Who is going to be the Next Prime Minister of the UK? | Be your stubborn best

montpelier

I am still not seeing Boris Johnson as PM. They won't actually let him, surely?

NinjaFletch

The Fixed term act is unimportant surely? On the grounds no act of Parliament can bind another Parliament surely its a simple case of repealing the act if it was needed?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Yeah, I don't think the Tories would have a problem with calling a general election at this point. Labour just don't have the support to beat them, they might as well do it and then they can say that their new leader (Johnson, probably) has the support of the people
I think Labour could get in on the promise of a re-referendum or similar.

x42bn6

I think Labour could get in on the promise of a re-referendum or similar.
I'm not sure - it would look like sour grapes and we have to remember that Leave won the first time.

Labour could only get in on this message if it turns out that Leave is making an absolute mess of negotiations. But even so, I think the EU would not be happy at an attempt at a re-referendum. I mean, what happens if Leave wins again? Even more financial turmoil and uncertainty! And it would make Labour even more unelectable than the Conservatives they displaced.

Short of a revolt towards the Leave camp, I think a re-referendum is unlikely, not without concessions to halt Article 50 (maybe dropping some of Cameron's negotiated terms?). But that would look weak too.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I'm not sure - it would look like sour grapes and we have to remember that Leave won the first time.

Labour could only get in on this message if it turns out that Leave is making an absolute mess of negotiations. But even so, I think the EU would not be happy at an attempt at a re-referendum. I mean, what happens if Leave wins again? Even more financial turmoil and uncertainty! And it would make Labour even more unelectable than the Conservatives they displaced.

Short of a revolt towards the Leave camp, I think a re-referendum is unlikely, not without concessions to halt Article 50 (maybe dropping some of Cameron's negotiated terms?). But that would look weak too.
A promise to reverse the referendum then. They didn't agree to it after all, they owe nothing.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If the second one were different then how could you argue against best of three?
I only mention it because it was his idea. Use the out vote to negotiate better terms, then have a 2nd referendums

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I am thinking of starting a new party myself called "Not UKIP or the Bloody Tories". I imagine there is quite a large potential demographic of voters there.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Gove showed what a poor public speaker he is in the live debates, so probably him as the next PM.
Tom Watson put it nicely of Gove he said he is a 'misrable pip squeak of a man'. In Goves speech on friday he said something like 'we will draw upon the deep wisdom of many people', essentially he wanted to say expert but he'd just dimissed them as being irrelevant in the election campaign.

Tyrion

Actually i think Boris might weasel out of PM position, it's not a surprise that both Boris and Gove wanted Cameron to continue, the next PM will have a huge hell on his hand and probably will end up a scapegoat rather than inspired leader of independence.
That's why I'd love for him to get the job. He's put the UK on this path, he should be the one to see it through.

Dante

Average bang
If the Lib Dems can find someone charismatic, the promise of annulling Brexit might be enough to take them over the top. Particularly if erstwhile Labour voters have nobody worth voting for in their own party.

Xeno

If the Lib Dems can find someone charismatic, the promise of annulling Brexit might be enough to take them over the top. Particularly if erstwhile Labour voters have nobody worth voting for in their own party.
The fact that Farron came out and said this, and it made zero news, doesn't bode well. Are they even the fourth party now?

Ixion

Whoever goes next has to deal with breaking up the Union and the consequences in Northern Ireland. You assume it will be Boris but seems like whoever it is won't be able to win whatever they do.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's got to be Boris.

1) He suggested / considered holding a second referendum after renegotiation.

There is only one way to get the change we need, and that is to vote to go, because all EU history shows that they only really listen to a population when it says No
2) His ego is the only one big enough to overrule the will of an entire nation. He's happy to (try) to play football on live TV, even if he plays it like rugby

3) He is a man of big ideas. See his repeated attempts to put something, pretty much anything (he has suggested parks, buildings, airport runways and more) into the middle of the River Thames

4) He's never held a proper office, so hopefully he'll chicken out

Only Boris can save us

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
There's only about four Lib Dems in the country so I suppose at least they have a 25% of finding someone.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Boris is a clown .He may keep some amused.But outside of London he's not so loved.
Boris may have been voted Mayor, but only because everyone knew the role gave him no actual, socially consequential power. London has always voted overwhelmingly Labour at (modern day) GEs, even during Tory landslide victories, and would definitely not vote for him as PM.

This increasingly prevalent (and seemingly Brexit swaying) view of London as the ultimate elitist establishment strong hold, and enemy of the poor huddled Northern masses, is so wrong headed. At least when it comes to voting patterns. It's the outskirt Essexes, Home Counties and Midsommer bumblefecks that have fecked over those interests (and would vote for Boris) whilst Londoners have pretty consistently voted in line with all the other large industrial cities, up North and elsewhere.

Apart from this time, of course, where we broke ranks to outright reject, erm.... Boris.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
London has always voted overwhelmingly Labour at (modern day) GEs, even during Tory landslide victories, and would definitely not vote for him as PM.
I wouldn't describe it as 'overwhelmingly'. 2010 was a toss-up.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Tbf, that was also the year the young and idealistic jumped ship to the Lib Dems in protest at Blair/Brown/Iraq and a number of things. The Tory vote was still somehow lower than it was last year, after 12 years of a Labour government.

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
As an American, everytime I see US politicians do something stupid, I used to think to myself, "this would never happen in Britain."

How wrong I was. If Boris fecking Johnson actually becomes PM, it's the equivalent of Trump being elected in the US and you guys have lost all right to call Americans stupid.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As an American, everytime I see US politicians do something stupid, I used to think to myself, "this would never happen in Britain."

How wrong I was. If Boris fecking Johnson actually becomes PM, it's the equivalent of Trump being elected in the US and you guys have lost all right to call Americans stupid.
Trump is at least a competent business man, Boris Johnson on other hand doesn't even seem competent enough to walk through a door without getting his pocket caught on the door handle.

Minimalist

A real void has opened up. Cameron, as already stated, will probably go down as the worst PM in a century and yet looks in a different league, in terms of political stature, to those that could replace him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hodgson,Farage or Boris. Any clown would do