Who replaces Ten Hag?

Rojofiam

People saying no to Zidane. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sure, it would be an exciting appointment, but one that would likely end in failure. Nothing suggests that Zidane is a rebuilder. He's more like Ancelotti who's a good balancer of an already great squad. If Ineos build the club and squad up to an elite level in 2 or 3 years, this type of manager could be a good appointment, but right now, we need something else. Also, if I'm not mistaken, he barely speaks English.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Zidane is a level of manager comparable to getting Berrada as CEO. I wouldn't really believe we're getting him until he signs officially but it's a mile better than Potter or De Zerbi, let alone our current 'coach'.

RORY65

Sure, it would be an exciting appointment, but one that would likely end in failure. Nothing suggests that Zidane is a rebuilder. He's more like Ancelotti who's a good balancer of an already great squad. If Ineos build the club and squad up to an elite level in 2 or 3 years, this type of manager could be a good appointment, but right now, we need something else. Also, if I'm not mistaken, he barely speaks English.
I don't even think he's like Ancelotti, Ancelotti is a pragmatist who has shown an ability to go into any situation and find a system that fits the players and gets them to perform to a high level (Everton got 59 points in 2021 under him). Zidane did an incredible job with Real Madrid winning the Champions League 3 times in a row but that was taking an incredibly stacked squad and getting them to deliver on their talent, taking on United right now is a completely different task to have rebuild probably with a younger squad (presuming we can ship out some of the older players on big contracts). That Real Madrid team had about 15 players who would be probably be our best player right now.

Not that this is going to happen anyway. If he's going to manage again he should go to Bayern, they're much more set up to have success in the coming years. I still think it's more likely than not that Ten Hag stays and if he does go it seems like Potter and Southgate are the most likely options.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't even think he's like Ancelotti, Ancelotti is a pragmatist who has shown an ability to go into any situation and find a system that fits the players and gets them to perform to a high level (Everton got 59 points in 2021 under him). Zidane did an incredible job with Real Madrid winning the Champions League 3 times in a row but that was taking an incredibly stacked squad and getting them to deliver on their talent, taking on United right now is a completely different task to have rebuild probably with a younger squad (presuming we can ship out some of the older players on big contracts). That Real Madrid team had about 15 players who would be probably be our best player right now.
I really struggle with that. His first stint was with a stacked team that needed pragmatism and winning mentality. His second stint was when everyone thought that Real Madrid were screwed with aging stars and young undercooked players but he totally moved from his previous organization and while integrating young players he maintained a high level of success.

DSG

Not that this is going to happen anyway. If he's going to manage again he should go to Bayern, they're much more set up to have success in the coming years. I still think it's more likely than not that Ten Hag stays and if he does go it seems like Potter and Southgate are the most likely options.
Yeah. Zizou was just a bench jockey / cheerleader for those 3 CL titles.

Were much better off with proven winners like Ten Hag, Southgate and Potter :houllier:

RORY65

I really struggle with that. His first stint was with a stacked team that needed pragmatism and winning mentality. His second stint was when everyone thought that Real Madrid were screwed with aging stars and young undercooked players but he totally moved from his previous organization and while integrating young players he maintained a high level of success.
He did do that the 2nd time around, that's fair, and won a league title (admittedly still with Varane, Casemiro, Modric, Kroos and Benzema) but that stint isn't why posters in here are getting excited about him coming in. I do think he did a brilliant job there and probably could somewhere else, I just don't think much of what he did there is really transferable to the situation at United.

JPRouve

Scout
He did do that the 2nd time around, that's fair, and won a league title (admittedly still with Varane, Casemiro, Modric, Kroos and Benzema) but that stint isn't why posters in here are getting excited about him coming in. I do think he did a brilliant job there and probably could somewhere else, I just don't think much of what he did there is really transferable to the situation at United.
Why not? Why would you judge Ancelotti based on the entirety of his career which includes some failure but not judge Zidane on the entirety of his career which includes maximizing a great team(that was really struggling) through tactics and man-management and also includes a stint where he greatly changed his setup, introduced a handful of young players who are now superstars while maintaining high standards.

While I strongly believe that any player and any manager can fail anywhere for a multitude of reasons, the arguments against Zidane make no sense because they rely on ignoring his actual body of work.

