Television White Lotus

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I got the impression Cam was oblivious to what Daphne does on the side, and the latter's actions were a coping mechanism as you say. Basically her way of an eye for an eye, which she accepts.
Yeah exactly. It was never hinted once that they had a mutual agreement that they could feck around.

UpWithRivers

I'm not sure how that could have been your takeaway. You can see from her reaction any time it's brought up that she hates it. But her coping mechanism is to ignore it and get revenge by doing that herself (the trainer's kids, Ethan) rather than to leave him and lose the great life she has otherwise. She is ultimately satisfied because she knows that for every transgression from Cam, she has her own. I don't think there's any sort of "agreement" between the two that it's ok for them to cheat.
If she hated it so much she wouldn't just whisk off Harper for a night knowing what he would be up to. She wouldn't hug and kiss and act all in love with him even when she found out for a fact he was cheating. Who acts like that? No one. Not even the slightest bit cold with him. Nothing. Her expression of pain was for Harper and Ethan because they were stuck in misery and not fking each other. When it was brought up it was a face of poor you. You need to get out of the loop of jealousy and find your own pleasure

Massive Spanner

If she hated it so much she wouldn't just whisk off Harper for a night knowing what he would be up to. She wouldn't hug and kiss and act all in love with him even when she found out for a fact he was cheating. Who acts like that? No one. Not even the slightest bit cold with him. Nothing. Her expression of pain was for Harper and Ethan because they were stuck in misery and not fking each other. When it was brought up it was a face of poor you. You need to get out of the loop of jealousy and find your own pleasure
I completely disagree, really not sure how that's what you took from it. it's pretty obvious (to me) they weren't "swingers" as you say and that Cam has no clue about what Daphne does behind his back. She does what she does to make herself ok with what he does.

UpWithRivers

Yeah exactly. It was never hinted once that they had a mutual agreement that they could feck around.
It wasn't a mutual agreement. it was an acceptance. They talked about it often. Oh the masseuse was so hot. Did you fk any Italian guys? When they went to the Villa etc. He doesn't want to know but deep down he knows

Massive Spanner

It wasn't a mutual agreement. it was an acceptance. They talked about it often. Oh the masseuse was so hot. Did you fk any Italian guys? When they went to the Villa etc. He doesn't want to know but deep down he knows
Those conversations were clearly tongue in cheek. They weren't being serious.

UpWithRivers

I completely disagree, really not sure how that's what you took from it. it's pretty obvious (to me) they weren't "swingers" as you say and that Cam has no clue about what Daphne does behind his back. She does what she does to make herself ok with what he does.
Not swingers maybe that was the wrong word. More like accepted open marriage. She took off with Ethan after Ethan just attacked him for cheating on his wife. Then they come back and Ethans all cool and they are all friends. Come on how stupid is he. They all knew.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I definitely got the impression that they were both in denial about what their other half gets up to. Not a formal open relationship but pretty close. That whole storyline was very dark. Especially when the only way to rekindle the sex life/relationship of the other two involved them also both being unfaithful.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think you're just arguing semantics on this one. Sure they both feck around on each other and know about it but don't explicitly talk about it. It helps them keep the sexual spark in their relationship and contrasted with Harper and Ethan who were faithful to each other but the spark had completely gone.

When Ethan tells Daphne on the beach that he thinks Cam has messed around with Harper she does look hurt for a brief moment (superb piece of acting btw) and I think this harks back to a conversation from an earlier episode when she told Harper that she doesn't have any girlie friends. You can put two and two together and guess why.

Massive Spanner

Not swingers maybe that was the wrong word. More like accepted open marriage. She took off with Ethan after Ethan just attacked him for cheating on his wife. Then they come back and Ethans all cool and they are all friends. Come on how stupid is he. They all knew.
I don't think anything is accepted openly. Cam is an egotistical prick and I think he has genuinely no idea that Daphne does what she does behind his back as a coping mechanism for what he does.

