Who is your preferred option for the RW spot?

Stig

hmm, tough one - lots of options, but I'd say a winning approach would be to stick Scott McTominay in right midfield/right wing/right #10.
Don't you need to be capable on the ball for those positions ?

Stig

Considering we played Jonny Evans in our last game, I'm thinking Willie Morgan or Steve Coppell.

Willie is probably less match fit than Steve so in keeping with current club policy I would offer a short term contract to Steve Coppell.

Alemar

Considering Sancho fell out with the manager, Amad injury and no Antony or MG, we don’t have that many options left apart from Pellistri.
Another option could have been Dalot, but then Reguilon starts on the left and we don’t have any full backs on the bench.

foolsgold

Longer term I have hope for Amad, for Brighton I'd play Bruno wider and bring Mason Mount in at number 10.

We simply can't reward Sancho or look desperate, he needs to understand that the club holds all the cards, not him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Unless it’s a way of giving him enough rope to hang himself. When he’s predictably pants ETH can tell him ‘told you so’.
You have to balance it with trying to retain as much asset value if or when we do sell the cnut

Last edited:

Lentwood

I'm looking for justification for his continued presence at the club. Either use him or move him.

And I could also ask you the same - Garnacho has not been good at all as a starter, and in his preferred position. What has he done to suggest he will be good as a starter in another position? He's much more effective coming on against tired legs. As far as I'm concerned, he and Pellistri have the same chance on the right. But I'd give the latter the chance to see if he can cut it. If not - ship in January.
We're not seriously claiming now that Pellistri has shown as much as Garnacho? I also had another response suggesting similar...way off the mark for me.

Sure, Garnacho is raw, and he hasn't started this season particularly well, but he looks to have genuine superstar potential and has already managed a handful of goals and assists.

Pellistri has been on loan at Alaves and done basically nothing to suggest he can become a real top player, despite being older than Garnacho, and has really only looked mediocre in the short spells he has had for United.

We get this a fair bit on this forum. If Pellistri isn't playing, it's probably because ETH and his coaches watch him every single day in training and have decided he's down the list in terms of options - not through some kind of favouritism or unwillingness to try young players.

Remember training isn't just drills, there'll be all sorts of mini-games, competitive 11 vs 11s, 5-a-sides etc...its perfectly possible to assess a player based on all of this body of evidence, as an alternative to having to throw them in a Premier League game.

dogwithabone

It’s not like Anthony plays like a conventional winger so we aren‘t really missing anything, it’s not as if we are trying to find someone who flies down the outside and puts in cross after cross. I’m hoping we might stumble on something that gives the team a different dimension.

stevoc

Sancho needs to get a run there with Antony away. It's clearly his best position and most of his good games for us have been there.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Considering ETH is meant to be a big fan of young talent we’re yet to see it… Pellestri needs a chance. We’ve seen him come on and take his defenders on. He almost won us a pen at spurs by doing so. If it’s between him and Bruno for RW and Bruno gets picked then what does that say for Pellestri? I’d hand a transfer request in. Bit similar to ETH choosing a LB in Shaw to play CB instead of picking Maguire… that basically tells you your career here is over.

jimmyb2000

For me its Pellistri all the way. Give him a run and he'll make the right wing spot his own. Antony wont get back in the team.

And I'd be happy to never see Sancho play for United ever again - mind you, if you give any 21 year old a 5 year contract worth 1/10th of a billion quid in wages alone you're asking for trouble.

alexanderplatz

Anthony is stealing a living at our club at present, I've never seen a more one footed predictable professional footballer, at least the likes of Robben had end product after he cut inside when everyone knew he was going to cut inside because that's all he had, he was still effective.

Anthony may have been good in Holland but all he gives us is frustration, memories of Nani, some moody faces and his only highlights are in his bloody hair.

Can't stand him.

You may have picked up on that fact...
Nani did ultimately have a good spell for the club, though it took a few years.
Anthony does need to work harder at the attacking side of his game though, agreed. If you have one trick at this level it needs to be a pretty good trick…

Craig Ward

I'd play Pellistri.

Garnacho has been poor this season from the off, so cannot see any justification for him switching wings. Amad is injured, Sancho cannot start for obvious reasons.

