Who is the better player: Mbappe or Henry?

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Henry has a bigger and better body of work than Mbappe. Was more entertaining to watch, did more in the build up and, I think, more likely to win your team league titles than mbappe.

I'd pick mbappe ahead of Henry for any kind of must win game though. Not that I think Henry was necessarily a bottler, but mbappe delivers on every stage with no regard for magnitude of the stage.

In contrast, Henry always seemed a bit cowed in teams where he wasn't the standout player that the others would give the ball to when they didn't know what to do.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
So difficult to compare as Henry is retired and Mbappe is so young still. But at Mbappe's age, he already has a world cup and has scored in a WC final, so if you're comparing like for like at Mbappe's age then I would say him.

Overall it has to be Henry but that could easily change over the next 10 years.

As of today its still Henry.

He was unstoppable at his peak and showed it against the best defences the world had to offer, at a time when defenders were at the top of their game. I can't remember any defender truly figuring him out, whereas Mbappe has been kept quiet a little too easily a few times by us and others.

Mbappe's game remains a little one dimensional, he hasn't developed the close control and decision making the way you would have hoped, probably because in France he doesn't need to. Goals v cannon fodder in international football doesn't change that either. He is still too reliant on his pace. He is only 23 though and has plenty of time to learn.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I like Henry more, more creative, more to his game, far more iconic and charismatic.

Mbappe better, he is just better at what he does, and has shown it on literally every stage he has played in. Far greater individually in Europe and internationally, only asterisk is the Ligue 1 and not winning the CL yet.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think Henry was better, I also don't know if he was worse. Now if I had to pick one to save my team during a key game, I would pick Mbappé 100% of the time.
Pretty much this.

It’s quite insane that Mbappé is already in the conversation at his age and if he wins this World Cup and ends up tournament’s best player, which seems like a very real possibility, you can probably already put him ahead…

Although the most important part is that, freak injuries aside, Mbappé will be remembered as a better player when he retires.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
Difficult to compare considering Mbappe is still youngish and Henry has a whole career behind him.

Henry played for bigger clubs and has won the premier league and World Cup so I’d give it him by a small margin but Mbappe certainly has the talent and ability to match him but not whilst he remains at PSG.

Glorio

Henry was obviously an amazing player and certainly was more well rounded than 23 yo Mbappé. There's a huge amount of respect for him all over the world. But the description you gave could also apply to Mbappé. He untangled the game a couple of hours ago by delivering a great assist to Giroud, then scored twice. He untangled the game against Argentina in 2018 by dribbling half of there team, starting in his own half, before provoking a PK. He untangles games with the countless assists he provides.
This, however for Henry, was a regular theme in his best years at Arsenal, I will concede that I get the sense that Mbappe is more impactful and has a bigger profile for France than Henry did, as he played with the maestro that was Zizou, but let's be honest, the level of club football is higher, and that's where most games are played.

Henry, for a United fan was just difficult to comprehend. The nutter regularly took games almost single handedly and turned them upside down when you were hoping Arsenal would slip up. Lot's of times he'd start moves from midfield and you just had this sense of inevitability which he'd duly go and confirm

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I voted Henry for now but if Mbappe carries on as he Is this will be a non-contest by the end of his career.

ROFLUTION

Hard to really tell when Mbappe plays in Ligue 1. Hard to combine parameters except for on the international scenes

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As of today its still Henry.

He was unstoppable at his peak and showed it against the best defences the world had to offer, at a time when defenders were at the top of their game. I can't remember any defender truly figuring him out, whereas Mbappe has been kept quiet a little too easily a few times by us and others.

Mbappe's game remains a little one dimensional, he hasn't developed the close control and decision making the way you would have hoped, probably because in France he doesn't need to. Goals v cannon fodder in international football doesn't change that either. He is still too reliant on his pace. He is only 23 though and has plenty of time to learn.
Except he was regularly stopped outside of the PL. I loathe the term nostalgia, but his PL feats are romanticised and revisionism is abundant when his game is extrapolated upon - he was never the force outside the league as he was in it, not even close. If he was, a thread like this would have no legs, but there’s no question at all of who’s a superior player at international level and Mbappè is already a bigger force in the CL than Henry proved to be.