Anyway the creator said himself that they have a lot of "unspoken" secrets, makes it pretty clear they don't openly share this stuff. Cam is far too much of an egotistical twit to accept a life where his kids aren't actually his for feck sake.

But hey, that's the beauty of the show, it's up to the viewer to decide. Needless to say, we disagree.

Massive Spanner

I think you're just arguing semantics on this one. Sure they both feck around on each other and know about it but don't explicitly talk about it. It helps them keep the sexual spark in their relationship and contrasted with Harper and Ethan who were faithful to each other but the spark had completely gone.

When Ethan tells Daphne on the beach that he thinks Cam has messed around with Harper she does look hurt for a brief moment (superb piece of acting btw) and I think this harks back to a conversation from an earlier episode when she told Harper that she doesn't have any girlie friends. You can put two and two together and guess why.
Probably my favourite scene in the entire series, that. She nailed it.

Massive Spanner

I definitely got the impression that they were both in denial about what their other half gets up to. Not a formal open relationship but pretty close. That whole storyline was very dark. Especially when the only way to rekindle the sex life/relationship of the other two involved them also both being unfaithful.
I must be missing something. I don't remember any scenes where Cam showed any concern for what Daphne does behind his back? Whereas with Daphne, any time it was brought up with her by Harper or Dylan, there's a moment of "for feck sake, not again" followed by an act of defiance/revenge (or flat out dismissing it) for him doing it. I think, as pointed out above, the difference with the Ethan scene at the end was that she was also really disappointed in Harper this time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I must be missing something. I don't remember any scenes where Cam showed any concern for what Daphne does behind his back? Whereas with Daphne, any time it was brought up with her by Harper or Dylan, there's a moment of "for feck sake, not again" followed by an act of defiance/revenge (or flat out dismissing it) for him doing it. I think, as pointed out above, the difference with the Ethan scene at the end was that she was also really disappointed in Harper this time.
There was no possibility for Cam to show any concern about what she was up to because he was never confronted with it. The only reason Daphne had to even acknowledge Cam’s infidelity was because Ethan and Harper forced the issue. Nobody ever made any attempt to bring up Daphne being unfaithful with Cam, so it was easy for him to stay in denial. Which is definitely how Daphne would have preferred things to pan out for her.

EDIT: Who the feck is Dylan?

Massive Spanner

There was no possibility for Cam to show any concern about what she was up to because he was never confronted with it. The only reason Daphne had to even acknowledge Cam’s infidelity was because Ethan and Harper forced the issue. Nobody ever made any attempt to bring up Daphne being unfaithful with Cam, so it was easy for him to stay in denial. Which is definitely how Daphne would have preferred things to pan out for her.

EDIT: Who the feck is Dylan?
Ethan, sorry.

Meh, if nobody brought it up then I'd assume that's just the writers saying he didn't know about it. No point in inventing threads that don't exist, surely?

The idea that someone with the ego of Cam would happily accept his trophy wife fecking other people and his kids not actually being kids seems unlikely. I mean the whole reason he goes for Harper at all is because he's jealous of the success Ethan now has and wants to one-up him. I thought the whole point behind what Daphne does is that she secretly gets her revenge for the shit he does.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ethan, sorry.

Meh, if nobody brought it up then I'd assume that's just the writers saying he didn't know about it. No point in inventing threads that don't exist, surely?

