g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who replaces Ten Hag?

Lee565

Very left field but gasperini from atalanta, his side has always played good attacking football under him

redshaw

Just feels like another lamb to the slaughter.

I can't think of anyone good enough that would want it, nor anyone experienced and having the needed character to hold it all down. Changes at the top are needed, I'm not convinced about the so called new implementation of inhouse Murtough and co that needs time. We just saw two summers of manager indulgement really and the same old rinse and repeat heavy spending car crash and scared shit football.

I've liked Amorim but similar to ETH, he's done good with limited resources but United will mostly likely ruin him. With Amorim though he did transform Sporting.

Favre perhaps to try a playstyle?

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
I'm struggling to think who you'd replace him with to be honest.

I'll get cained for this, but I honestly think if Ronaldo hadn't come back Ole may still be here, those first several games before he came back we were playing some decent football and it looked like we had turned a corner.

It feels like we're in free fall at the moment, more so than at any other time and every win is just clawing onto the inevitable and that's EtH getting the sack. Not that I want that to happen but the more defeats we have the more I can see it happening. (As obvious as that sounds :lol:)

If we'd had signed Ange I don't think he'd have the same success as he has had at Spurs, the pressure the Man Utd job has is immeasurable.

The club has become a poisoned chalice for players and for managers. They come here and just turn to shit.
They come here and fail because they don't understand the job role. They think they're coming into a Juventus or Barcelona, a giant team trying to spend their way out of trouble, instant success needed with a view to being much better. Hence the reason these managers keep saying they need more players and more money, it's never enough for them. We need someone who sees the project and has a clear plan that improves us year on year instead of living game to game.

Orange Tree

I want someone who would put faith on young players rather than bringing in mediocre back up players.

FrenchRed

I'm not having YET ANOTHER rebuild. Sets the club back even further, give the man more time. He's had a season and several months.

Give him at least 3 seasons. Fed up of chopping and changing it's getting tedious and the fact that there's a section of the forum that want to change after 1 season is astounding. Yes we're shite but we've been shite for a decade +.
The longer a bad manager stays, the more bad players they bring in, the longer the club gets worse, the longer time needed to clean it up.

lex talionis

What we need is what we won't get -- an owner who cares about something other than money. A new manager wouldn't solve the root of the problem at the club. You can trim the branches, but if the root remains in tact, the new branches that shoot out will look just the same.

Castia

De Zerbi for me in the summer along with a new footballing team under Sir Jim.

ETH has been given money and players it’s nowhere near good enough

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wait until the regime change happens ( hopefully sometime this century) and then see if we can get Simeone in

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If there is to be a new manager, and I think we are getting close to the point where it may be inevitable, it absolutely must NOT be an up and comer. Like ETH was, or like De Zerbi or Amorim.

It has to be someone who has seen it all, done it all at a top club. If Ancelotti is leaving Real next year, I wouldn't mind him for a couple of years.

Roboc7

I'm not having YET ANOTHER rebuild. Sets the club back even further, give the man more time. He's had a season and several months.

Give him at least 3 seasons. Fed up of chopping and changing it's getting tedious and the fact that there's a section of the forum that want to change after 1 season is astounding. Yes we're shite but we've been shite for a decade +.
We need a rebuild on and off the pitch, until dross like Murtough and co are removed no manager has a chance. No way ETH is getting 3 years he’s as good as gone already.

Based on how it’s going he’ll be replaced by an interim at some stage this season, I doubt club have slightest idea who would replace him permanently.

Castia

The worry is giving him more money though, we seem to be getting sucked into a ETH world that’s full of his ex colleagues whilst none of them including himself look good enough. I see absolutely nothing on the pitch that suggests he needs time we’re going backwards

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need an elite coach. Its not good enough for Manchester United to make top four - we have to be winning Premier leagues. So how many elite coaches are available? Very few - zidane and nagglesman, if you consider them elite, which is up for debate. Im not sold on De Zerbi, is he an elite coach or just another ole/ten hag.

Simone would be interesting but can he speak english - which also applies to Zidane.

bdspeedy

We'll NEVER win anything whilst we are infested by the glazers. Changing managers only provides cover and more time for those corrupt, inept parasites. Time for fans to drop tools and strike the club in whatever feeble chance we have to chase them out. They will NEVER leave until they've squeezed every last drop of blood from the club. Walk away.

