Who replaces Ten Hag?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Haven't Brighton won about 4 games in the past 4 months? Yet De Zerbi is being linked with two of the biggest jobs in football with United, & Barca, do me a fecking favour for christ's sake.
You have to be realistic when it comes to Brighton and try to look at the coaching/structure of their play, and discount the quality of their players. Much like Dortmund did when they hired Klopp. They got pillaged of their best players last summer, and have been ravaged by injuries practically all season. They still show the signs of his coaching, but the quality isn't there in most positions. Whether you want him or not is up to you, but you need to give him some leeway with the players they have had available (and still sit in a decent position).

They had more possession than Arsenal two weeks ago, and had 20 shots and 56% possession against Burnley. 67% possession and 24 shots vs Brentford, yet it finished 0-0. The coaching he has done is still visible - let's see how they go over the next few weeks with a few players returning.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Haven't Brighton won about 4 games in the past 4 months? Yet De Zerbi is being linked with two of the biggest jobs in football with United, & Barca, do me a fecking favour for christ's sake.
Ye but would you not put that down to there squad? Don’t forget they’ve been playing in Europe aswell and clearly don’t have the squad for it. No matter who they play though they always try and play a set way which is what people should be judging him on. Can he take that style and be successful with a bigger club? That’s yet to be seen.

Gator Nate

I find it fascinating that Potter is still a media favorite for the position... He's been available and could have a running start for next season but we haven't pulled the trigger. I don't see him as a serious candidate.

Zoo

The De Zerbi links are not a surprise considering he was touted as probably the favourite to replace Pep if he leaves during Berrada’s time at City.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Potter would be no better than ETH and de Zerbi is a risk imo. Not sure he would pull a Xavi Alonso at United.

soapythecat

Potter would be no better than ETH and de Zerbi is a risk imo. Not sure he would pull a Xavi Alonso at United.
Brighton play good football, regardless of recent poor win rate. When you consider their current squad compared to ours and you have to think he could do a much better job at United. We wouldn’t be wide open every game and a totally free for all for opposition to have a shot. I’d take RdZ in a heartbeat over ETH. We can only dream of playing football like them. We are very, very fortunate to be above them in the league.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Brighton play good football, regardless of recent poor win rate. When you consider their current squad compared to ours and you have to think he could do a much better job at United. We wouldn’t be wide open every game and a totally free for all for opposition to have a shot. I’d take RdZ in a heartbeat over ETH. We can only dream of playing football like them. We are very, very fortunate to be above them in the league.
People said the exact same things about Brighton under Potter.

Also, they've basically been in freefall since the opening 6 games.

They've gone from winning 83% of available points in the opening 6 games, to 37% in the next 26. They also scored over a third of their goals in those opening 6 games. It really isn't a mystery that they're below us.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What should have been a long long time ago, maybe even Sir Alex's successor. Disrespected.
Pretty sure Fergie sounded him out about it at the time, but he was off to Madrid.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Pretty sure Fergie sounded him out about it at the time, but he was off to Madrid.
In either his updated autobiography or the leadership book (can't remember which) he claims to have sounded out Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, but all were unavailable. I believe Klopp was also mentioned as not wanting to leave Dortmund, and I think even van Gaal as committing himself to the World Cup with Netherlands.

It very much came across as an attempt to distance himself from Moyes being first choice, so I'm not sure how much of it I actually believe.

C'est Moi Cantona

I would take De Zerbi over Potter every time.

He would still fill me with dread, but at least there is something there to hang your hat on, with Potter there is nothing, he is doomed to fail before he walks through the door.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
In either his updated autobiography or the leadership book (can't remember which) he claims to have sounded out Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, but all were unavailable. I believe Klopp was also mentioned as not wanting to leave Dortmund, and I think even van Gaal as committing himself to the World Cup with Netherlands.

It very much came across as an attempt to distance himself from Moyes being first choice, so I'm not sure how much of it I actually believe.
I think both Ancelotti and Guardiola have confirmed it in some form, and it does make the Moyes thing make a little more sense.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think both Ancelotti and Guardiola have confirmed it in some form, and it does make the Moyes thing make a little more sense.
Guardiola definitely has. Fergie's story is that they met for lunch/dinner and he asked Guardiola to call him before accepting another job, but he didn't and accepted the job at Bayern. Guardiola has said they met up, but his future was never discussed and no promises of phone calls were made.

