Who replaces Ten Hag?

RORY65

I think its a bit odd that Man Utd has become a training ground for coaches. Why should United be De Zerbi's first shot at the big time?

Bayern are looking for a coach, Barca are looking for a coach, Liverpool are looking for a coach. Look at the people they're allegedly going after. I am not saying we should just copy what they are doing. However, its notable that they are looking at people who have won stuff. Whereas our bar to entry seems to be: 'Did ok at a smaller outfit and plays pretty football.'

It just makes you question the ambition. Liverpool are basically broadcasting: We had a top coach in Klopp and we're not going to settle for anyone who doesn't have some record of winning. Whereas linking people like Potter, Southgate and De Zerbi to us makes me think: 'What's the plan here?'
I mean we currently have a manager who has won stuff, unless it's Guardiola or Klopp basically anyone is going to be a gamble and so it depends on what different clubs see as the best potential indicators of future success (i.e. playing style, success in smaller leagues etc.).

Once Bayern targeted Nagelsmann it was always going to be tough to beat them to him, Liverpool's 1st choice target has won 1 Portuguese title (Liverpool aren't going after the other managers who have won that league in the same period) and Barcelona are being linked with a guy who has had 1 elite year as a manager along with De Zerbi themselves. United are a basket case at the moment without a single player that could realistically be part of a league winning, it's kind of obvious that we might have to take a slightly bigger gamble than clubs who are currently more attractive.

I don't love any of the other options after Nagelsmann but I don't hate the De Zerbi idea, his results have been poor for a while but I like the fact that Brighton are positive against whomever they play. I'm sick of more than a decade of United cowering against any big side, we've been such a negative, unattractive team to watch for a really sustained period of time now.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So it's looking like:
  • Nagelsmann to Bayern
  • Xabi Alonso waiting a year to go to Real Madrid
  • Ruben Amorim to Liverpool
  • De Zerbi to Barca? Or Luis Enrique?
If we are to get rid of ten hag, I'd probably put money on it being Potter who comes in. Maybe it's de Zerbi.
Motta to Juve I think as well? Inzaghi staying at Inter. Our list of targets grows thin!

Is de Zerbi actually linked to Barca?

Rojofiam

I think its a bit odd that Man Utd has become a training ground for coaches. Why should United be De Zerbi's first shot at the big time?

Bayern are looking for a coach, Barca are looking for a coach, Liverpool are looking for a coach. Look at the people they're allegedly going after. I am not saying we should just copy what they are doing. However, its notable that they are looking at people who have won stuff. Whereas our bar to entry seems to be: 'Did ok at a smaller outfit and plays pretty football.'

It just makes you question the ambition. Liverpool are basically broadcasting: We had a top coach in Klopp and we're not going to settle for anyone who doesn't have some record of winning. Whereas linking people like Potter, Southgate and De Zerbi to us makes me think: 'What's the plan here?'
What did Nagelsmann and Flick win before their Bayern stints? What did Guardiola win with Barca B? Enrique with Celta Vigo? The trophy collection is far from being the most important factor when looking for a new manager.

soapythecat

Tuchel is a no brainer really. Yes, he failed in Bayern but it was mainly because in Bayern manager is not in charge. Players are above a manager.
He is perfect manager for us. Proven, knows how to win stuff, loves discipline, plays attacking football and tactically very advanced.
I'd say it absolutely is not a no brainer. Why reward failure at Bayern with the United job? He will be coming here under similar conditions to Bayern.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So it's looking like:
  • Nagelsmann to Bayern
If we are to get rid of ten hag, I'd probably put money on it being Potter who comes in. Maybe it's de Zerbi.
I am feeling sure that Southgate will get the job, it just feels inevitable to me, especially with the Dan Ashworth connections...
Of course another option could be, allow Ten Hag a season under the INEOS structure, then look again next Summer if need be.
Ancelotti would be available.. :rolleyes:

pascell

I am feeling sure that Southgate will get the job, it just feels inevitable to me, especially with the Dan Ashworth connections...
Of course another option could be, allow Ten Hag a season under the INEOS structure, then look again next Summer if need be.
He's not a head coach, which is the way we're looking to structure the setup I'm sure I read.

Rojofiam

So it's looking like:
  • Nagelsmann to Bayern
Nagelsmann to Bayern and Amorim to Liverpool are going to happen IMO.

Barca is a mystery to me still.

Same with United, but I think it will either be ten Hag, De Zerbi, or Potter, with the latter less likely IMO.

Alonso to Madrid isn't a sure thing either for me, a lot could change in one year and we don't even know if that's why he decided to stay at Leverkusen.

Rojofiam

anyone is going to be a gamble
This is what a lot of people don't understand, especially the ones wanting Ancelotti and Zidane, mostly because of their names and trophies they won. Both of these names I mentioned could fail as bad as our previous managers, or even worse.

I think Ineos will want to build the squad and club up to a level where the manager isn't the end all and be all of everything. Will be difficult to do in the PL, though, to challenge every year like Madrid or Bayern, for example, no matter who the manager is.

Even City, widely accepted as one of, if not the best run club right now could easily have seasons where they're miles away from the title race, after Pep leaves.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's not just Ashworth's decision though. Berrada and Wilcox would have a big say in the search too and I find it hard to believe they would be on board with going for Southgate. De Zerbi is the favourite in my opinion.

