Who is the most UNDERrated player in PL history?

jesperjaap

Dont think most players mentioned have been under rated. For me Ricardo Carvalho was world class and hardly ever gets mentioned when we talk about great premiership centre backs.
Tugay is loved by his fellow players (virtually every player I have seen do there 1-11 that played with him, he is the one they rave about), Im pretty sure it was him ran rings around us for Galatassary years ago and he was always often unnoticed but did everything perfectly for Blackburn, great player, the other one who I think is one of the best foreigners to have graced our league and like Tugay should have played for an elite club would have to be Jay Jay Okocha.
Finally purely for never having won individual awards which is a bit of a joke would have to be Aguero

Monkey bus

Fernandinho is the new Kante in that he’s the most over rated under rated player in the league.

Both good players like.

pauldyson1uk

Why are players like Irwin, viera, pires, beckham, Ian Wright being named as underrated players in this thread?These are players often recognised as being all time greats of the premier league era. Aguero is an interesting one, despite being seen as a world class striker for his entire time here he has never made the premier league 11 of the season which is astonishing. Carrick is another who was underrated for a long time and mainly by united fans (me included) but is seen now as a great player and definately should have far more England caps.
Never gets the credit he deserves , even by United fans.
For me never had a bad game.

RMD83

Never gets the credit he deserves , even by United fans.
For me never had a bad game.
He’s loved by united fans and considered by many as the best LB we ever had. How is he underrated? Maybe it’s just from a generation of united fans post Irwin because I have found that the vast majority of fans of my age and older hold him in higher regard than Evra. Also whenever you hear a panel discussing the best players of all time in premier league history his name regularly comes up for LB. in fact it usually comes down to Irwin vs Ashley Cole for the best ever (in PL era).

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’m sure he’ll have been mentioned but has to be Michael Carrick. Started getting the recognition of how good he was towards the end of his career but it too little too late.

tomaldinho1

Where are these people who don't rate Carrick? Even fans of other teams accept he was a class player and that our change of fortunes coincided with his arrival.
You'd be surprised how often I used to hear my non United supporting friends knocking him. I think some people just have a very basic sense of who is good and bad, rather than which players compliment a team as a whole.

Prime example being our country's tragic attempt at persisting to fail with finding a way Gerrard & Lampard could play together

RMD83

You'd be surprised how often I used to hear my non United supporting friends knocking him. I think some people just have a very basic sense of who is good and bad, rather than which players compliment a team as a whole.

Prime example being our country's tragic attempt at persisting to fail with finding a way Gerrard & Lampard could play together
I would say that untill maybe 2012 carrick was about as loved at united (by united fans) as fellaini. Boring sideways carrick. And I have said in this thread myself that I was guilty myself. Maybe not underrated but certainly under appreciated. It was only when the legends we had loved in midfield had left, retired or were getting old that the acknowledgement of what carrick offered was really seen. I would have sold him for peanuts at one point but like Giggs once said “he’s so good at what he does, it looks effortless so some fans feel like he isn’t doing much” (not an exact quote but something along those lines).

Renegade

He’s loved by united fans and considered by many as the best LB we ever had. How is he underrated? Maybe it’s just from a generation of united fans post Irwin because I have found that the vast majority of fans of my age and older hold him in higher regard than Evra. Also whenever you hear a panel discussing the best players of all time in premier league history his name regularly comes up for LB. in fact it usually comes down to Irwin vs Ashley Cole for the best ever (in PL era).
I might be way of the mark here but could it be because his quiet boring looking with a boring name that people assume he may be underrated? As far as I’m aware his always mentioned as one of the best LB in PL history alongside Cole. He gets rated higher than Evra in all time UTD 11s. Even sometimes at RB over Neville. I think his rated pretty fairly.

RochaRoja

Probably not the most underrated but Sylvain Distin was very underrated during most of his career and is almost forgotten now. He had everything as a central defender and I still can’t quite understand how Arsenal didn’t sign him during their transitional period in the mid ‘00s. Their trophy drought would’ve been over much earlier with a centre back of his class playing instead of some of the muppets Wenger signed.

