Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if we get a Omar Berrarda situation where there is an announcement that will catch us all by surprise.

As I've said it's looking like it's between Frank and De Zerbi now. Trust Matt Lawton he knows his stuff.

You can relax lads it isn't going to be Southgate.

It should be obvious. The Southgate nonsense was always overplayed. Ben Jacobs said it's been overplayed too. Glad Ornstein has finally echoed the same.

Is anyone left even?
Frank and De Zerbi are the only ones who haven't been ruled out. Frank is actually the only remaining name left from the four man shortlist that was reported by the Times a few weeks ago but Lawton did confirm that we've reached out to De Zerbi since then.

What did lawton say?
In the article yesterday which confirmed Tuchel was ruled out, he only mentioned Frank, De Zerbi and Poch as managers we've been in contact with. Southgate didn't even get a mention and I don't believe he got a mention either in the four man shortlist article he wrote a few weeks ago.

i wonder if we get a Omar Berrarda situation where there is an announcement that will catch us all by surprise.
Not many unexpected candidates out there, most managers seem bound up one way or another and we've basically exhausted all the others from our shortlist if reports are to be believed.

RxYQGcB.jpeg

Seeing as The Times said Poch is no longer under consideration and Tuchel has been ruled. That leaves Thomas Frank and De Zerbi. Maybe INEOS want a young manager who wants his first chance at a big club.

Also if INEOS want a manager who concentrates on the first team and their coaching ala european model. Maybe they want someone who is very good on the training ground. We know de zerbi is. Is Thomas Frank also a very good training ground manager or one who hands off training to his assistants?

Seeing as The Times said Poch is no longer under consideration and Tuchel has been ruled. That leaves Thomas Frank and De Zerbi. Maybe INEOS want a young manager who wants his first chance at a big club.

Also if INEOS want a manager who concentrates on the first team and their coaching ala european model. Maybe they want someone who is very good on the training ground. We know de zerbi is. Is Thomas Frank also a very good training ground manager or one who hands off training to his assistants?
Or, wild suggestion I know, maybe they have simply been conducting due diligence by speaking to potential candidates who they feel may be a better fit for them, but are now leaning towards sticking with a manager with a proven track record of first team success while operating within a European model.

Why hasn't the club that paid 5m for De Zerbi announced him yet? :rolleyes:

If it's us , why are we still speaking to managers ?

Maybe city have him lined him up for when pep goes after next season. A year to learn in the background ?

It's anybodies guess what's going on .

If timeline was the only factor in moving on then that really is worrying.
Even just considering Southgate is a poor decision.

I hope we haven't hung our hat on bringing Southgate in to move away from that idea, to then land on de Zerbi who announced weeks ago he's leaving Brighton.

It's all been very poorly thought out.

If the choice is left to ETH, Frank and De Zerbi then I’d say all three are somewhat uninspiring.

Frank comes across as a prick, but he has an arrogance about him that I don’t think he’d be swallowed up by the job like say a Potter. Also has had the lowest budget in the league (bar promoted teams) and had Brentford relatively comfortable until last season where he lost some key players due to injury and betting scandals. In the championship they played free flowing stuff and he’s not only beaten every top team in the league he’s had games dominating all the top teams in the league.

De Zerbi also has that arrogance, played the most breaking football in the league last season and has improved a lot of bang average players technically. We have a far better squad than Brighton on the whole and so I’d be excited to see how he could improve some players who maybe need a bit more hands on coaching.

ETH is obviously a good coach, but he’s incredibly stubborn (like De Zerbi) and was committed to playing a way that didn’t really make sense until the final 3 games of the season where we finally looked like a team. He’s consistency, has improved some player, brought through youth and doesn’t seem to have lost the dressing room regardless of our position.

I wouldn’t be happy with any of those three but I wouldn’t be sad as I could see some possible hope. I don’t think any of the three are the ones to take us back to the top, but that manager isn’t available whoever he is. The only reason I wouldn’t mine to go for someone over ETH is there’s a bit more of a who knows quality to them getting us into the top 4 due to them being unknown quantities as our managers. Whereas ETH it would take a huge turn around and so that is just blind hope.

Get the feck in!!

I suggested this yesterday. There was very little chance we were going to let this drag on until after the Euros and sack Ten Hag in 5 weeks time.

My only comfort with the Southgate rumours is I don't think it will even work with the timing.

Southgate is almost certainly not going to agree to join us in the next few days as he has a tournament to prepare for and he doesn't want the team distracted by stories of him joining United. So the soonest he could sit down and agree a deal with us would be in around 5 weeks time realistically. I don't see any circumstances in which we keep Ten Hag for the next 5 weeks, and then sack him. We can't and won't drag it on until after the Euros.

Neither can I see a scenario where we sack Ten Hag this week despite not having a deal in place with a new manager, and then hope in 5 weeks time the talks with Southgate go well.

Having said that, if Southgate really was the man they want, they'd probably find a way to make it happen. But I also think they'd likely not be stupid enough to make themselves massively unpopular with our fanbase in their first summer at the club

It was obvious we weren't getting Southgate this summer, that was never the worry? With the Euros etc. it made no sense. But he's not disappearing, and they clearly like him. So this potential nightmare isn't over.

Forget Ten Hag

Imagine if we have the chance to hire Tuchel or Poch and turn them both down to hire Gareth Southgate TBE (turd of the empire)

It's one thing to say no to Poch, but it's hard to imagine turning down Tuchel to hire Southgate. Mind-boggling idiocy by INEOS if this is what comes to pass.

My working theory is it'll be RDZ and they've held back from sacking EtH either due to his holiday or because they are waiting to pass a certain date in order to pay out less money. I don't think they are the sentimental type, so we could be waiting another couple weeks.

It sounds like all the journos have got together and figured out a way to collectively backpedal away from the initial hard-line ' he's definitely gone stance ' .

I doubt cross has spoken to ineos , so it's most likely from Southgate. No agent worth his salt is going to say , United were never interested in my client , when asked .

The narrative is switching to ' poor ten hag '

Or, wild suggestion I know, maybe they have simply been conducting due diligence by speaking to potential candidates who they feel may be a better fit for them, but are now leaning towards sticking with a manager with a proven track record of first team success while operating within a European model.
indeed. that maybe the case. they may decide to give ETH another year as Ashworth and Berreda arent going to be taking up their positions till later on his year.

Whatever happens one thing is for sure. ETH won’t be the manager next season.

There not doing all this to allow him to continue his job they clearly don’t believe in. What would be the point. We would just be writing off another season as he will fail.

How come Potter disappeared from contention?

Not the best option but still vastly superior to Southgate and British.

I like the idea of Thomas Frank. We keep trying to skip the process. We need someone to help build up our style and identity. Ten Hag clearly can’t get his ideas across successfully.

Whilst I actually thought he would be a good candidate if we're getting someone from the league, trying to say he's one of the best candidates is an absolute nonsense take.

Well, I'm open to all of the candidates except Southgate, due to Ineos apparently considering the manager's position as more of a head coach position. Frank seems to have a possession-based default philosophy but has shown great adaptability as well due to Brentford having one of the weakest squads in the league. He also seems to have some charisma and not a boring character. He's an acceptable choice for me. A risky appointment, but potentially a high ceiling project.

Status
Not open for further replies.