USREDEVIL

Highly doubt Zidane would jump into this nightmare. Also kind of not sure about him. Achieving success with Real Madrid is one thing, overhauling the present United Squad with all of this drama is another.

RORY65

Yeah. Zizou was just a bench jockey / cheerleader for those 3 CL titles.

Were much better off with proven winners like Ten Hag, Southgate and Potter :houllier:
Yes because that's what I said. My point is that he was never seen as some exceptional coach but as someone who fit what an incredibly stacked squad like that needed in a manager. I'm sure you think he could win 3 CL's in a row with our squad just like he did with the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo and Carvajal at their peak, there's a very similar level of quality.

I also never said I would prefer Ten Hag, Southate or Potter, I know reading is difficult, I said I think that they're the most likely options for next season. To be honest if it's between those 3 I'd probably stick as we are, next season is a write-off anyway so might as well let Ten Hag be the fall guy for the shitshow.

the_cliff

Yes because that's what I said. My point is that he was never seen as some exceptional coach but as someone who fit what an incredibly stacked squad like that needed in a manager. I'm sure you think he could win 3 CL's in a row with our squad just like he did with the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo and Carvajal at their peak, there's a very similar level of quality.

I also never said I would prefer Ten Hag, Southate or Potter, I know reading is difficult, I said I think that they're the most likely options for next season. To be honest if it's between those 3 I'd probably stick as we are, next season is a write-off anyway so might as well let Ten Hag be the fall guy for the shitshow.
If only any one could win 3 ucls in a row with a stacked squad was as easy as you claim. Pep would have about 15 ucls right now. We'd have a lot more under Fergie as well.

CM

Highly doubt Zidane would jump into this nightmare. Also kind of not sure about him. Achieving success with Real Madrid is one thing, overhauling the present United Squad with all of this drama is another.
Agree with this, although I think there's going to be reservations with most available managers now. I'd still take the chance with one of them over keeping the current one.

RORY65

If only any one could win 3 ucls in a row with a stacked squad was as easy as you claim. Pep would have about 15 ucls right now. We'd have a lot more under Fergie as well.
In my first post I said he did an incredible job but I'm not sure it's particularly transferable to a squad that is as poor as ours. I said he should go to Bayern, they've got a lot of great players including a great number and maybe he can be the manager to give them the edge to win in Europe.

RORY65

Why not? Why would you judge Ancelotti based on the entirety of his career which includes some failure but not judge Zidane on the entirety of his career which includes maximizing a great team(that was really struggling) through tactics and man-management and also includes a stint where he greatly changed his setup, introduced a handful of young players who are now superstars while maintaining high standards.

While I strongly believe that any player and any manager can fail anywhere for a multitude of reasons, the arguments against Zidane make no sense because they rely on ignoring his actual body of work.
A lot of this is fair, I guess I just don't know how to judge how much of what he did is transferable given that team won before him and has continued to win after him. He oversaw a period of continued excellence, being European champions 3 years in a row is an incredible achievement, and he did partially oversee the transition to some of the younger players. I do think he could go to Bayern or PSG and do a phenomenal job, I'm just not sure the strengths he's shown so far are the things a team as poor as ours (that will take years of fixing) most urgently need.

Plus, more pertinently, why would he want to do the job? If it's him or most of the people we're linked with I would obviously pick him but most of the others don't have better options, he could easily get a better job than United manager.

Rojofiam

Agree with everything you said except Southgate being a likely option. Doubt he's being considered at all.

JPRouve

Scout
A lot of this is fair, I guess I just don't know how to judge how much of what he did is transferable given that team won before him and has continued to win after him. He oversaw a period of continued excellence, being European champions 3 years in a row is an incredible achievement, and he did partially oversee the transition to some of the younger players. I do think he could go to Bayern or PSG and do a phenomenal job, I'm just not sure the strengths he's shown so far are the things a team as poor as ours (that will take years of fixing) most urgently need.

Plus, more pertinently, why would he want to do the job? If it's him or most of the people we're linked with I would obviously pick him but most of the others don't have better options, he could easily get a better job than United manager.
I totally get that and I also always assume that a manager can fail because almost all of them have. So the questions do make sense especially when he has shown to be ruthless and not give playing time to players he doesn't trust, what happens if it's a large amount of players?

