong.

Robbie Boy

Never in a million years wanted Moyes. Thought LvG and Mourinho would do very well here and was totally unsure about Ole.

Revaulx

I thought that Moyes would be a disaster and that we wouldn't be successful until at least 2020 but I also thought that the club would be foolish enough to keep him multiple years.
My fear was that Moyes would have us stuck around fourth, the board would be happy with that, and we’d simply become the new Arsenal.

I certainly wasn’t expecting us to finish seventh.

• Thought Moyes would be a disaster - couldn’t understand the appointment at all.

• Was delighted about LVG as I was caught up in the two CL final defeats and thought LVG would turn us into a side capable of playing great possession football.

• Was delighted about Mou, thought he’d change for what I’d always imagined was his dream job.

• Ole - I got caught up in the Ole’s at the wheel. My initial thoughts on him thought were “what the feck are we doing” even as caretaker. I thought Blanc was the obvious choice then.

With hindsight in 2020 I can finally see what Fergie was thinking with Moyes, just that the man was wrong. It’s important to have a club culture goal and idea of a managerial type to fulfill it.
I know Fergie/Gill was behind both the Moyes & the Ole appointments and whilst his general idea has been right, both men were vastly under qualified and not up to the job.

Fergie/Gill’s ideas/appointments, whilst they have been the worst in terms of results, hindsight tells us they were much less costly for the club.

Woodward’s two appointments costs us years and hundreds of millions as the two couldn’t have been more polar opposite from the clubs ideals and the men they replaced or who replaced them.

My hope now is that Fergie’s reported first choice is the next manager in the door as it’ll be the first time since SAF retired that we’ve followed the right path as suggested by Fergie/Gill, but with a top proven coach. It’ll also be a much easier transition due to him being aligned with the club and manager he is replacing.

pacifictheme

I thought moyes was a mistake. Was happy with lvg and cautious but hopeful for jose.

Snuffkin

I thought Moyes was wrong. LVG was past it. Jose wasn't a god fit but would have kept us at the top if they had given him Maguire.
Ole has been immense at having faith with the young lads. But his big players have let him down.

johanovic

I wanted Klopp as a successor to Ferguson as I was very impressed with his Dortmund sides and his high pressure attacking football. Instead we went for Moyes and he was never a good fit for the job. Van Gaal was never going to fit despite him having a good CV. Then we went for Mourinho and when that was announced it was similar to having Darth Vader taking over. How miserable could one manager be? Living in a hotel despite his explanations just spoke volumes. Since when has a top team manager done that? On top of that his negativity and moaning was hard to take and even though I acknowledge his past achievements he has been sacked now by his last 3 clubs and sparking controversy at them all.
Now we have OGS a person I like and I hope things work out but he´s having a hard time and it´s a question of how much time will he get. My opinion is that the signings we have made from 2013 until last summer have mostly been flops and despite OGS getting rid of 7 players there are still a lot of players at the club not worth their salt and Jones,Rojo,Young,Shaw,Lingard,Mata,Matic hardly have long left and Pogba must surely be on the way out also. OGS is not afraid to give youth a chance and Rashford,Greenwood,McTominay and Williams are a good testiment on the youth setup at the club with Garner,Gomes,Laird,Tuanzebe,Levitt and others hopefully coming into the team in the future. I hope the board will fund 2 to 3 signings this january to push forward. We need more players than that but a striker, right winger and a midfielder in january would be good next steps.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only one I was right about was Moyes, I felt sure things were going south when he was appointed, I had absolutely no trust in him being good enough - right.
I was somewhat optimistic when van Gaal was hired - wrong.
I was very optimistic when Mourinho was hired - wrong.
I didn’t have much faith in Ole when he came in as a caretaker, but his amazing start made me feel this could really work - time will tell if right or wrong.
Very similar - in utter shock at the Moyes appointment, and I don't think that shock will ever go.

Much more hopeful for the next 2.

Ole, had no expectations, as it was a no lose at the time after the toxic end of the Jose reign.
Ole's massive problem, was that he did too well, peaking with PSG, which had us all remembering how good the big away wins can feel like.

