Who replaces Ten Hag?

AneRu

Still, it’s more likely not to happen. Although Deschamps signing for the FFF for next WC cycle means Zizou isn’t going to wait.

Why? He’s never had the chance to squad build. Going against Pep head to head and beating him would just add to his legacy.

We’re now under INEOS and have deep pockets.

I think none of us know what’s in that man’s head. He literally quit at Real after 3 straight CL titles. Nobody knows. It’s an absolute long shot, but to bring in a grifter to “stabilize the side” at 12m / year, why not bring in the gold standard for 20m? Seriously, some in the Caf have a small mindset.

Personally, I’d never want to live in Manchester, but you could convince me for 60m guaranteed.
Yeah people don't know what motivates a man like Zidane, we now have a bunch of people in the building who would have access to him, who can goad him into taking up the challenge and we are now backed by deep pockets whilst ours aren't exactly shallow. My gut says he is not coming but there is a possibility that a guy like Blanc can get to him and talk a good game to get him to consider, 'you scared of Pep that's why you don't want to come' kinda thing.

You never know but we are big club, now under a serious executive and with serious owners but it's hard to imagine Zidane in the Conference League or even the Europa, no way he comes here now

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Everyone who is Zidane in, be careful what you wish for. I like him, but you lot have the 3 UCL in a row blinders on. He knew exactly what kind of team he had when he took the job. World class players all over that pitch as well as the best player on the planet. Compared to RM at that time, this United team are a League 1 side. His CV is light, and how long would he actually stay before getting frustrated with the time it would take for this side to return as a top team in England/Europe? He didn't even stick around after those 3 titles. Who knows how true the stories are, but I'm not so sure it would be the right move. He certainly would command respect from the players and his man managment is pretty good from what I have heard.
Hire a manager without proven CV (RDZ, Potter,etc): "he doesnt cut it for United". Hire a proven manager with insane CV (Zidane): he wont make it. The bolded part is a big bullshit. He won 11 TROPHIES in 4 seasons with Madrid. You say he won cause of stacked squad but I dont see Pep winning UCL 3x in a row. Why the fact he had a stacked squad is used as a stick to beat him ? If anything the fact he made them play as a team should be a plus point since managing this big egocentric stars arent easy (see the Galacticos era and how many trophies they won). Before he was appointed the first time, Madrid was limping and desperate hence they hired him. They had Benitez before him ffs ! Cue he came and made them a serial winner. When he left the first time Madrid appointed a slew of managers (lopetegui,etc) and they all failed before Madrid hired him back. He won a double on his second season of his second stint before leaving cause of disagreement with Perez.

Bondi77

The Zidane to United creeps around every year, just like Ronaldo back to United. Never gonna happen.
If he ever had intentions to come to England you would think he would have made steps to learn how to speak English which I am pretty sure he never has.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I lived in Madrid for two years that Zidane was coach. I enjoyed a lot of live football watching his Madrid side. He has his style but it’s not defined.

Do you believe that Ashworth, Wilcox etc will identify that counter attack, high wing pressure is going to be the way Manchester United is going to play and then bring in Zidane??

Where is the continuity in that direction?

Do you think that after all these changes the club won’t choose a defined style of play? It could be anything, maybe it’s gegenpress, maybe it’s possession. Whatever it is, they will decide on a style and the coach will fit that style.
I feel that Zidane could be a good fit especially because he doesn't have his own very defined style. He could just go along with the general direction of the club and the possibilities of the squad. So I think if the club defines that style and gets the players for it, Zidane would just implement it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I feel that Zidane could be a good fit especially because he doesn't have his own very defined style. He could just go along with the general direction of the club and the possibilities of the squad. So I think if the club defines that style and gets the players for it, Zidane would just implement it.
Hasn’t he already said he’ll never manage us? Don’t think he wants to manage in England to be fair. He’ll probably only ever manage Madrid, PSG or the French team.

Red00012

If he ever had intentions to come to England you would think he would have made steps to learn how to speak English which I am pretty sure he never has.
Have you been talking to him lately you have?

Red00012

Everyone who is Zidane in, be careful what you wish for. I like him, but you lot have the 3 UCL in a row blinders on. He knew exactly what kind of team he had when he took the job. World class players all over that pitch as well as the best player on the planet. Compared to RM at that time, this United team are a League 1 side. His CV is light, and how long would he actually stay before getting frustrated with the time it would take for this side to return as a top team in England/Europe? He didn't even stick around after those 3 titles. Who knows how true the stories are, but I'm not so sure it would be the right move. He certainly would command respect from the players and his man managment is pretty good from what I have heard.
What a truly terrible post
His CV is light been the winner…. 11 trophies won.
Now let’s compare to who we are been linked with. Southgate , Potter and De Zerbi. I know who I’d be choosing

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Sorry mate, but let’s assume you have billions on the line. You’ve just bought into a club that is generally considered one of the 3 or 5 biggest clubs in the world. Your asset value and results in the league and Champions League literally add 100s of millions to your asset value.

