Who is the most UNDERrated player in PL history?

Ibrahimorich

Paul Ince among Utd fans. Brilliant player for us, was good for Inter as well, but moving to Liverpool cratered his reputation with Utd fans.
I think his comical punditry and his notepad with "SHOOT" written on it really did for him

U99ted

Wes Brown. He had his injury problems but he was great for us both at CB and RB. Yet I saw a video calling him one of the worst players to win a CL, and I often see people think he was average.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Wes Brown. He had his injury problems but he was great for us both at CB and RB. Yet I saw a video calling him one of the worst players to win a CL, and I often see people think he was average.
He wasn’t great for us at CB. He’s had good games there but they were rare, whenever I saw his name in the starting lineup against a top side I used to crap my pants. Silvestre too. Neither were ever near good enough for a CB role at Manchester United.

SoCross

Freddy Ljungberg.
Damien Duff
Brede Hagelaand

For United, Park was always underrated.

Champagne Football

Beckham - he's seen by some as a one trick pony but he was unbelievable for a few seasons. Scored impossible goals frequently and his work rate and tracking back were brilliant. Had so much more than just crossing and free kicks. At Madrid he was not the same player due to not being a big enough star there and them having players who also took free kicks etc

freeurmind

weak willed
Where are these people who don't rate Carrick? Even fans of other teams accept he was a class player and that our change of fortunes coincided with his arrival.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Tugay

Though on here it would probably be Rooney, due to him generally being rated as about level with a bout of food poisoning.

kyofusho

Not sure he's underrated but I do wonder how good Michael Bridges could have become had he not sufferred terribly with injuries. His natural ability and technique was wonderful.

poleglass red

I can see why Carrick is iffy for some. I think he was class, always did, but there was always that thought that he could have been even better. He was a big lad, but he relied on his positioning rather than strong tackling, I always felt he could have put himself about more in certain scenarios. Always felt with his shot he could have scored more goals, I think even Nicky Butt scored more goals than him. Great player nonetheless who justifyingly got his due credit in the end.

ManchesterYoda

Surely the MOST underrated player in Premier League history has to be a good player that the majority say is rubbish?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Carricks name comes up repeatedly in these things, which suggests he isn't. If anything, he should be on the other list.

Castia

Andy Cole

He won the lot and had a very impressive goal record yet could barely even get an England call up.

15 England caps although he scored almost 250 top flight goals and won every trophy possible is a joke.

AOAARON

Supports
liverpool
Xabi alonso.

Used to be compared to carrick but I think he’s a clear level above him.

Also carrick.

SirSteve4

Ronny Johnsen - everyone always raves about Stam, but forget just how good Ronny was next to him in that defence. Quick, could tackle and was good on the ball too.

Had the skills to play midfield too - would be at least a £50m centre back in today’s game.

Tiber

Carrick

Obviously not the top one but I always thought Morten Gamst Pedersen was a cracking player

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
One thing I'll always say about Brown is that in our CL winning season, he was world class at right back for us. And I mean world class. Got nowhere near enough recognition for the part he played.

IronCroos37

sorry for my english

I will name a few players :

All the following players are actually very good and underated as fuuuuck !!

Charlie Adam - his corners alone payed for his transfer fee.
Jordan Henderson - Under SAF this guy would have become massive, very talented player with heart, desire, leadership.
Mutu - don't do drugs
Anderson - he would walk in United's team right now. This guy had fabregas(best midfielder that time) in his pocket and sent Pogba packing to italy. He would walk even in Brazil's team right now
Phil Jones - injuries destroyed his career, if not for them for sure he was the next Rio, captain of England and Manchester United. Probably saving Mourinho's career as well.
Andy Carrol - the media and the money involved in his transfer affected him to much, just like Torres. Poor fellow! he was better then people sought, bunch of low life haters! He was solid, good in the air, strong, classic number 9 and probably better suited in the 90s or 80s or 40s.
Heinze - Very underated by united fans because he wanted to move to Liverpool. However this guy was the tevez of fullbacks, very agressive and could actually defend unlike Evra. He played for Real madrid as well, wich means something. Real buys only the best of the best. They took Ronaldo, Beckahm, RvN and Heinze from us, Bastards !!!
Fellaini - there are few players in the world that can give tactical options like Fellaini.
Joe Allen - you don't get to be called the welsh Xavi for nothing
Lovren - he is no Rio, but let's face it he is not as bad as people say it is. Has 150appeareaces for Pool, regular for Belgium. There is not much between him and our 5 central defenders
Adebayor - his CV sais it all : Monaco, Arsenal, City, Real Madrid, Spurs. One time had by far highest cumulative tranfer fee in the world, next to another great player Ibrahimovie Big clubs pay big money for this big guy. Why? because he was that good and criminally underated by football fans