Still no idea if he's the right man or not now, as it's all masked with the bizarre way we run things behind the scenes.

Zlatattack

Defintely not me. I thought we were going to win the league when LVG signed Falcao and AdM.

dove

With Moyes I thought he was a decent proven coach and expected us to finish TOP 4 in his first season I think.
With LVG I had big expectations. We made great transfers on paper, finished TOP 4 and it was looking very good for his 2nd season just to fail spectacularly.
With Jose it went pretty much as expected. A couple cups and a title "challenge". People will say we were miles off 1st and they are right but 2nd place is the best we got since forever and we won't reach it anytime soon.
Ole is exactly as expected. I was one of the very few who instead of singing "Ole's at the wheel" I was worried that our results were much better than the performances in our legendary run and we will crash anytime. I didn't understand the decision to offer him a permanent contract in fecking March and wanted him sacked at the end of last season as it's quite clear he is not a good manager.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Within an hour of the announcement, I posted that Moyes would be a disaster and when Ole was appointed full-time, I predicted that within a year everyone (with regret on most peopl'es part and certainly mine) would be saying he had to go. Neither had the experience needed at a huge club and just because you can work on a tight budget doesn't mean you know how to spend money well. On the flip side and coming off an exciting Dutch performance. I thought LVG would be good and presumed Jose would be excellent

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Like any good supporter I put on a united front for each appointment, as I will for Woodward’s next clusterfeck. But I was obviously disappointed and disillusioned when Moyes was appointed with all those superior candidates floating around.

Same with Ole. It was an unnecessary move at a time when it felt like tempting fate. Despite the results, the football had already begun to revert to the same old tedious shit before he was made permanent. The PSG win was far from a classic performance and more about them messing it up. But we had to pretend it was the right thing to do.

LVG I thought was the right man at that time who would fix the dressing room. In terms of character and authority, we got the real LVG. The football and transfer activities were, sadly, horrific.

Mourinho. We all knew what that was. Throwing away our principles and values in a moment of desperation. It ended as predicted. A few trophies, then implosion. See you soon, Spurs fans.

And for future reference, if we go with Pochettino next. A more enjoyable brand of football, regular Champions League qualification, but still not enough to challenge Klopp and Guardiola.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Moyes - One of the few posters on here who was against Moyes hiring and thought it would be a disaster.

Van Gaal - Thought he'd do ok and would settle us down after Moyes.

Jose - Thought he was needed immediately post Sir Alex, but was against hiring him after his disaster at Chelsea.

Ole - Actually have a post on here somewhere during his first stint at Molde thinking he'd end up as United manager. Thought he'd do ok and rebuild the squad and win a trophy a bit like Van Gaal I guess. He needs some help tactically imo, but think he's doing a good job rebuilding the squad.

I've only really been against Moyes and Jose though. I actually think if Jose had joined after Sir Alex retired he'd have done much better here.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I knew Moyes would be shit, even from when we were linked with him as SAF's successor 3 years before he came. Wherever the Moyes thread is, you will see my multiple posts about him.. Worst day of my United supporting life when he was appointed.

I thought LVG would be really good, he wasn't

I, optimistically, hoped that Jose would want to build something at United to follow his hero, SAF's template although I secretly knew it would be all done within 3 years.

Nickelodeon

Was more or less correct about Moyes and LVG.

I was sure that our days of top 4 struggle are over when we appointed Jose and was hopeful that we'll continuously challenge for the title. I was clearly wrong. But that has made me think that we're unfixable.

Ole, in my opinion, will go down in our history with the likes of Moyes. It was a hasty decision. No point stringing him along but we still do that. And it will get a lot worse till we get to a point where we sack him. Can't say if its pessimism or realism, but appointing Ole has made /will make us England's version of (current) AC Milan.

RUCK4444

There'll be a poster that complains about everything anyway and therefore said they'll all fail.
This. The sheer amount of misery peddling in here surely means half the caf would have said all four were rubbish!

But the same posters will tell you we need a new manager. Funny that.

Paul_Scholes18

I have had moments thinking they are the right manager, but I never had like full confidence and was always very worried.