Paul778

I find it fascinating that Potter is still a media favorite for the position... He's been available and could have a running start for next season but we haven't pulled the trigger. I don't see him as a serious candidate.
Bet it's because the contract has some bonuses for CL football and once we mathematically cannot qualify for next year it's cheaper to sack him.

chris123

Think some people will start touting Tuchel now, particularly if Bayern go even further in the Champions League, but I do not see him as a fit with the current ownership structure and what they are looking for in a manager at all.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Think some people will start touting Tuchel now, particularly if Bayern go even further in the Champions League, but I do not see him as a fit with the current ownership structure and what they are looking for in a manager at all.
Besides Tuchel plays such a different tune and relying on wing backs, wich, on the left we don't really have any (Shaw going injured every half season). And since 5th place CL seems gone too, I don't see Tuchel going to coach us in the conference league.

City just had 33 shots against Real. 67% possesion. 18 corners. I guess Ancelotti wouldn't survive 3 weeks with the ETH out gang so thats him off the list. I bet he wouldn't mind having a go at United while in that conference league but also: why would he leave Real? If he wins the CL, I don't think they would let him go either. fits like a glove in Madrid.

There are whispers LvG might be coming back for a last, last 1 year season at Ajax. You think he might be moved by the new ownership for a last goodbye with us?

edit: if ETH is out, then my guess is INEOS appoints an interim wilst making a shortlist of 3 names to start 25 26: Alonso, Emery and perhaps Lopetegui or Iraola. Or a stand out coach of the euros.

Last edited:

davidmichael

I’ve said for a long time that Ancelotti should be who we throw the book at bringing in as he’s a massive name, respected by everyone, worked with the biggest names and egos, tactically flexible, tactically brilliant, a great motivator, great man management and arguably has unfinished business in England.

This would steady the ship for a couple of years before others like RDZ, McKenna and others showed what they can really do then bring one in to take over a much more settled United that Ineos and Ancelotti had put in place and in the right path.

sdb4884

Ancelotti isn't going anywhere, don't waste your time with mentioning it. de Zerbi or even Tuchel for me, maybe Tuchel would be in line for the Germany role if Nagelsmann gets the Bayern job again.

Crimson King

United way died under Fergie.
Doesn't mean we need to go in the complete opposite direction. Things were bad enough under Mourinho at times, not sure I'd want to go through that again.

It's rather watch a team struggling to play positively, than a team be somewhat successful (relatively) but dull.

black country red

I think it will be Tuchel free at the end of the season european and premier league experience not as if the European experience will bother us next season but like or dislike a top manager

AneRu

I think it will be Tuchel free at the end of the season european and premier league experience not as if the European experience will bother us next season but like or dislike a top manager
I think so too, he is an easy hire to make and is proven at the top level being a CL winner, finalist and has achieved a top 3 finish before. He was solid at Chelsea even if you take out the CL win as some sort of an outlier and that ability to turn out a compact team is crucial - this is what I always look at. I am not very excited about him but I feel that a three year stint from a coach of his calibre will take us up a few notches.

Offsideagain

Screw who the next Manager will be. Can you imagine looking at this lot, with a few obvious exceptions, and thinking 'Do I want to be involved with these players?'. This Summer is vital. We need to get Berrada. Dan Ashworth and Wilcox in place quickly to sort out the transfer regime in so much as selling and buying players. With the Euros taking place, it will be difficult to but and sell players and the clock is ticking.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I can see Tuchel getting it. He is an impact manager and given Utd's penchant for an ex Chelsea manager I think he's a shoo in.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
I think so too, he is an easy hire to make and is proven at the top level being a CL winner, finalist and has achieved a top 3 finish before. He was solid at Chelsea even if you take out the CL win as some sort of an outlier and that ability to turn out a compact team is crucial - this is what I always look at. I am not very excited about him but I feel that a three year stint from a coach of his calibre will take us up a few notches.
Tuchel is exactly the guy United need for so many reasons. United have no shape or patterns of play at all. He´s a structural maniac. He´ll drill formations and patterns into them until they want or will puke in training.

He´s not afraid to go after big names,but he has tried to cater to their demands more, even against his own better judgment. For example trying to get Neymar or Mbappe to track back or not ordering Kimmich to play RB, until he had already lost his job. I have no doubt, if you United backed him and told him to sort that dressing room out, he´ll have no problem to bench the washed-up or unwilling big names. This might not last for more than 18-36 months, but at least he´ll build you the right foundation.