Varane around town

I am sure they will try a guy who they think will fit into the INEO structure. The sort of guy who can be counted on to make a belting powerpoint about 'mood setters' and- of course- 'marginal gains'

Southgate or Potter would be my guess.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I am sure they will try a guy who they think will fit into the INEO structure. The sort of guy who can be counted on to make a belting powerpoint about 'mood setters' and- of course- 'marginal gains'

Southgate or Potter would be my guess.
Apparently Ten Hag bores the players going over the same simple detail for hours, so he could be the type to knock up a great powerpoint.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'd say it absolutely is not a no brainer. Why reward failure at Bayern with the United job? He will be coming here under similar conditions to Bayern.
We are not rewarding anything. By that logic big clubs would buy/hire only players and managers who are "flavor of the month". Tuchel is top manager who is not young or old. He managed clubs in 4 of 5 top leagues and won trophy everywhere, he knows PL and he is tactically very strong with clear vision and playing attacking football. Also Tuchel likes discipline which is a trait we very much need at this moment.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We are not rewarding anything. By that logic big clubs would buy/hire only players and managers who are "flavor of the month". Tuchel is top manager who is not young or old. He managed clubs in 4 of 5 top leagues and won trophy everywhere, he knows PL and he is tactically very strong with clear vision and playing attacking football. Also Tuchel likes discipline which is a trait we very much need at this moment.
3 of 5 (Germany, France, England) and he isn't really known for attacking football, but for a well controlled approach.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Bayern have Nagelsmann his chance and that's who they want back. Liverpool giving Amorim a chance. Barca gave Xavi a chance, and apparently are interested in RDZ.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bring in Ole to win us the FA cup then hire a full time manager. Ole gets a lot of criticism but he got the best out of this squad, Rashford was on form, Fernandes was the most creative mid in Europe under him, Martial was picking up MOTM under him, Shaw was the best LB in Europe. He failed due to the people above him, he wanted Haaland, he wanted Jude Bellingham, he wanted Maddison/Grealish and got VDB. We didn’t concede 30+ shots a game and conceded the least open play goals despite playing a midfield of Fred and Mctominay.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Tuchel just feels like a very bad match for us, seems to fall out with every club within a couple of years and that's not ideal when we're having to make wholesale changes in pretty much every area, which is bound to cause some friction along the way.

didz

I reckon the Luis Enrique links will start to appear in a couple of hours.

Fts 74

I just don't get the hype for De Zerbi, the hard work at Brighton was done before his arrival and I think its debatable whether he's taken them up a level since Potter left.Hes cocky and now has some PL experience ill give him that, but he was hardly pulling up trees before Brighton.

Someone like Enrique or Nagelsman I'd say have the personality and experience of managing big egos and big clubs, but whether they'd come is the question, absolutely not Southgate I couldn't stomach that, Ancelotti although no chance, I'd love to see him in the dugout class act.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I just don't get the hype for De Zerbi, the hard work at Brighton was done before his arrival and I think its debatable whether he's taken them up a level since Potter left.Hes cocky and now has some PL experience ill give him that, but he was hardly pulling up trees before Brighton.

Someone like Enrique or Nagelsman I'd say have the personality and experience of managing big egos and big clubs, but whether they'd come is the question, absolutely not Southgate I couldn't stomach that, Ancelotti although no chance, I'd love to see him in the dugout class act.
I think with De Zerbi the one thing that appeals is that he's an excellent COACH of players. Does a very good job setting up his teams to play real modern attacking football and improving youngsters. Very rarely do you watch his teams and not see a structure drilled in of how to progress the ball and players that know where to move and be in sitatuations on the pitch. But his pragmatism leaves a lot to be desired, which is something every big club manager needs to succeed and win stuff at the highest levels. He's always been able to get his teams to play brilliant stuff but he's also prone to hammerings when plan A isn't working.

gantherbale

Bring in Ole to win us the FA cup then hire a full time manager. Ole gets a lot of criticism but he got the best out of this squad, Rashford was on form, Fernandes was the most creative mid in Europe under him, Martial was picking up MOTM under him, Shaw was the best LB in Europe. He failed due to the people above him, Tutuapp 9Apps he wanted Haaland, he wanted Jude Bellingham, he wanted Maddison/Grealish and got VDB. We didn’t concede 30+ shots a game and conceded the least open play goals despite playing a midfield of Fred and Mctominay.
I don't think that the owners will consider this idea ! if Ole fails then it's the owners to blame and they don't want that

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

It's between these two for me too.

Joe Louis

Haven't Brighton won about 4 games in the past 4 months? Yet De Zerbi is being linked with two of the biggest jobs in football with United, & Barca, do me a fecking favour for christ's sake.

Judas

Open to offers
Tuchel would be a shite appointment, thankfully can’t see it happening. He never truly got to grips with the PL in my opinion, flattered to deceive at Chelsea outside of cup competitions.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not convinced with de zerbi. Haven't seen Brighton play well for a very long time.

Chairman Steve

Some of these deemed lesser but younger coaches can be offset by having this so-called ‘best in the class’ executive team, so I’m open to De Zerbi or even Potter. They just have be to be hotshot coaches and have decent man management. They don’t need to be an amazing talent scout.

I’m of the opinion that if we’re more than likely to get a younger, inexperienced coach then the star players on huge money and considerable trophy hauls (namely Casemiro, Varane) need to be jettisoned from the club this summer or by next summer. The last thing we need is some of these players undermining the manager from the off and being dickheads.