FortunaUtd

You really need to get it in your head that changing managers is NOT the same as a "rebuild". Conflating the two ideas is the reason why our squad is so poor and we are in this mess in the first place.

Rebuilds have to do with the makeup of the squad, aging players, building a spine etc. Arguably we needed a rebuild after SAF retired, with his team aging, and instead of creating a structure for a intelligent rebuild we gave that power to the managers we hired. It should have been clear that being SAF's successor would have been a task you expect a couple of candidates to fail at.
But we hired completely diverse and unsuitable managers who each left a chaotic imprint on the squad, so for a decade we've been building a house with everchanging blueprints.
Now even a decent manager has trouble with the state of the team, and we are making the same mistake again, letting him erratically buy players he feels he can trust.

I am not Ten Hag out, but if he continues to do such a poor job as right now he needs to go and we need to hire someone else to work with what is there. Leave the notion of a rebuild out of it. The rebuild is always happening.
Most important thing is to get in a better CEO and DoF to make those decisions, squad building and managerial hirings.
Here is hoping that could be one good thing about the change in ownership makeup.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If there is to be a new manager, and I think we are getting close to the point where it may be inevitable, it absolutely must NOT be an up and comer. Like ETH was, or like De Zerbi or Amorim.

It has to be someone who has seen it all, done it all at a top club. If Ancelotti is leaving Real next year, I wouldn't mind him for a couple of years.
Yea i agree with this. At this stage we have exhausted a lot of our options - the one ferguson picked (moyes), the possession based one (LVG), the counter attacking one (Mourinho), the fan favourite one (ole), the up and coming one (ten hag). Zidane perhaps but he wont want to come i feel.

Redstain

De Zirbi because he is a quality coach. The reason many feel there isn't anyone good enough to be available is because everyone is looking for a manager rather than a coach. There are countless managers who play better football than what United have displayed under ETH.

An astute coach should be the only thing that's worth consideration they are the standard of every successful team. Also would throw Lopetegui into the conversation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
De Zirbi because he is a quality coach. The reason many feel there isn't anyone good enough to be available is because everyone is looking for a manager rather than a coach. There are countless managers who play better football than what United have displayed under ETH.

An astute coach should be the only thing that's worth consideration they are the standard of every successful team. Also would throw Lopetegui into the conversation.
ETH played good football at every club he managed before United

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
De Zirbi because he is a quality coach. The reason many feel there isn't anyone good enough to be available is because everyone is look for a manager rather than a coach. There are countless managers who play better football than what United have displayed under ETH.

We dont know whether he is able to do it at a top top club where the expectations and pressures are through the roof. If brighton finish seventh, 25 points behind the winners its considered a good season. You cannot say the same for Man Utd - we have to be winning premier leagues and champions leagues. Even the players know this and respond to this - the brighton players will still back their manager if the finish seventh 25 points behind the winners. At Man Utd they will throw the manager under the bus because they the players want to be winners.

I am not saying De Zerbi isnt good. But we just dont know if hes good enough for Man Utd. We all thought ten hag was and today it looked like City were playing a different sport to us.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Tired of the circus that has become Manchester United.

AneRu

Very left field but gasperini from atalanta, his side has always played good attacking football under him
Like Ten Hag did at Ajax? I know ETH will go soon, he hasn't done well and I don't know what he was thinking when he went headlong into the summer and all the nonsensical signings he made that had us regress but the issues we had since Van Gaal was here are still there: we just can't identify football talent be it playing wise or managerial.

We can bring in a good manager, fight and win top four but we will always stutter on the step up to challenging because we just don't have the fundamentals right. Every best eleven we have had since SAF's days has always lacked something and every manager has fallen trying to solve this deficiency or that shortcoming and every summer we are always four or five players short but never getting close.

The issue here is deeper than the manager, we have average to poor decision makers at every level of the club. That's on the owners and as long as they are here with that attitude we are stuck in City's shadows and I fear we may have blown away our ability to spend our way into CL places.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

So we should give him even more time to set the club back even further and waste even more money on players that another manager will have to replace. That’s a sound way to run the club. If anything we are where we are because we always take way too long to replace coaches. We must be the only club in the world whose fan base cultivates this idea that any, literally any manager will come good if they are given enough time. It’s bonkers.