Mbappé’s game is one-dimensional, but in that predictability comes the threat and more importantly, the effectiveness. Mbappè is deciding bigger games at a steady clip, that can’t be brushed under the table, especially not for domestic football.

Oranges038

Except he was regularly stopped outside of the PL. I loathe the term nostalgia, but his PL feats are romanticised and revisionism is abundant when his game is extrapolated upon - he was never the force outside the league as he was in it, not even close. If he was, a thread like this would have no legs, but there’s no question at all of who’s a superior player at international level and Mbappè is already a bigger force in the CL than Henry proved to be.

Mbappé’s game is one-dimensional, but in that predictability comes the threat and more importantly, the effectiveness. Mbappè is deciding bigger games at a steady clip, that can’t be brushed under the table, especially not for domestic football.
Henry won 2 international tournaments and was top scorer in both for France. Also helped get the team to two WC finals.

So far he's done more than Mbappe at international level.

Steve Bruce

This is such a premature poll, Mbappe needs to move to a decent league and have 5 years at the top. Then comparisons could be made

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was going to say — I think Henry’s a bit of an iffy player to compare against on this forum because he was the player in the league for the formative years of this forums biggest demographic. The fact that Mbappe is even in the conversation at the moment is some feat for the guy

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Henry won 2 international tournaments and was top scorer in both for France. Also helped get the team to two WC finals.

So far he's done more than Mbappe at international level.
Did you watch those performances? Do you think they are on par with what Mbappe has, and is, doing?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Mad. You have a player many consider to the the best premier league player ever, in a team that never dominated. Then you have mbappe in PSG. No reason why he won't be better than Henry but crazy to think he's already better for winning a world cup. Some of the greatest ever never even stepped foot in the tournament.

Henry has a bigger and better body of work than Mbappe. Was more entertaining to watch, did more in the build up and, I think, more likely to win your team league titles than mbappe.

I'd pick mbappe ahead of Henry for any kind of must win game though. Not that I think Henry was necessarily a bottler, but mbappe delivers on every stage with no regard for magnitude of the stage.

In contrast, Henry always seemed a bit cowed in teams where he wasn't the standout player that the others would give the ball to when they didn't know what to do.
Where's his champions league with PSG then?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did you watch those performances? Do you think they are on par with what Mbappe has, and is, doing?
They are not. Henry was always a support player for France and never became a player able to power the team forward.

nakpodiareuben

Henry never had the impact mbappe is currently having in the french national team. Henry is an Arsenal legend. Mpabbe is France golden boy

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I was going to say — I think Henry’s a bit of an iffy player to compare against on this forum because he was the player in the league for the formative years of this forums biggest demographic. The fact that Mbappe is even in the conversation at the moment is some feat for the guy
Yes for sure. It's sacrilege to go 'against' Henry on forums of such demographic, but challenging what's being said is the purpose of a forum and it is interesting to read proposed counterpoints.

There's no hesitation from me in picking Mbappe in terms of big stage games. I don't think he's close to the aesthetic par of Henry, but that doesn't matter, ultimately.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mad. You have a player many consider to the the best premier league player ever, in a team that never dominated. Then you have mbappe in PSG. No reason why he won't be better than Henry but crazy to think he's already better for winning a world cup. Some of the greatest ever never even stepped foot in the tournament.

Where's his champions league with PSG then?
You know, you can have excellent performances without having won the CL. I know it's a weird concept for some but it's real.

nakpodiareuben

Take mbappe out of the french team now and they are just an average. He is making them world cup favorite

JPRouve

Scout
Mostly because Benzema missed out on about 5/6 years of international football. He is on 37 and im pretty sure would have taken the record before Giroud.
It's important to remember that Benzema has a worse ratio than Henry who himself doesn't have a great ratio. Both of them have a worse ratio than Giroud and it was already the case when Benzema was the starter for France before 2016.