With Moyes it looked like such a big job and he had never won anything. Still I thought SAF must see something beyond that which would make him right. Then came pre season and we played like crap. Only Januzaj and Lingard looked alright, but I thought it is no real games so things will improve once the season starts. No signings and the season started didn't feel great either.
Then we at least started well against Swansea scoring 4 goals and playing alright. That gave me hope. After that it was not much more to enjoy really. We had some nice wins playing well under him like 5-0 against Leverkursen, but also some terrible games. I think I lost all faith in him when we lost the league cup semi final against a shitty Sunderland side that battled for relegation. We seemed happy to play for advancing on the away goal even at Old Trafford. Then conceded late and messed it up with terrible penalties. It was just so typical Moyes to almost park the bus against a team like Sunderland rather than going for more goals.

With LVG I got hope in pre season when we played well. Although 5 games in watching how we played made me want him gone. It was just terrible. Granted with Carrick playing his football worked better. We won 16/22 games with Carrick. 4/16 without him. Still in many games it was De Gea saving us by making amazing saves. Had one great spell when injuries to Persie and Di Maria made him go with Fellaini and Herrera in midfield. Those 3 together really dominated big teams and our long balls to Fellaini at times totally destroyed both Spurs and City. Then Carrick got injured and he never tried to use the same tactics/improve them, but rather totally changed direction in the summer.

With Mourinho I expected titles and we won two the first season. Also did really well up to the Man City game in his second season. After that the problems with Lukaku, Pogba and everything started and I had little faith in us for his third season left.

Under Ole we got a great boost from not having Mourinho around. Pogba carried us for the first 4-5 games playing as the best player in the world next to Messi then just on being happy that Mourinho left. After that the lack of tactical improvements started to show. We started playing worse after the Spurs win and didn't really create as much. Then we ended the season terribly after PSG and I didn't really want him for this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
LVG only had one more year on his contract after his sacking.
Like the guy that I did, I dont think he would've turned us around that much.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Never liked the previous three appointments.

Moyes was obvious
LVG I never really liked, apart from his Ajax team.A dinosaur, too full of himself with very poor record of player signings. And of course he overloaded us with deadwood.
Mourinho - everyone knew he'd make us more stable and I actually thought he did a decent job but I never liked the type of players he signs. And when he started demanding people like Perisic and Boateng and actually signing Matic and Lukaku I knew we're going nowhere with him. Also football was shit, not as shit as LVG's.

OGS - I'm still undecided. But I'm very disappointed with our football. For a supposedly young and modern manager he's actually a lot like someone from 20 years ago. "Old school" as he himself has put it.
Sit back and long balls to people that run fast. It's somewhat different but also very similar to Mourinho's cowardly style.

Hopefully not but it looks like Woodward will soon be 4 out of 4. Him and the morons that run the club had done enough to ruin this club, it's time for these viruses to be hounded out of Manchester.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I was confident in Moyes that we'll atleast stay competitive in the League but Europe would take a couple of seasons of adjustment for the Scot and his staff, which I was content with had this occurred.

I was wrong on both cases.

Moyes was a unmitigated disaster.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought both van Gaal and Mourinho would win the league.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah, it was the 5-3 loss to Leicester that got me really worried.
The capitulation was worrisome but I still felt confident LVG was onto something at the time and would continue to persevere with this interesting all-out attacking philosophy.
I mean,you'd be mad not too with the offensive players at his disposal.

Lentwood

I posted this on August 25th 2015

"Correct - but like you say nobody will appreciate it because it seems like at least half the people on this forum expect a quick fix so they can go back to giving "mad bantz" to their City supporting mates on Twitter

The difference between LvG/Alex Ferguson and somebody like Mourinho, is that the former both understand that if you want to build a real dynasty you have to start from the ground up. Mourinho is great at the instant fix - he has one horrible, negative, boring tactic that he roles out from club to club, spending hundreds of millions in the process on established international calibre superstars that you can't argue doesn't produce results. The problem is, he usually leaves a club in a far worse state than he found it in, hundreds of millions of pounds down and no younger players coming through

What LvG is trying to do is basically fix Utd from the mess it was in when he found it. He is probably aware that since he is claiming to only be staying in football for two more years that all of his hard work will ultimately bear fruit after he has gone, but I for one will acknowledge the fact that he saved us from "doing a Liverpool" i.e. 20 years in the wilderness and be grateful for it"

I can probably find loads in a similar vein....pretty much been consistent in my stance since joining this forum that our managers are being hung out to dry by the complete lack of football knowledge and strategy from above. In fact, I bet you won't find one post from me calling for ANY of our managers to go and I've defended all of them staunchly

So in answer to your question OP, I would say me :-)

danamann

I posted this shortly after Mourinho was appointed, September 2016.

