Who replaces Ten Hag?

georgipep

To be honest I can actually see something like this happening if ETH was to go before the season ended, if nothing else Giggs is held in high esteem at United and would play attacking football even if it could end up a disaster.

Thank you, I’m so bored of seeing people stating we should or should have brought VDS in as our Director Of Football when he was CEO at Ajax and Overmars was the Director Of Football.

I wouldn’t be against VDS as CEO instead of Arnold and Overmars coming in from the Belgian club he’s now at as Director Of Football but if ETH is likely to be gone by the end of the season that’d be pointless, we DO need a Director Of Football in though so we have continuity in our set style of play and players brought in to play that style.
Giggs? Attacking football? I suggest you go back and watch the games with him.

RedIan

Newcastle are way ahead of us right now and on a huge upward trend, Eddie Howe would not leave Newcastle to join united and nor will any of their player right now !
yep a full 1 point more than us and we have had a real bad start.

Zed 101

I don't think ETH will be under threat unless we lose the next 3 or 4, if I was to have to pick right now I quite like Thomas Frank, but IF ETH was on the verge I would expect us to be heavily linked with Unai Emery

Cloud7

I don't think ETH will be under threat unless we lose the next 3 or 4, if I was to have to pick right now I quite like Thomas Frank, but IF ETH was on the verge I would expect us to be heavily linked with Unai Emery
Emery is a quality manager, but like Moyes he showed that the level he functions best at is where he is right now

redcucumber

The difference is that De Zerbi has proven his pedigree in the PL which ETH hadn't before he joined us. Some fans argue that De Zerbi is overachieving due to the well oiled Brighton machine. Might be true. ETH is definately being found out and is on a sacking trajectory. He is probably safe for another couple of months but our club must be planning for a scenario where we finish outside top 6 or top 8, which our current poor form suggests.
It doesn't always translate. Moyes, Rodgers, Potter. All these guys overperformed at smaller clubs in the PL and then failed to make the step up to the big time. It would be another huge reset.

James35

This thread will be popular if we fail in CL and then get pumped by City. I’m assuming even we can beat Sheffield Utd.

Longlivekeano

get di zerbi and 1 brighton GK, 1 Brighton CB, 1 Brighton CM and 1 Brighton CF: just give them 250m pounds for all as a package. And I think we’ll instantaneously improve

MegadrivePerson

It's a moot point because he will most likely be here until the end of the season unless he has a really disastrous run of results.

There's hardly a long list of glowing potential replacements anyway.

The likes of Zidane and De Zebri have been mentioned, but Zidane wants the French National team job and De Zebri wouldn't have been a name anybody would have suggested twelve months ago.

There's a real shortage of top quality football managers to choose from.

m1tch

get di zerbi and 1 brighton GK, 1 Brighton CB, 1 Brighton CM and 1 Brighton CF: just give them 250m pounds for all as a package. And I think we’ll instantaneously improve
Unless all 5 of them made the massive jump up in level required then all this would achieve is helping us stay between mid table and 6th, and continue with disappointing in Europe.

What's more likely is all of them would fail to perform to even their current levels under the intense pressure and expectation. Current levels that aren't really any better than what we're achieving in an awful spell.

Yakuza_devils

Many football people rate De Zebri highly and he is even rumoured to be one of the top candidate to take over Pep when leave.

If he goes to City he will not have many problem because City have the players fit his playing style.

Whereas if he comes to us he will struggle. ETH style of play is totally different from De Zebri. We can't keep changing manager with totally different style of play.

Cathy Ferguson

It doesn't always translate. Moyes, Rodgers, Potter. All these guys overperformed at smaller clubs in the PL and then failed to make the step up to the big time. It would be another huge reset.
True, but ETH is really struggling. Poor finish to last season, poor preseason and abmysal start to this season even when most of the players were available. I hope he turn things around this season because this is nowhere good enough.

OrcaFat

I don’t think so. We just need to keep doing what we’re doing for several years. That’s mainly how Brighton kept improving. They stuck at what they were doing.

Remember the geese

The common notion appears to be that by bringing in a manager who suits your current playing style/tactical preferences, it provides greater scope for continuity and ultimately, success. I remember thinking that Pep would have been a great transition and extension on what Van Gaal was attempting to produce at us. Just taking the link posted by @jasT1981 at face value, though with a huge pinch of salt, question becomes how similar are ten Hag and Ancelotti stylistically and who would be similar to Ancelotti if you were thinking of a long term successor for him?

didz

Weird how so many are pointing to De Zerbi being reported as Pep's successor would make him a good candidate when, before he came here, Ten Hag was touted as exactly the same.

Melvin Udall

Joel Miller

I can see the appeal of De Zerbi. But I always wonder why Zidane hasn’t found his way into another job? Does he not fancy it or is there some sort of feeling that his Madrid achievements were more about the team? Because that didn’t seem to hold Pep back who had his pick of clubs after Barca.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I can see the appeal of De Zerbi. But I always wonder why Zidane hasn’t found his way into another job? Does he not fancy it or is there some sort of feeling that his Madrid achievements were more about the team? Because that didn’t seem to hold Pep back who had his pick of clubs after Barca.
He has achieved everything. He will pick and choose a project he thinks is worthy of his time.