Do you:
A. Bring in a proven manager who has won major league titles in the big 5 leagues and won the CL. A man who has dealt with pressure and delivered. You pay, say double what you would for an unproven or lower league proven manager.
B. Save 10m a year and take a chance on a premier league and CL mostly unproven manager.

It’s A and it’s not close. Making the CL every year is worth 70-80m. Mitigating risk by bringing in a proven manager is much less risky than bringing in a De Zerbi or Potter or Motta or Amorim.
Fair point. I heard Jose and LVG are available. Should get one of them.

Premier League unproven is the biggest BS I ever heard. How many EPL games did Klopp, Pep and Tuchel have before taking over their clubs? How many EPL games did Postecoglou and Arteta have? A good coach is a good coach. They did not change their philopsophy, because of the mighty Premier League. They made small adjustements to style/players requirements to deal with minor differences. For example City/Liverpool tactical foul like mad, cause unlike on the continent, you never get yellow cards, so they can push/press even further up the pitch and not fear the counterattacking consequences once they are overplayed.

I just like to talk footie. I got no skin in this game. You do you. I think a "made bed/man motivator" coach is the wrong choice for United under the current circumstances.

My guess is that they already have an agreement with Tuchel, but Arsenal screwed up the announcement timeline.:lol:

AneRu

Premier League unproven is the biggest BS I ever heard. How many EPL games did Klopp, Pep and Tuchel have before taking over their clubs? How many EPL games did Postecoglou and Arteta have? A good coach is a good coach. They did not change their philopsophy, because of the mighty Premier League. They made small adjustements to style/players requirements to deal with minor differences. For example City/Liverpool tactical foul like mad, cause unlike on the continent, you never get yellow cards, so they can push/press even further up the pitch and not fear the counterattacking consequences once they are overplayed.

I just like to talk footie. I got no skin in this game. You do you. I think a "made bed/man motivator" coach is the wrong choice for United under the current circumstances.

My guess is that they already have an agreement with Tuchel, but Arsenal screwed up the announcement timeline.:lol:
The authority a guy like Zidane would command in that dressing room is unrivalled and the fan base would worship him from day one. He doesn't have a set style but in his second albeit less successful spell he did win the La Liga in difficult circumstances.

The monies that are considered high salaries for a coach are chicken feed to Ratcliffe and whilst a guy is relatively set if he is offered 20m a year his head would turn.

Guys like Amorim are good but no one has the gravitas that Zidane has. You could see what Ole's status within the club did to guys like Rashford, McT etc back then. Zidane's impact would be tenfold on just the existing players let alone those in Spain and France, just a phone call and the signing of a young player is secured.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
De Zerbi teams play good football but would it be the same as ETH if we had him here? His teams are left wide open so we’d leak a lot of goals again. He got battered of Aston Villa 6-1.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Bayern makes so much more sense for Zidane. He’s never really built a squad or coached a great style of play, has he? At Madrid what he did was more akin to Ancelotti’s achievements there but elevated.
I don’t think he will come here or has any interest, but I’m confident if he does it will be a disaster.

RORY65

It would be utter madness to go through all the work required to bring in serious and talented football operators like Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox and the saddle them with two average coaches who wouldn't have the support of the base. Woodward did that with Ole but he was Ole and you can see how the constant doubting wore him down, Potter wouldn't last half a season if he didn't hit the ground running same as Southgate. It would be foolish to start your rein by igniting a civil war with the fan base.

I think we now have the collection of great football brains at Executive and senior levels such that the question of who replaces Ten Hag will be answered by Southgate or Potter. That would be silly and reckless. A guy like Blanc would have access to Zidane, Berrada and Ashworth should know the best upcoming coaches on the continent and within the league and Ratcliffe is interested enough to get involved in any talks. I can see us getting a really top coach and spending heavily in the summer. No way Ratcliffe wants to start on a negative footing, INEOS may have made him rich but this is his legacy project.
That's all well and good but Berrada isn't coming until July and this is a promotion for him, he's got more responsibility than he's had before so will need time to settle into the job, while Wilcox, who until yesterday was working for a Championship club, is currently LARPing as our director of football because Ashworth won't be here for a while. I think that means Ten Hag has a very good chance of staying around while they sort things out but my point was if he doesn't then I think people previously of interest to INEOS like Potter or someone who is big on culture, like Southgate, would be of interest to that absolute con artist Dave Brailsford.

I don't know why an elite manager would want the job until things are more stable and they actually have the structure in place which we won't see the results of until next summer at the earliest. Zidane walked out on Real Madrid twice after 2 and a bit years because he wasn't happy with things, he would resign or have a stroke within a day managing this team currently.