Also for the love of god, do not let him make transfer decisions. He´s awful at that. He´s good at finding the best formation with the players he´s handed, but sometimes it seems he does not even understand why his own system is working, like messing up the Werner-Havertz-Mount frontline with Lukaku. Imho that cost them the tie against Madrid and a likely repeat as CL winners.

But there is no doubt he has a great tactical mind. Cracked me up, when Kimmich said: We were up 2-0 against Heidenheim at HT and he basically told us eaxactly which tactical formation changes and substitutions they would make to come back, but we just didn´t listen, so we lost 2-3. :lol:

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
I’ve said for a long time that Ancelotti should be who we throw the book at bringing in as he’s a massive name, respected by everyone, worked with the biggest names and egos, tactically flexible, tactically brilliant, a great motivator, great man management and arguably has unfinished business in England.

This would steady the ship for a couple of years before others like RDZ, McKenna and others showed what they can really do then bring one in to take over a much more settled United that Ineos and Ancelotti had put in place and in the right path.
Ancelotti would be the worst coach for this bunch. He´s a very hands off coach. You need smart and professional players that train themselves and are tactically adjustable to basically execute the gameplan by themselves. United need a coach that drills patterns of play into them relentlessly in training.

Take the Bournemouth game. Ancelotti would say to Dalot: Watch out, they´ll overload your side, try to catch you over the top or with quick 1-2 combos. Keep your shape, stay connected with your CB. Dalot would be like :confused::confused::confused: Meanwhile a coach like Nagelsmann would just show him in training. He´d move Dalot around like a traffic cone until he has memorized all the correct movements in connection with the other traffic cones.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ancelotti would be the worst coach for this bunch. He´s a very hands off coach. You need smart and professional players that train themselves and are tactically adjustable to basically execute the gameplan by themselves. United need a coach that drills patterns of play into them relentlessly in training.
So what exactly is the role of Ancelotti.

Wilt

As previously said…. Utd will be very interested in Tuchel if Bayern win the CL

Lee565

Nagelsmann or emery is probably as good as it could get for us realistically which for me would put as having the 2nd best manager in the league next season

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Ancelotti is a man manager, great tactical mind, but he´s 64 years old. He´ll not grind daily, like a young coach would. He´ll give the players pointers and expect them to execute the plan. You think this current United squad can be relied on to execute patterns of play and tactical instructions just by verbalization. Then you might have a higher opinion of their fitness, tactical savvy and discipline than I do. I think no team is more in need of structure and discipline than the current United team. I´d say in terms of understanding what they are supposed to do on the pitch, United are literally the worst in the EPL, even behind Burnley or Sheffield.

Got a post limit, so this EDIT must do. Talk to you in 24 hours. :lol:

Ancelotti will have his backroom staff to support his work.

Yo bro, you pass the ball to Vini, Vini will make the run thing won't work and never worked. Bellingham himself said how they worked on defensive structure in preparation for this game.

Not only Madrid, no club works like that. They do tactical drills and if not manager who is involved in every detail then his coaching staff will.
Of course. But there are levels to everything. Ancelotti might think 30 minutes are enough. Nagelsmann might do two hours. Working smarter ain´t for United. Working harder is. At least on recent evidence under ETH. Maybe Harry is a hidden Beckenbauer afterall.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He is an excellent man-manager and a quite good and pragmatic tactician. He won't walk into a club with a clear system in mind, he will look at the players he has, talk with them and then find a system that suits the most of them extremely well. Especially visible when Madrid make a new superstar signing and everybody wondering "how can X play together with Y, that won't work".
And then he comes up with a solution like this year the midfield diamond with wide strikers - plays four of his exciting midfielders, plays Vini to his strengths, doesn't have to care about the lack of a true striker as Bellingham can just run into the box.

roonster09

Scout
Ancelotti is a man manager, great tactical mind, but he´s 64 years old. He´ll not grind daily, like a young coach would. He´ll give the players pointers and expect them to execute the plan. You think this current United squad can be relied on to execute patterns of play and tactical instructions just by verbalization. Then you might have a higher opinion of their fitness, tactical savvy and discipline than I do. I think no team is more in need of structure and discipline than the current United team. I´d say in terms of understanding what they are supposed to do on the pitch, United are literally the worst in the EPL, even behind Burnley or Sheffield.
Ancelotti will have his backroom staff to support his work.