The idea that someone with the ego of Cam would happily accept his trophy wife fecking other people and his kids not actually being kids seems unlikely. I mean the whole reason he goes for Harper at all is because he's jealous of the success Ethan now has and wants to one-up him. I thought the whole point behind what Daphne does is that she secretly gets her revenge for the shit he does.
None of us will ever know what was going on, so this is a completely pointless argument (in keeping with how I like to spend my time on redcafe!) but it just feels like the sort of uber-dark, dysfunctional vibe the show usually goes for that they’re both constantly fecking around and both in complete denial about this. Which results in what looks like a happier/healthier relationship than the two normies who are trying to keep a much more conventional relationship above water.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think Cam is just so self absorbed he thinks he's being more discrete than he actually is. He obviously didn't want Daphne to find out about the hookers. And yeah she gets hers but is actually a lot more discrete about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think Cam is just so self absorbed he thinks he's being more discrete than he actually is. He obviously didn't want Daphne to find out about the hookers. And yeah she gets hers but is actually a lot more discrete about it.
Plus he’s an idiot. So she doesn’t even need to be that discrete to keep affairs off his radar.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Lucia :drool:

We worked out by about the 4th episode that the intro was providing hints to the story of season 2, cool concept. Enjoyed the season a little bit more than season 1, thought the plots were a little crisper. Although I did miss the manager from S1, what a character. :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Another good episode.

I swear I saw Aubrey Plaza's tit pop out in that beach scene and thought it was a mistake until the scene near the end :lol: I guess they just left it in.
:lol: I spotted this too but the missus didn't. What does that say about us? :nervous:

nickyboy1981

None of us will ever know what was going on, so this is a completely pointless argument (in keeping with how I like to spend my time on redcafe!) but it just feels like the sort of uber-dark, dysfunctional vibe the show usually goes for that they’re both constantly fecking around and both in complete denial about this. Which results in what looks like a happier/healthier relationship than the two normies who are trying to keep a much more conventional relationship above water.
I get what you mean but I wouldn't say they were happy. There was one look in particular in one of the later episodes when the guy out of the inbetweeners film was brushing his teeth, his wife shouted him a few times to come speak to the kids on the phone and he looked miserable, had to steel himself then emerge all happy.

They were acting even more for me, at the least the other couple recognised their issues and were trying to work through them. Which ultimately led to the banging again and finding happiness at the end..

That's the way I saw it anyway, but I think your right, the show for a while made out everything was rosy between the cheaters.

Edit, sorry I completely miss-read your post haha, I guess I am saying the same thing :)

Rauður Djöfull

Finished with it and now I don't know what to watch

Happy they have renewed for season 3 at least. Great series!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Controversial opinion : If Season 2 had came out first, nobody would like it and it would have bombed.

Season 1 was uncomfortably enjoyable tv. Season 2 was bang average.

mu4c_20le

I'm surprised S2 is rated so highly, thought it was a big drop off myself. Acting was good but plots were meh.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No I think it would've done great either way.
Fair go. I know plenty that rate season 2. I thought it was too expansive and really silly. Honestly don’t think it would have got a cult following had it been season one.

Jennifer Coolidge turned up to 11 went from watchably ridiculous to toe curlingly awful.

The young girl that was her PA was fabulous though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think I enjoyed Season 2 more actually but both were good.
I know many that have said the same tbf. Hence the ‘controversial’ tag.

I thought season 2 was 6/10 with some notable great bits.

Plaza was (and always is) flawless. Cooliges PA was brilliant. Almost everything else was a bit flat.

It looked better, was shot better. But felt tired compared to S1.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Controversial opinion : If Season 2 had came out first, nobody would like it and it would have bombed.

Season 1 was uncomfortably enjoyable tv. Season 2 was bang average.
Interesting as I started S2 last night and it didn’t grip me at all the way S1 did, but I’ll stick with it.

I wanted more Armand!

FriedClams

Season 1 is one of the better pieces of writing in tv history IMO. Season 2 is highly predictable, except for who actually died which was so unpredictable because of how stupid that whole plot was.

Red_Aaron

Really enjoyed season 1
Season 2 didn't grip me at all, stopped with a couple left to go - might finish it one day but might not

FriedClams

This is... Out there. What about it did you find so brilliant?
The acting was superb, which helped obviously but I found that the way they spoke about difficult subjects was just so different from other shows/movies that explore issues with race/equality.