I've a strong feeling we will go with Fernandes out wide. Which would frustrate the hell out of me but ETH has done it before.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I would play Pellistri for now and look for alternatives next Summer, it’s a position we would need to address even without Antony’s break as he was just not good enough. Once Diallo is back I’d test him there but I don’t expect him to be ready yet.

I think the bar has been set so low with El Ghazi rumors that lining up with Pellistri next weekend would evoke a sense of immense joy across our fan base.

Fully expecting ETH to do absolutely everything bar play our only right winger on the right wing though.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Before we signed Antony, Sancho was playing there and putting in some good performances. So I would say Sancho, but....

So now I'd like to see what Mount can do. I've never been a big fan of left footed right wingers and vice versa. If we have a right footed left winger, then I'd prefer a right footed right winger who is good at crossing. Especially considering AWB always just looks to pass it off...

Bwuk

Worth considering a diamond? With no RW and Sancho in the bad books maybe not the worst idea?

Amrabat can come into the side for Casemiro/McSauce when fit.

Onana
AWB - Lindelof - Martinez - Dalot
Casemiro
Bruno - Eriksen
McTominay
Hojlund - Rashford​

Marcus

Worth considering a diamond? With no RW and Sancho in the bad books maybe not the worst idea?

Amrabat can come into the side for Casemiro/McSauce when fit.

Onana
AWB - Lindelof - Martinez - Dalot
Casemiro
Bruno - Eriksen
McTominay
Hojlund - Rashford​
This is my line-up.

We get this a fair bit on this forum. If Pellistri isn't playing, it's probably because ETH and his coaches watch him every single day in training and have decided he's down the list in terms of options - not through some kind of favouritism or unwillingness to try young players.

Remember training isn't just drills, there'll be all sorts of mini-games, competitive 11 vs 11s, 5-a-sides etc...its perfectly possible to assess a player based on all of this body of evidence, as an alternative to having to throw them in a Premier League game.
This should honestly be stickied somewhere at the top of the forum.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pellistri because 1. I think he will form a good partnership with Hojlund and 2. I think Brighton will give him a bit of space to work in

give the lad his chance!

Idxomer

Pellistri because 1. I think he will form a good partnership with Hojlund and 2. I think Brighton will give him a bit of space to work in

give the lad his chance!
Mitoma's side, not much chance Pellistri will play when he never showed he could contribute defensively.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Antony's back in contention... does he go straight back into the xi for you or would you like to see: Bruno/Mount/Pellistri on our right?

We're finally pretty stacked in the midfield, so supplementing with the correct wide man could be transformative, given said player now potentially has platform to work from.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever about our preferences, it will be Antony once he's up to speed.

Or at least until our defensive injury crisis eases, Amrabat is able to move from LB and we have the option of shifting Bruno/Mount to RW. I think Amrabat coming into CM has more chance of displacing Antony in the team than Pellistri directly playing ahead of him at RW.

arnoldS

Antony if fit. I don't really rate him highly but he is miles ahead of Pelistri who is just weak and gets wrestled off the ball constantly. He is build like a kid but he is 21 already so no excuse here.

Zed 101

I would give Mount a shot there TBH I understand why people like Antony but without an end product you may as well play Dalot in front of AWB, at least he can cross the ball from that side, I don't mind Rashford right if it means Garnacho plays more minutes.... I do not dislike Antony, in fact I think his attitude, work rate and ball retention are brilliant, if he plays I am going to appreciate the things he does do well, but I also know that 99% of the time I am going to be disappointed when he gets to the final 3rd

lex talionis

I'd like to see Pellistri get a few more starts. He's never going to be more athletic than Antony but he's demonstrated better pitch awareness than Antony. Facundo may come up short of reasonable expectations and if so, so be it, but we've already seen growth in his game in the few chances he's been given whereas we've seen no growth in Antony's game and we've arguably seen a significant regression in his game since he's arrived. Even Antony's most ardent defenders here would acknowledge that with United he's looked nothing like the player he was at Ajax.

Kramer

Wouldnt mind seeing Hannibal there if Antony isnt fit and the manager doesnt trust Pellestri.