In my view, there is a simple explanation as to why United has been constantly underachieving in recent years and his name is Ed Woodward. Say what you want about his ability to expand the United brand, get on new sponsors and increase revenue. This man has not enough knowledge about football to run such a high profile club. Of course you can blame Moyes, Van Gaal or even Mourinho for bad results and performances but looking at the bigger picture he is the most responsible person for the lack of success in recent years.

First of all, he puts way too much trust in the manager to bring United back to success. What do I mean by that? Well, I get the impression that there is no long term concept or planning. What style of play should be implemented, which players fit into this style? Identifying and approaching the players you think will fit in according to a long-term plan and bring the club forward should be mandatory for a person in his position. Compared to other top clubs, I get the impression Woodward waits until he hires a new manager and asks him what kind of players he wants, which leads to overspending on certain players because there was no ground work done before or some players being snatched up long before (Sanches for example) we are in a position to act. While other clubs identify players that bring the team forward long before the transfer window opens and mostly regardless of who their manager is.

Another thing that bothers me, is the whole Van Gaal / Mourinho issue. Why does United hire a coach whose philosophy is clearly based on possession and domination, gives him two years to implement his style only for then hiring a coach who stands for the exact opposite: sitting back, not wanting the ball, hitting on the counter attack. Of course, as Mourinho said himself, it is not easy to change the style so quickly but wouldn't a ceo of a top club plan long-term at least to some degree to realize that this sets United back again and take this into account? So now we wasted two years implementing Van Gaal football only to scrap it all again and start from zero. Where is the concept? I just don't see it. Woodward seems to be so desperate for short term success and does not have enough knowledge about the football side of the business. So, god forbid, Mourinho fails, what is the plan then? Go back to possession football or just look at who is available and start again from zero? United need a long term plan and in my view, which i know is quite unpopular, I think United would have done better sticking with Van Gaal this season or at least get someone who can build on his style of football instead of sacrificing all the work done in a desperate attempt to get back to the top via a shortcut.

arnie_ni

Thought lvg would be the one. Still think we shouldnt have fired him.

Out of everyone he at least had a plan and idea of what he wanted to do.

Suv666

Backed all of them but kind of saw it coming with Moyes and Ole. Wasnt very surprised when Van Gaal flopped. Thought Mou would bring us our first PL after Fergie.

pastyfool

Never wanted Moyes and knew he would be a disaster .

Van Gaal was worried he was too old but optimistic we would improve and play good football so yeah wrong there.

Jose i hated as a person knew the football would stink but did think he would be more successful especially in big games which he wasn't

Ole i believed in and still do
I second this.

Lentwood

Also posted this in 2015.....just saying....

"I do think if we could get Mane at the right price he would be an excellent addition. Obviously in today's market we would be looking at £25m+ but he is young, tricky and most importantly absolutely lightning quick. I would say at the moment he is better than any of the wingers we have and given we probably need 7+ players to cover that front 4 in 4 competitions (and with Rooney looking finished) we could do a lot worse"

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Knew Moyes was a midtable manager. But since it was basically an appointment by Ferguson's, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Few months in and it's quite clear he's out of his depth.

LvG was quite curious case for me. It should have been a pretty safe appointment to transition from Ferguson hangover and Moyes disaster. Alas, it failed rather spectacularly.

Mourinho's trajectory was predictable from the start. He would spend loads, gain short term success (a cup or two), falling out with everyone and get sacked and pocket lots of dosh. It then leves United with dross and deadwoods to clear. His brand of football is painfully outdated.