AneRu

That's all well and good but Berrada isn't coming until July and this is a promotion for him, he's got more responsibility than he's had before so will need time to settle into the job, while Wilcox, who until yesterday was working for a Championship club, is currently LARPing as our director of football because Ashworth won't be here for a while. I think that means Ten Hag has a very good chance of staying around while they sort things out but my point was if he doesn't then I think people previously of interest to INEOS like Potter or someone who is big on culture, like Southgate, would be of interest to that absolute con artist Dave Brailsford.

I don't know why an elite manager would want the job until things are more stable and they actually have the structure in place which we won't see the results of until next summer at the earliest. Zidane walked out on Real Madrid twice after 2 and a bit years because he wasn't happy with things, he would resign or have a stroke within a day managing this team currently.
Zidane is a long short by like a mile. But to think that Ashworth and Berrada are doing a Moyes, literally sitting on their laps rather than preparing for the biggest assignment of their lives is almost an insult to their professionalism. Yes Berrada is getting a promotion but he has spent years as Soriano's protégé, he knows his way around the upper echelons of a football club whilst City are reportedly comfortable with him contributing right now so he is doing some work already.

INEOS spent a year trying to takeover the club, their pursuit of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox suggest they had a pretty good idea who they wanted coming in. I think they knew who they wanted for the roles and have pretty much nailed them. As the meltdown has occurred as the season progressed they would have known that they will soon need a new manager and they have Blanc, Berrada and Ashworth around identifying a manager won't be difficult.

Lee565

Doubt it.
Probably not for our owners as we seem a club intent on self destruction but from my own choice it would be him if we are talking realistic options of would be open to managing us as nagelsmann is now ruled out and highly doubt zidane would take over either

Remember the geese

Probably not for our owners as we seem a club intent on self destruction but from my own choice it would be him if we are talking realistic options of would be open to managing us as nagelsmann is now ruled out and highly doubt zidane would take over either
I'm not too enamoured with any of the options. Emery is a steady appointment, but he'll only take us so far. Alonso is the only one I'd be really invested in, but he isn't available.

the_cliff

Are they the only alternatives? Why do folk just band these two names around - there are a stack of managers out there who could come in and potentially do a much better job the ETH.
Go on then.

Zidane is by far the best manager available.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He needs to prove himself step by step or his legitimacy will be questioned the moment there's a turn in form. Let him do well in the championship, take a job on like Brighton / Palace, do well there and maybe he'll be in contention for the United job afterwards.

You can't just start your first job setting the tactics for Man Utd.

That's just how football normally works. You didn't see Madrid and Bayern fighting to give Alonso the job as soon as he was a manager. He started off with Leverkusen, did well and obviously there's interest.

Sure Moyes didn't work but the thinking behind picking a PL proven manager who is doing well isn't wrong. It was wrong for other reasons and if I had to do a post-mortem of what went wrong it's that:

1. There was a big tactical shift happening at that point in time from old school 90s / 00s football to positional play. Our losses in the CL final to Barca should've been a clue to wake up and modernize.

2. The leadership at that time (Fergie + board) were old school and relied on one key man for a long long time without modernizing any of our structures. That worked until the key man was in charge but fell apart after he left.

3. We've had incompetent leadership at the helm afterwards and the owners / board did not view successive management failures (+ 100s of millions down the drain) as a sign to replace the execs with more competent people.

4. This is mostly because the owners are trust fund idiots who probably can't even name the full United first team.

So this whole De Zerbi will fail in the same way as Moyes I don't buy because we're fixing a bunch of the root causes of our failure finally.
Who were pep and zidane coaching before winning cup after cup with Barca and Madrid?

Teja

Who were pep and zidane coaching before winning cup after cup with Barca and Madrid?
Pep was a one-off and possibly the only exception here. If you can't see the difference between Zidane and McKenna, I can't help.

For every Pep there are so many Klopps, Tuchels, Joses, Amorims and so on.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pep was a one-off and possibly the only exception here. If you can't see the difference between Zidane and McKenna, I can't help.

For every Pep there are so many Klopps, Tuchels, Joses, Amorims and so on.
Of course there’s a difference in stature, zidane was one of the greats of his generation. McKenna had to quit because of injury so became a young coach instead.

all I’m saying is that managers have been hired without previous and done very well. Pep and zidane being the biggest examples

FortunaUtd

Bayern got Zidane?
Nope. All reliable sources say Zidane and Bayern is not a topic. The only who said otherwise are Mundo Deportivo who are a trash source, and a Catalan at that who know nothing about either Zidane or Bayern.
The sources saying Zidane would be more interested in Man Utd are much more serious. Not that "more interested than in Bayern" means that he is very interested, mind.

