Who replaces Ten Hag?

The Hilton

I understand what he meant by "transitional" football. But he abandoned if after a couple of games. Just like he abandoned his plan of playing out of the back at the start of last season once beaten by Brighton and Brentford.

The idea was to have 2 x 8s (Mount and Bruno) playing further up the field. It left us completely exposed and wide open in midfield. As seen v Wolves and Spurs. And this was when we had a full team, minus Hojland.
You seem incapable of discussing this without hyperbole and obvious falsehoods. He absolutely has not abandoned any of his plans. We were still playing out from the back last season, although not as much as he wanted due to personnel and lack of ability, but that was a postponement, as we can see now this season. By the same token, we're still pressing high and still generating lots of turnovers, nothing has been abandoned. The Wolves and Spurs matches you highlight are both good examples of what we're doing well, and what we aren't doing well, and how the latter is holding us back. In both matches we generated tons of high turnovers, and would have been out of sight if we had made the most of them, but in both we were vulnerable and exposed due to players not committing to the press. Mount then got injured, which is why he's been out of the team, and I'd like to see him back in it sooner rather than later.

Agree, Postecoglou has more honors to his name, but they are from Japan, Australia and Scotland.
I would argue that successful years in Seria A and the Premier League counts for just as much as winning trophies in farmers leagues.
This is subjective then. I'd suggest you're overvaluing mid table finishes under no pressure or expectations whatsoever, as compared to actually winning things in several farmers league (with a team of said farmers), and having the experience of high pressure and expectations with Celtic. At United playing nice football and finishing 6th wouldn't be good enough, whereas winning stuff would be.

ETH has had the opportunities to sign his lynchpins - over 400mil spent. De Zerbi and Brighton have spent a quarter of that in the same time period.
Beyond Martinez, I dont think you could say any have been bona fide successes.
De Zerbi hasn't spent that money though, Brighton's excellent recruitment team have. If you were telling me we should be signing them, I'd be totally on board. As for ETH signing his lynchpins, he has and they led us to an improved finish last season. This season they've all been injured. If De Zerbi was in the same situation, forced to use a makeshift defence and at points having almost all of the players he signed being out injured, we wouldn't look great trying to play his style either.

GreatDane

I would be open to Mckenna.

We have had multiple failures with managers with a great cv.

There's not exactly an abundance of great managers around currently anyway.

Mckenna would be a really bold interesting choice.
But would the dressing room bosses respect him enough? If he had the balls to bench the likes of Rashford and Bruno, would they try and turn the mood against him?
Im not against a young manager, but he needs to be strong mentally.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The issue we've got is that we've gone all in on ETH so whoever replaces him is stuck with the majority of his signings for a good while.

Also, you can't give it to a manager with no pedigree now as they'll get chewed up and spat out by our squad the second they make a decision they don't like.

Carlo Ancelotti is the only manager I can think of that could have the desired impact, but hasn't he agreed to go to Brazil at the end of the season?

Carrick or McKenna could be interesting options if we can see out another 18 months of Ten Hag, but you'd imagine the problems that have arisen are only going to get worse the longer he's here.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
But would the dressing room bosses respect him enough? If he had the balls to bench the likes of Rashford and Bruno, would they try and turn the mood against him?
Im not against a young manager, but he needs to be strong mentally.
This is my main issue, kicking Sancho out of the squad for training issues and flaunting the arguments online seems to have caused cracks, we're the manager was 100% justified in doing so. Drop the poster boys from the side and you'll see the exact same response

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
You lot are out of your fecking minds if you think Carrick or Mackena are up to it, WTF am I actually reading.

Beggars belief and utterly brainless.

Would be worse than Ole and would be sacked within 2 months, Jesus Christ, have a word.

You’d need a big manager to come in Ancelotti would be the only choice but widely known he’s off to Brazil.

There isn’t anyone.

