Who replaces Ten Hag?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
There is always a manager out there. It’s a matter of whether the current manager is capable.

Managers fail all the time. Clubs do great things with managers that have already failed elsewhere. That manager in football with the flawless record doesn’t exist and that seem to be the question being asked here.

I believe ETH suits the vision the club wants and I’m fine with that but it doesn’t mean there are no equals or better out there. My main issue is this cultish attitude and the belief people cannot question the ability of our manager when things are not going alright.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah they're ruthless, that's why they are at the top. They know how to keep things from becoming stale. We always wait too long to let things go, whether it's players or managers.
We haven’t won for 10 fecking years - our clubs are not the same and it’s blatantly obvious as to why!

Baxquux

Or Madrid.
Exactly. Everyone has a 'project'. Moyes had a project. He wasn't even completely wrong in all his analysis - the midfield needed more steel and poise and he had kroos in mind for the latter. Still doesn't mean we should have kept him on. Most successful clubs are very ruthless.

It's not just about results either, but about trends and recurring aspects which the managers decisions around personnel, subs or, seemingly, instructions, don't seem to address, beyond a press-conference or two saying we weren't up to it. And even then we've seen him defend some poor performances. Arteta was saved by evidence that he was improving Arsenal's style, as well as the fact that they recruited and developed a balanced midfield. If we had a Odegaard type instead of Bruno and a proper midfield destroyer able to pass it and not on the way down, then we'd look better, but they also have someone with a clearer, appropriate vision of play, and maybe just a smarter coach; Arteta's annoying and made a couple of errors in the run-in, but he's a very intelligent guy in footballing terms, as attested to by all his former coaches, Pep etc. It's possible he's just seeing things ETH can't or, more charitably, is too fixed in his philosophy to currently see.

Likewise, Klopp was helped by a proper structure but also discernible evidence of a style of play that was going to bring them top-end success soon, and evidence of success in a cut-throat battle for the Bundesliga against Bayern, a whole different level to Holland: that counts for more than a decent CL run with Ajax. We've mostly been awful since mid-February, with the exception of when we played the youngsters in the 'minor' cup against a side more focussed on the league, and it's fair to ask why.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Sacking managers every 2 years isn’t naive of course. It will fix our problems, it’s worked so well the last 10 years.

Ten Hag isn’t the problem here.
Giving Ten Hag £400m with no plan is the issue, the same as it would be giving that money to Pep or Mourinho. You’re setting managers up to fail from the off because they will always prefer a new signing to having to coach someone to be better. The next manager who comes in won’t get any money and he’ll have to work with what we’ve got so it might be the best thing that could happen.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
We don’t have continued or short term success. Naive is thinking that the longer you keep someone in a job the more it will payoff in the end. The reality is we’re already £400m worth of fecked with these signings and people won’t be happy until we’re £800m fecked instead.
Last season 3rd and a cup wasn’t short term success? Erik has already proven himself a winner. And the money spent is down to the DOF to negotiate for the players the manager wants. I’m sure he isn’t demanding we pay stupid amounts for average players.

JJ12

Giving Ten Hag £400m with no plan is the issue, the same as it would be giving that money to Pep or Mourinho. You’re setting managers up to fail from the off because they will always prefer a new signing to having to coach someone to be better. The next manager who comes in won’t get any money and he’ll have to work with what we’ve got so it might be the best thing that could happen.
Yeah and then give him 6 months with somebody else’s players and sack him when it inevitably goes to shit.

New ownership is the only way our club changes. The only way.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
:lol:
Have not thought about that, that makes it even more stupid.
Honestly, I could maybe understand why they did it in numerical order prior to this season (still lazy as hell) - but woth Onana here, its unforgivable.

We're literally shit, top to bottom, I'm surprised the kit numbers are printed straight.

crossy1686

career ending
Last season 3rd and a cup wasn’t short term success? Erik has already proven himself a winner. And the money spent is down to the DOF to negotiate for the players the manager wants. I’m sure he isn’t demanding we pay stupid amounts for average players.
For me? Last season was the bare minimum of my expectations when it comes to Manchester United. Cup run and top 4. We spent the entire second half of last season looking shite and it’s continued into this season. The manager gets the chance to veto any signing for any reason, ten hag knew how much these players cost and he didn’t care. Everyone should have asked if certain players are really worth the prices they’re paying or is there value elsewhere.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah and then give him 6 months with somebody else’s players and sack him when it inevitably goes to shit.

New ownership is the only way our club changes. The only way.
And that’s a bad thing why? Shit managers get sacked. Good managers keep their jobs. Are we supposed to keep shit managers and hope they come good? The owners aren’t the ones coaching the players or subbing Harry fecking Maguire on when we need two goals

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There's a pattern here. It's not the manager guys.