Yo bro, you pass the ball to Vini, Vini will make the run thing won't work and never worked. Bellingham himself said how they worked on defensive structure in preparation for this game.

Not only Madrid, no club works like that. They do tactical drills and if not manager who is involved in every detail then his coaching staff will.

roonster09

Scout
He is an excellent man-manager and a quite good and pragmatic tactician. He won't walk into a club with a clear system in mind, he will look at the players he has, talk with them and then find a system that suits the most of them extremely well. Especially visible when Madrid make a new superstar signing and everybody wondering "how can X play together with Y, that won't work".
And then he comes up with a solution like this year the midfield diamond with wide strikers - plays four of his exciting midfielders, plays Vini to his strengths, doesn't have to care about the lack of a true striker as Bellingham can just run into the box.
Yeah I know, I asked that as the poster i replied said player train themselves, do tactical adjustments themselves.

It has reached a stage where if a manager isn't like a lunatic then they don't do tactical work.

ThemanGiggsy

where is the Luis Enrique being available talk from?

other than nagelsmann, i think Enrique would be brilliant.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If PSG win the Champions League, Luis Enrique might see that as job done and be open to a move to United if they need a manager. Whether he'd want to manage in the Europa League or the Conference League is another matter with all due respect.

Fallon d'Floor

There are at least half a dozen good options out there if INEOS are serious:

Rúben Amorim - 39 years old

My personal favourite candiate. I believe that both Amorim and Alonso are the next two elite managers in the making. He's maintained a a win percentage of over 70% at every club/role so far in his career.

Taca de Liga winner x3 (one at Braga, two at Sporting)
Primeira Liga winner

And in with a chance of league and cup double this season. Sporting are currently 7 points clear of Benfica with 5 games left to play.

Roberto De Zebri - 44 years old

On course for back to back to top 10 Premier League finishes with Brighton. He guided Brighton to their 1st ever European campaign. He topped his Europa League group and has a good record vs the traditional big teams in England. 44.5% win rate. Potter's win rate was 38.7% in comparison.

Back to back 8th place finishes with Sassuolo in Serie A also.

No other manager in The PL has given more minutes to U21 players than De Zerbri this season. Verbruggen, Hinshelwood, Baleba, Buonanotte, Enciso, Fati, Adingra, Ferguson.

Julian Nagelsmann - 36 years old

Only 36 years old, but already hugely experienced. 8 years of senior management experience already. Earned a big move to Bayern after doing great jobs at both Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig. Harshly treated by the former decision makers at Bayern, he was sacked with a win percentage of over 70%. He's doing a good job at rebuilding Germany ahead of Euro 2024. Musiala and Wirtz featured heavily in their recent friendly wins over France and The Netherlands.

Thomas Tuchel - 50 years old

A mixed spell at Bayern, no doubt. Not helped by Bayern selling off their squad depth in order to fund the signing of Harry Kane and their failure to sign an athletic DM (Palhinha), he's somehow managed to get Bayern to the semi-finals of The Champions League. He'd become the 1st manager in CL history to take three different clubs to the final.

His time at Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea were very good stints. High win percentages and multiple trophies + finals at all three clubs. He was 1 win away from completing a historic quadruple with PSG.

Sebastian Hoeneß - 41 years old

His work at Stuttgart has probably gone under the radar due to Alonso and Leverkusen's success. But he currently has Stuttgart 3rd in The Bundesliga with a win percentage of 64.4% after just a year at the club. CL football is very likely. They have a 7 point gap over Leipzig with 5 games left to play.

Míchel - 48 years old

He has Girona currently 3rd in La Liga with an 8 point gap over Athletic Bilbao who are in 5th. 7 games to go. He's worked well with a squad combined of veterans such as Daley Blind and Cristhian Stuani + young players such as Yan Couto and Sávio. A little bit of a wobble recently, but they've generally played some very good attacking football and could make history this season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sebastian Hoeneß - 41 years old

His work at Stuttgart has probably gone under the radar due to Alonso and Leverkusen's success. But he currently has Stuttgart 3rd in The Bundesliga with a win percentage of 64.4% after just a year at the club. CL football is very likely. They have a 7 point gap over Leipzig with 5 games left to play.
3rd with a very good chance to end the season as 2nd, as they are on par with Bayern (just behind due to goal difference) and his team still cares, Bayern doesn't.