Who replaces Ten Hag?

TheLord

I would not want the nth Chelsea outcast in Tuchel anywhere near the team. Not one has worked out and we've had so many of late.
He is too abrasive and won't last one full season here. I'd much rather have De Zerbi.

dubplate warrior

Tuchel is a no brainer really. Yes, he failed in Bayern but it was mainly because in Bayern manager is not in charge. Players are above a manager.
He is perfect manager for us. Proven, knows how to win stuff, loves discipline, plays attacking football and tactically very advanced.
He does not play attacking football.

didz

where is the Luis Enrique being available talk from?

other than nagelsmann, i think Enrique would be brilliant.
I don't think there's been any really, but I strongly suspect that we'll be heavily linked with him the moment PSG's CL campaign is over, win or lose.

He's the only manager I wanted ahead of ETH, so maybe there's a bit of wishful thinking there, but I feel he's either gonna win the trophy and see his job as done, or PSG are gonna want to try something else until they win it. With Mbappe probably leaving them, there could be a lot of change in Paris this summer.

mu4c_20le

In a perfect world, we would have sacked ETH after the 7-0 and appointed Enrique.

Rojofiam

In a perfect world, we would have sacked ETH after the 7-0 and appointed Enrique.
First of all, in a perfect world, we don't lose 7-0 to Liverpool

Secondly, it's not ten Hag's fault we conceded 7 that day.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Xavi is an interesting idea, not afraid to bring youth through. Pep, Arteta and Xavi squaring off?

what type of football does he play?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Nah, we'd just win the league cup and were actually playing well. It would've been considered completely knee jerk to sack him after the liverpool defeat.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The ITK here who said we're getting him didn't get it right this time.

I think De Zerbi or Potter is who we'll hire if we part ways with ETH.
He was offered terms, that was basically confirmed last night when his agent said it’s not just Bayern in for him.

He didn’t accept but I didn’t know that.

Fallon d'Floor

3rd with a very good chance to end the season as 2nd, as they are on par with Bayern (just behind due to goal difference) and his team still cares, Bayern doesn't.
Yeah, very impressive. Do you like him?

In recognition of his work, Naglesmann has started to call up several Stuttgart players for the national team.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who are Bayern likely to go for now? Or could Tuchel still stay after all?

Wilt

Potter seems like a yes man/players will walk all over him type.
Agreed, that’s one of the reasons I’d back Tuchel.

Tuchel’s a winner, he knows how to win, he knows the Premier League and he’d have the respect of the players.

He’s out contract end of season ….there’ll be several interested clubs.

Last edited:

Fallon d'Floor

I think Bayern will go after Emery.
I think he likes it at Villa. Monchi and him still have work to do there. It's only getting started.

He's most likely going to be managing Villa in The CL if they keep their heads. Winning The Conference League would only further enhance the love Villa fans have for him after a rough decade or so under various managers.

Villa could be even better next season if they improve some positions such as RB. Add some cover for Watkins too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, very impressive. Do you like him?

In recognition of his work, Naglesmann has started to call up several Stuttgart players for the national team.
A lot. And his basic ideas how to play are relatively similar to Alonso's, so Stuttgart's and Leverkusen's players should work well together - probably better than including the Dortmund or some of the Bayern players who are used to a different approach from their clubs.

So far Hoeneß worked his way up from being a youth team coach through Bayern's reserves (which he did pretty well in the 3rd league, which for them is quite hard - no comparison to the simpler days in the Regionalliga where EtH managed them) to his first BL job at Hoffenheim. Who played quite good under him, but somehow hit a dead end at some point. Funny how it goes, at the time Stuttgart and Hoffenheim both exchanged their managers, with Hoeneß replacing Materazzo's interim replacement and Materazzo replacing Hoeneß.

So far his Stuttgart shows no signs of slowing down and really prove to be a capable team on the ball. Their cup quarterfinal in Leverkusen (which they narrowly lost 3-2) probably was the best match of German football this season as they tried to play their dominant style even against Leverkusen and clashed on their own terms, not setting up for parking the bus and counter attacking as every other team does.

Fallon d'Floor

Bayern should go for Ole
Solskjaer got his opportunity at a massive club and it ultimately didn't work out. I highly doubt he'll ever get a similar opportunity.