USREDEVIL

ETH deserves the entire year unless we completely fall off a cliff. This City result was expected. He could have started anyone on our squad and we'd probably have lost anyways. The performance was not good and we've been crap this year but we've had so many injuries, bad form, players just coming into the team. Early doors. We'll beat Fulham, get players back and start to turn things around. I have hope we can salvage the season. Only at the end of the season should we take a long look at our progress.

A few of his signings have not been good, but he needs some room to make mistakes.

Any talk of dumping him is way too reactionary and ignores the shit he's had to deal with.

Blood Mage

I don't have a clue, I was all in on Ten Hag like most of the fanbase and look how it's turned out. A world class sporting director should be hiring our next manager, not the fans and not Richard Arnold.

crossy1686

career ending
You lot are out of your fecking minds if you think Carrick or Mackena are up to it, WTF am I actually reading.

Would be worse than Ole and would be sacked within 2 months, Jesus Christ, have a word.

You’d need a big manager to come in Ancelotti would be the only choice but widely known he’s off to Brazil.

There isn’t anyone.
Valverde did well at Barcelona and was sacked unfairly. Zidane could be worth a punt if he can be persuaded. Maybe Flick? Failing those you might have to knick an international manager if you want a big name.

mu4c_20le

This is my main issue, kicking Sancho out of the squad for training issues and flaunting the arguments online seems to have caused cracks, we're the manager was 100% justified in doing so. Drop the poster boys from the side and you'll see the exact same response
We've been playing poorly long before that, though it was probably the last straw on the camel's back.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't have a clue, I was all in on Ten Hag like most of the fanbase and look how it's turned out. A world class sporting director should be hiring our next manager, not the fans and not Richard Arnold.
Why? So we can blame someone else when they manager fecks up again? The thing is about DOF is that they seem to be unable to replicate anything outside of the club they originally did well in.

daveskimufc

I truly don't know. I think everyone who has come in has stated in one way or another "we will play my way, I will drop underperformers, I have the b@lls"

Van gaal tried to bore us to death, but did Introduce some kids, mourinho picked one kid and then kept brining it up as if he promotes all the youth. And turned on his own players.

I honestly want to see someone drop the shit£ players, play the kids, talk positively but not naively, and swap the spend spend spend approach for an actual scouting dept.

MegadrivePerson

There isn’t anyone.
We aren't getting a manager better than Klopp or Guardiola so why not get a young manager in to build for the future?

Mckenna has worked miracles at Ipswich and that's what's needed here, a miracle worker!

JBG

I truly don't know. I think everyone who has come in has stated in one way or another "we will play my way, I will drop underperformers, I have the b@lls"

Van gaal tried to bore us to death, but did Introduce some kids, mourinho picked one kid and then kept brining it up as if he promotes all the youth. And turned on his own players.

I honestly want to see someone drop the shit£ players, play the kids, talk positively but not naively, and swap the spend spend spend approach for an actual scouting dept.

That last part is something I written in my only 2 posts so far. Drop Rashford, Bruno, Mctominay etc. Play Hannibal, Mainoo(if fit), Garnacho and even Mount, players who play with energy but also have techincal ability to keep the ball and also look for better passing opportunities. Bruno does play with energy but he also loses the ball so often when trying stupid flicks or unnecessary one touch passes.

gaffs

You seem incapable of discussing this without hyperbole and obvious falsehoods. He absolutely has not abandoned any of his plans. We were still playing out from the back last season, although not as much as he wanted due to personnel and lack of ability, but that was a postponement, as we can see now this season. By the same token, we're still pressing high and still generating lots of turnovers, nothing has been abandoned. The Wolves and Spurs matches you highlight are both good examples of what we're doing well, and what we aren't doing well, and how the latter is holding us back. In both matches we generated tons of high turnovers, and would have been out of sight if we had made the most of them, but in both we were vulnerable and exposed due to players not committing to the press. Mount then got injured, which is why he's been out of the team, and I'd like to see him back in it sooner rather than later.
He is abandoning his plans. He is no longer playing with the two eights. Tell me why he signed Mount and how he plans to use Mount and Bruno in one team?