RedStarUnited

It's important to remember that Benzema has a worse ratio than Henry who himself doesn't have a great ratio. Both of them have a worse ratio than Giroud and it was already the case when Benzema was the starter for France before 2016.
Benzemas scoring has matured a lot in the last 5 years. And also the French team got much better creatively in the last 5 years. So I think its safe to assume Benzema would have average atleast 3 goals a year in the last 5 years to equal Henry. And in return, him playing would have meant Giroud isnt playing.

dasty

Too many people let nostalgia cloud their judgement. Henry was incredible in his prime and was our chief tormentor, but he had accomplished little outside of PL. There is a reason why Arsenal had done nothing of note in the CL. Mock PSG all you want but even they were closer to winning the CL than Arsenal ever did. They were very good in PL, but PL is not the be-all and end-all of football, not even close. Henry has 50 goals in CL throughout his career, and Mbappe is currently sitting on 40 goals while being only 23.

Yes Henry played a lot of games for France and was their top goalscorer until yesterday, but he was never their main man. Mbappe meanwhile is the golden boy of one of the most star-studded French squad the world had ever seen, and had already scored in a World Cup final as a teenager.

Oranges038

I did, it's not about who is the better individual performer in WC games for France. It's who is the better player.

Henry didn't carry the team. He was top scorer in two winning tournaments, Desailly's red card robbed him of a final appearance in 98, he might have added to his goals that day. He was one of the best players at the 06 WC when they finished second, where he was also France's joint top scorer along with Zidane. Until yesterday he was France's all time top scorer.

He was also absolutely awesome for Arsenal for a long stretch and scored some of the best goals in the league during his time there. He might not have won in Europe with Arsenal, but neither has Mbappe so far with PSG.

I think Mbappe is brilliant and he hasn't even hit his peak yet, but until he wins at least one more international tournament and scores another 25 or so international goals, goes and plays in a better league, wins the CL and proves himself every week for about 5 or 6 years against semi decent teams. Henry will remain the better player.

JPRouve

Scout
I did, it's not about who is the better individual performer in WC games for France. It's who is the better player.

Henry didn't carry the team. He was top scorer in two winning tournaments, Desailly's red card robbed him of a final appearance in 98, he might have added to his goals that day. He was one of the best players at the 06 WC when they finished second, where he was also France's joint top scorer along with Zidane. Until yesterday he was France's all time top scorer.

He was also absolutely awesome for Arsenal for a long stretch and scored some of the best goals in the league during his time there. He might not have won in Europe with Arsenal, but neither has Mbappe so far with PSG.

I think Mbappe is brilliant and he hasn't even hit his peak yet, but until he wins at least one more international tournament and scores another 25 or so international goals, goes and plays in a better league, wins the CL and proves himself every week for about 5 or 6 years against semi decent teams. Henry will remain the better player.
The logic that you are following doesn't judge the players but their raw stats and your perception of the different leagues. By the same logic Platini would be a worse goalscorer for France than Henry since he has less goals?

Oranges038

The logic that you are following doesn't judge the players but their raw stats and your perception of the different leagues. By the same logic Platini would be a worse goalscorer for France than Henry since he has less goals?
Ligue 1 is shit. That's not a perception that's just the way it is.

Henry has done more and won more in the game, both at club level and for France. He has a careers worth of achievements behind him. If Mbappe finished playing tomorrow Henry would be regarded as the better player by the majority. But, in ten years that could be different.

Until Mbappe goes and plays and performs to higher levels outside of that shit league, there'll always be an question mark beside him when debates about his ability come up, regardless of what he does with France.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Mbappe is a better, more influential player for France - his role is chief tormentor and most influential and decisive in the team taking on the burdens Henry could not handle and didn't want to handle. I don't see how there's an argument for Henry in that sphere; Mbappe thrives in the same spotlight Henry didn't want any part of. He doesn't need a career of work to prove this as even if his international career was paused right now, it is still more impressive than Henry’s.
Yes, the league. Henry’s merit as arguably best ever PL player holds to this day, but his best level not being transferable to the bigger, harder stages is also something that holds in such a discussion. We're seeing Mbappe continually thrive on the larger, greater platforms
So if France win this World Cup and he is the instrumental component in them doing so, nothing changes?

Handling and thriving in the most pressurised environments is a major component in establishing and considering greatness, don't you think?

Skills

Snitch
Mbappe has also won the league with Monaco against PSGs juggernaut. That in itself was a feat which seems to be ignored

El Jefe

There is a much bigger question here, how much do players actually dominate in these tournaments?