Plant0x84

Yeah they're ruthless, that's why they are at the top. They know how to keep things from becoming stale. We always wait too long to let things go, whether it's players or managers.
We’ve had 8 managers in 10 years. I don’t think letting managers go is a problem. It also isn’t necessarily the answer, evidently.

mu4c_20le

Honestly last season felt like we rode on a new manager bounce after a toxic season. We defended well, but did not really show any promising patterns of play. We finished 3rd in a season where our rivals did very poorly, and we scored the least amount of goals in the top 5, and 10 less than Newcastle (!!).

The EFL Cup run was probably one of the easiest in recent history. Our oppositon was Villa, Burnley, Charlton Athletic, Forest, Newcastle.

Has he really proven himself?

mu4c_20le

We’ve had 8 managers in 10 years. I don’t think letting managers go is a problem. It also isn’t necessarily the answer, evidently.
No the problem is hiring past it dinosaurs. ETH is the only modern manager we've ever hired in the last 10 years. I get the attachment, he's a classy guy etc, but also feels out of his depth.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Any new manager will need a fortune to sort this mess of a squad out. Which we haven't got, we've blown it.

JJ12

And that’s a bad thing why? Shit managers get sacked. Good managers keep their jobs. Are we supposed to keep shit managers and hope they come good? The owners aren’t the ones coaching the players or subbing Harry fecking Maguire on when we need two goals
Shit manager :lol:

Same cycle, every fecking time. The club is broken and so are the fans.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’re 1 year into a project that could take 5 to turn around. The club was a fecking mess when he came in.

Winrar

I would call for ETH’s sacking but I really can’t think of a suitable replacement.

DeZerbi? Zidane? Ancelotti? Don’t know if any of them will be interested in fixing the mess we’re in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Does not matter until those above the manager go.

Plant0x84

Honestly last season felt like we rode on a new manager bounce after a toxic season. We defended well, but did not really show any promising patterns of play. We finished 3rd in a season where our rivals did very poorly, and we scored the least amount of goals in the top 5, and 10 less than Newcastle (!!).

The EFL Cup run was probably one of the easiest in recent history. Our oppositon was Villa, Burnley, Charlton Athletic, Forest, Newcastle.

Has he really proven himself?
The old adage goes ‘you can only beat the teams in from t if you’. We won the EFL, we went to the final of the FA cup. We finished behind City (universally acknowledged super team with undefeated cyborg manager) and Arsenal (who should have won the league but bottled it). We also went deep in the Europa and were basically undone by stupid individual mistakes and not having any fit available strikers.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
And then it will take another 10 years to undo the damage done by keeping a manager out of his depth at the club for 5 years and letting him buy whoever he wants
But the alternative is to bring in another manager who will spend the first year of his tenure shipping out all of Ten Hags signings? Yeah no thanks, I’d rather let Erik see it through.

lsd

The Oracle
Any new manager will need a fortune to sort this mess of a squad out. Which we haven't got, we've blown it.

How much has Ange spent at Spurs? Di Zerbi at Brighton?

How come other clubs can hire a manager that comes in and immediately improves the squad and is able to play good football without spending 400 million?

crossy1686

career ending
But the alternative is to bring in another manager who will spend the first year of his tenure shipping out all of Ten Hags signings? Yeah no thanks, I’d rather let Erik see it through.
No, that’s over. You work with the team we have and if you’re lucky you’ll get £50m in the summer. No more of this ‘manger needs his own players’ bollocks. Were the only club in the world that do this.

crossy1686

career ending

How come other clubs can hire a manager that comes in and immediately improves the squad and is able to play good football without spending 400 million?
Because that’s it, they know there’s no money and their reputation is dependant on them getting something out of the current team. Our managers are told they can have whoever they want instead.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Take a chance on the guy who is keeping the Brazil seat warm until Ancelotti goes there. If we are so determined to disregard modern football principles in order to keep Rashford happy and rely solely on Bruno's tricks, we might as well go all in. At least, it'd be fun. Embrace the chaos of having very little structure on the pitch. What's the worst thing that can happen? If it doesn't work, get the next one in. Am i right?

Plant0x84

No the problem is hiring past it dinosaurs. ETH is the only modern manager we've ever hired in the last 10 years. I get the attachment, he's a classy guy etc, but also feels out of his depth.
This post feels pretty contradictory, and I don’t agree about him being out of his depth. The way he dealt with Ronaldo, the way he’s dealing with Sancho etc show for me he’s bossing it.

lsd

The Oracle
Because that’s it, they know there’s no money and their reputation is dependant on them getting something out of the current team. Our managers are told they can have whoever they want instead.

How on earth is that an excuse for Ten Hag to produce such tumescent football void of any plan or style of play?

Ten Hag has made us even worse

GMoore23

What's Galtier's tactical style like.

He beat PSG (Messi, Neymar, Mbappe) to the league title with Lille so he must be a pretty damn good manager.
Won the league again as PSG manager afterwards.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Ange €248m. Spent it well mind.