But the part that bothers me is how easily people dismiss 5 seasons where he has done something that nearly no one does even with stacked teams. And people also take the stacked team part for granted, that team started to look genuinely stacked and balanced after he made key changes otherwise his team wasn't less stacked than the one Mourinho had or what City, Bayern and even Barcelona have had in the last decade, we also saw what happened when these players weren't coached by Zidane or Ancelotti, they were significantly less imposing and consistent.

the_cliff

In my first post I said he did an incredible job but I'm not sure it's particularly transferable to a squad that is as poor as ours. I said he should go to Bayern, they've got a lot of great players including a great number and maybe he can be the manager to give them the edge to win in Europe.
I understand your point but downplaying an achievement that has literally never been done before by anyone in the modern era because of a stacked squad is quite silly. Especially since immediately prior to Zidane the same Madrid team was struggling under Ancelotti/Benitez and immediately after Zidane and Ronaldo left Lopetegui and Solari struggled with the same squad. Zidane had to literally come back into the team, win them another league and played a huge part in creating the Madrid team that won the UCL with Ancellotti 2 years ago.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So Bayern acts quickly and secures Zidane.
We again suck, I‘d take over Potter or Southgate anytime
Bayern's search for a new manager actually seems to be going quite bad. Let's have a long at the rumoured candidates:
Alonso: Made a point of publicly confirming he isn't leaving Leverkusen
Hoeneß: Extented his contract in Stuttgart shortly after the first rumours about Bayern came
Nagelsmann: Extented his contract with the DFB today
Rangnick: Confirmed he isn't going to do that (probably only a really low tier rumour, but anyway)

That leaves de Zerbi and Zidane as the apparently at least a bit reliable rumours for Bayern, but anyway it's obvious whoever they sign won't be first choice. That's never a good start for a new manager.

the_cliff

Bayern's search for a new manager actually seems to be going quite bad. Let's have a long at the rumoured candidates:
Hoeneß: Extented his contract in Stuttgart shortly after the first rumours about Bayern came
Rangnick: Confirmed he isn't going to do that (probably only a really low tier rumour, but anyway)

That leaves de Zerbi and Zidane as the apparently at least a bit reliable rumours for Bayern, but anyway it's obvious whoever they sign won't be first choice. That's never a good start for a new manager.
Yeah I agree, Tuchel was even asked today if he'd be willing to stay at Bayern by journalists because there's no clear replacement. He confirmed he's leaving at the end of the season no matter what.

doomy20

True but we will probably be in the same situation in 2 months and then what? No one can really believe potter or Southgate be considered, I refuse to believe that. That’s as if you wanna join F1 and buy street car to do so, doomed to fail from day 1. Sorry to say but even with all the flaws Eric is 10 times the coach Potter is. And Southgate is a non risk coaching dinosaur who fails even with the current outstanding England squad.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
True but we will probably be in the same situation in 2 months and then what? No one can really believe potter or Southgate be considered, I refuse to believe that. That’s as if you wanna join F1 and buy street car to do so, doomed to fail from day 1. Sorry to say but even with all the flaws Eric is 10 times the coach Potter is. And Southgate is a non risk coaching dinosaur who fails even with the current outstanding England squad.
I'm not sure about that. The big difference is that you didn't sack your current manager yet, while Bayern already did. If you really want a new manager and find one before you sack your current one, it will look better.

hobbers

I'd take Zidane over the rest of the candidates bar maybe Amorim.

If he actually is interested of course, always assumed he would never be interest in managing outside of Spain/France/national team

Valencia Shin Crosses

I get very tired of the rhetoric that Zidane just clapped his hands and made the dressing room get along while the team just won 3 CL’s on their own. Look deeper into it and his tactical flexibility and coaching style is very impressive not even mentioning his standing and ability to manage a dressing room of established greats mixed with younger players.

Would people also say no to Pep because he’s not a “rebuilding” type of manager? We’d rather have De Zerbi because he coached Brighton? Its like so many are looking for this perfect manager that’s both raised a lower level club to greatness AND THEN has gone and won trophies for a top club too.