RMD83

I might be way of the mark here but could it be because his quiet boring looking with a boring name that people assume he may be underrated? As far as I’m aware his always mentioned as one of the best LB in PL history alongside Cole. He gets rated higher than Evra in all time UTD 11s. Even sometimes at RB over Neville. I think his rated pretty fairly.
It might be. Then again it maybe internet culture where people create a narrative that doesn’t exist. Some of the most celebrated players in recent history have been named as underrated on this thread (some are good calls as well in my opinion). Irwin for example is beloved and respected by united fans and neutrals alike. Anytime I’ve seen a panel of journalists, ex pros, pundits his name comes up at least in the top 3 but his name has come up at least 10 times in this thread as if he is some sort of relic of yesteryear that time has forgotten. It’s baffling.

Raven

Recognised as one of if the best CB in the last 20 years in the PL? Your trolling surely?
You might think that, but almost anyone I speak to from work, etc. Think he was overrated and couldn't really work out what he does.

kiristao

Amongst the United players I would have to go with Carrick. Was one of the first names on the team sheet during our most successful period in England and Europe and yet people think we overpaid for him at 16ml.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aguero is probably a fair shout given the lack of official individual recognition he has recieved.

simplyared

I've already put Nani's name forward. A lot going for Aguero which I would also go along with. Certainly doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I'd have him as the most successful South American player to grace the PL. If not foreign player!

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
David Silva. Highly rated and still under rated in my view. He has just been outstanding for so many years now, still somehow seems to be getting better, and is becoming increasingly difficult to replace. Personally think he’s in the discussion for the best ever in the PL in his position.

Bwuk

David Silva. Highly rated and still under rated in my view. He has just been outstanding for so many years now, still somehow seems to be getting better, and is becoming increasingly difficult to replace. Personally think he’s in the discussion for the best ever in the PL in his position.
Maybe for longevity, but has there ever been a time when Silvas been looked at as Citys best player.

I can think of quite a few I'd have ahead of him either wide, at #10 or as a creative midfielder.

Unbelievable player but not in the PL best discussion imo.

Torres never gets the credit he deserves for just how good he was at Liverpool due to how bad he was at Chelsea. Fletcher got himself as a key member of our squad, got a career threatening illness and managed to reinvent and extend his career. Mikel Arteta is another who was class.

Kag

After reading the Robert Pirès thread I’m tempted to say Ryan bloody Giggs. Anyway, I’ve got a few:

Alan Shearer was a phenomenal striker and one of the best out and out goal scorers the game has ever seen. That good. I think it’s forgotten somewhat.

Roy Keane is criminally underrated by anybody under the age of 25. Funnily enough, he’s more renowned for acting like a twat with Shearer and being a ‘hardman’ than he is for his incredible ability to play football.

And, bear with me, John Terry. It’s already been suggested in here that Carvalho made him look good, which is total fantasy. He gets no credit for being great on the ball. His passing, particularly on his left peg, was as good as anything you’ll see in England today. Yes, better than the walking miracle that is apparently Virgil Van Dijk. For some reason he has this reputation as being a bit of a bruiser but he was that and a whole lot more.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Maybe for longevity, but has there ever been a time when Silvas been looked at as Citys best player.

I can think of quite a few I'd have ahead of him either wide, at #10 or as a creative midfielder.

Unbelievable player but not in the PL best discussion imo.

Torres never gets the credit he deserves for just how good he was at Liverpool due to how bad he was at Chelsea. Fletcher got himself as a key member of our squad, got a career threatening illness and managed to reinvent and extend his career. Mikel Arteta is another who was class.
I've thought he's their best player since they signed him.

meninred

Another player-Teddy sheringham. Criminally underrated.One of the most intelligent players i saw in premiere league era.He plays with purpose.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Came on to post exactly this.

Also, played in a team containing Muzzy, Eadie, Impy, Guppy and Cottee, which always amused me.
Kasey in goal as well.

Edit: Gerry (Taggart) in defence too. Not to mention that Impey and Cottee were Andy and Tony.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
sorry for my english

I will name a few players :

All the following players are actually very good and underated as fuuuuck !!