Personally I think that if Zidane has so far resisted offers, he is not going to take this job either as it does not seem particularly attractive for Zidane to pause 3 years after serial CL wins with Real only to take over Man United in the Conference League.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Hard to know what Zidane's intentions are, he's probably been sounded out for just about every top European job except for Barca and City. The only one we can't be sure about is the French NT job.

I don't know whether he would be interested in us now, we've got new people in but none of them have a background with Zidane as far as I know. Perhaps he could be sold on the project but I imagine he's refused us already along with other English clubs.

I think Zidane wants a perfect job with a perfect city to live in.

Someone

Something

Agree. I don't think you need to be PL proven to get the job. There are two things in terms of experience i'd be looking for:
  1. You need to have a proven record at the top level. That could be through succeeding with an elite club, or even better succeeding at a club with less resources
  2. We need to avoid top managers who are past it.
Now some might argue that Real and Barcelona took a risk on Zidane and Pep without a proven record, but for me both took over great squads not in the phase we're in. Ole might have been successful with a good squad, same for ETH, but what we need now is different. We need to look at the Alonso type, those who are overachieving considering their resources.

DSG

The report actually said he is learning English. It could be complete bullshit, but they did mention that…

DSG

Nope. All reliable sources say Zidane and Bayern is not a topic. The only who said otherwise are Mundo Deportivo who are a trash source, and a Catalan at that who know nothing about either Zidane or Bayern.
The sources saying Zidane would be more interested in Man Utd are much more serious. Not that "more interested than in Bayern" means that he is very interested, mind.

Personally I think that if Zidane has so far resisted offers, he is not going to take this job either as it does not seem particularly attractive for Zidane to pause 3 years after serial CL wins with Real only to take over Man United in the Conference League.
Hard to know what Zidane's intentions are, he's probably been sounded out for just about every top European job except for Barca and City. The only one we can't be sure about is the French NT job.

I don't know whether he would be interested in us now, we've got new people in but none of them have a background with Zidane as far as I know. Perhaps he could be sold on the project but I imagine he's refused us already along with other English clubs.

I think Zidane wants a perfect job with a perfect city to live in.
I agree more with both of these points. It would be a huge surprise. I don’t think he’s motivated by money either.

I’d be surprised if he took the PSG job. He’s from Marseille… That leaves Juventus, maybe a London club, Chelsea…

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is so convincing about him?
Hes been good to very good in every season apart from this one. It's more that he's not as unconvincing than anything else.
Whilst there's credibility to the school of thought that he looks to set us out in a boneheaded way, I don't actually think what he's trying to implement is a bone headed system. It's executed terribly and he takes some blame in that process.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Hes been good to very good in every season apart from this one. It's more that he's not as unconvincing than anything else.
Whilst there's credibility to the school of thought that he looks to set us out in a boneheaded way, I don't actually think what he's trying to implement is a bone headed system. It's executed terribly and he takes some blame in that process.
Being good for Ajax is irrelevant here.

LordSpud

At the moment I can see Chelsea sacking Poch and us picking him up. What do we say about that?

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Hire a manager without proven CV (RDZ, Potter,etc): "he doesnt cut it for United". Hire a proven manager with insane CV (Zidane): he wont make it. The bolded part is a big bullshit. He won 11 TROPHIES in 4 seasons with Madrid. You say he won cause of stacked squad but I dont see Pep winning UCL 3x in a row. Why the fact he had a stacked squad is used as a stick to beat him ? If anything the fact he made them play as a team should be a plus point since managing this big egocentric stars arent easy (see the Galacticos era and how many trophies they won). Before he was appointed the first time, Madrid was limping and desperate hence they hired him. They had Benitez before him ffs ! Cue he came and made them a serial winner. When he left the first time Madrid appointed a slew of managers (lopetegui,etc) and they all failed before Madrid hired him back. He won a double on his second season of his second stint before leaving cause of disagreement with Perez.
Agree that it definitely shouldn't be a stick used to beat him with. People talk about money and squad strength but it's never a guarantee of anything, and there are many more ways it can go right than go wrong. So those trophies definitely count in his favor. Not easy to win the CL never mind 3 in a row.

The one question mark with Zidane for me is that he's never really had to rebuild the Madrid team himself. The only big signing he's ever actually made is Eden Hazard. Others were Luka Jovic, Eder Militao, Ferland Mendy, and Vini Jr on pretty big transfer fees, but nothing close to what they paid for Hazard. The team that won 3 CL was almost the exact same starting 11 every time and Zidane didn't sign any of them.

So there's a question as to whether he can rebuild a team as opposed to getting an already good team to perform to the highest level and win everything. If he's not responsible for the signings of players then I think it could be a shrewd move, but would depend on really good recruitment imo.