Yes, we are making a lot of high turnovers. Non have lead to a goal. Personally, i think we may be winning balls high up the pitch, but there often isnt the support there to capitalize. It is not like when Klopp was gegenpressing and had the team collectively pressing at pace.

This is subjective then. I'd suggest you're overvaluing mid table finishes under no pressure or expectations whatsoever, as compared to actually winning things in several farmers league (with a team of said farmers), and having the experience of high pressure and expectations with Celtic. At United playing nice football and finishing 6th wouldn't be good enough, whereas winning stuff would be.
It is subjective. Had most fans, and even Daniel Levy, had a choose of Ange or De Zerbi and the start of this season, most would have picked De Zerbi. Spurs and Levy lucked out on getting Ange. We all know Spurs were turned down by multiple managers.

De Zerbi hasn't spent that money though, Brighton's excellent recruitment team have. If you were telling me we should be signing them, I'd be totally on board. As for ETH signing his lynchpins, he has and they led us to an improved finish last season. This season they've all been injured. If De Zerbi was in the same situation, forced to use a makeshift defence and at points having almost all of the players he signed being out injured, we wouldn't look great trying to play his style either.
Fair. Brightons analytic system is driving the player selection, but you have to think De Zerbi has a say.

Agree, Martinez is a lynchpin and he is out. That is big. But he has had most of his other signings this season. Casemiro looks awful and will prove to be a terrible signing as his powers are waning. Anthony is a flop. Mount is on the bench. Onana, the jury is out. Amrabat, early days but looks like he is not top Prem level currently.

Im not calling for ETH to be sacked. And I am not saying De Zerbi would be an instant success. He is an intense character who drills his team. His training sessions are apparently all about positioning and routines and the ball may not come into play for hours at a time. Our players won't like that, but you can't bring in a manager who is just going to resort back to type and play as we have been doing for years. Someone has to break the mold.

I would only be happy to see De Zerbi if he had the DoF above him. No point in bringing in anyone into this current sh1t show.
But likewise, i would like to see ETH continue with structure above him, but at this rate, we may not get to that point.

Who would you want to see if ETH was sacked tmrw?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
A great post, but I would argue it hasn’t turned out yet- we are still mid journey and need to have a bit of resolve and back this manager ( not necessarily with money but certainly with confidence and trust)

C'est Moi Cantona

Nothing should happen until the takeover is done in whatever form, and whoever is doing it has some proper structure and plan in place, until then it's a waste of time.

Hopefully Ten Hag will still be man, but as big fan of his I am just starting to wonder if I've got it wrong.

SER19

You can't seriously think of sacking a manager ten games into a season, when most games have been played with patched up teams. We need some semblance of consistency with a line up before the discussion has any real merit. Last season was generally considered a step in the right direction and the start of this season has been awful - but has to be taken in context of injury list and some of the worst officiating I've ever seen.

HotOne

Rather give it Keane. He seems to give a lot out when doing punditry. See if he can get this useless squad to do anything.
I'd love to see Keane in the job but it would never happen unfortunately.

James35

You can't seriously think of sacking a manager ten games into a season, when most games have been played with patched up teams. We need some semblance of consistency with a line up before the discussion has any real merit. Last season was generally considered a step in the right direction and the start of this season has been awful - but has to be taken in context of injury list and some of the worst officiating I've ever seen.
We have played 14 games and lost 7 of them conceding 19 goals…playing some of the worst football I have ever seen. Yes injuries are bad but it’s still a shocking run to get battered in 50% of your games played, we can’t even draw a bloody game, it’s either struggle to an unconvincing win and get totally out classed and lose heavily. The team and manager are in a terrible state right now and with the games coming up we are likely to lose a lot more and I don’t think more of the same can be accepted personally.