Rednotdead

Well, one thing is clear - with injured players now returning Ten Hag is running out of excuses. Let’s see what happens.

gantherbale

It's a moot point because he will most likely be here until the end of the season unless he has a really disastrous run of results.

There's hardly a long list of glowing potential replacements Tutuapp 9Apps anyway.

The likes of Zidane and De Zebri have been mentioned, but Zidane wants the French National team job and De Zebri wouldn't have been a name anybody would have suggested twelve months ago.

There's a real shortage of top quality football managers to choose from.
I think DeZerbi want to sign with Madrid

Laurencio

The common notion appears to be that by bringing in a manager who suits your current playing style/tactical preferences, it provides greater scope for continuity and ultimately, success. I remember thinking that Pep would have been a great transition and extension on what Van Gaal was attempting to produce at us. Just taking the link posted by @jasT1981 at face value, though with a huge pinch of salt, question becomes how similar are ten Hag and Ancelotti stylistically and who would be similar to Ancelotti if you were thinking of a long term successor for him?
They aren't really similar at all. Ten Hag has an ideology and is seemingly very set on how players should execute their roles, with little deviation possible for the system to keep fucntioning. Ancelotti is more of a man manager with a huge scope for tactical adpatability, and there are few like him. Masimilliano Allegri, Pochettino and Eddie Howe probably fit the bill the most. There are probably some young managers I'm forgetting, maybe Amorim or something. However, we've gone the Ten Hag route. The style he wants to play requires very specific types of players, which we have slowly been buying- even though most of them aren't on the level they need to be for a very good side. Either we stick to this as a core-philosophy, or we uproot and throw most of his players on the trash-heap (again), and start over. Luckily our best aquisition (Hojlund) is a complete player and should fit any tactical vision, regardless of who is manager.

If we do keep going down the Ten Hag route however, I think it's only fair we are honest about how expensive that will be. Our two best players, Rashford and Bruno, arguably aren't that well suited for the system. Among those who are suitable, very few are good enough to be long-term stars for the team. We could stick to it, and keep building a team in that image - but it will be very expensive to do so, and it won't be quick. Maybe a great DOF can find bargains to build a good side, but being in direct competition with City and Liverpool for the same type of players and talent isn't the best place to be. Perhaps it was a mistake to go down this route to begin with - but we have to make a decision, and quickly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Many football people rate De Zebri highly and he is even rumoured to be one of the top candidate to take over Pep when leave.

If he goes to City he will not have many problem because City have the players fit his playing style.

Whereas if he comes to us he will struggle. ETH style of play is totally different from De Zebri. We can't keep changing manager with totally different style of play.
To me it feels weird that Pep came to City as a Champions League, La Liga and Bundesliga winner as well as shaking up the way football is played to possibly be replaced by De Zerbi who has well with Brighton.

It almost feels a little Moysey

Abraxas

The difference is that De Zerbi has proven his pedigree in the PL which ETH hadn't before he joined us. Some fans argue that De Zerbi is overachieving due to the well oiled Brighton machine. Might be true. ETH is definately being found out and is on a sacking trajectory. He is probably safe for another couple of months but our club must be planning for a scenario where we finish outside top 6 or top 8, which our current poor form suggests.
He's proven his pedigree, but only to an extent. Not over a long period of time or within a context that automatically suggests he will excel at big football clubs. What he has done is offered a snapshot of what he might be capable of at bigger clubs. He's shown talent and potential.

True, but there's nothing particularly unusual within what you're saying at the end. To me that's not really a ten Hag thing. A club like us should always be studying the available options. It's not much different to signing players, you have to also scout managers and have a finger on the pulse of what is going on. In modern football it's hard to get into a scenario where there's total stability in the manager, it will only happen where there is a manager with success beyond any reproach that also wants to sign up for multiple long term deals. That said, with the way our owners do things I wouldn't be surprised if there's a naivety and lack of planning, but of course you should be ready for scenarios where a season is a total failure.

redmanx

Im hoping that our so called board of directors are ignoring all the negativism in the media regarding ETHs future.....hoping but not optimistic because the "any way for a pinters" will vote for anything as long as they dont have to make any real decisions about it and it doesnt eat up too much golf time. ETH deserves to be given more than a season and a half and if we sack him before hes even completed this season we'll look like a bigger bunch of no hopers that we already are. Besides, what top manager would want to come to such a badly run, toxic club like ours? None if they had any sense!

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
People who don't want Simeone are spitting some shit. He would walk away after 7-0. Not just from Man UTD, he would walk away from the football.
You are ain't big anymore, you need to go basic to basics.
Defence, hard to beat, players who put some hearth for the team...
Uncle put strugling AM on the Europe map. With Manchester he would do wonders.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People who don't want Simeone are spitting some shit. He would walk away after 7-0. Not just from Man UTD, he would walk away from the football.
:lol:

OrcaFat

Good post! I don’t want Simeone but maybe I should.

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
Good post! I don’t want Simeone but maybe I should.
He would do wonders with yor budget.
And he would sack all slackers in the team. DS is still in physical form... Probably better than Dalot.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Correct.