Charlie Adam - his corners alone payed for his transfer fee.
Jordan Henderson - Under SAF this guy would have become massive, very talented player with heart, desire, leadership.
Mutu - don't do drugs
Anderson - he would walk in United's team right now. This guy had fabregas(best midfielder that time) in his pocket and sent Pogba packing to italy. He would walk even in Brazil's team right now
Phil Jones - injuries destroyed his career, if not for them for sure he was the next Rio, captain of England and Manchester United. Probably saving Mourinho's career as well.
Andy Carrol - the media and the money involved in his transfer affected him to much, just like Torres. Poor fellow! he was better then people sought, bunch of low life haters! He was solid, good in the air, strong, classic number 9 and probably better suited in the 90s or 80s or 40s.
Heinze - Very underated by united fans because he wanted to move to Liverpool. However this guy was the tevez of fullbacks, very agressive and could actually defend unlike Evra. He played for Real madrid as well, wich means something. Real buys only the best of the best. They took Ronaldo, Beckahm, RvN and Heinze from us, Bastards !!!
Fellaini - there are few players in the world that can give tactical options like Fellaini.
Joe Allen - you don't get to be called the welsh Xavi for nothing
Lovren - he is no Rio, but let's face it he is not as bad as people say it is. Has 150appeareaces for Pool, regular for Belgium. There is not much between him and our 5 central defenders
Adebayor - his CV sais it all : Monaco, Arsenal, City, Real Madrid, Spurs. One time had by far highest cumulative tranfer fee in the world, next to another great player Ibrahimovie Big clubs pay big money for this big guy. Why? because he was that good and criminally underated by football fans

Wellbeck - unlucky because he caught SAF last years, and caught Rooney,RvP, Hernandez in the team, and caught Moyes era, and caught LvG era, and the big star mothefecker muppet jiiz Falcao came in, and moved to Arsenal diying days as a top4 club. Ths guy is the definiton of unlucky, my boy Danny would star right now under Ole, and wouldnt look out of place next to Lingard, Martial, Rashford and be valued at around 70mil in todays money.
Zaha - like Wellbeck also caught SAF last days, would have became a great player for us, especially on that right wing of ours facepalm, better then Nani
Schweinsteiger- multi title winner, world cup winner, CL winner, one the best midfielders in the world, you just cannot be washed up and a finished article at 31 years old. Clearly there was something behind the scenes that we don't know about.
Smalling - he would be world class next to a Rio or Vidic. But how can he be any good when he is partered with Jones, Rojo,Bailly, Evans, Keane, etc. Not his fault
Bosingwa - lots of people downplay of how good he was. Ferocious on that right back.
Mignolet - jiiiz what defenders had in front of him. Imagine him in front of of Rio-Vidic-Evra or just 1 good defender like VVD.
Scott Parker - If you ask somebody to name some great english midfielders of the last decade, most forget about Scott. Seriously a midfield of Scott-Scholes-Carrick would have been better for England rather then Gerrad-Lampard-Joe Cole who achieved nothing but humiliation from carrabian type of teams at tournament finals.
Macheda- Seriously 1 goal 1 title, Gerrard 186 goals 0 titles
Stewart Downing - There is more to football the just score or assist
Lord Bendther - I heard he once faked and ankle injury to give his teammates a chance to play, hehe joking aside. Now seriously Bendther scored 30 goals for Denmark, how many messi did for Denmark?

Darren Bent - Most underated striker in premier league history, seriosly this guy has like a 1 goal in 2.3 matches ratio done in Top english flight not some dutch or turkish league. He would value around 100mill in today's money, 75 like lukaku +25 because his english. Oh and did I say he has done it not at a top team, not having world class midfielders to feed him goals day in day out.

Di Maria - galactico at Real Madrid, where he was free to express his talents. Did not make it in the premier league, not because the league is hard or different, but because of LVG and prison football. Even Zidane would have failed to make an impression. Also because his argie, and United and argies don't mix, should have went to City, like Tevez.
Harry Maguire - if he had an exotic name, top english clubs would be all over him. But his name maaan, says it all, inspires fear, not another average english defender.
Janujaz - Imagine if his father only gave him more vitamins or those damn hormons or whatever magic potion Messi took when he was young.
Cleverly- wouldnt have looked out of place in Barcelona, unfortunally for him Barca was stacked in midfield at that time.
Schneiderlein- clearly should have moved to Liverpool
Soldado - clearly bale took away all his goals from him, by not passing to him just to shoot and take all the glory, managing a transfer to Real Madrid and winning 3CLs in a row.
Jack Rodwell - stayed to long at Everton.
Morata - Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea. He is just having a rough patch, he will come good. I see a little of Raul in him.
Wilshere - better then Paul Scholes if not for injuries

..much harder then my most overated player post, indeed!