AaronRedDevil

I dont even care anymore. Just get a manager that has good actual attacking identity. I just want to be entertained watching our club. Not wondering why we take too long to pass it, make no runs or ignore them completely, have NO IDEA what to do with the ball and don't even know what to do when we are in the final 3rd. Everything just feels like we make it up as we go along. That's the problem.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Just don’t let Murder Murtough pick his replacement while he’s on his coffin. Let the new sporting director start with a clean slate so we don’t have to back another manager when he arrives.

Someone

Something

Problem is, there comes a time when the manager loses the players and results don't recover. That's why a lot of top managers lose their jobs, it's not because they're no longer good, it's because they can't influence the team anymore. This seems to be the case with ETH currently. Our best players are in a terrible form, and every game is a massive struggle.

Kaos

We need an elite coach. Its not good enough for Manchester United to make top four - we have to be winning Premier leagues. So how many elite coaches are available? Very few - zidane and nagglesman, if you consider them elite, which is up for debate. Im not sold on De Zerbi, is he an elite coach or just another ole/ten hag.

Simone would be interesting but can he speak english - which also applies to Zidane.
Simeone's football would be absolute turd, but I'll be honest, it would be satisfying to see him completely slaughter our players. Sancho would probably end up hogtied in a dungeon somewhere.

MegadrivePerson

Nagglesman is not available, he's the Germany manager. Zidane is holding out for the France national team.

Redstain

We dont know whether he is able to do it at a top top club where the expectations and pressures are through the roof. If brighton finish seventh, 25 points behind the winners its considered a good season. You cannot say the same for Man Utd - we have to be winning premier leagues and champions leagues. Even the players know this and respond to this - the brighton players will still back their manager if the finish seventh 25 points behind the winners. At Man Utd they will throw the manager under the bus because they the players want to be winners.

I am not saying De Zerbi isnt good. But we just dont know if hes good enough for Man Utd. We all thought ten hag was and today it looked like City were playing a different sport to us.
I understand where your coming from but those standards aren't relative to United at all. Long gone are the days of the club aspiring to win the league, the present consensus is to gain stability in and around challenging for the league which Erik is failing to do.

There's also more sample size with De Zirbi compared to Eth at Ajax. He's played good football in Italy's first division and in the English league. That's a very respectable element that is often diminished. Another poster mentioned for instance that Erik has played good football at every club he's managed (which I highly doubt is accurate no United fan is watching Utrecht or the Bayern Munich second team) whereas Serie A is a far more competitive environment and experience of managing in the league speaks for itself.

One thing that Klopp and Arteta have shown is that they have a conviction in how they want to play and are set in those methods. Erik came in and has been double minded in this approach which has created a dysfunctional system where the team played partial possession football last season and majorly faulted in tougher games playing on the counter being pragmatic (the performances massively dipped in February).

The following season rather than build on some of the limited performance successes the manager decides to reinvigorate the team with a new philosophy and a system that instigated the purchasing of Mount and the ridiculous double 8 shape that has opened the team up like a can of beans. All while being in his second season at what is arguably the toughest league in Europe. I don't intend to be disrespectful but it comes across as stupidity there are too many moving elements to gain a foothold of anything that's why the team looks lost outside of the first 15 mins of most games home and away.

What I'm trying to say is that De Zirbi is a good shout because if he sticks to his guns the metric of time can be used to buy into his ideas. The relevancy for Arsenal sticking with Arteta falls into the same category. United don't need a manager to come in and hit the ground running because the results will cause the fans and club to overlook what compounds success overtime, they need one who has a foundation that the players buy into, the said foundation raises individual players levels and then any players that are signed transition easily into that function, because it's a directive not some temperamental intention.

Last edited:

Telsim

I'd wait until after the Copenhagen game. The club should be lining up replacements, though. If this continues...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I understand where your coming from but those standards aren't relative to United at all. Long gone are the days of the club aspiring to win the league, the present consensus is to gain stability in and around challenging for the league which Erik is failing to do.