I so wanted this manager to be the one but he is getting very close to Moyes level results wise. I don’t think he will be sacked soon but unfortunately I also don’t think things will get better. Maybe something happens when Jim gets his stake and some restructuring takes place. Until then the suffering will continue.

madzo2007

De Zerbi would not come, might be tempted by the name of the club but one look at the structure and state of the club he'd run a mile. Brighton have a top class structure and probably have managers lined up if/when De Zerbi goes to keep to the same style as him and Potter

The job is way too big for Carrick & McKenna so early in their career. We'd be in the same cycle as we have been for the last 10 years. Probably get off to a good start and then the wheels will come off and fans will wonder why we gave the job to such an inexperienced manager.

We were told this is a long term appointment yet fans are willing to write it all off after a poor start to his second season. A transition period result in up and down performances and results.

cpresc

Sacking EtH is like a narcissist leaving their partner

Within 6 months the new one will be as drained as the current one

The Hilton

He is abandoning his plans. He is no longer playing with the two eights. Tell me why he signed Mount and how he plans to use Mount and Bruno in one team?

Yes, we are making a lot of high turnovers. Non have lead to a goal. Personally, i think we may be winning balls high up the pitch, but there often isnt the support there to capitalize. It is not like when Klopp was gegenpressing and had the team collectively pressing at pace.
He isn't playing two 8's because one of them got injured. You're clinging to that accusation but it just isn't true. The overall style is the same, he's just had to make some adjustments due to lack of personnel.

As for the high turnovers, I disagree entirely with your suggestion why. We're winning balls high with plenty of players free, it's the execution that's letting us down (poor passes, hesitation, etc).

It is subjective. Had most fans, and even Daniel Levy, had a choose of Ange or De Zerbi and the start of this season, most would have picked De Zerbi. Spurs and Levy lucked out on getting Ange. We all know Spurs were turned down by multiple managers.
Luck or not, he was shortlisted by someone who saw what he could bring to the team. Right now there's no comparison between the two, Ange has equalled De Zerbi's best achievement, which is "plays nice football", but he's also won some stuff and done much better so far this season with a less suitable team.

Fair. Brightons analytic system is driving the player selection, but you have to think De Zerbi has a say.
I'm sure he gets a veto, but there's no way he's out scouting and identifying targets. Unfortunately that's something we're still relying on the manager for, and that's a problem no matter who's at the helm - it's far too much for one person to do well by itself, let alone when combined with actually coaching the team.

Agree, Martinez is a lynchpin and he is out. That is big. But he has had most of his other signings this season. Casemiro looks awful and will prove to be a terrible signing as his powers are waning. Anthony is a flop. Mount is on the bench. Onana, the jury is out. Amrabat, early days but looks like he is not top Prem level currently.
Casemiro wasn't Ten Hag's signing though, the club put that together and offered it in lieu of De Jong who we weren't able to get. Amrabat is a loan signing. Anthony I agree with, the problem there is that he physically isn't up to it. Mount you aren't being fair as he's been injured.

Im not calling for ETH to be sacked. And I am not saying De Zerbi would be an instant success. He is an intense character who drills his team. His training sessions are apparently all about positioning and routines and the ball may not come into play for hours at a time. Our players won't like that, but you can't bring in a manager who is just going to resort back to type and play as we have been doing for years. Someone has to break the mold.
I wouldn't mind if you were, as long as you were making accurate statements about the what was going wrong, and had a good idea as to who could replace him. Things may not be working, but he's clearly trying to persist with the change in style. We could go back to the approach of last season and immediately see a more solid setup, but we need to take steps forward.

As for De Zerbi, it's an act of serious faith to expect his intense character and sessions that our players won't like to not cause problems. De Zerbi hasn't demonstrated anywhere near the kind of authority that Ten Hag has, and yet the latter has had to put down multiple mutinies from players who have gotten the previous two managers fired. This isn't an easy bunch to get in line.