Aside from Messi and Ronaldo, I don't think most players can say they dominated a whole champions league campaign. I don't think Zidane, Ronaldinho, R9 etc did. They had good games sprinkled with a few great performances and were sometimes fortunate to be part of teams thag could make it to the final. Henry generally had good UCL performances with Arsenal, he usually scored more than 5 goals in any given UCL campaign. That is discounting assists he had too. In that 5 year run, Arsenal as a team did not perform well enough to go further, despite Henry generally performing. It's not the NBA, where a player has a lot of influence sometimes. In football, the overall quality of a team determines success in the Champions League. He did great at Barca in the UCL, which only proves that point.
We saw Benzema do it last year, that was incredible.

My wider point is replicating your domestic form in Europe. While Henry had some standout games in Europe he was never the same Henry in the knockout stages, so it's less about him winning the CL in a carry job and more about maintaining that level.

Henry in the PL was a god, he dominated games and took the piss out of teams on a weekly basis. As mentioned 05/06 was the only time he did this consistently for Arsenal and I feel that counts against him a bit. The other greats like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane even Raul and RVN all replicated domestic form in the CL.

Mbappe hasn't done this consistently in the CL yet either but I think it's only a matter of time because he's clearly showing it in the World Cup which is arguably the pinnacle of football.

I get your point about Arsenal not performing well enough but if you team can go unbeaten and you are arguably the best player in the world, you should be held to those standards.

JPRouve

Scout
Ligue 1 is shit. That's not a perception that's just the way it is.

Henry has done more and won more in the game, both at club level and for France. He has a careers worth of achievements behind him. If Mbappe finished playing tomorrow Henry would be regarded as the better player by the majority. But, in ten years that could be different.

Until Mbappe goes and plays and performs to higher levels outside of that shit league, there'll always be an question mark beside him when debates about his ability come up, regardless of what he does with France.
Even if Ligue 1 was shit. Mbappé demolishes every single ratios that Henry has in the CL and with France, he is also a more important player for France than Henry has ever been. Mbappé has 40 goals and 22 assists in 60 UEFA competitions games against 50 goals and 16 assists for Henry in 112 games. In the better competitions Mbappé beats the brakes out of Henry.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Henry was World Class. One of the best players of the last 25 years.
Mbappe is GOAT level. One of the best player of all time. Simply needs a little more time.

It is like when Ronaldo exploded on to the scene for Portugal. He could clearly do some things that Figo couldn't but he needed time, titles, longevity to truly surpass the great master. Today there is no discussion and it won't be a discussion regarding Mbappe or Henry in 5 years either.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Henry played in the top leagues and constantly was one of the best players in the premier league. Mbappé plays in the French league. Until he moves and tests himself in a better league, Henry is miles ahead.

Oranges038

Even if Ligue 1 was shit. Mbappé demolishes every single ratios that Henry has in the CL and with France, he is also a more important player for France than Henry has ever been. Mbappé has 40 goals and 22 assists in 60 UEFA competitions games against 50 goals and 16 assists for Henry in 112 games. In the better competitions Mbappé beats the brakes out of Henry.
If PSG weren't tying him up with millions every day/week/month, he wouldn't even be there so Ligue one would even part of the discussion. Like Benzema, he just needs to get away from it, it's not even a challenge for him.

Mbappe is a better, more influential player for France - his role is chief tormentor and most influential and decisive in the team taking on the burdens Henry could not handle and didn't want to handle. I don't see how there's an argument for Henry in that sphere; Mbappe thrives in the same spotlight Henry didn't want any part of. He doesn't need a career of work to prove this as even if his international career was paused right now, it is still more impressive than Henry’s.
Yes, the league. Henry’s merit as arguably best ever PL player holds to this day, but his best level not being transferable to the bigger, harder stages is also something that holds in such a discussion. We're seeing Mbappe continually thrive on the larger, greater platforms

So if France win this World Cup and he is the instrumental component in them doing so, nothing changes?

Handling and thriving in the most pressurised environments is a major component in establishing and considering greatness, don't you think?
I'm not denying any of that, I think he's a hell of a player. And in 5-10 years, we can tot up all their goals, assists, trophies, role, impact or whatever and I'm sure we'll be able to say without any doubt at all that Mbappe is definitely the better or the two

Taking careers as a whole, as it is now, Henry is/was still a better player.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I never realised Henry was this badly overrated by PL fans.