I don't even know where to start with that. You thinking that Wilshere is better than Scholes is remarkable for a starter.

Bobski

After reading the Robert Pirès thread I’m tempted to say Ryan bloody Giggs. Anyway, I’ve got a few:

Alan Shearer was a phenomenal striker and one of the best out and out goal scorers the game has ever seen. That good. I think it’s forgotten somewhat.

Roy Keane is criminally underrated by anybody under the age of 25. Funnily enough, he’s more renowned for acting like a twat with Shearer and being a ‘hardman’ than he is for his incredible ability to play football.

And, bear with me, John Terry. It’s already been suggested in here that Carvalho made him look good, which is total fantasy. He gets no credit for being great on the ball. His passing, particularly on his left peg, was as good as anything you’ll see in England today. Yes, better than the walking miracle that is apparently Virgil Van Dijk. For some reason he has this reputation as being a bit of a bruiser but he was that and a whole lot more.

Every time I read one of the overrated discussions the generation gap always strikes me. You have people discussing players who they clearly only know from reputations and highlights. Add in the idea that football has somehow advanced massively in l10/15 years and you get this weird judgment of players. There is a great deal of overlapping in players career, guys who started in the 90's, Giggs for example, played with guys like Mal Donaghy and Neil Webb who in their youth were playing with guys who started in the 70's, while also hanging on long enough to play with the likes of James Wilson, Januzaj who might end up retiring in the 30's if their careers go very well.

With Terry you have this strange idea that being able to pass out from the back is a relatively new idea for defenders. Football is cyclical, a style of play is very rarely entirely new, but more an iteration of a previous idea gone out of fashion.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard - would be heralded as one of the Premier League’s all time greats if he played for anyone else. Ridiculous number of goals and assists, all from midfield. Wonder goals, goals in big games, longevity...ticks every box.

Rooney - Again, crazy number of goals and assists. I think his personal life and latter career overshadows his best moments. Also had a penchant for the spectacular.

Aguero - can’t stand the little shit, but never really gets spoken about on the same level as other “top” PL strikers. Probably because he plays for City and no one cares.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Brad Friedel might not have been absolute top class, but both Blackburn and Villa found it a lot harder to coast along in mid-table when they couldn't rely on him to play every minute of every game any more, and he even managed to fit in a quick, respectable stint in that swash-buckling early 10s Spurs team.

Maybe there needs to be more time for people to look back with nostalgia but Zabaleta was the solid 7/10 for Manchester City for years, won everything domestically, was the top right back in the league for a bit and deserves a bit of kudos for holding his spot for so long considering City could buy anyone and he came in literally just as they struck it rich.

Makelele

Terry is definitely one of the most underrated players of his generation. No exaggeration. The combination of brute physique and world class technical abilities is rare in one player. He had it all. I guess he shouldn’t have been so good positionally so that he could have made more recovery tackles to show he is world class. That seems to be a hallmark of a good defender these days, last minute tackles to make up for horrendous mistakes seconds earlier.

Makelele

Bear with me here, but I would like to throw in Oscar. I didn’t realise how gifted this lad was till I saw him live. You could instantly see why Mourinho fell in love with him. Just knew where to be and when to be there. Unusual and efficient technical ability. Tremendous agility and movement. And despite a small frame he was a terrier on the pitch. Real shame China tempted him away. I think he could have been among the top 10 players in the world at this stage of his career had he stayed.

Josep Dowling

Yaya Touré hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think. That season he scored like 20 goals he was unstoppable.

Robbie Folwer

Raven

I've already put Nani's name forward. A lot going for Aguero which I would also go along with. Certainly doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I'd have him as the most successful South American player to grace the PL. If not foreign player!
Nani. Best shout ever. Christ, the arguments I used to have with people.

Flying_Heckfish

Likes of Aguero, Kankan etc shouldn't be in discussion.. Kankan was one of the most exciting players the PL saw at that time. Aguero is a player that was always way too good to simply be a merc at City, but delivered to his potential 100%.

Someone like Glenn Murray, now that's underrated! Same with Kevin Davies shout earlier.

He's a great player, again probably could have gone to much better/bigger clubs but you can't knock his application since he joinced City. Still, I don't think he enters any PL GOAT conversations.