I would only be happy to see De Zerbi if he had the DoF above him. No point in bringing in anyone into this current sh1t show.
But likewise, i would like to see ETH continue with structure above him, but at this rate, we may not get to that point.
I agree with you about this, but it's more than just a DoF, we need a department in place that has a style of play to aim for, has identified the KPIs and stats to look for that would indicate a high chance of success, and is able to identify players using that data that we expect to fit in well and contribute. Without that, no manager has much of a chance of success here.

Having said that, based on the various appointments and noises coming out of the club, it does sound like we've started to put something like this together, but it's very much in the infancy stage.

Who would you want to see if ETH was sacked tmrw?
I have high hopes for the approach the Ten Hag seems to be aiming for, to me it reminds me of Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool, which I've been jealous of for years, so I'd like us to keep heading down that road. To that end, my ideal candidate is probably Nagelsmann - he's got the right profile stylistically, he's had experience of big high pressure clubs at Bayern, and has won trophies within that environment, showing he can cope with it.

luke511

There isn’t anyone.
I’d say this statement is brainless, in comparison to suggestions of Carrick and McKenna.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I would be open to Mckenna.

We have had multiple failures with managers with a great cv.

There's not exactly an abundance of great managers around currently anyway.

Mckenna would be a really bold interesting choice.
Yeah it would be bold and interesting but not exactly competent or reassuring. The logic in your post is incredible though. If you own a business, I'd love to see you apply it to your own hiring practices. The last few people that were qualified didn't perform up to par so we are now trying Mick Phelan as a neurosurgeon.

Cathy Ferguson

Sacking EtH is like a narcissist leaving their partner

Within 6 months the new one will be as drained as the current one
I would give ETH 3 months to improve then sack him, IF there is a decent candidate available. ETH has done too many mistakes but the lack of great available managers might save him until May and a humiliating top 8 finish. Murtough must also leave, ideally now, and the scouts who identified Mount, Antony, and Sancho.

gaffs

He isn't playing two 8's because one of them got injured. You're clinging to that accusation but it just isn't true. The overall style is the same, he's just had to make some adjustments due to lack of personnel.

As for the high turnovers, I disagree entirely with your suggestion why. We're winning balls high with plenty of players free, it's the execution that's letting us down (poor passes, hesitation, etc).
What you talking about? Mount has been available now for the past 4 games, as has Bruno. So why not go back to the two 8's system?

It because the penny has dropped with ETH that it doesn't work. He relises that he cant play that system with either Casemiro or Amrabat as a single defensive mid.

Luck or not, he was shortlisted by someone who saw what he could bring to the team. Right now there's no comparison between the two, Ange has equalled De Zerbi's best achievement, which is "plays nice football", but he's also won some stuff and done much better so far this season with a less suitable team.
De Zerbi has taken Brighton to Europe. The first time in their clubs history.

Celtic have won countless titles. Ange did nothing special there. Celtic are 5 points clear this year with a manager who got his team relegated from the Prem. That puts the Scottish Prem into contexts.

I'm sure he gets a veto, but there's no way he's out scouting and identifying targets. Unfortunately that's something we're still relying on the manager for, and that's a problem no matter who's at the helm - it's far too much for one person to do well by itself, let alone when combined with actually coaching the team.
Agree. It should not be upto ETH to do the scouting and coaching.

Casemiro wasn't Ten Hag's signing though, the club put that together and offered it in lieu of De Jong who we weren't able to get. Amrabat is a loan signing. Anthony I agree with, the problem there is that he physically isn't up to it. Mount you aren't being fair as he's been injured.
He didnt veto it.

If he wanted a FDJ type, speak up. Tell the club.

FDJ was never happening. He was never leaving Barca with all the money owed to him and he and his g/f loving the city.

I wouldn't mind if you were, as long as you were making accurate statements about the what was going wrong, and had a good idea as to who could replace him. Things may not be working, but he's clearly trying to persist with the change in style. We could go back to the approach of last season and immediately see a more solid setup, but we need to take steps forward.