Wellbeck - unlucky because he caught SAF last years, and caught Rooney,RvP, Hernandez in the team, and caught Moyes era, and caught LvG era, and the big star mothefecker muppet jiiz Falcao came in, and moved to Arsenal diying days as a top4 club. Ths guy is the definiton of unlucky, my boy Danny would star right now under Ole, and wouldnt look out of place next to Lingard, Martial, Rashford and be valued at around 70mil in todays money.
Zaha - like Wellbeck also caught SAF last days, would have became a great player for us, especially on that right wing of ours facepalm, better then Nani
Schweinsteiger- multi title winner, world cup winner, CL winner, one the best midfielders in the world, you just cannot be washed up and a finished article at 31 years old. Clearly there was something behind the scenes that we don't know about.
Smalling - he would be world class next to a Rio or Vidic. But how can he be any good when he is partered with Jones, Rojo,Bailly, Evans, Keane, etc. Not his fault
Bosingwa - lots of people downplay of how good he was. Ferocious on that right back.
Mignolet - jiiiz what defenders had in front of him. Imagine him in front of of Rio-Vidic-Evra or just 1 good defender like VVD.
Scott Parker - If you ask somebody to name some great english midfielders of the last decade, most forget about Scott. Seriously a midfield of Scott-Scholes-Carrick would have been better for England rather then Gerrad-Lampard-Joe Cole who achieved nothing but humiliation from carrabian type of teams at tournament finals.
Macheda- Seriously 1 goal 1 title, Gerrard 186 goals 0 titles
Stewart Downing - There is more to football the just score or assist
Lord Bendther - I heard he once faked and ankle injury to give his teammates a chance to play, hehe joking aside. Now seriously Bendther scored 30 goals for Denmark, how many messi did for Denmark?

Darren Bent - Most underated striker in premier league history, seriosly this guy has like a 1 goal in 2.3 matches ratio done in Top english flight not some dutch or turkish league. He would value around 100mill in today's money, 75 like lukaku +25 because his english. Oh and did I say he has done it not at a top team, not having world class midfielders to feed him goals day in day out.

Di Maria - galactico at Real Madrid, where he was free to express his talents. Did not make it in the premier league, not because the league is hard or different, but because of LVG and prison football. Even Zidane would have failed to make an impression. Also because his argie, and United and argies don't mix, should have went to City, like Tevez.
Harry Maguire - if he had an exotic name, top english clubs would be all over him. But his name maaan, says it all, inspires fear, not another average english defender.
Janujaz - Imagine if his father only gave him more vitamins or those damn hormons or whatever magic potion Messi took when he was young.
Cleverly- wouldnt have looked out of place in Barcelona, unfortunally for him Barca was stacked in midfield at that time.
Schneiderlein- clearly should have moved to Liverpool
Soldado - clearly bale took away all his goals from him, by not passing to him just to shoot and take all the glory, managing a transfer to Real Madrid and winning 3CLs in a row.
Jack Rodwell - stayed to long at Everton.
Morata - Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea. He is just having a rough patch, he will come good. I see a little of Raul in him.
Wilshere - better then Paul Scholes if not for injuries

..much harder then my most overated player post, indeed!

Last edited:

thepolice123

sorry for my english

I will name a few players :

All the following players are actually very good and underated as fuuuuck !!

Charlie Adam - his corners alone payed for his transfer fee.
Jordan Henderson - Under SAF this guy would have become massive, very talented player with heart, desire, leadership.
Mutu - don't do drugs
Anderson - he would walk in United's team right now. This guy had fabregas(best midfielder that time) in his pocket and sent Pogba packing to italy. He would walk even in Brazil's team right now
Phil Jones - injuries destroyed his career, if not for them for sure he was the next Rio, captain of England and Manchester United. Probably saving Mourinho's career as well.
Andy Carrol - the media and the money involved in his transfer affected him to much, just like Torres. Poor fellow! he was better then people sought, bunch of low life haters! He was solid, good in the air, strong, classic number 9 and probably better suited in the 90s or 80s or 40s.
Heinze - Very underated by united fans because he wanted to move to Liverpool. However this guy was the tevez of fullbacks, very agressive and could actually defend unlike Evra. He played for Real madrid as well, wich means something. Real buys only the best of the best. They took Ronaldo, Beckahm, RvN and Heinze from us, Bastards !!!
Fellaini - there are few players in the world that can give tactical options like Fellaini.
Joe Allen - you don't get to be called the welsh Xavi for nothing
Lovren - he is no Rio, but let's face it he is not as bad as people say it is. Has 150appeareaces for Pool, regular for Belgium. There is not much between him and our 5 central defenders
Adebayor - his CV sais it all : Monaco, Arsenal, City, Real Madrid, Spurs. One time had by far highest cumulative tranfer fee in the world, next to another great player Ibrahimovie Big clubs pay big money for this big guy. Why? because he was that good and criminally underated by football fans