IMO Ole is quite like Moyes, he has no business managing United. His resume is nothing to shout about and so far he's been shown as one trick pony with no tactical imagination. Support from some portion of folks here is commendable, if anything. But I'd imagine how pissed are those with same inclination as me seeing Ole's grinning while 2-down to Watford.

2.5 out of 4 considering Ole's already written off this season himself.

Johnson Yip

With Jose, I thought he'd sorted us out with a few trophies and a second place finish. I thought at that point, we could definitely challenge for the title and maybe even win it. Jose had a new contract, but was only allowed to sign Fred when he definitely wanted at least another two expensive players. When he didn't get what he wanted, it all went pear shaped as there was a knock on effect of players thinking they weren't good enough anymore. I didn't foresee the drop being as low as it was, but thought it was definitely a missed opportunity as at the time I thought City would drop below 95 Points in their second season (they hadn't retained a title yet) and while Liverpool's business was amazing, I didn't think they'd suddenly go over 90 Points either. Obviously, I ended up massively wrong here but still maintain that if Jose was backed, we'd have had a good crack at it and maybe won a trophy of some kind. You could see where the holes in our team were despite finishing 2nd, they weren't filled.
Couldn't have summed up my thoughts in a better way... giving Jose the contract in January but not backing him in the summer was ridiculous!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I was down on Moyes but didn't think we'd fall out of the top 4, fully on board for LvG and massively wrong on that, was excited by Jose very briefly (when we bought Pogba and Ibra) but disappointed afterwards especially when he bought Sanchez to bump Martial, and thought Ole's permanent appointment was a knee-jerk reaction to an undeserved win in Paris.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I was luke warm on Moyes at the start. When he didn't make major changes from from the beginning I knew he was in trouble. The winning side he took over was not that good and he should have known that.

I was excited about LvG.

I thought Mourinho would end in disaster in less than 3 years.

I was excited about Ole becoming permanent after his great start. I think Ole should see the campaign out and then be evaluated.

Paul_Scholes18

I did think Woodward was a clown after the first window. Might say I was proven right, but he has been worse than that.Terrrible in the market on all levels and also giving new contracts with far too much salary to players not deserving it.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Moyes - I thought he would basically be a Fergie clone and would mean more of a smooth transition, so I had no problem with his appointment at the time - I didn't want Mourinho, who seemed to be the only alternative.

LVG - I welcomed his appointment as it was someone who was experienced in winning things at the highest level (as opposed to Moyes who was clearly overwhelmed by the job).

Mourinho - I was completely against his appointment. I didn't think his personality (negative, moaning, thumbing opposition coaches in the eye) would fit with us at all. But when it was confirmed, I accepted it and tried to get behind him - for the first two seasons anyway.

Ole - I enjoyed the early run, as we all did, but I was against appointing him at that particular time because we finally seemed to have this long term plan (get a DoF in, spend 6 months looking for an appropriate manager) only to then throw it all out the window because we were drunk over a few wins. However I don't see any grounds for sacking him right now as he has been severely let down by recruitment - but that's a matter for another thread.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Serious lack of self-quote in here!

I think extra kudos goes to anyone with verifiable proof of their misgivings about these managers amidst what would generally be a tide of positivity at the time.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I would love it if mauricio pochettino will be consider for the United job if Moyes does not improve our team performances. He was my personal choice to take over since last summer when Ferguaon retired. Moreover, I will have the upmost confident for United's future, if he was the one doing the rebuilding and imbueing a new philosophy at United.
Posted this is 2014 in The Who would you want as United next manager thread. If I was at the board of United, we would have won the champions league by now. Pochettino at United rather than Spurs in the last five years would have given us one of the best United teams in history and Spurs would have most likely been relegated or competing with Everton for the most overrated, dysfunctional team.

Bwuk

Also posted this in 2015.....just saying....

"I do think if we could get Mane at the right price he would be an excellent addition. Obviously in today's market we would be looking at £25m+ but he is young, tricky and most importantly absolutely lightning quick. I would say at the moment he is better than any of the wingers we have and given we probably need 7+ players to cover that front 4 in 4 competitions (and with Rooney looking finished) we could do a lot worse"
Most people got that wrong - myself included. I thought he was a good player but wasn't sure he could make the step up.