As for De Zerbi, it's an act of serious faith to expect his intense character and sessions that our players won't like to not cause problems. De Zerbi hasn't demonstrated anywhere near the kind of authority that Ten Hag has, and yet the latter has had to put down multiple mutinies from players who have gotten the previous two managers fired. This isn't an easy bunch to get in line.
Just because "This isn't an easy bunch to get in line" as you say, that doesnt mean you keep bringing in managers to suit them.

And i dont think they are that tough. ETH and the club has done a good job of getting rid of some of the players who were here to just receive a salary.

I agree with you about this, but it's more than just a DoF, we need a department in place that has a style of play to aim for, has identified the KPIs and stats to look for that would indicate a high chance of success, and is able to identify players using that data that we expect to fit in well and contribute. Without that, no manager has much of a chance of success here.

Having said that, based on the various appointments and noises coming out of the club, it does sound like we've started to put something like this together, but it's very much in the infancy stage.
I hope this is what INEOS bring.

I have high hopes for the approach the Ten Hag seems to be aiming for, to me it reminds me of Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool, which I've been jealous of for years, so I'd like us to keep heading down that road. To that end, my ideal candidate is probably Nagelsmann - he's got the right profile stylistically, he's had experience of big high pressure clubs at Bayern, and has won trophies within that environment, showing he can cope with it.
The guy that rides in on a scooter? Sacked by Bayern. You think our players are going to respect him?:lol:

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

We have played 14 games and lost 7 of them conceding 19 goals…playing some of the worst football I have ever seen. Yes injuries are bad but it’s still a shocking run to get battered in 50% of your games played, we can’t even draw a bloody game, it’s either struggle to an unconvincing win and get totally out classed and lose heavily. The team and manager are in a terrible state right now and with the games coming up we are likely to lose a lot more and I don’t think more of the same can be accepted personally.

I so wanted this manager to be the one but he is getting very close to Moyes level results wise. I don’t think he will be sacked soon but unfortunately I also don’t think things will get better. Maybe something happens when Jim gets his stake and some restructuring takes place. Until then the suffering will continue.
We played poorly when everyone was fit and we have so far scored 2 more goals than Luton. That is what happens when we have clowns at every level running the club.

Xaviboy

Knowing our luck Radcliffe and Co come in and bring own team in from DOF and recruitment will change then Ten Hag will be gone and radcliffe and Co will give job to Gareth Southgate once Euros is over :mad:

Cathy Ferguson

What you talking about? Mount has been available now for the past 4 games, as has Bruno. So why not go back to the two 8's system?

It because the penny has dropped with ETH that it doesn't work. He relises that he cant play that system with either Casemiro or Amrabat as a single defensive mid.

De Zerbi has taken Brighton to Europe. The first time in their clubs history.

Celtic have won countless titles. Ange did nothing special there. Celtic are 5 points clear this year with

[/QUOTE]
McTominay and Bruno played as No8s against FCK, right? Didn't work and then Eriksen using last year's system won us the game...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our supposed shite for brains manager still managed to beat the tactical genius in his biggest game for Brighton. We need a manager that can handle pressure. Everyone can mention Ange at this stage of the season, but there's fecking zero pressure on him and his squad. We need to work out what the feck we want to be as a club, I don't think anyone can coherently name our core principles of play that we aspire to. That's the first thing we need to define, instead of empty, nostalgic, platitudes.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Would like to see Xabi Alonso but his Liverpool links won't help us get his attention.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We should have a squad capable of competing, not just the 11 best players.

gaffs

McTominay and Bruno played as No8s against FCK, right? Didn't work and then Eriksen using last year's system won us the game...
Yep. He has his chance to play Mount and Bruno there, but picked trending McTominay.

Would rather play McTominay, the guy he tried to ship off to West Ham and Fulham, rather than Mount, who he made his number 1 target and paid 60mil for. Please, make it make sense!!!

Im sorry, but it does not look like there will be a way to play both Mount and Bruno in the same starting XI.