Wellbeck - unlucky because he caught SAF last years, and caught Rooney,RvP, Hernandez in the team, and caught Moyes era, and caught LvG era, and the big star mothefecker muppet jiiz Falcao came in, and moved to Arsenal diying days as a top4 club. Ths guy is the definiton of unlucky, my boy Danny would star right now under Ole, and wouldnt look out of place next to Lingard, Martial, Rashford and be valued at around 70mil in todays money.
Zaha - like Wellbeck also caught SAF last days, would have became a great player for us, especially on that right wing of ours facepalm, better then Nani
Schweinsteiger- multi title winner, world cup winner, CL winner, one the best midfielders in the world, you just cannot be washed up and a finished article at 31 years old. Clearly there was something behind the scenes that we don't know about.
Smalling - he would be world class next to a Rio or Vidic. But how can he be any good when he is partered with Jones, Rojo,Bailly, Evans, Keane, etc. Not his fault
Bosingwa - lots of people downplay of how good he was. Ferocious on that right back.
Scott Parker - If you ask somebody to name some great english midfielders of the last decade, most forget about Scott. Seriously a midfield of Scott-Scholes-Carrick would have been better for England rather then Gerrad-Lampard-Joe Cole who achieved nothing but humiliation from carrabian type of teams at tournament finals.
Macheda- Seriously 1 goal 1 title, Gerrard 186 goals 0 titles
Stewart Downing - There is more to football the just score or assist
Lord Bendther - I heard he once faked and ankle injury to give his teammates a chance to play, hehe joking aside. Now seriously Bendther scored 30 goals for Denmark, how many messi did for Denmark?

Darren Bent - Most underated striker in premier league history, seriosly this guy has like a 1 goal in 2.3 matches ratio done in Top english flight not some dutch or turkish league. He would value around 100mill in today's money, 75 like lukaku +25 because his english. Oh and did I say he has done it not at a top team, not having world class midfielders to feed him goals day in day out.

Di Maria - galactico at Real Madrid, where he was free to express his talents. Did not make it in the premier league, not because the league is hard or different, but because of LVG and prison football. Even Zidane would have failed to make an impression. Also because his argie, and United and argies don't mix, should have went to City, like Tevez.
Harry Maguire - if he had an exotic name, top english clubs would be all over him. But his name maaan, says it all, inspires fear, not another average english defender.
Janujaz - Imagine if his father only gave him more vitamins or those damn hormons or whatever magic potion Messi took when he was young.
Mignolet - jiiiz what defenders had in front of him. Imagine his in from of Rio-Vidic-Evra or just 1 good defender like VVD.
Cleverly- wouldnt have looked out of place in Barcelona, unfortunally for him Barca was stacked in midfield at that time.
Schneiderlein- clearly should have moved to Liverpool
Soldado - clearly bale took away all his goals from him, by not passing to him just to shoot and take all the glory, managing a transfer to Real Madrid and winning 3CLs in a row.
Jack Rodwell - stayed to long at Everton.
Morata - Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea. He is just having a rough patch, he will come good. I see a little of Raul in him.
Wilshere - better then Paul Scholes if not for injuries

..much harder then my most overated player post, indeed!
Are you serious?:lol::nervous:

This list would have been more apt in another thread. Most of the players in the list are legitimate flops or players rightfully rated as they are.

GazTheLegend

Warren Barton always seemed like an absolutely class player whenever I watched him play.

Anders Limpar has a shout too. Totally brilliant player, criminally underrated imo.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Some other good shouts here, especially Ronny Johnsen and Ince.

RMD83

Why are players like Irwin, viera, pires, beckham, Ian Wright being named as underrated players in this thread?These are players often recognised as being all time greats of the premier league era. Aguero is an interesting one, despite being seen as a world class striker for his entire time here he has never made the premier league 11 of the season which is astonishing. Carrick is another who was underrated for a long time and mainly by united fans (me included) but is seen now as a great player and definately should have far more England caps.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Will do a team of under rated players imo:

Jaaskelainen - was excellent for years If I recall

Finnan - solid as you. Possibly the best RB in the league between 04-07 period

S.Campbell - never gets the same plaudits as a Rio, Terry or Vidic and was on the same level imo

Jagielka - obviously not on the same level as Sol but played to a high standard for years
Silvestre - how many leagues did he win? Never mentioned in same breadth as Irwin or Evra

Carrick - agree that he could be the most under rated of the lot

D.Silva - some will say he is over rated but I think he is incredible and has been for years

Y.Toure - again like Silva is never mentioned in the same breath as your Gerrard's, Lampard's, etc

Duff - I'm Irish so maybe bias here but always felt he never got the recognition he deserved. Unplayable between 02-06

Rooney - as much as I disliked him when he played for United, it was impossible for him to live upto the heights expected but he might actually have done

Kuyt - could play in so many positions and would always deliver on the big day