There's also more sample size with De Zirbi compared to Eth at Ajax. He's played good football in Italy's first division and in the English league. That's a very respectable element that is often diminished. Another poster mentioned for instance that Erik has played good football at every club he's managed (which I highly doubt is accurate no United fan is watching Utrecht or the Bayern Munich second team) whereas Serie A is a far more competitive environment and experience of managing in the league speaks for itself.

One thing that Klopp and Arteta have shown is that they have a conviction in how they want to play and are set in those methods. Erik came in and has been double minded in this approach which has created a dysfunctional system where the team played partial possession football last season and majorly faulted in tougher games playing on the counter being pragmatic (the performances massively dipped in February). The following season rather than build on some of the limited performance successes the manager decides to reinvigorate the team with a new philosophy and a system that instigated the purchasing of Mount and the ridiculous double 8 shape that has opened the team up like a can of beans. All while being in his second season at what is arguably the toughest league in Europe.

What I'm trying to say is that De Zirbi is a good shout because if he sticks to his guns the metric of time can be used to buy into his ideas. The relevancy for Arsenal sticking with Arteta falls into the same category. United don't need a manager to come in and hit the ground running, they need one who has a foundation that the players buy into, the said foundation raises individual players levels and then any players that are signed transition easily into that function, because it's a directive not some temperamental intention.
Come on. Everyone was creaming themselves at Ten Hag coming going by the football he played at Ajax. De Zerbi is in the same bracket - we just dont know if he will turn out to be the saviour or will he go the way of ten hag and ole. We said the exact same things about ten hag as you are saying about De zerbi.

The thing about it, its about 70 percent psychology and 30 percent tactics. Ten hag is telling the players constantly what to do, but he cannot motivate them like pep does to city or what Ferguson did when he was over us. Vince Lombardi (who Ferguson had studied) once said that any idiot can draw tactics on a board, the top top elite coaches get inside players heads. Its very true.

So we just dont know. Is de zerbi the next pep or is he the next potter. The chelsea bosses said the exact same things about potter that you are saying about de zerbi. Like i suggested you finish 8th with brighton its considered a very good season. With us, we have to be winners.

I apologize i am not trying to come across as rude to you, just fed up with the mediocrity we have dished out since ferguson retired. We have made all sorts of gambles in the last ten years, so the next coach really has to be top top.

Redstain

Come on. Everyone was creaming themselves at Ten Hag coming going by the football he played at Ajax. De Zerbi is in the same bracket - we just dont know if he will turn out to be the saviour or will he go the way of ten hag and ole. We said the exact same things about ten hag as you are saying about De zerbi.

The thing about it, its about 70 percent psychology and 30 percent tactics. Ten hag is telling the players constantly what to do, but he cannot motivate them like pep does to city or what Ferguson did when he was over us. Vince Lombardi (who Ferguson had studied) once said that any idiot can draw tactics on a board, the top top elite coaches get inside players heads. Its very true.

So we just dont know. Is de zerbi the next pep or is he the next potter. The chelsea bosses said the exact same things about potter that you are saying about de zerbi. Like i suggested you finish 8th with brighton its considered a very good season. With us, we have to be winners.

I apologize i am not trying to come across as rude to you, just fed up with the mediocrity we have dished out since ferguson retired. We have made all sorts of gambles in the last ten years, so the next coach really has to be top top.
I'll agree to differ but there are valid points you have made with reservations I think those are relevant concerns.

Skills

Snitch
Just feels like another lamb to the slaughter.

I can't think of anyone good enough that would want it, nor anyone experienced and having the needed character to hold it all down. Changes at the top are needed, I'm not convinced about the so called new implementation of inhouse Murtough and co that needs time. We just saw two summers of manager indulgement really and the same old rinse and repeat heavy spending car crash and scared shit football.

I've liked Amorim but similar to ETH, he's done good with limited resources but United will mostly likely ruin him. With Amorim though he did transform Sporting.

Favre perhaps to try a playstyle?
Not this shit again :lol:

Cathy Ferguson

We played poorly against Wolves and Spurs when we had Casemiro and a fully fit back four available but ideally I would like to see what ETH can achieve with a fit back four. No point in sacking him before January but he will not turn things around with this midfield, Antony as RW and a 20 year old novice striker.