Their board and fans would not have let him get away with his first two seasons at United. He'd have been sacked multiple times.

Solskjaer is probably getting a Europa League club at best if he ever does go back into management.

I'll give him this, I didn't think I'd ever dislike a United manager's spell as much as his. But ten Hag has excelled in that regard. He's making Ole look better than he actually was with each month that passes by. :D

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What changed?
Germany has 3 leagues for the whole country (1. Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga, 3. Liga - different name for the 3rd tier because that's organised by the DFB, not the DFL, but that's semantics). These three are officially professional football in Germany. The tier below that are five Regionalligen (as the name says, each only for a certain region of Germany). They are semi-professional leagues. So it's a huge quality difference if you play in 3. Liga or in Regionalliga.

After the 3. Liga was founded in 2008 Bayern II have been a stable midtable member of that league, but completely collapsed in 10/11 and got relegated as dead last. EtH managed them for two seasons, won the Regionalliga in 13/14 and become second in 14/15, but failed the promotion playoffs after winning it. Bayern finally won the Regionalliga and the playoffs under Holger Seitz in 18/19, and Hoeneß took them over for 19/20. And won the 3. Liga. Which makes them the first and only reserve/U23 team that ever won it. Funnily enough the season after (Hoeneß had left for Hoffenheim) they immediately got relegated again and are now again a solid upper midtable team in Regionalliga Bayern.

Of course there are alway huge squad changes in the U23 every year and it's not only the manager, but still Hoeneß managed a unique achievement in German football managing a U23.

Rojofiam

Solskjaer got his opportunity at a massive club and it ultimately didn't work out. I highly doubt he'll ever get a similar opportunity.

Their board and fans would not have let him get away with his first two seasons at United. He'd have been sacked multiple times.

Solskjaer is probably getting a Europa League club at best if he ever does go back into management.

I'll give him this, I didn't think I'd ever dislike a United manager's spell as much as his. But ten Hag has excelled in that regard. He's making Ole look better than he actually was with each month that passes by. :D
You think he would've finished 3rd and 2nd in the Bundesliga with Bayern? They get one real challenger every 5-10 years for the title, Ole would win it at a canter like every Bayern manager does. The squad suits Ole's ideas and he would make them a good cup team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Germany has 3 leagues for the whole country (1. Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga, 3. Liga - different name for the 3rd tier because that's organised by the DFB, not the DFL, but that's semantics). These three are officially professional football in Germany. The tier below that are five Regionalligen (as the name says, each only for a certain region of Germany). They are semi-professional leagues. So it's a huge quality difference if you play in 3. Liga or in Regionalliga.

After the 3. Liga was founded in 2008 Bayern II have been a stable midtable member of that league, but completely collapsed in 10/11 and got relegated as dead last. EtH managed them for two seasons, won the Regionalliga in 13/14 and become second in 14/15, but failed the promotion playoffs after winning it. Bayern finally won the Regionalliga and the playoffs under Holger Seitz in 18/19, and Hoeneß took them over for 19/20. And won the 3. Liga. Which makes them the first and only reserve/U23 team that ever won it. Funnily enough the season after (Hoeneß had left for Hoffenheim) they immediately got relegated again and are now again a solid upper midtable team in Regionalliga Bayern.

Of course there are alway huge squad changes in the U23 every year and it's not only the manager, but still Hoeneß managed a unique achievement in German football managing a U23.
Thanks for that.

Looks like manager to keep eye on.

didz

Xavi is an interesting idea, not afraid to bring youth through. Pep, Arteta and Xavi squaring off?

He's a Barcelona Guardiola zealot. So pass the other team to death. Probably just exactly what you would expect him to play.

To be fair to him, he was onto the box midfield fad before the others, although he did it by bringing Gavi into midfield from the flank and using Balde as an auxiliary winger, rather than pushing a defender into the middle a la Zinchenko and Stones. Arguably that was a case of necessity being the mother of invention, but it shows some adaptability to him. I suppose you know you're getting control in the midfield with him above all else. Personally I don't think he suits us. He's also a bit nutty and seems to have a persecution complex.

Fallon d'Floor

You think he would've finished 3rd and 2nd in the Bundesliga with Bayern? They get one real challenger every 5-10 years for the title, Ole would win it at a canter like every Bayern manager does. The squad suits Ole's ideas and he would make them a good cup team.
Just winning The Bundesliga isn't enough. That's why Bayern have gone through multiple managers post Pep. And much better managers than Solskjaer.

Being good cup team might be enough to please some United fans, but that wouldn't fly at Bayern.

Rojofiam

Just winning The Bundesliga isn't enough. That's why Bayern have gone through multiple managers post Pep. And much better managers than Solskjaer.

Being good cup team might be enough to please some United fans, but that wouldn't fly at Bayern.
So winning the Bundesliga and having a real chance in the CL most seasons "wouldn't fly at Bayern", well that's what they've been doing since like 2008.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The kind that demands of his players high levels of concentration and elite decision-making to work well. There are no magical solutions here, and his midfield - on the ball - is much better than a lot of people give them credit for. In Pedri and De Jong, they have two options who can either pass or carry the ball through the lines with ease. I guess he'll be happy to work with Mainoo, but the shape of a functional midfield will probably be a struggle.

Like most "modern coaches", he values defenders who are skilled on the ball, he utilizes the newest trend of a square-shaped midfield (3223 in possession) and has a structured build-up phase the players have to follow to the letter. He values a good possession game, but he will not say no to a killer transition. As mentioned, it's about good decision-making. He would probably send our current gung-ho style straight to the bin. Possession is a means to control the rhythm, but not the purpose of his whole existence. Nevertheless, he seems a big fan of "La Pausa", the Spanish style of passing that encourages players to slow down, keep the ball, assess and then make an informed decision. Good luck to him trying to do that with our current lot. Likes to create isos in the wide areas or overload one side (the left at Barça) with the FB on the overlap and the wide player cutting inside to quickly switch sides. That is something we used to do under Mourinho and Solskjaer. The press is high, intense and aggressive but more organized than ETH's more man-to-man oriented tactics. Oh, and the square in the midfield means that the rest defence will have a double pivot, which will make the Caf happy.

I also read somewhere that, since coaches started to get booked and sent off, he has more red cards as a manager (3) in two seasons than in his entire career as a footballer (2). So, there's also plenty of passion in the coach's area on the pitch.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We've finished top 3, 3 times in the 5 seasons prior to Ten Hag. Yet him finishing 3rd is seen as some sort of miracle? Might as well get Jose back if doing well under the Glazers/Woodward is the barometer of success.

And if hes surviving because we can't afford to sack him, then he's in bigger trouble anyway as it looks like we'll fall further behind again next season if we can't spend.

Besides, I thought you'd said you thought he should be sacked now?
Except he finished top 3 after the horrible finish the season before, having played more matches than any other team on a terribly thin squad, and with Weghorst as the only available striker. And he won a trophy, and he played FA Cup final

He did absolutely overachieve last year and if you can't see that - I am not sure what you are watching? Are you just googling stats?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Except he finished top 3 after the horrible finish the season before, having played more matches than any other team on a terribly thing squad, and with Weghorst as the only available striker. And he won a trophy, and he played FA Cup final

He did absolutely overachieve last year and if you can't see that - I am not sure what you are watching? Are you just googling stats?
The point is, that season before EtH was an outlier, not the norm. So it was to be expected that things would improve. A return to the already underwhelming norm (although I agree the two cup finals, one won is a bit more than that) is not a big cause to celebrate him.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The point is, that season before EtH was an outlier, not the norm. So it was to be expected that things would improve.
"improve" was expected to be top 6 finish with no trophies, and not what he achieved

Smores

Except he finished top 3 after the horrible finish the season before, having played more matches than any other team on a terribly thin squad, and with Weghorst as the only available striker. And he won a trophy, and he played FA Cup final

Nah overachieved is putting it too strongly, he did very well to meet our minimum expectations is how I'd put it.

Yes he only had Werghorst up front for a lot of it but Rashford was our primary attacker and certainly scored the goals a main striker would.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bayern has De Zerbi and Emery as alternatives which should force INEOS hand if they are actually looking for a replacement. Unless they’ve settled with Potter